Planning For Quality ,Not Quantity

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I wonder if we will ever learn to just plant a few of a lot of things we like instead of a lot of a few things. By doing this we lose some of the plants we like yet over loaded with some that have to be put up.
You'd think we would have learned by now.
I just want to grow enough to know where my food comes from and what it is and to save on food bill. I work too hard to keep it natural with compost and digging,etc,etc,etc,.

We don't need 10 lettuce plants all at once. Best to stagger those. Planting 10 bell pepper when we have so many other things to do. We still can't grow potatoes or watermelons for some reason with much luck.

I bet some of you here who knew what that heater for Greenhouse was going to cost us had a good laugh or just felt bad for our ignorance. We got ou first bill and both had a rude awakening to say the least.

Last bill before heater $67. New bill with heater $267.00 !!!! Highest bill we've ever had here in 20 years was $116.00 when 21 family members were here and flood lights ran for 2 weeks.

Oh dear @Meerkat is that for a month of electricity ? , :eek: if it is, as that amount is over our quarterly bill here. Didn't know you were putting in a heated greenhouse and if I did would have warned you about the electricity costs.

Do agree with you staggering your plantings too as it takes a lot of time and energy to preserve when you have a heap of produce.

I guess that's why I've heard of people way up north with large greenhouses having a wood burner in there, and a cot as well so someone can sleep in there and put another log on at night.
Since our son and his girlfriend moved into our travel trailer in our front yard, our electric bill went up $100 a month.

Oh dear @Meerkat is that for a month of electricity ? , :eek: if it is, as that amount is over our quarterly bill here. Didn't know you were putting in a heated greenhouse and if I did would have warned you about the electricity costs.

Do agree with you staggering your plantings too as it takes a lot of time and energy to preserve when you have a heap of produce.

Yes that was ONE month. It works great and keeps temp perfect but the off and on surge plus the amps it uses it not good.
So we turned it down to low settings which means less surge and it works good on that too, only it doesn;t have so much surge as before with half elements going at once. We will see if it comes down in a couple weeks with next bill. Meter is no longer spinning like a top when heat kicks on.

From now on we not open GH till Feb for spring planting. Start seedlings in house then move them out to GH. So at least it will only cost for about 2 months.
Right now it is full of plants ,tomatoes will be ready in a couple weeks, cabbage is heading nicely, rutabegger,beets, blueberry, peppers, broccoli, collards, musterd, turnips. all have fruit on them. Plus lots of lettuce. My banana and lemon trees are doing good too.
Plus over 100 seedlings we started last month.

Last edited:
I guess that's why I've heard of people way up north with large greenhouses having a wood burner in there, and a cot as well so someone can sleep in there and put another log on at night.
Since our son and his girlfriend moved into our travel trailer in our front yard, our electric bill went up $100 a month.

That was our plan but fate had a different one for us. We started too late and a hard freeze hit us before we had time to build a double barrel wood burner. Of course those are not without problems too. Plus we are not going to sleep in GH, too old fro that.

We need to start asking people like you for advice before we jump into something after a stressful period. We've had a GH for years now so it is frustrating to know we screwed up so bad this year.

Your green house is not well enough insulated. Have you considered a Walipini? (it's an earth sheltered green house of sorts) It was also used by American Indians as a winter warm room.

Your green house is not well enough insulated. Have you considered a Walipini? (it's an earth sheltered green house of sorts) It was also used by American Indians as a winter warm room.

No but it sounds like a good idea. :thumbs up: But all our energy is now used up on this one so won't be doing any earth moving except for raised beds and containers.:gardening::Thankyou:

Latest posts

Back