Please help me indentify this cutter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I bought this today for a dollar. That's great but.....what is it?
Overall length is 16". Steel cutter wheel is about 3" diameter.
Not home-made because it has part of a brand name printed on it that is now unreadable.
Made very heavy duty so you can apply a lot of pressure when cutting.
003.JPG

It is not a screen spline tool. I have some of those already.
This is a sharp cutter. It is Very heavy duty. I think it is quite old. It has been used hard because the wheel/shaft are worn so there is now slop between them.
My guess was for cutting heavy leather but that is just a guess.
Come on, you guys have to be smarter than me.

Guessing leather or heavy fabric cutter. Note that the handle contains no real staining which to me means the very strong burly men who used this cutter always had clean hands.
No staining leaves out any roofing work or any greasy pizza. I guess it could have been used for cutting copper roofing.

My first thought was a scribe possibly for tile/masonry. (A complete guess)
Also can't believe you said "Chicago" - Pearl is going to demand a beer with that pizza 😂

ETA: possibly a line splitter for electrical lines?
Ok, I can definately cut a pizza with that if I'm getting beer!

My uncle was a glass cutter way back when and he had an OLD glass cutter / scorer that was made like that.
This was my thought, it looks like the outer edge is hardened or is carbide. Heavy duty as in industrial glass cutting level of work, like in making windows for skyscrapers back before computer controlled machines took over that job.

This was my thought, it looks like the outer edge is hardened or is carbide. Heavy duty as in industrial glass cutting level of work, like in making windows for skyscrapers back before computer controlled machines took over that job.
My Dad's best friend had a brother who was a glass cutter! I was a little kid then, but I do remember him having a glass cutting tool like that! I think that might be right!

That's what Ronny my uncle did was cut and install window glass in the new commercial construction in downtown Richmond back in the 70's & 80's. Many times it was high-rises & convenience stores. He told me that tool was old / antique then.

whatever it was used to cut must have been fairly hard, to scar the disc like it is , but not abrasove enough to create a smooth polish, what size wrench fits on the bolt head, the depth of cut appears to be about the same as the hex, but since there is no wear on the handle near the pivot point, it must not of been much thicker. the only thing I can think of is a parting tool for wood dowel , perhaps wood chair legs,

Latest posts

Back