Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gettin' cold

11-11-17.jpg

I'm sitting here trying to find any good memories that involve snow. It's been 20 minutes and still nothing :)

I can introduce you to my snow machine and the wide open wilderness. You may not ever go back down south! :)

I have fond early memories of snow. In one P.E. class in college, I chose to take "snow skiing". Which was, admittedly, an unusual choice given I went to college in central Texas. But never question the determination, if not intelligence, of an Aggie. The first part of the semester was building our ski slope. Out of plywood covered with astro turf. It was three stories high. It was not slippery enough at first, so we covered it with little plastic balls (about 2mm in diameter). That helped a lot. We still needed more slide, so we sprayed it down with WD-40. That was a mistake, but a story for a different time.

Turning was still difficult on our slope, but if you put every ounce of your strength into it, you could alter your trajectory a little bit. This is how I earned how to ski.

My first trip to real snow was Taos, New Mexico. I remember the awesome snow. Heading down that first slope, full of confidence. Gaining speed, I soon realized it was time to turn before I broke 90mph. So I gathered all my strength, wound up for the turn, and with a sudden burst of force ... pulled an impromptu triple-lutz. Maybe it was a quad, I don't really remember. After my snowy display that probably looked like a meteor hitting Antarctica, fellow skiers gathered round to see if I was hurt, muttering "How does someone even do that?"

Ah, one of my earlier fond memories of snow!

I have fond early memories of snow. In one P.E. class in college, I chose to take "snow skiing". Which was, admittedly, an unusual choice given I went to college in central Texas. But never question the determination, if not intelligence, of an Aggie. The first part of the semester was building our ski slope. Out of plywood covered with astro turf. It was three stories high. It was not slippery enough at first, so we covered it with little plastic balls (about 2mm in diameter). That helped a lot. We still needed more slide, so we sprayed it down with WD-40. That was a mistake, but a story for a different time.

Turning was still difficult on our slope, but if you put every ounce of your strength into it, you could alter your trajectory a little bit. This is how I earned how to ski.

My first trip to real snow was Taos, New Mexico. I remember the awesome snow. Heading down that first slope, full of confidence. Gaining speed, I soon realized it was time to turn before I broke 90mph. So I gathered all my strength, wound up for the turn, and with a sudden burst of force ... pulled an impromptu triple-lutz. Maybe it was a quad, I don't really remember. After my snowy display that probably looked like a meteor hitting Antarctica, fellow skiers gathered round to see if I was hurt, muttering "How does someone even do that?"

Ah, one of my earlier fond memories of snow!
An old boss was a skiing fan and asked me why I didn't ski.

I told him I like my knees.

About a year latter he was in a cast.

Ben

It looks like "Mt. Aggie" is still there. And vastly improved since the early days when I was there. I don't even recognize it in the pictures. It has gotten much larger than when we were first constructing/expanding it (it's initial iteration pre-dates my arrival on campus by a year or two - we rebuilt and expanded it). And it appears they have replaced the WD-40 with simple water - smart move guys!

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/T...the-heat-by-hitting-the-slopes-393798681.html

backlash, I wouldn't be surprised. I actually keep plumbing supplies on hand now. If I ever need to call out the plumber, I usually have the parts so he doesn't charge me for them. Although, I haven't called out the plumber in years. Last time he came out he was rude. I wish his old man hadn't passed away. He was a really nice guy.
I wanted to post some pics I took today but my internet is not cooperating so I can't load them.

Latest posts

Back