Picky Eater Test (from Budget101 on FB)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Asians have some rather nasty stuff they eat, fish sauce being one of them, but those foods were created out of necessity, so who knows when times get hard. I have eaten bugs, slugs and other creepy crawlers and it is all down to mental expectations over taste for those. I love organ meats, with the exception of trite and brains. I would need to find a way to disguise the textures of those before I could eat them.

I spent two weeks travelling in the less travelled parts of Szechuan province in China and lost more than a few pounds.
fermented yak milk a pass if it ever crosses your path; both, for safety and health reasons. Ask me how I know.

Szechuan food is actually one of my favorites out of the Chinese foods, love the spice! That chili oil wil blow right through you though, so its best not to make any plans the next day. Qingdao/Shanghainese food is another, seafood and dumplings! My wifes family is from that region and the food is actually easier to eat for westeners.
Canton food is where they eat all that strange things. Bugs and sea cucumbers....solidified rubbery fish snot.
And is the typical "Chinese"food in the West. And usually its all fried and buried in msg.
Vietnam and Thai is fish sauce land. Smell is bad but used as a condiment you cant really notice.
Now durians, love love love em! My wife makes me and my son eat them on the balcony or rooftop.

Yak milk, I have some Nepali staff that bring it in sometimes. Bit strange that stuff.

Durian is the one thing that will hide the smell of stinky fermented tofu. Gosh but the stench is something awful. The trick to eating it is to wait until your sense of smell deadens after hanging around long enough you can get near enough not to vomit. For those not in the know, Durian smells a lot like a skunk was run over and mixed in with a pail of fresh poopy diapers. I bought a little bottle of durian extract in Indonesia just for fun. Immigration in Canada opened it in the airport and there is another unhappy ending. I think the Calgary airport must have stunk for months after that.

Having been all over the world I've eaten lots of stuff most people only see at a zoo or aquarium but one thing I found I can't stand is Vegemite
upload_2018-1-5_8-38-17.jpeg
reminds me of catfish bait,as for the list I get a 0 but a few there I didn't like ;)

Having been all over the world I've eaten lots of stuff most people only see at a zoo or aquarium but one thing I found I can't stand is Vegemite View attachment 1949 reminds me of catfish bait,as for the list I get a 0 but a few there I didn't like ;)

Oh my, that's salty axle grease! I had friendship with a couple of Australian exchange students and they were really missing that stuff. Once they received a care package from home, they offered me a piece of toast with that on it. One bite, was too much.

My score is 3. Well really 2. I can'tstand to smell vinegar, but love pickles and such. But would not consider tofu or snails, short of starving that is. Most everything else on the list I'll at least eat, if not really like.

Snails are great, cover them with garlic and butter and it’s like eating rubbery eraser with garlic butter.

Having been all over the world I've eaten lots of stuff most people only see at a zoo or aquarium but one thing I found I can't stand is Vegemite View attachment 1949 reminds me of catfish bait,as for the list I get a 0 but a few there I didn't like ;)
That's real stuff? I thought it was a made up word for a song.

I'd eat the seal oil again if I needed the calories, or to be polite, but the pickled moose nose is a non-starter. I think some of us over cook our snails, they are like liver in that they get tough when overdone.

@OBG 57 vegemite is an acquired Aussie taste cause we are tougher ;) also the company is now back in Aussie hands again . The secret is to just put on a tiny scrape on your toast and it tastes really good with accompanied with avocado in a avocado and vegemite sandwich and also in gravy when you make it too.

My great grandmother had two sayings when it came to food.
1. Anything that don't kill you will make you fat.

2. You eat to get full.

I never had a problem eating her cooking because it tasted so good! I could and would eat everything on the list. Snails would be the last thing.

Latest posts

Back