Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new phone is a Nokia dumb flip phone, but I liked my other older phone better. It lasted more than ten yrs.
Looking for a new dumb phone, what model is it and is it really dumb?

My favorite was the LG Chocolate phone. Bought it in 06. Just stopped working recently. I don't know what model this phone is but it's a flip Nokia. I don't text often, but trying to text on this is dumb. To type the letter S, you have to hit the 7 button 4 times. It can be hooked up to the internet, but mine isn't. It supposedly can take a picture, but haven't tried to. Husband ordered it for me and kept my same phone number, but not my, "Back in Black" ringtone. This one can't do other ringtones. I get an average of 5 texts a week, usually my husband. Maybe 7 phone calls a week, usually my husband, the neighbor, mom, or my favorite cousin. I rarely make calls.

My green beans didn't do very well this year, so I bought 3 pounds Friday night that were on sale for 99 cents per pound. I also added what little I had from the garden, which wasn't much. I got up this morning and washed and cut them, then blanched and dunked them in ice water. After that I dried them with towels and put them all in a big zip lock bag and threw them in the freezer. I like to just dump them all in the same big bag and take what I need out for meals. It works well for me, but that bag won't last me very long. Still......3+ pounds is better than nothing......and they taste better than the canned store brand.

My dad had a good thing to add to the preps - He and Hubby were talking about Hubby's upcoming hunting trip. They will be quite a ways from anywhere with no service most of the time. Pa said, "Might make sure you have some of that 200 tape." It's a high pressure/heat tape for things like radiator hoses etc. He suggested not getting it on our skin.

My dad had a good thing to add to the preps - He and Hubby were talking about Hubby's upcoming hunting trip. They will be quite a ways from anywhere with no service most of the time. Pa said, "Might make sure you have some of that 200 tape." It's a high pressure/heat tape for things like radiator hoses etc. He suggested not getting it on our skin.

1. 3M High-Temperature Flue Tape (2 Packs)

3M High-Temperature Flue Tape (2 Packs)3M High-Temperature Flue Tape (2 Packs) 120

$17.65$17.65

2. Aluminum Tape High Heat Resistant Sealing Tape High Temperature Flue Tape Aluminum Foil Duct Tape High Temp Metal HVAC Tape f
    Aluminum Tape High Heat Resistant Sealing Tape High Temperature Flue Tape Aluminum Foil Duct Tape High Temp Metal HVAC Tape for Duct Work AC Units Furnace Dryer Vent, 115 Feet (2.36 Inch in Width)Aluminum Tape High Heat Resistant Sealing Tape High Temperature Flue Tape Aluminum Foil Duct Tape High Temp Metal HVAC Tape for Duct Work AC Units Furnace Dryer Vent, 115 Feet (2.36 Inch… 51

$12.99$12.99($0.11/Foot)

https://www.amazon.com/3M-High-Temperature-Flue-15-Foot/dp/B00004Z4DS?th=1#

1. 3M High-Temperature Flue Tape (2 Packs)

3M High-Temperature Flue Tape (2 Packs)3M High-Temperature Flue Tape (2 Packs) 120

$17.65$17.65

2. Aluminum Tape High Heat Resistant Sealing Tape High Temperature Flue Tape Aluminum Foil Duct Tape High Temp Metal HVAC Tape f
    Aluminum Tape High Heat Resistant Sealing Tape High Temperature Flue Tape Aluminum Foil Duct Tape High Temp Metal HVAC Tape for Duct Work AC Units Furnace Dryer Vent, 115 Feet (2.36 Inch in Width)Aluminum Tape High Heat Resistant Sealing Tape High Temperature Flue Tape Aluminum Foil Duct Tape High Temp Metal HVAC Tape for Duct Work AC Units Furnace Dryer Vent, 115 Feet (2.36 Inch… 51

$12.99$12.99($0.11/Foot)

3. Imperial Mfg Group Usa Imperial Manufacturing Damper 3" Dia. Cast Iron, 1Imperial Mfg Group Usa Imperial Manufacturing Damper 3" Dia. Cast Iron, 1 350

$6.40$6.40

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004Z4DS/ref=dp_olp_NEW_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=NEW

Found four whole chickens at Walmart today, so I'll cook them up tomorrow, freeze dry some, and freeze the rest.
Go for chicken stew!

Today I seal-a-meal-ed the 5 "extra" meat loaves we made yesterday. We wrapped them with parchment paper and put them in the freezer overnight and then I sealed them up this morning, they don't squish as much sealing them already frozen, seal better too.

The DIL sent us some links about sanitizing water storage containers with dish soap and bleach (edit: wash with dish soap, rinse well, sanitize with diluted bleach: don't mix bleach and soap as @Amish Heart indicated you can get chlorine gas which is highly toxic) , the wife liked the idea and wants me to do that to our storage.

We had a visitor last night, he was talking with us about food storage and how we use our quick meals to be self sufficient. He said that his wife keeps adding house plants that he has to take care of and he wished she would switch to eatable plants. I had one starter cup with 6 of my miniature tomatoes that had just come up, they were "extras" so I gave it to him and told him how to sub-divide it up into individual house plants. 6 cherry tomato plants for house plants should give them some snacks... Preparations in small steps...

