Paint that doesn't work

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildit

Hay Seed Scientist
Neighbor
I would put this in rants but I want people to see this and know how angry I am that I've paints my downstairs with this Behr paint and am scared this will be the fate of all my walls now.
DSCN3465.jpg

This isn't where I just put paint on this is where the new paint has pealed off! I just posted video to face book of me pealing that paint on top of the can off the wall like a bad sunburn. Yes, I washed the walls before painting and was told this was a good paint for total coverage. Well, I could go Behr hunting right now I'm so mad. :mad::mad::mad:

You said downstairs. Does that mean basement? Damp walls when you did the painting could cause this.

You prepped/washed the walls which is another common cause so this should be it.

Another possibility is the paint applied isn't the same type (latex, enamel...) that was on the wall. Primer normally takes care of this issue.

Since the can says "Paint and primer in one", I'm guessing either damp walls or cheap paint (but I don't think Behr is cheap paint).

You said downstairs. Does that mean basement? Damp walls when you did the painting could cause this.

You prepped/washed the walls which is another common cause so this should be it.

Another possibility is the paint applied isn't the same type (latex, enamel...) that was on the wall. Primer normally takes care of this issue.

Since the can says "Paint and primer in one", I'm guessing either damp walls or cheap paint (but I don't think Behr is cheap paint).
No, not a basement. 1st Floor of my house with has a crawl space, in winter so low humidity.

You did something seriously wrong.
You almost always need to match types of paints.

I think some research should have been done before bashing the manufacturer.
Always read the label. Thoroughly.

Was it a brand new can of paint? Paint that has been frozen doesn't work. Also, the work surface does need a good prep. I have painted lots of my house, inside and out. In many instances, it took 4 coats, including a good base paint.

There is a special primer that is used when painting latex over oil based paint like the enamel paint used in bathrooms. If you are painting over a gloss paint you should sand the surface first. When I remodeled the bathroom I had to sand the walls and ceiling before putting the primer on. I learned that the hard way - the first shower and the paint just sagged and came off in sheets. The only thing wrong with the paint was it being latex over enamel.

Well, all I will say is I am NOT a painter, it is the same paint the contractor used in my bathroom over both old paint and unpainted walls. He washed nothing. So IF I am wrong, then he is also wrong as someone who is supposed to know as I bought the unused paint from him after he did the bathroom and gave me pointers on cutting in the corners and trim.
The effected area was pretty big and yet the rest of the room and areas above and below this spot seem fine. I don't know what is right or wrong I only know I am concerned about the paint on the rest of the downstairs of my house and in the bathroom. Will it suddenly start falling (pealing) off? If your an expert on paint please explain this and make me feel better about things.
27332640_1241449369289412_4361384880973127034_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well, all I will say is I am NOT a painter, it is the same paint the contractor used in my bathroom over both old paint and unpainted walls. He washed nothing. So IF I am wrong, then he is also wrong as someone who is supposed to know as I bought the unused paint from him after he did the bathroom and gave me pointers on cutting in the corners and trim.
Could you call your paint contractor and explain what happened so to hear what they have to say about the situation?

Since they painted your bathroom, and you bought the unused paint, they should be able to give you some advice.

Have you tried burning the house down and starting over?
NlQpbC7.gif

Seriously, if the paint is sticking everywhere else, try sanding the no go area, then paint again.

Could you call your paint contractor and explain what happened so to hear what they have to say about the situation?

Since they painted your bathroom, and you bought the unused paint, they should be able to give you some advice.

Already texted him to which he replied "what?" I've heard nothing from him since then. :dunno:
Have you tried burning the house down and starting over?
NlQpbC7.gif

Seriously, if the paint is sticking everywhere else, try sanding the no go area, then paint again.

As I understand arson is a felony and caries a prison sentence. But seriously, I did scrape with a metal putty knife, wash with acetone, dry and wet sand and the fill and smooth with crack filler. I repainted it with two coats and we'll see what happens. :good luck:

Last edited:
After the methyl ketone and spark there will be a large air exchange, you can stick the filters up yer nose.

Acetone? Holy cow, in an enclosed room? How many fingers am I holding up? :facepalm:

Don't worry I diluted the acetone with some other ketones and polyacrylates because after all my years of haz mat it takes more than acetone for me to get a buzz. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back