Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We try to add our stores every week when we buy groceries. This week we added another bag of beans and flour a little pasta some protein powder, coffee, cooking oil and peanut butter. Our shelves are full and with canning season coming up it’s time to build more.

View attachment 83790View attachment 83791
That there is a thing of beauty 😍

You know thats heavy on my mind! After we get done with taxes this year and if we have any money left over maybe we can get one.
While I've been disappointed in the company itself I can not discount the uses of one. Hopefully they get competition soon.
I've put a lot of home made food away so far. Lots from last years garden too. In addition to canning and freezing its been a game changer.
Hope it works out for you. Just be aware they are diva's and like certain room temps to run "properly".

Might sound like an odd one, but I picked up 3 more gallons of pumice olive oil - for making soap.
Also have a large Azure order to arrive Thurs. Looking forward to it since some of it I've been trying to get for 2-3 months (computer issue on my part then out of stock on their part) ugh! I just want it in the pantry.

My prepping these days is more along the lines of taking care of all the legalities so my daughter can benefit from what I have with the least amount of government interference. And trying to consolidate and streamline, minimizing clutter and getting back to basics. Too much stuff. Husband put a lot of his stuff in storage when he moved up here. Now he's gone, and I have to deal with the storage units and get them cleared out. Discovered about ten cases of mountain house foods, along with massive amounts of tools, books, etc. Then there's all the stuff squirreled away in the attic, do I really need to keep clothes I don't wear and mugs I never use? Trying to sort and decide what could be useful, and what would simply be excess stuff and a burden on my kid to clear out when I'm gone. Like others, I'm here and I'm staying. Too old and tired and just don't give a damn anymore. So no bug out plans or forest strongholds, instead I'm looking at modifying the house so I can age in place then exit with little fuss.

My prepping these days is more along the lines of taking care of all the legalities so my daughter can benefit from what I have with the least amount of government interference. And trying to consolidate and streamline, minimizing clutter and getting back to basics. Too much stuff. Husband put a lot of his stuff in storage when he moved up here. Now he's gone, and I have to deal with the storage units and get them cleared out. Discovered about ten cases of mountain house foods, along with massive amounts of tools, books, etc. Then there's all the stuff squirreled away in the attic, do I really need to keep clothes I don't wear and mugs I never use? Trying to sort and decide what could be useful, and what would simply be excess stuff and a burden on my kid to clear out when I'm gone. Like others, I'm here and I'm staying. Too old and tired and just don't give a damn anymore. So no bug out plans or forest strongholds, instead I'm looking at modifying the house so I can age in place then exit with little fuss.
I'd keep some of the clothes that are too big for you. Being able to look like you lost weight from lack of food might come in handy. If you don't want the tools, they might be good trading stock. Keep an eye out for swapping materials. Can will likely loose value so hard assets will be king.

Bought two Dexter cows a couple weeks ago, we pick up two more this Saturday. We’ve spent most of spring clearing land and running fence for them. That’ll get you into shape quick!

The garden is planted for the most part, sweet potatoes, peppers and ground cherries will go in in the next week or so depending on the temperature.

Getting a bit nervous about whether or not this bird flu is going to mess with my chicken and duck delivery scheduled for the middle of June. These are the chickens we were hoping would be broody and give us a sustainable flock of meat and eggs.

Attachments

• 7C6E252E-BA77-4ED4-8E35-306ADC7326C7.jpeg
    7C6E252E-BA77-4ED4-8E35-306ADC7326C7.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 13
For boots on the farm or hunting plants I used to buy $100 boots, no particular brand. The boots would have to be replaced each year, pitiful crap.

On year I found boots on the Cabela website by Meindl, a world renown company. They were great boots, insulated hikers, got 5 years use out of that first pair, $300. The sole came unglued. Money wise I saved $200 over those 5 years on boots.

I bought another pair in 2015. They failed this week, same issue. The sole came unglued. I ran some searches and discovered Meindl wants nothing to do with Cabela's anymore. Seems Cabela wanted corners cut for the boots Meindl made for them. Had them made cheaper. The sole coming unglued was the common failure.

Meindl now has a US online store for ordering directly from them. I just ordered a pair of “lite hikers” instead of insulated. The insulated were a bit warm for my climate, besides, I don’t hunt plants with snow on the ground unless it’s an emergency.

