Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can restore gas! Please, share. My big truck with 3 tanks has 2 with old gas. I thought I’d have to pay to have it drained. Saddle tanks, 10 gallons, big one, maybe 50. Thank you!!
--- ---
This was my experience one summer a number of years ago... I was given a pickup load of old gas cans.. Maybe 25 or a bit more.. All sizes up to 20 liter (5 gallon) Most were plastic, some steel cans of different types.. There were also 4-5 outboard motor remote tanks.. I mixed the gas together to accumulate about 60 plus liters of fuel... I give it a small amount of blue 2 cycle oil and let it settle a good amount of time.. Without disturbing it as little as possible I siphoned it off into a clear plastic 4 liter milk bottle.. Letting it settle again.... Being able to see through the bottle in the sun light, I siphoned it off into a container to use from.. I mixed it about 3 parts fresh fuel with 1 part reclaimed fuel... It ran OK in my old Dodge pickup...

It was not a fast process.. It took all summer to do this, but I figure I got 60 liters (about 15 gallon) of fuel out of the process... Only having about 2 liters left over to discard..

I threw away some of the containers, gave away some... Sold some.. Cleaned up and rinsed out, the outboard fuel tanks sold for good money..

I'm always behind in keeping my gear organized but even on crappy days I try to do something. Like today... Put snow seal on the boots I got in April. Hurricane season is knocking on the door. I like to have good boots on during a big storm... and they do get wet.

Severe energy cuts are rolling out throughout Europe esp Germany and Austria.

Rather than listen to some MSM propaganda about what's happening over there I would rather listen to someone who is actually living it.
Survival Lilly is one such person.
She lives in Austria.
I'll also attach a PDF booklet the German gov. issues it's citizens on how to cook without electricity and survive during a disaster https://www.bbk.bund.de/SharedDocs/...isasters-alarm.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4

Severe energy cuts are rolling out throughout Europe esp Germany and Austria.

Rather than listen to some MSM propaganda about what's happening over there I would rather listen to someone who is actually living it.
Survival Lilly is one such person.
She lives in Austria.
I'll also attach a PDF booklet the German gov. issues it's citizens on how to cook without electricity and survive during a disaster https://www.bbk.bund.de/SharedDocs/...isasters-alarm.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4

Great post! I downloaded the PDF it is in English and it contains a lot of useful information for the newbie prepper on almost every subject.

I like and admire both these gentlemen.
Mr Hunter because his heart is in the right place, he's a Christian conservative and wants to tell the truth.
Mr Armstrong because of his accuracy and he's a contrarian. I do my own research and due diligence BUT I always pay attention to the contrarian esp. when they are opposite to the narrative. It gives you a starting point to glean the real truth.
This TRUTH is worth watching multiple times so you can catch the nuances and implications of what he is saying and what's coming down.
I'm on my third go around and this time with a note pad and pen so I can slap things on pause, rewind it and then play and then pause just to make sure I have everything straight so I can write it down without missing anything.

https://usawatchdog.com/2023-will-be-year-from-hell-martin-armstrong/

One more prep to consider. Today I finally found thermotabs. They are "salt tabs" for staying hydrated in hot weather. We have a metal shop and the guys are working over torches in hot weather. (We do have a temp limit that we stop work for safety reasons.) I purchased 2 bottles - one for the shop and one for home. I will go get more soon for the sake of having them.

Given the gravity of Mr Hunter's interview with Mr Armstrong I have decided to empty my accounts and turn it into a range of items to help myself and Landshark survive what is coming.
Our country has bank bail-in laws which means that the bank takes all deposits to save itself before it can get a bail-out from the gov.
Depositors are classed as unsecured creditors and any money you have deposited with a banking institution is fair game.

As always my cancer fighting protocols have first ranking
- 10 ltrs of FenBen.
- 2 x 1 litres of injectable ivermectin.
- 1 kg of St Mary's Thistle seeds.
- 2000 empty number "0" gel capsules.
- 500ml DMSO.
- 2 x 60 Tetracycline tablets.
- 3 x 1kg bags of different whey isolate favours - Mango, creamy vanilla, iced coffee.