FYI, I had 8 individual plants and 3 extra starter cups with 6+ sprouts in each from my home collected seeds, so I didn't give away much from my perspective, just 1 starter cup.

I think having the ability to share living food in a time of need might be a way to help people help themselves.... I could imagine starting lettuce and tomatoes in Dixie cups and then taking a tray of them to give away at church or center would let people have a dozen plants that they could eat without putting too much burden on your own resources.

Last edited:
I always thought you should not mix dish soap with bleach. My kitchen employees would try that in our school kitchen, and it was dangerous.
Does the dish soap have ammonia in it? Bleach and ammonia create a toxic gas when combined. Or so I've heard, read, been told. Don't know from personal experience but . . . well . . . let's just say if I'm using a bathroom cleaner with bleach, I'm real cautious about using the facilities for a little bit.

I need to buy the right fluids for the car and several sets of spark plugs, leads and filters.
The tyres are in good shape but I wonder how much it would cost me to buy a set of new ( or good second hand ones), non-fancy rims with another set of tyres already fitted?

I went shopping physically as I was feeling a lot stronger than I had in a while.
To my dismay I discovered all the buy limits they put on on-line shopping they ignore for physical shopping.
They had a sale on large tins of cream and chunky soups so I brought several flats of each of my favorites.
I brought a flat of tinned ham, tuna in spring water, pizza sauce, tinned spaghetti sauce with beef, OTC medicines, MCT oil, 3kgs of red lentils and chic peas.

Then I went to our version of the Dollar Tree and brought 6 bags of pasta for 75 cents each, clothes pegs, coat hangers, and a whole swag of seed packets.
I brought a 1 litre stainless steel water bottle but I can't tell if it''s double walled or not.

I went to the chemist to buy more mega dose Milk Thistle seed caps and they were completely out.
They are the only chemist that physically stocks this brand but they do have a smaller store in another part of town.
I might make a detour after I get my windscreen fixed and see if they have some otherwise I'm having to take my chances buying from them on-line.

I need to buy the right fluids for the car and several sets of spark plugs, leads and filters.
The tyres are in good shape but I wonder how much it would cost me to buy a set of new ( or good second hand ones), non-fancy rims with another set of tyres already fitted?

I went shopping physically as I was feeling a lot stronger than I had in a while.
To my dismay I discovered all the buy limits they put on on-line shopping they ignore for physical shopping.
They had a sale on large tins of cream and chunky soups so I brought several flats of each of my favorites.
I brought a flat of tinned ham, tuna in spring water, pizza sauce, tinned spaghetti sauce with beef, OTC medicines, MCT oil, 3kgs of red lentils and chic peas.

Then I went to our version of the Dollar Tree and brought 6 bags of pasta for 75 cents each, clothes pegs, coat hangers, and a whole swag of seed packets.
I brought a 1 litre stainless steel water bottle but I can't tell if it''s double walled or not.

I went to the chemist to buy more mega dose Milk Thistle seed caps and they were completely out.
They are the only chemist that physically stocks this brand but they do have a smaller store in another part of town.
I might make a detour after I get my windscreen fixed and see if they have some otherwise I'm having to take my chances buying from them on-line.
First, glad you are feeling stronger :woo hoo:
Second, on the tires (tyres) - this is for here, but might be worth asking over there. If you purchase a set of tires, when you need them mounted onto your existing rims, it's free if you take them to the place where you got them. We got a set for my car and for Hubby's pick-up (ouch!) But at least we have them. Hubby's had to be ordered in. Mine were in stock. I put studs on for winter - when I do that, I will take these in and have the new ones mounted.

All the back log and over ordering of inventory for stores have been unloaded from cargo ships and now there aren't customers buying.
No doubt the customers are spending their money on buying food and trying to pay their bank loans.

I've been to HD twice in the past week and a half. I actually commented to Hubby that there were fewer cars there than I've ever seen.

All the back log and over ordering of inventory for stores have been unloaded from cargo ships and now there aren't customers buying.
No doubt the customers are spending their money on buying food and trying to pay their bank loans.

I need to check my Harbor Frieght. I bought a 44" bottom roll around box a few years ago. Still need a top and end cabinet to go with it.

Thanks for posting about the inventory issues at those places, I need a new grill, but I would rather wait for an end of season closeout sale.... the one I'm currently using is close to 10 years old and I got it on closeout for $99.

Last edited:
So last week I told the wife that the flour and sugar storage areas had some empty space, not low but no longer full. Now I am talking about maybe 20# lower of each than what I would call FULL. My definition of FULL is when there isn't room for flea to make a home, can't see light, water running out the top of the pail, that's FULL.

Today, a delivery of Flour and Sugar arrived, now this is not bagged flour & sugar, but the 20+year shelf life long term storage stuff, 100# of each.... Now my only problem is how to put 100#s in a 20# hole......

Latest posts

Back