They were $240 with free shipping. The last 2 pairs I got through cabela were a cheaper version of the “comfort fit hiker” on the left. I bought the boot on the right, better for warm weather. I count a quality boot as a prep item.

Also, I just used a tube of gorilla glue and clamps on my old boots. Maybe it'll work and I can get more use out of them.

Lite hiker.jpg

My new Meindl boots came today, didn't expect them until next week sometime. I'm glad I didn't pay extra for express shipping. 48hrs is plenty quick.

They look great, quality boots. They walk great also, feel good but a little narrow. They only had EE widths, I usually buy EEEE widths. Yes, my feet are almost as wide as they are long. Thought about a career in the circus as a young man :rolleyes:.

I'm happy with them but let's see how long they last.

Boots Meindl 01a.JPG

My new Meindl boots came today, didn't expect them until next week sometime. I'm glad I didn't pay extra for express shipping. 48hrs is plenty quick.

They look great, quality boots. They walk great also, feel good but a little narrow. They only had EE widths, I usually buy EEEE widths. Yes, my feet are almost as wide as they are long. Thought about a career in the circus as a young man :rolleyes:.

View attachment 84494
If that were my dog....about 7 hours.

So, I have five gallon buckets of flour from 2014. The buckets were lined with a food grade plastic bag and filled to the brim. Sealing was nothing more then pressing as much air as possible out, twisting the bag closed and tucking the end down the side to hold the twist. On with the lid and forgotten about until yesterday when I found them buried in the back of a shipping container.

Rather than just chucking the flour, I decided to do a quality test first. The easiest side by side trial was to make noodles, hence spaghetti for supper. I made identical dough from old and new flour and avoided any cross contamination.

2014 flour was pure white. New flour was yellowish.
2014 flour has more gluten content

Raw dough from each flour tasted the same; no hint of rancidity.

Both cooked up the same and both tasted fresh. The 2014 dough was a bit firmer. (Gluten content?)

Conclusion: keep the old flour and do a bread test when I get a minute. I don't anticipate any problems with the poorly stored flour. I have 50 gal of it so it would be nice if it's good all round.

Do another test some time with 2014 whole wheat flour. It's appearance and smell also looks promising.

Last edited:
So, I have five gallon buckets of flour from 2014. The buckets were lined with a food grade plastic bag and filled to the brim. Sealing was nothing more then pressing as much air as possible out, twisting the bag closed and tucking the end down the side to hold the twist. On with the lid and forgotten about until yesterday when I found them buried in the back of a shipping container.

Rather than just chucking the flour, I decided to do a quality test first. The easiest side by side trial was to make noodles, hence spaghetti for supper. I made identical dough from old and new flour and avoided any cross contamination.

2014 flour was pure white. New flour was yellowish.
2014 flour has more gluten content

Raw dough from each flour tasted the same; no hint of rancidity.

Both cooked up the same and both tasted fresh. The 2014 dough was a bit firmer. (Gluten content?)

Conclusion: keep the old flour and do a bread test when I get a minute. I don't anticipate any problems with the poorly stored flour. I have 50 gal of it so it would be nice if it's good all round.

Do another test some time with 2014 whole wheat flour. It's appearance and smell also looks promising.
I will be curious as to your upcoming experiments. Based on what we are typically told, 6 months is it for flour. This also goes right along with why I hoped into this thread.

My Azure Standard order was lacking last week (grumble, grumble.) Several things were there when I confirmed the order then out by the time they filled it. One of the items was a 25 lb. bag of organic hard red wheat berries. I looked elsewhere online but they were spendy! About $20.50 at AS. I checked at a local store than carries quite a few organic options. It had just arrived and wasn't on the shelf (bulk they have to bag and price). I was by the following day so stopped in again to see if they had it on the shelf yet. They did and it was $17 for a 25 lb. bag! I vac. seal it in half gallon jars. I got 7+ jars. It's not tons, but is that much more so I'm glad to have it. Also, did get the few spices I ordered.

I don't know who suggested months for flour. In my experience flour lasts for several years. Probably the same people that want you to throw out canned goods on their use by date. The only time I threw out flour was if it got bugs in it.