Then there is water.
My large bladder tank was stolen when my garden was destroyed so I've now brought 2 x 1500 litre water tanks.
I brought a Pathfinder kit. It has a stainless steel nesting cup with strainer lid, 32 oz stainless steel bottle with lid, bottle hanger, twig stove, cutlery set, ferro rod and striker, multi cam bag with shoulder strap. Chemicals to sanitise water run out but I'm able to find fistfulls of twigs to boil water to make it safe to drink.
1 large Milbank bag to strain out particulates before I boil the water.

Other items
-10 kgs of potato flakes.
- Rubber boots.
- electric blanket.
- water proof dressings and sterile packs of gauze.
- Canine ear drops.
- medicated dog shampoo
- 1 Fyke bank net.

I will be waiting for these items to be delivered from a whole range of different locations spread over the country.

I need to add to this list including replacing my windscreen and desexing the Landshark as soon as she goes through this phantom pregnancy and I clear up this cootie rash thing she has happening on her butt.

Last edited:
I was told that accounts are insured with banks that have FDIC insurance up to $250,000 each and credit unions with NCUA insurance up to $250,000 per account. Still, I guess you have to trust the institution that you bank with. I use local independent banks/CU's, even though I know nothing is 100% safe.

Money anywhere right now seems sketchy, including IRA accounts, which the .gov has a stronghold on as well b/c if you withdrawl it, you get the tax hammer. Even cash is sketchy b/c it's losing value daily.

I think you are smart to put that money into assets TankGirl. I'm trying to do the same thing but it's like walking a tight rope. The only thing that seems fool proof is food, ammo, water, secondary heat/cooling sources, etc. I'm trying to concentrate on immediate needs and stocking up b/c it's hard to try to save for the future right now when it looks like the whole house of cards is getting ready to fall.

When you deposit your cash into a bank, any bank, they Debit your account because it is a loan to the bank. It is an unsecured loan. This means that you are the last person to be paid should the bank fail. The clerk behind the counter gets paid before you. The utility company gets paid before you. The cleaning service gets paid before you.

Borrow on your home from the same bank, that is a secured loan. The bank fails, takes all your currency, you can't pay your mortgage, even if you have enough deposited to pay off the house, the bank forecloses on your home for nonpayment. Their loan is secured, yours is not.

banks that have FDIC insurance up to $250,000 each and credit unions with NCUA insurance up to $250,000 per account. Still, I guess you have to trust the institution that you bank with.
--- ---
A concern many seem to have is .... Just because they are insured.. And you make a claim... Will you live long enough for them to get around to paying this claim off ?? ?? Think about it....

banks that have FDIC insurance up to $250,000 each and credit unions with NCUA insurance up to $250,000 per account. Still, I guess you have to trust the institution that you bank with.
--- ---
A concern many seem to have is .... Just because they are insured.. And you make a claim... Will you live long enough for them to get around to paying this claim off ?? ?? Think about it....
That's fine if a few banks fail. When numerous banks fail the government will not have the funds to pay everyone so they will cover the banks losses and leave us hanging.

I just booked her in to get desexed!
I remembered that there was a vet in a little village 30 mins down the road.
They're going to charge me $362.
SOLD!
My boy goes tomorrow to get neutered. It's going to be hard keeping him calm for several days after. You'll have your hands full after Landshark's surgery!!

I've tried the head cone on her when she had an allergy rash on her belly and that ended up badly.
She went into a rage and was bouncing off walls, snarling and roaring, somersaults......it was quite frightening to get her to focus on me so she knew it was me so I could take it off.

I've tried the head cone on her when she had an allergy rash on her belly and that ended up badly.
She went into a rage and was bouncing off walls, snarling and roaring, somersaults......it was quite frightening to get her to focus on me so she knew it was me so I could take it off.
I tried one on Bear a couple times last week, he was obsessed with getting it off! I bought a "Cloud Collar", he was more tolerant of that! He'll be groggy coming home tomorrow so he may not mind the cone!! Slow and easy is not his nature, I took a few days off, hopefully all goes well!! I'll always have in the back of my mind that it will be easier than you will have it with your girl!!😉

The wife is reviewing our prep-status, right now we are looking a canning a bunch of ready meals, she has her list. This time of year we are getting enough off the garden to help fill some jars.

