Poultry Team

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Jake has joined the poultry team in FFA at school. He has taken over all chicken duties here and will have the entire Branson FFA over this week to tour our chicken house. We had to take a few photos for his teacher today.

IMG_8169.jpeg
IMG_8155.jpeg
IMG_8163.jpeg
IMG_8167.jpeg
IMG_8157.jpeg

That’s a lot of eggs 🥚! Hope you like quiche and egg sandwiches and deviled eggs and. . .
That’s 2 days worth we hadn’t done anything with yesterday’s eggs so they were still in the basket. We usually get from 12 to 16 eggs a day. That’s way more than we can use so we keep friends and family in fresh eggs.

When we had chickens and other small livestock we were inundated with eggs at times.. We gave eggs away, sold eggs, sold fertile eggs, and made many liters of homemade powdered eggs..
There are a number of videos how to do homemade powdered eggs.. I was never good at freezing eggs as I always forgot to take them out to thaw in time to use...

Also never had a problem with turn over of older birds as there were so many predators around we always were replacing birds quite often.. In our area culled Ica Brown layers were plentiful, cheap, and provided more than enough eggs for us..

My 5 cents of experience..

Years ago I was misinformed about the chicks I was buying twice. I eventually got the breed I wanted but ended up with 36 chicks. When they all started laying I couldn’t sell that many eggs. Always had a bucket full sitting around. (dumped a few in the woods)

Since I didn’t know how, one morning I decided to teach myself to flip an egg without breaking it, for over-easy.

I broke at least a dozen, fed them to my big german sheppard. He loved it, at first… After a dozen or so he was looking at me like ‘Please don’t break another one’! 🤣 Yet he couldn’t pull himself away… he farted eggs for 3 days!! 🤣🤣

Years ago I was misinformed about the chicks I was buying twice. I eventually got the breed I wanted but ended up with 36 chicks. When they all started laying I couldn’t sell that many eggs. Always had a bucket full sitting around. (dumped a few in the woods)

Since I didn’t know how, one morning I decided to teach myself to flip an egg without breaking it, for over-easy.

I broke at least a dozen, fed them to my big german sheppard. He loved it, at first… After a dozen or so he was looking at me like ‘Please don’t break another one’! 🤣 Yet he couldn’t pull himself away… he farted eggs for 3 days!! 🤣🤣

Ben

The kid told me tonight he wants to add bees and rabbits. I raised bees most of my life but rabbits will be new for me. I told him we get him a couple of hives in the spring and we would build him a nice rabbit hutch as well.

Locally retailers are taking orders for package bees right now. I checked for a friend last week. These orders are for 2 delivery dates, miid-march and first week of april. I always got my order in early.

Locally retailers are taking orders for package bees right now. I checked for a friend last week. These orders are for 2 delivery dates, miid-march and first week of april. I always got my order in early.
There is a huge hardware store in Nixa Missouri that has bee days several times in the spring. I figure I’ll go up there and get him fixed up in the spring. When I was a kid bees were always sent through the post office. The post master would call us when they came in and ask us to come get them as quick as we could. She seemed pleased when we come got the bees. 🤣

Last time i bought bees the guy had about 200 pkgs in his shop. 10K-12K bees in each pkg and I got 5 pkgs. I drove 150miles back home with about 55K bees in the cab of the truck with me. I was a little nervous, not my driving but just one idiot on the road and i'd bee in a mess. pardon the pun. 😁

Package a  (3).jpg

i enjoy reading posts about this young man ! he is a winner...yall doing great job !
He’s my only child and I had him later in life. I have tried to teach him everything I can and spend as much time with him as possible. Jake being prepared for life has been my priority since the day he was born. I have taught him the old ways and many things I pray he will never have to use but I figure he will be prepared for what life throws at him.

He’s my only child and I had him later in life. I have tried to teach him everything I can and spend as much time with him as possible. Jake being prepared for life has been my priority since the day he was born. I have taught him the old ways and many things I pray he will never have to use but I figure he will be prepared for what life throws at him.
Which was the way with me and my son.

Ben

Latest posts

Back