Agree there. I've never had to throw out flour. But I've only really tested five years past best buy date. Couldn't tell a difference. Maybe if it was self rising flour, it mike lose it's umpf in the baking powder. But I just used some 3 yrs expired baking powder and no difference either.
I store flour and wheat berries. I'll store anything.
The last flour I bought a few weeks ago had a warning label on it that said not to eat it raw. Ha Ha

The son visited for a week, he threw stuff out without asking, just look at the use by date and in the hopper. What really makes me made was he didn't write down what he threw out.... Which means my inventory is now completely hosed..... NOT HAPPY :(

Now that he is gone again I can put in an online order that I had on hold to avoid getting that "You're buying more?" lecture.... Kids, you gotta love them but you can't always reason with them....

@UrbanHunter I've the opposite problem. My 87 year old dad always has something to say about me laying in extra but the minute my brother mentions he can't get (insert short item here) he wants to get extra.

On the topic of flour....it's all about the storage. I've had flour go rancid. It needs to be stored in air tight containers. I've had extra in their original grocery store packaging bags in the cupboard. Actually far back of the cupboard and forgotten about. Since culinary school, I always do a taste test before using. When working at the pastry shop, we would put the rolling bin of flour in the walk-in fridge when closing for vacation.

I have been forced to eat gluten-free for many years. Over the weekend my wife wanted to make a cake. She pulled a cake mix out and the use by date was in 2014. She was going to throw it out (we had newer ones) but I told her it was likely still fine. She thought I was just saying that because I couldn't eat it anyway. I told her to add some fresh baking powder and she baked the cake. Apparently it was perfectly fine and she said besides looking and smelling fine it tasted great. Oh, the cake was chocolate if you were wondering.
Always test everything before throwing good stuff away.

Yesterday I had to go to town to finish the paperwork on the freezer. By finish I mean pay for it, sign the paperwork. Nice of them to stay at the warehouse a few extra minutes so I could pick it up last Friday… and then take it without paying.

Since I was already in town and suddenly have a lot of freezer space… Meat time! There is a small local grocery store in town that cuts their own meats, a great butcher shop. On Tuesday’s they pack the meat coolers. I got there about 3pm Tuesday.

I buy the “odd” steaks, end cuts off primals. The steaks are odd sized, sometimes a little thicker on one edge than the other. They sell them for about the price of ground chuck. I got 10 bone-in ribeye's and 6 trimmed, average price per steak $7.19. I got 10 T-bone steaks, average $7.44 per steak.

I also got 4 large pkg of “misc pork chops” for $23. Some bone-in, some trimmed, odd sizes, tastes like pork chops to me! Just over $1 per chop.

It’s tricky to cook some of these meats, especially the ones that are thinner on one edge. I’ve been buying them a few years and have gotten the hang of it.

I also got 10lbs of bacon/sausage and 5lbs of ground chuck, meat day completed. Today I got all of it vacuum sealed and in the freezer.

food steaks raw.JPG

Picked up another 25# bag of organic wheat berries today - only $16.15 customer appreciation day (wahoo!) I think we are good on wheat for a bit. It will at least be a good working supply through this year's harvest. We are in wheat country so usually have other opportunities though we just get organic. Would depend upon how desperate we were. Also, neighbor planted peas in two of the fields around us again. Last year they had them in the field on the other side of us and said if we wanted some to help ourselves. I took them up on it as they let most of it go to waste (I think grew for seed). So barring anything too wild, we should have peas also.

I went to an estate sale and found a few things.

tupperware containers - 25-50 cents each
T-fal pan with lid - 75 cents
bag of staples - $1
mens underwear still in package of 8 pairs $2 each - got 3 packages
large aluminum stock pot - $5
universal meat grinder - $2 (already have one but couldn't pass it up for the price)
Stiel brand chainsaw chains - $2
shovel $3
battery charger - $5
Presto canner - $10

I wasn't going to get the canner b/c I already have canners that I haven't used. But, I thought for $10 it would be good to have an extra in case we needed to speed can stuff due to a long term power outage. It even came in the original box...just wish it had the manual, but I'll just have to download and print it.

Last edited:
I just looked at Cackle Hatchery website wondering how they were doing. We have ordered from there many times. Looks ok, stock looks not bad. Prices are up about 50 cents a chick.
I'm just going to keep reloading our incubators.
I ordered some chicks and ducks from them a couple months ago that are set to deliver middle of June. I’m hoping nothing happens with them between now and then.😬

View attachment 84494
Is that a Malinois?

Latest posts

Back