Please help me indentify this cutter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lino cutter would certainly explain the series of ridges on the cutter wheel . sometimes multiple layers, with less layers more often, and explains the cleanliness of the tool

Lino cutter would certainly explain the series of ridges on the cutter wheel . sometimes multiple layers, with less layers more often, and explains the cleanliness of the tool
I concur but ... why are the sides of the cutter clean?

Linoleum is a bit grimy around the edges.

For a buck I would buy it and figure out later what I can use it for.

Ben

Well, let’s see what we got…

Linoleum cutter, nope. Always been the hook knife. Linoleum you need precision cuts, that thing would not be able to edge or cut around anything. Even ‘roughing in’ we used the knife. Single hand use, did the job well, no need for anything different, especially a bulky tool like that.

This thing looks like it is not for precision work, more ‘roughing out’. Being so large, it would be hard to follow any kind of precision line, wouldn’t it? Looks like it is a two-hander. I don’t think you would need a 16” handle for a single hand use, unless you needed leverage or reach when using it. 3” wheel isn’t all that large for such a long handle. The handle is fluted also, to prevent slipping, so looks to be a hand held tool.

The handle does not have any years of built up detritus, like grease, paint, tar, thinners or such. So had a ‘clean’ kind of use.

Pizza cutter I would think you’d want a larger wheel, to keep the wooden part from getting all buggered up in the toppings. Could be a pastry dough cutter though. Like in a commercial bakery. Any flour would be washed off and not leave a residue. It would explain why it looks like it has been used heavily, but does not show a lot of use. I would think the wheel would be larger diameter, but maybe for rolled out goods?

Leather. I could see it being for ‘rough cutting’ whole hides. Trim the edges up kind of thing. That would give you reach on larger hides, so you could cut it from one side of the table.

Closest thing I could find any picture of is a glass cutter. But I can’t figure out why it would have such a large wheel. Any I have seen or used, even really old ones, have a very small scoring wheel.

I just found this... being sold on ebay as old wallpaper cutting tools... These handles look a lot shorter.

Your's is a working mans tool, in the trades, just have to find the right trade.

wallpaper tools.jpg

It looks like a spline tool for window screens I DUNNO
It's sharp though not rounded or serrated like a spline tool. I'm pretty sure it's for cutting linoleum or scoring tin plates to add rigidity.

That does look a lot like it only has a bigger wheel. Maybe it really is a pizza cutter.
I tried a bunch of searches and scrolled to the end of all the images and that was only thing that even close.

So the next step is for you to make a pizza and see if it works.

Ben

I did a search for vintage jagging wheels and vintage wheeled pastry cutters but nothing was very close at all. Same with my searches for antique and vintage pizza cutters. Also tried antique wheeled Linoleum cutter with zero results. I give up.
Before trying to make a pizza?

Ben

Latest posts

Back