Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1573771586863.jpg

Jim

Can someone identify the type of snake that is? It has a wide head, which means it is not a safe snake.

I'm guessing by head and Tail shape, markings it's a Water snake, Chicken snake or Bull snake.

Jim

I was going to say bull snake. Or a "stay out of my yard" snake.

I know when it involves the feet it is called a pedicure, but he needs a "Man"icure on his feet. Do men ever get pedicures? How does he not always have holes in the toes of his socks? And that scissor toe action? Wouldn't that be incredibly painful? Evidently having crossed toes is really not that uncommon. I did a search for crossed toes, and there were a bunch of photos. I do know someone who told me he can't run anymore because he has crossed toes.

Would a man go somewhere and get a pedicure? I am curious. It would be a great Christmas gift for a man or woman. I would like that as a gift myself.

I have had a pedicure before, can't say I loved it but it wasn't horrible either. My father-in-law gets one every 3 weeks or so. So do a lot of men apparently.

Regardless the feet in that photo gave me the shivers.

Husband goes to the foot doctor because he's diabetic. But he's thinking of drummeling down his own nails like the dr does. He's been trying to talk me into doing it for him for years, but nope. I'll do I.V. meds, asthma meds, oxygen, anything like that, but not toenails. He ordered a toenail drummel kit from Amazon but tossed it aside. Too wimpy. I'm supposed to locate the heavy duty one from Harbor Freight, which is somewhere. Sorry. TMI.

Merry Christmas to me! I can't take a picture of my new camera but this is the first pic with my new camera. This is my 3rd Canon camera. This one is a powershot ELPH 160. I was happy with the first two... The first was a 35mm film camera. The last one was digital and I really liked but it had a known issue with batteries giving a false "replace battery" error that gets worse over time (several years) (powershot A720IS).

I'll need to take a range of plant photos to see if I wasted my money on this one... High quality plant photos is the reason for getting it.

Joe 01 sm.JPG

Last edited:
Would a man go somewhere and get a pedicure? I am curious. It would be a great Christmas gift for a man or woman. I would like that as a gift myself.
Yep, my former boss, his wife and I went as a sort of celebration. He got the idea from another fella in his position. If you actually go to a spa, they rub your feet. (I only know because I won a prize once :)). Hubby said if we ever go again he's getting a pedicure.

Looks like a bull snake to me. But that is based on my USA snake experience. There could be snakes that look like this from other countries/continents that I don't know about. If it's from the USA, it is not venomous (we only have pit vipers and one elapid in the venomous arena, and it's neither of those). If it's from Australia, then it's probably venomous, because everything from Australia is venomous! (Sarcasm, but not far from the truth!)

This is my 3rd Canon camera. This one is a powershot ELPH 160.
I have had a couple of the Canon point-n-shoots. They have been decent. I've also have had Panasonics and Nikons. These point-n-shoots are all about equal in the final output - the picture - but they have different user interfaces and a few features specific to each brand. Personally, I prefer the Canon. My wife prefers the Nikon. I currently have a Canon ELPH 330HS. It's a few years old, but still serviceable. I find this to be a neat little camera that takes good quality snapshots. But when compared to my wife's high-end pro Nikon SLR, it's not even close. But you can't compare a $179 point-n-shoot to a $3000 body, plus $3500 lens SLR. The comparison really illustrates the fact that "more pixels does not equal better". That expensive Nikon "only" has 8 mega pixels (or was it ten?) and the little Canon has 12MP. However, the sensor in the Nikon is probably larger than the entire point-n-shoot ELPH camera (which has a sensor only a few millimeters across). But, for what it is designed and marketed for, I find that ELPH camera to be a great little device! Yours is obviously a newer model, and I'm sure it is much improved over the older one I have. Have fun with it!!! We actually use our point-n-shoots significantly more than the big Nikon SLR. That beast is so complicated that we had to take a course on how to use it. We barely scratched the surface of what it is capable of. And when you don't use it a lot, you tend to forget how to use all the features ... so that's a downside.

@Haertig I find these little cameras suit my needs... I don't need a high res photo of a lady bug on a flower pedal. I just need clear photos of a plants characteristics that separate it from closely related plants or a look alike, teaching tools.

Also, I tend to end up at the bottom of creeks and small rivers... :D happened a few weeks ago in fact. My A720 was sealed in a ziplock, thankfully... I'm not going to carry a high dollar camera into some of the places I go. There are pit vipers galore around here and last year someone killed a 10ft alligator 150 miles north of me... When out hunting plants I have enough to worry about already. o_O

Edited... I keep a complete change of clothes in my truck just in case, driving home soaking wet is no fun!

Last edited:
After a heavy spring rain, I stood on the bank of a creek to take a picture of a large patch of ferns.

Just as I snapped the photo the bank of the creek collapsed. That water was cold! :eek:

View attachment 31399

That'll teach ya to sneak around the woods with a camera, and not asking Mr and Mrs Fern if you could take their picture.

Jim:D

I am imagining you holding that tree branch in your hand (since it does not have motion blur) as you slide down the creek bank (since everything else has motion blur). Funny to think about it. More likely, your flash froze the foreground but not the background. But it's more fun to think of you sliding while desperately clutching that branch! It actually makes a very interesting picture. I like it!

Just as I snapped the photo the bank of the creek collapsed. That water was cold! :eek:

View attachment 31399

That photo was 8 or 9 years ago, maybe... If I remember right... when I finally got a hold of that little tree I was already sitting in the creek. I don't get a good soaking every year but definitely 3 out of every 4. Wild medicinals don't hang out with butterflies at the edge of your lawn waiting to be photographed. Sometimes I get into precarious situations while trying to take a photo.

This one was even funny to me... fairly level ground. I stepped in a cow pie when I took the photo. :D At least I didn't fall in it!

I think I was trying to photograph a racoon in that big pine. I knew he'd scramble when he saw me. I had to take the picture quickly while I was still moving... whoops!

collapse 01 (1) sm.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back