Poke salad Annie

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
One of the most prolific herbs in my part of the country is probably one of the most overlooked herbs .
The Poke Weed/Plant

The leaves,
The stems,
The berries, and
The Roots

All have a specific use ,
As a kid growing up on the farm we had "Poke Salad " often for food on our table, as it was akin to Turnip greens,or spinach.
Mom would even fry eggs in with it.
Or bacon ,or ham.

The stems were much like asparagus , in texture , I never did acquire a taste for it in any form, although I eat my share ...or go hungry. :rolleyes:
I have read where the berries can be used as a dye, and the roots boiled down for medicine , to help heal a sore throat, and some other health issues.

I know my grandparents had lots of plants and herbs that they grew for medicine, and food .:cool:

Jim

I read somewhere that some parts of the plant are poisonous at certain times of the seasons it should not be eaten. A friend has about 5 acres and the plant grows like crazy on it. I think they were to scared to try eating it. About twice year I would mow the plants down.
Kind of like mushrooms in that some you can eat and some you can't. The ones that grow under the cow crap supposedly give one heck of a mind trip. Sometimes I feel like a mushroom. Get **** on and kept in the dark.

I read somewhere that some parts of the plant are poisonous at certain times of the seasons it should not be eaten. A friend has about 5 acres and the plant grows like crazy on it. I think they were to scared to try eating it. About twice year I would mow the plants down.
Kind of like mushrooms in that some you can eat and some you can't. The ones that grow under the cow crap supposedly give one heck of a mind trip. Sometimes I feel like a mushroom. Get **** on and kept in the dark.
Yes. The Psylosibon....check spelling on that. Mushroom . Grows in cow paddies and has a purple ring on the stem you can easily identify it by. It has psychedelic properties when boiled in tea or just eaten on a PB sandwich. So says a friend of mine:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I read that Bill W. formed AA after doing the magic mushrooms. People report that they have had spiritual "TRIPS" that opened their consciousness of life as a whole while doing the magic mushroom teas. I also heard from people that ate them said don't chew them but swallow as best you can because they taste horrible. LOL Well I guess anything that grows under cow **** probably doesn't taste very good. Personally I am not going to go lifting cow paddies in the field next to me in search of magic mushrooms.

I read that Bill W. formed AA after doing the magic mushrooms. People report that they have had spiritual "TRIPS" that opened their consciousness of life as a whole while doing the magic mushroom teas. I also heard from people that ate them said don't chew them but swallow as best you can because they taste horrible. LOL Well I guess anything that grows under cow **** probably doesn't taste very good. Personally I am not going to go lifting cow paddies in the field next to me in search of magic mushrooms.
You don't have to. They grow above ground just like a regular mushroom. Just make sure it has a purple ring. The other ones growing outta cow poo will kill ya......:confused:

LOL I will just buy canned or fresh from the grocery store. Some will say I am already to high on life the way I am.

Poke salad and dandilion greens are two things I ate as a kid. Been so long ago now that I don't even know if I remember what they taste like.

I love my herbs! Here are a few of my favorite concoctons that I made recently.
IMG_20171015_153634_586.jpg

Latest posts

Back