Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A rainbow at our place
rainbow.jpg

@MoBookworm1957 yes we have started pulling up the herbs to replant in the new gardens. We have some rosemary cutting currently in water waiting for them to get roots to plant into pots, I have 24 cuttings of English lavender that have rooted and will be replanted at the new home, I recently divided off some thyme plants and will pot them shortly and will dig up some of the rhizomes and separate them from the lemon grass and pot them and plant them in the new home too. We also have some starts of carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers and capsicums in pots to take with us.

During our time here in the rental I have also saved seeds from the gardens here for capsicum, broad bean, heirloom green beans, snow pea, shelling peas, brown onions and garlic chives that will also go with us to plant in the new home.

Shaggy Mane (Coprinus comatus) Mushroom-Collecting.com

mushroom-collecting.com/mushroomshaggy.html

Shaggy Mane (Coprinus comatus) at a perfect stage for harvest. Coprinus atramentarius has a smooth cap. Although considered edible by some, consuming alcohol with your meal will make you quite sick. Apparently, one can have a problem if they drink alcohol a day or two later.

Poisonous to dogs. (According to what I read)

http://www.madaboutmushrooms.com/mad_about_mushrooms/shaggy-manes-101/

Well I'm safe then. :lil guy:

I think smaller heritage birds will fit in my plucker. The size our fair birds get... Nope. Our smallest was 26lbs.
:eek::eek::eek: DID YOU SAY PLUCKER? You have a plucker?
Ladies, I might go vegetarian here in one night. The videos don't do my psyche any good.
Like somebody told me, don't name the food. They are not pets.
Please explain the demise of a chicken.
Are you chicken slayers, all of ya?
But for goodness sake, please tell me they are slaughtered before plucking.

And turkey, duck and rabbit slayers here. Also have butchered goats and a pig.
What more do you need to know about the demise of chickens?
Just come on over, Patchouli. We'll show you how it's done.
I don't have a plucker….what's the largest weight you've done in one, Terri?
Our plucker right now are the grandkids.

Ladies, I might go vegetarian here in one night. The videos don't do my psyche any good.
Like somebody told me, don't name the food. They are not pets.
Please explain the demise of a chicken.
Are you chicken slayers, all of ya?

Of course they are! A live chicken would just hop out.

And turkey, duck and rabbit slayers here. Also have butchered goats and a pig.
What more do you need to know about the demise of chickens?
Just come on over, Patchouli. We'll show you how it's done.
I don't have a plucker….what's the largest weight you've done in one, Terri?
Our plucker right now are the grandkids.

Well, we got the top half of a 25lb bird in it. One of the best things we've ever bought.

To funny... my neighbor has one... a few years ago I had 9 or 10 young roosters I needed to slaughter. I gave half of them to my neighbor for use of his plucker... First time I'd seen one operate. It does a good job. It's sort of like a small washing machine except there is a hole in the bottom. The "drum" is rubber lined with rubber projections about 1 inch long and about the diameter of a dime. The drum spins while you spray water in the top. Water and feathers wash out of the hole in the bottom...

Chicken plucker sm 006.jpg

Yeah, @Peanut . The video I was watching... (shudder) I couldn't tell that the chicken was dead when it went in, because as you can see, they are tossing to and fro and actually still look...ALIVE. So I'm over here freakin' out. I also watched a guy picking up chickens, they start screaming, they know what's next, then, silence.
Thx for the photo. I know it's a photo thread!

The images your comments evoke. :eek::confused:
We really need a fainting emoji. I'm dying over here.

Yeah, @Peanut . The video I was watching... (shudder) I couldn't tell that the chicken was dead when it went in,

Standard chicken processing going back ages... you snap the chickens neck. You cut off the head and hang them upside down to drain the blood... then you pluck.

Unless like my family... the process got changed. Grandma would wring their necks... Sis and I would pluck then processing continued... Once grandma didn't snap the neck properly, Sis and I plucked it and tossed on the pile to be processed...

Suddenly the chicken "woke up" jumped off the pile and took off running... I was little, 7 or 8... I remember laughing so hard as we chased this "naked" chicken around the barn over and over again...

:LOL:

Last edited:
Yeah, @Peanut . The video I was watching... (shudder) I couldn't tell that the chicken was dead when it went in, because as you can see, they are tossing to and fro and actually still look...ALIVE. So I'm over here freakin' out. I also watched a guy picking up chickens, they start screaming, they know what's next, then, silence.

Hold them upside down for a few seconds and they relax. As long as your quick they never know. That's why hubby does it. He's stronger.

That's funny alright.
I wondered where my mom got some of her expressions like wringing a chicken's neck. Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. ETC. She wasn't even raised on a farm...

Those expressions have real meaning... Although I wasn't directly involved I have seen a chicken try to run without a head... It does happen. Most folks don't know the true origin.

For me, the day I described... It was out of the cartoons on TV... A "Neked Chicken".... I still smile at that memory.

Latest posts

Back