Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Briggs deals with a Thursday morning. When do I get to sit in my rocker?

DSC_4311.JPG

Taste tip: Use ham, sausage, bacon, steak, or even fish in place of spam and bologna. ;)

When my Mom gave her doctor a bad time I always asked the doc if he knew who Granny Clampit was. That was my Mom. She was from the hills of Arkansas and she thought city doctors didn't know squat.
She treated all doctors as incompetent and dangerous.
She had lung cancer and had part of her lung removed but she claimed what actually cured her was her homemade salve.
She was even built like Granny.

Saw this in mom's eye doctor's office today. WTHeck?
View attachment 60659
That is a very crude and shall I say dangerous way to prevent anyone from plugging into the higher amp circuit.

If someone doesn't know which circuit breaker does what they may just start throwing breakers. That circuit would always trip.

Why?

There may have been an issue with stuff plugged into the higher rated outlet that should have been on a lower current breaker.

Still think it is crude.

Ben

That is a very crude and shall I say dangerous way to prevent anyone from plugging into the higher amp circuit.

If someone doesn't know which circuit breaker does what they may just start throwing breakers. That circuit would always trip.

Why?

There may have been an issue with stuff plugged into the higher rated outlet that should have been on a lower current breaker.

Still think it is crude.

Ben
That is an Alabama safety device installed by an electrician working elsewhere on that branch circuit to guarantee that it cannot go live by some idiot accidentally resetting a tagged-out breaker and frying him.
CBE - crude but effective. :thumbs:

Last edited:
That it is.

Ben
You do things like that if you have ever danced with 3-phase 480v.
You never get hit with 480v because you are grounded.
But any leg to ground is 277v. :oops:
277v will leave a lifelong impression. And have you saying: "Aw hailno! never again!"
wye-600x410.png

For 3-phase 208, the worst you get to ground is 120v, not that bad:rolleyes::
3_phase_4_wire_wye.png

Sorry, I needed to post a pic.

You do things like that if you have ever danced with 3-phase 480v.
You never get hit with 480v because you are grounded.
But any leg to ground is 277v. :oops:
277v will leave a lifelong impression. And have you saying: "Aw hailno! never again!"
wye-600x410.png

I still have the socket wrench extender with the arc weld burn from when I trusted someone who said the 480V 3P circuit I was disconnecting from the testing leads was off.

Fortunately, 277 usually pushes you away... I landed on my butt about 5 feet from where I was crouching.

Yeah, I was thrown a good 8 feet with 440 3 phase. I remember a beautiful blue light and this horrific sound. I found out later the sound was me.
I grabbed the connector gave it a twist and it pulled itself out of the outlet. One too many guys had used the cord to pull the plug. It shorted and I was hanging on.

My shocking experience...

I was trouble shooting a radar transmitter in high seas. I was holding onto the cabinet to stabilize my self and reached out for a scope probe that swinging as the ship rolled. My hand came within 6 inches of the high voltage chassis and saw a lighting bolt jump to my hand and felt it across my back.

14KV bites.

Shook my up for the afternoon.

Ben

Saw this in mom's eye doctor's office today. WTHeck?
View attachment 60659

Things your young children experiment with, my son, when he was pre-teen used a nail or a paperclip and learned a valuable lesson.
I've been shocked so many times over the years that I almost got used to it, except for the time I had a transmitter chassis on it's side gripping it with my right hand and adjusting a potentiometer with my left hand when my thumb touched the top of a filter condenser, 750 VDC @ 1/4 amp. I look back at those times and wonder how I even made it to 78 years, that voltage with that amount of current can kill, I still have a faint scar on my thumb that reminds me what I went through so many years ago.

Latest posts

Back