Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We call them King snakes
They are. But there are several kinds of king-snakes.
The black ones with yellow dots we always found in the mud, hence the name.
The other ones includes a real character just for scaring your friends. It will 'fake-strike' with it's mouth closed. It's so fast you never see it's mouth isn't open:eek:.

It's what I call a King Snake also! I haven't seen one in several years... I was always taught to protect them as they kill other snakes.

We catch everyone we see and turn them loose at our house. We have probably brought in 7 or 8 in the last couple of years alone and have a nice population of them now.

Here we go!

https://www.outdooralabama.com/non-venomous-snakes/black-kingsnake

FEEDING HABITS:
Black king snakes are active almost exclusively by day, but are most active in the morning during the summer. They are strong constrictors and consume a variety of prey including snakes, lizards, rodents, birds, and turtle eggs. King snakes are resistant to the venom of pit-vipors and they readily eat copperheads, cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes.

They used to common around here but I think folks clear cutting 1000's of acres has affected the population.

Last edited:
Here we go!

https://www.outdooralabama.com/non-venomous-snakes/black-kingsnake

FEEDING HABITS:
Black kings nakes are active almost exclusively by day, but are most active in the morning during the summer. They are strong constrictors and consume a variety of prey including snakes, lizards, rodents, birds, and turtle eggs. Kingsnakes are resistant to the venom of pit-vipors and they readily eat copperheads, cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes.

They used to common around here but I think folks clear cutting 1000's of acres has affected the population.

A few years ago I was clearing some land on our place with a dozer, I caught a big black snake and a copperhead and put them in a barrel for a couple of days. Neither of them tried to eat the other, I guess maybe the weren't hungry. I did turn the black snake loose but the copperhead was not so lucky.

I did turn the black snake loose but the copperhead was not so lucky.

My grandpa always kept several around... He'd fuss at us kids for the way we moved things like firewood!

"You be careful now, there might be a king snake under there! I can still hear him today...

They are. But there are several kinds of king-snakes.
The black ones with yellow dots we always found in the mud, hence the name...
King Snakes:
Prairie%20Kingsnake%20Natalie%20McNear_Flickr.jpg

5682147827_eee5f50bf9_o-56a2bcfe5f9b58b7d0cdf926.jpg

kingsnake.jpg

And the one that freaks you out:
Lampropeltis-triangulum-elapsoides-2-VanDevender-copy.jpg

We have the most venomous creatures in the world here in Australia :) and we say to tourists that everything out here wants to kill you and eat you.

Here is one snake called the eastern brown snake with the website being found here -https://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/Animals+of+Queensland/Reptiles/Snakes/Common+and+dangerous+species/Eastern+Brown+Snake#.XX3SfmYRXIU . We have lots of them on our property and our cat catches and kills them which we are fine with.

eastern brown snake.jpg

Pseudonaja textilis
pseudonaja-textilis-2.jpg
Eastern Brown Snake, Pseudonaja textilis
Photograph by Angus Emmott.
pseudonaja-textilis-map.jpg
pseudonaja-textilis-3.jpg
An Eastern Brown Snake, Pseudonaja textilis in characteristic defensive posture (note the distinctive spotting on its belly).
Photograph by Richard Jackson.
pseudonaja-textilis-1.jpg
Characteristic head markings of a juvenile Eastern Brown Snake.

Identification:
The Eastern Brown Snake may be any shade of brown but can also be grey or black. Some individuals are banded. The belly is typically cream with pink or orange spots. Juveniles may be plain or banded and have distinctive head markings consisting of a black blotch on the crown and a dark neck band. This species grows to 2 metres. Midbody scale rows 17; ventrals 185–235; anal divided; subcaudals divided 45–75.

Distribution:
Found over most of Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria. It also occurs in southern South Australia and there are isolated populations in the Northern Territory. This species is also present in southern Papua New Guinea.

Habitat:
Found in all habitats except rainforest. It has adapted well to farmed, grazed and semi-urban lands. In South-eastern Queensland, this species is particularly common around Beenleigh and Ipswich.

Habits:
This species is active by day, although young Eastern Brown Snakes are often encountered at night.

Danger:
This species is dangerously venomous and has been responsible for many human deaths. The venom is strongly neurotoxic. If bitten, apply first aid and seek urgent medical attention. First aid procedure for any snakebite from the Australian Venom Research Unit
external.png

Eastern Brown Snakes can be pugnacious when provoked and rear up in distinctive "S" shape.

Food:
Feeds on frogs, reptiles, birds and mammals.

Breeding:
Mating occurs in spring and early summer. Up to 28 eggs are laid. Hatchlings are around 19 cm from the tip of the snout to the base of the tail (snout-vent length).

It's what I call a King Snake also! I haven't seen one in several years... I was always taught to protect them as they kill other snakes.

We use to call them king snakes and ring snakes,meaning they were not poison. Till sometime in the mid 1950s the Coral Snake which looks like some of the ring snakes was introduced to America .
We were playing with one thinking it was a ring snake and mama said that snake doesn't look right leave it alone, come to find out it is very poisonous. it just has to chew a hole in you to poison you. Mama called health department and they couldn't believe we had those in this country.Ask her to bring one to the dept which identified it.

Last edited:
My grandpa always kept several around... He'd fuss at us kids for the way we moved things like firewood!

"You be careful now, there might be a king snake under there! I can still hear him today...

My grandpa always had them around, in the barn, garage, tractor shed. Never saw any mice, rats, or poisionus snakes around.
Once when we were putting up hay, they were swapping trailers from a empty one to a loaded one at the hay elevator. I was up in the barn loft and sat on a bale while waiting for them to start back up. Soon as I sat down I felt something move under me. Stood back up and there was a 6' blacksnake right there. Wasn't expecting that.
When my grandpa died we went into his garage to clean it out and arrange things a little. We pulled a skin out that measured almost 12'. Biggest one I had ever saw.

Sorting photo’s tonight and found this…

A run of the mill southern Black Racer (Coluber constrictor Priapus). At first glance it looks like a King Snake. Both are constrictors but racers tend to be more shiny than other common black snakes. I can tell this one is young because of the its brownish tint.

There is a catch, when found in swampy ground like this one… It could just as easily be Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus a highly venomous pit viper). As cottonmouths get older, they lose much of their color and dark striping. I’ve seen solid black ones. It makes their solid white mouths really stand out... hence the name Cottonmouth.

This little snake gave me quite a scare until I got a good look at its head. A week earlier I had killed a cottonmouth 50yds from this spot.

I let this little guy go!

Snake.jpg

Latest posts

Back