Portable battery box

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Looking at all the fittings on the box is amazing. The cost of the box is almost what the fittings would cost. I have to wonder about the size of the box, it does not look big enough to hold a group 29 battery or one of the 100AH LiFePO4 batteries. But it could definitely have its uses.

I'd prefer building my own, I think. An Apache case from Harbor Freight, a Buddipole PowerMini-2, a 100W folding or roll-up panel and a Bioenno battery will set you back a few hundred dollars, but you'll have a very nice 12V power system.

That said, you can get a Jackery (or similar) system with very similar features for less. Look around - there are a lot of options out there right now.

Picked this one up at a local RC swap meet. Needs a powerpole panel, but it's ready to rock and roll. I WISH I could do woodworking like that.
IMG_0517.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

These are a really good design:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2750418783...nYaGqI5j20lOXxK0y17miew9s=|tkp:Bk9SR_qL1fn1YA
Four 50A Anderson input/outputs
One 175A Anderson input/output (heavy enough for jump starting)
Two USB
Two 12V cigar lighter
Master on/off switch
Voltage and state of charge meter
Overload protection

Edit to add:

Hardkorr have a US website - they even show that battery box........but not listed as a product yet.

Probably inbound or stuck in a container at some port.......

https://hardkorr.com/us/product-category/battery-boxes-accessories/

Last edited:
These are a really good design:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2750418783...nYaGqI5j20lOXxK0y17miew9s=|tkp:Bk9SR_qL1fn1YA
Four 50A Anderson input/outputs
One 175A Anderson input/output (heavy enough for jump starting)
Two USB
Two 12V cigar lighter
Master on/off switch
Voltage and state of charge meter
Overload protection

Edit to add:

Hardkorr have a US website - they even show that battery box........but not listed as a product yet.

Probably inbound or stuck in a container at some port.......

https://hardkorr.com/us/product-category/battery-boxes-accessories/
The Anderson connectors have been an industry standard for decades and have been 'battle-tested' by thugs like me in industrial applications for over 40 years.
Nearly indestructible and easy to replace if someone even managed to damage one.
The wiping of contacts with each plug & unplug was brilliant to assure a good connection.
Anderson_connector_assembly.jpg

When you are plugging up something that is going to carry more than 750 amps, you find out real quick what sux, because it goes up in smokegaah.

The Anderson Power Poles come in a wide range of current carrying capabilities. I've saw them on forklifts, powered pallet jacks, welders. But we also used the 30amp models to power our ham radio gear when I was running our EmComm group. Makes inter changeability a piece of cake. Your power supply will hook up to my radio, TNC, whatever needs powered.
Best connectors I've ever used

Yep - I have standardized on Anderson plugs (mostly 50A) for all my solar and offgrid electric gear.

I got a bunch of the plugs and a good crimp tool so that I can change the plugs on anything 12V that I buy.
My vehicles are set up with 12V (and 24V) Anderson outputs at the hitch and in the cabin too.

The Anderson Power Poles come in a wide range of current carrying capabilities. I've saw them on forklifts, powered pallet jacks, welders. But we also used the 30amp models to power our ham radio gear when I was running our EmComm group. Makes inter changeability a piece of cake. Your power supply will hook up to my radio, TNC, whatever needs powered.
Yes, and they should be welcomed with open arms by the current (pun) generation because they are gender-neutral:p.
However they are racist! and different colors of the same size cannot mate with each other. gaah
This is essential to keep a 350a 36v battery from being plugged into a 350a 24v device.
TMI:
Anderson power said: SB connectors feature a rugged one piece plastic housing using stainless steel springs to retain the contacts and create the “contact force” that provides extremely low resistance enabling greater electrical efficiency. The SB connectors are also genderless (flip one 180 degrees and they will mate to each other) reducing the customer’s bill of materials and providing greater economies of scale when purchasing. The SB series of connectors range in size from SB50 to the SB350. Each family size offers color-coded, mechanically keyed housings designed to prevent both visually and physically cross-mating devices with different voltages.
*This post is for amusement purposes only.

We only used Gray, Blue & red, but I saw yellow on something, just do not know the current it carried.