I ordered a couple of books on collecting seeds and sustainable gardening. I am expanding my indoor tomato patch, the goal is to have 8 Siam tomato plants producing by fall, the 2 plants I have give me about 6 salad tomatoes a week, 8 plants will give us enough to cover salads every day. I am trying to figure out how big a container I need to grow squash indoors, I figure if I can have 2 plants that would be good. The outdoor celery is producing well and we are dehydrating that for use in stocks and stews.

I picked up another pump to transfer water between the different water barrels (drinking vs rain barrels), we have gone for 3 weeks without rain now and the wife keeps reminding me that we need to flush and fill our drinking water storage. I looked at the new pump and it is exactly like the one I have been using for 2 years outside, but the brand is different....

I was thinking of a mild doggy sedative. My Heidi hated her cone of shame and pretty much purposefully walked into me every chance she got. It lasted two hours.

The wife is reviewing our prep-status, right now we are looking a canning a bunch of ready meals, she has her list. This time of year we are getting enough off the garden to help fill some jars.

I ordered a couple of books on collecting seeds and sustainable gardening. I am expanding my indoor tomato patch, the goal is to have 8 Siam tomato plants producing by fall, the 2 plants I have give me about 6 salad tomatoes a week, 8 plants will give us enough to cover salads every day. I am trying to figure out how big a container I need to grow squash indoors, I figure if I can have 2 plants that would be good. The outdoor celery is producing well and we are dehydrating that for use in stocks and stews.

I picked up another pump to transfer water between the different water barrels (drinking vs rain barrels), we have gone for 3 weeks without rain now and the wife keeps reminding me that we need to flush and fill our drinking water storage. I looked at the new pump and it is exactly like the one I have been using for 2 years outside, but the brand is different....

I'd be checking out the hydroponic stores that cater to the weed crowd.
A lot of them don't grow their plants hydropocially but in fabric grow bags in high grade potting soil and liquid nutrients that are designed for soil growing indoors.
They also have the tight right sort of lights with the right light spectrum that take a minimum amount of power.
The grow tents with a refelctive interior reflect all that light around the plants so there isn't a dark spot causing leaning and uneven growth.
JUst something to think about.

Weed grow tents aren't just for weed.

I just got my Electricity bill via e-mail.

My supplier normally has a 3 week grace period between the bill issue date and payment date and if you needed a time extension you rang up and asked for one.
Not anymore.
Payment is demanded NOW.
No grace period and if you want a time extension you have to ring.

Luckily my bill was the amount I expected it to be....but for how long?
I lived on an extremely tight budget when I was paying off my debt.
Paying off triple payments every pension.
I would normally have around $21 to pay for a little fuel for the car and groceries for the fortnight.
My gardens and chickens kept me fed when the budget didn't even give me $21.

I'm slowly....slowly....solarifying? the house. I recently figured out that even on my smaller solar system that was intended just to charge devices and run the pump, that I can light all the rooms in my house indefinitely with DC LED strip lights...so I'm installing those.

I've been avoiding 'big' solar for years as I don't want to end up too dependent on electricity, let alone solar which is pretty seasonal here, but slowly I'm finding more things to use it for.

I just booked her in to get desexed!
I remembered that there was a vet in a little village 30 mins down the road.
They're going to charge me $362.
SOLD!
I paid $305USD ten months ago to get my girl cut. When you convert to Australian, you got an excellent price!

I was lucky, I just told my girl how pretty she was in her new dress and she tolerated the collar well. She strutted around and then started playing with this new toy. It still got shredded but at least she didn't get freaked out. It was a soft collar but had some rigid plastic so I had to take it off as she shredded the plastic leaving sharp edges.

We have a great spay/neuter, shot clinic in this area. It cost me 135.00$ to have Bear neutered, his second set of puppy shots, and six months of heartworm preventative! On the way to pick him up shortly, all went well. Will have a big groggy boy on my hands shortly. Hubby is going with me thankfully!!

Latest posts

Back