Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gained weight just reading this...
FB_IMG_1571190234697.jpg

Jim

Salt on a watermelon is a must! This afternoon…

I found a neat old house. I didn’t notice it when I was here the other day. A couple lived here and raised 5 children. Later they ran a country store out of it.

It’s typical of what was built in these parts after the civil war, basically a large one room cabin with usable attic space. The FATSO heater/stove was pretty neat. I guess the manufacturer missed the lesson on political correctness that day.

The hand-hewn sill is remarkable. I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting anyone with that kind of skill.

The chimney is amazing. The outer course of sandstone on the chimney in particular. Sandstone is common here, even sandstone with a few pieces of river washed gravel trapped when it formed is common. What is uncommon is the large amount of river washed gravel trapped in this sandstone. I could see where a few spots were patched with cement later…

There is another old house less than a mile away that I would love to get inside for pictures. The owner of that house is the cousin of the man who now owns the one in these photos.

I’ll work on that… country folks around here are slow to strangers even when they are just as country.

Old house ( 1)_v1.jpg
Old house ( 2)_v1.jpg
Old house ( 4)_v1.jpg
Old house ( 6)_v1.jpg
Old house (11)_v1.jpg

If we had owned a camera, I would conclude you have access to my families photo album. I grew up in a time warp. The whole community used cook stoves, kerosene lanterns, out houses and lived in log cabins. We didn't have well pumps; we hauled water from the creek with a bucket. The flour sifter is still a common kitchen implement for anyone who bakes. I still have and use my grandmothers kitchen gadgets. I have a bread crumb/relish grinder that gets used a lot at the end of tomatoe season.

The 2 vehicles I drive, I mainly deliver Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF), but have delivered other products. This is 1 of many job sites I have delivered to. The hitch hicker on the back of truck is what I take the product off of truck.

20191018_135201.jpg 20191018_135222.jpg

I missed the pie discussion!

Strawberry rhubarb pie is #1 in my book. Nice and tart, big pieces of rhubarb. Second would be Cherry. Not a real real sweet cherry, a bit tart too.
This place affects your brain!
I had to have a big slice of pecan pie for breakfast today. (I only eat breakfast about 2 times per month:rolleyes:)
It's ok (for all you health-nuts watching my gorgeous figure:D), compared to what my mom and me made, it was pretty much "pretend" pecan-pie:(.
@Woody , cherry pie has always been my favorite.
I WILL tear a good one into just crumbs in the pan:eek:.

A FATSO! I wish I could find an ash door for mine.

@Terri9630 I know where you might be able to find one. If this man does not have it, it don't exist. He is an East Coast US collector/reseller who refurbishes. Sold him a few truckloads of old, old stoves and lots of parts. His property has a few old barns.. PACKED with stoves and parts. All over the yard too!! Send him an email and see what he can come up with.

I can recommend him to anyone else looking to buy a refurbished parlor, cook or any other antique completely redone stove. Prices are a tad more than I could come up with, but does an A+ job of restoration. If you do not see it on his page, drop him a note with whatever you are looking for. I bet he has one in his collection he can strip down, blast, re nickle and ship to ya.

https://barnstablestove.com/

Latest posts

Back