Connect it to a voltage source of 13 - 14 volts :)

It really depends on the type of battery.
With Lead/acid batteries a high frequency charger is best but they are expensive. A common Harbor Freight charger will work if you don't leave it connected for more than a few hours.

With Lead/acid batteries a high frequency charger is best but they are expensive. A common Harbor Freight charger will work if you don't leave it connected for more than a few hours.
This is very important.
Even with lead-acid batteries there are several different types that all need different charge voltages. Flooded, flooded-deep-cycle, 'maintenance-free', gell-cell, AGM (absorbed glass mat) are a few off the top of my head.
Plug the right battery into the wrong charger and bad things happen. :confused:
...And evil people like me make big-bux fixing that.👺
This does not even include the new-chemistry batteries that are taking over today.
Sorry, I digress. Lesson: Read up on the charge voltage specs on each battery you get. Even the same type, from different manufacturers, will have a different table.

I need a new battery charger. Which one of these do I need. Ask me questions about the batteries. They are all 12 volt. Some are big for heavy equipment, Some for large trucks, etc..

Charging is never urgent. Batteries have like everything gotten expensive. Thanks for the help.

I have had good service from NOCO Genius battery chargers.

https://no.co/products/charging/genius
They can charge a wide range of voltages and types of battery and they have some good repair modes.

I need a new battery charger. Which one of these do I need. Ask me questions about the batteries. They are all 12 volt. Some are big for heavy equipment, Some for large trucks, etc..

Charging is never urgent. Batteries have like everything gotten expensive. Thanks for the help.
I would go with the Genius 5 or the Genius 10 (mostly based upon charging big plant batteries).

The advantage I have found with the bigger models is that they seem to charge (bigger Ah batteries) to a higher voltage before they switch to float mode.

So that means the Genius 10 might be the best choice of the two models.

I have four NOCO chargers and I use the biggest one the most often.

My biggest is one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1657109415...vePp+KHoZSz3cJGSeDL3/q9P4=|tkp:Bk9SR6L-sdr6YA
It is a great charger, but I gather it is now superceded.......

Last edited:
I would go with the Genius 5 or the Genius 10 (mostly based upon charging big plant batteries).

The advantage I have found with the bigger models is that they seem to charge (bigger Ah batteries) to a higher voltage before they switch to float mode.

So that means the Genius 10 might be the best choice of the two models.

I have four NOCO chargers and I use the biggest one the most often.

My biggest is one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1657109415...vePp+KHoZSz3cJGSeDL3/q9P4=|tkp:Bk9SR6L-sdr6YA
It is a great charger, but I gather it is now superceded.......
The 10 looks good. One Question, if I turn it on, do I have to keep an eye on it so it will not over charge the battery, or can I set it up, turn it on and come back in 12 hours and everything is fine....??

The 10 looks good. One Question, if I turn it on, do I have to keep an eye on it so it will not over charge the battery, or can I set it up, turn it on and come back in 12 hours and everything is fine....??
It depends at least somewhat on the battery - if that is defective, then that does create some risk.

But for what part the charger plays, those NOCOs have about as much protection from cooking off a battery, as any charger currently available (and more than most).

This is very important.
Even with lead-acid batteries there are several different types that all need different charge voltages. Flooded, flooded-deep-cycle, 'maintenance-free', gell-cell, AGM (absorbed glass mat) are a few off the top of my head.
Plug the right battery into the wrong charger and bad things happen. :confused:
...And evil people like me make big-bux fixing that.👺
This does not even include the new-chemistry batteries that are taking over today.
Sorry, I digress. Lesson: Read up on the charge voltage specs on each battery you get. Even the same type, from different manufacturers, will have a different table.
Good to know, I have not bought the battery yet, so I can match everything up.
I was thinking of trickle charger for float charging, when not being used.

It depends at least somewhat on the battery - if that is defective, then that does create some risk.

But for what part the charger plays, those NOCOs have about as much protection from cooking off a battery, as any charger currently available (and more than most).
THANKS for the help. It is ordered, strangely it was/is the same price on Amazon.com

Latest posts

Back