Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8-4- 001.jpg

Butterfly on a desert thistle.

Copperheads are bad.

NEVER NEVER grab their tail!!
" you see that green on it's tail , that is poison, they have a stinger just like a scorpion in the end, they use it to finish killing their prey, it's just as bad as the bite"

View attachment 60903

Jim
If you see a copperhead, kill it.
Right then.
Right now.
They are nothing but a threat to humans, sent here by satan.
Shoot them. Shoot them all!
machine-gun.gif

@Supervisor42 , you've been to my place...farmland and woods ,creek...2 barns, 3-4 sheds , chicken house.
Perfect breeding grounds for copperheads, and they are prolific in my area.

I've seen 2 in 25 years.
B u t....
I have several big King snakes ...remember the shed skin I found in my shop....7/12 ft= no copperheads.
View attachment 60911

Jim
Don't get me wrong, I love those guys! (king snakes).
We had them as pets when I was young.
There are several different flavors but they are all similar.
A black snake with yellow spots, or white spots, was your friend.
Most of ours looked like this:
Speckled_King_Snake.jpg

Cottonmouth/water-moccasins, copperheads, rattlers, all died immediately on sight.
We don't need them.
At all. :waiting:

@Supervisor42 , you've been to my place...farmland and woods ,creek...2 barns, 3-4 sheds , chicken house.
Perfect breeding grounds for copperheads, and they are prolific in my area.

I've seen 2 in 25 years.
B u t....
I have several big King snakes ...remember the shed skin I found in my shop....7/12 ft= no copperheads.
View attachment 60911

Jim
I had run a couple hundred feet of garden hose from my brothers place to the orchard to water in the fruit trees we planted.

The Princess was shocked to hear my yell "What?" as was strarting down a trail where the hose ran. I had been startled when I saw the garden hose moving. It was a large king snake that was trying to get away from me as fast as it could. It was off into the brush in seconds.

My son has found the shed skins under his modular home many times. His place is close to a large stream and suspect river rats as their prey.

Ben

I had run a couple hundred feet of garden hose from my brothers place to the orchard to water in the fruit trees we planted.

The Princess was shocked to hear my yell "What?" as was strarting down a trail where the hose ran. I had been startled when I saw the garden hose moving. It was a large king snake that was trying to get away from me as fast as it could. It was off into the brush in seconds.

My son has found the shed skins under his modular home many times. His place is close to a large stream and suspect river rats as their prey.

Ben
Allow me to explain my prejudice against some of them.
@Neb saw the king-snake running for it's life because some kid like me may make a pet out of it if he can catch it. :D
Contrast that, against this demon that will chase YOU and will kill you if it catches you!
Evil:
Are-Florida-Water-Moccasins-Poisonous.jpg

Edit: Oh, cotton-mouth.

Last edited:
@Neb saw the king-snake running for it's life because some kid like me may make a pet out of it if he can catch it. :D
Contrast that, against this demon that will chase YOU and will kill you if it catches you!
Evil:

They will definitely chase you .

I could tell you several stories about being chased, after pissing them off.

Jim

They will definitely chase you .

I could tell you several stories about being chased, after pissing them off.

Jim
Dang! You sound like you are "prejudiced" too!
I hope nobody tells on us, we could get in a lot of trouble :rolleyes:.
But those things can make a 'believer' out of anybody.
nod.gif

I think copperheads are beautiful, but we kill them if we see them. Cottonmouths can go to hell! Nasty creatures. Not fond of rattlers, but haven't seen any around. We do have copperheads though. That's when I bring out the machete. Squish their decapitated heads with a shovel and burn them.

Evil:

The only venomous snakes we have are rattle snakes in the mountains east us. When used to hike the Appalachian trail I had to keep a kean eye for them sunning themselves on the trail.

Ben

Cottonmouths are the most aggressive of the 3 .

Jim

As a teenager I was fishing in the swamp. Cottonmouths are famous for dropping out of low hanging branches into boats. I saw it happen.

One dropped into the jon boat shared by two brothers. I don't know if they every hit the snake but they almost beat each other to death with boat paddles... Funny as heck... I still laugh when I remember that.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
We don't kill any snake unless it keeps coming around the yard. We catch and release them back into the woods. We have a great snake catcher rod an bag,hubby has caught a few. If it chases us its dead though. So far hasn't happened. I have a great respct for them so don't mess with em. grey up with lots of snakes, swam with thm like we do here both snakes and gators here.

Large invading snakes I'd kill in a NY minute.anacondas,pythons killem all.

We don't kill any snake unless it keeps coming around the yard. We catch and release them back into the woods. We have a great snake catcher rod an bag,hubby has caught a few. If it chases us its dead though. So far hasn't happened. I have a great respct for them so don't mess with em. grey up with lots of snakes, swam with thm like we do here both snakes and gators here.

Large invading snakes I'd kill in a NY minute.anacondas,pythons killem all.
Agreed.

Those are both invasive species threatening deer and others in your area are they not?

Ben

Agreed.

Those are both invasive species threatening deer and others in your area are they not?

Ben

They sure are!! They have just about killed Key Deer,Florida panthers and most wildlife in the glades and swamps here.Also killing off the gators and few crocs we have here.

Mama was great with a gun and I remember a ouple of snaakes she had to kill. One was trying to get in one of our boats on the lake, the other two came up in creek. Funny how the two in creek had ample time to bite me,but didn't:dunno:. But one did go after her so she shot it then its buddy came for her too so she shot that one too.I told this story many times,washing clothes in the creek they came up.

They sure are!! They have just about killed Key Deer,Florida panthers and most wildlife in the glades and swamps here.Also killing off the gators and few crocs we have here.

Mama was great with a gun and I remember a ouple of snaakes she had to kill. One was trying to get in one of our boats on the lake, the other two came up in creek. Funny how the two in creek had ample time to bite me,but didn't:dunno:. But one did go after her so she shot it then its buddy came for her too so she shot that one too.I told this story many times,washing clothes in the creek they came up.
Mama left her imprint on you didn't she?

I would have liked to meet with one that shaped a firebrand.

Ben

The 3 most numerous pit vipers in the south are copperheads, rattlesnakes and cottonmouths. That's also in the order of the most bites to humans.

Cottonmouths are the most aggressive, they will come right at you but it's a bluff, they almost never bite. Cottonmouths and rattlesnakes only bite when they have too, they will hesitate.

Copperheads account for far more human bites than the rest combined. They strike blind at anything that's close, they never hesitate. So, if you come to the southeast they are the ones too watch out for.

That is quite a collection of kitchen tools. I think I know what they all are. I have more modern versions of all but the egg cup. The mortar and pestle almost had me because mine have always been ceramic.

If you want to see a number of the most dangerous venomous snakes listen to the folks from Australia.

Latest posts

Back