Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the Finger Lakes area, upstate NY. About 30 years ago, an exodus from Lancaster PA greatly improved life in NY. So many good people and good businesses. Farming revived, and so many things are greatly improved.

Far above Cayuga's waters with its waves of blue... Did some graduate work at Cornell eons ago. Beautiful area. I would love to go back and visit

I just had to post this.
I just now heard a commercial on one my local radio station for Patriot Supply.
I'm totally surprised. Its the first one I've ever heard here.
I think I remember a commercial for a LTS company way back during the obama nightmare but it was a station out of Pa

I may have mentioned that I picked up a UPS for my CPAP about a month ago. We had a rolling blackout for about 12 hours. We had power enough not to freeze and with the UPS I was able to sleep through most of it.

Had a small bare spot on the wall in our storage room so I threw this little can rack together out of scraps.
2-9- 001.jpg

Yesterday I was able to order another year's supply of canning lids, wide and regular mouth. Makes me feel better as we are hoping to do more canning this year. To be honest you can almost buy the jars and the lids for the price of the lids today, but I don't have any more room for storing canning jars....

We've been busy this past month. There's not really much else to do, so we've been shopping....

Bought extra insulation and installed it in the barn.
Stocked up on more TP and paper plates (didn't really need)
Bought a case of jellied cranberries (on sale)
Traded some cash for a small amount of gold.
Added to the LTS stash with 6 more buckets of food.
Stocked up on more laundry detergent (on sale)
Bought a nice pair of binoculars
Hubs got a sweet new crossbow with bolts and broadheads
Bought some new heavy winter boots
Bought lots of new fishing equipment to be used for all seasons since the older we get, the more we find ourselves fishing in our spare time and eating fish.

Spent 4 hours in the pantry reorganizing foods and getting food out of the non-see thru totes and moving it to see thru totes or putting it out on shelving so it won't get looked over and forgotten about. I had things like bouillon and energy bars saved and buried in the heavy totes that were older than the other stuff I have. Now, all of it is front and center so that the oldest will get used first. Some of the bars were past their good dates and had to be tossed:( Now the only food I have in the non-transparent totes are LTS foods and powdered drink mixes, tea, and coffee. Even all my personal hygiene products and medical products I'm switching over to transparent totes to more easily see where my supplies are. Sometimes it's just easier to look at the tote than to go through the notebook so see where the items are that I might need at any specific time. Now, if I buy totes, I opt for the see through ones (rather than the hard plastic ones that you can't see through), at least for my pantry room. I will use the non transparent totes for things like boots, clothing, paper products, storage bags, etc.

I have slowly been unpacking and repacking. For some reason, a store 2.5 hours from here has an over abundance of heavy duty steel shelving they are desperate to unload. I am up to 18 shelving units now. I am able to pack stuff up in proper categories and am labeling each crate with its exact contents. I like this school, I can put together a humongous unit pretty much anywhere next to a pile of boxes, load it up and wheel it pretty much anywhere else all sorted and ready to park. Quite a convenience.

I bought 6 clear totes to help me organize my shop. Now I have totes full of stuff. I still can't find what I'm looking for and by the time I get through searching I have forgot what I was doing.
Don't tell my wife but she's right. I have way too much stuff.

I have gone to clipping a note sheet with an inventory of what's on that shelf, the trouble comes when someone helps me by moving stuff...... without telling anyone.

The son was here last week and he was cooking something with his mom, then the panic starts, we are out of something!!!!! I asked the wife, did you put it on the list last time you used it? She didn't remember using it! Then the son speaks up, I used all that was up here and the stuff down stairs last time I was here, threw out the empty bottles. I figured you would re-stock it... Then I ask the $64 question, did you tell anyone that we were out or did you assume that we would just know (being the all knowing omnipresent beings we are).... silence.....

... Then I ask the $64 question, did you tell anyone that we were out or did you assume that we would just know (being the all knowing omnipresent beings we are).... silence.....

We had the same problem at work. Adults that can't or will not think beyond themselves?

We had the same problem at work. Adults that can't or will not think beyond themselves?
I handle that problem by putting the empty container on display were will irritate @ThePrincess .

I don't have to remember to tell her and she gets the message.

Ben

My wife and I actually communicate... I know it's hard to believe but we started our lives together by communicating.
We had been writing, emailing and talking on the phone for two years before I ever saw her. (not even a picture)
She had a picture of me but I told her I didn't need a picture. I got to know who she was and shared who I was... even the dark side which intrigued her, I think. When she came out (from Alabama to Seattle) I met her with a welcome sign and a smile. She melted into my arms and I told her she lied to me.. SHOCKED she said she didn't and asked what I was talking about. I told her quietly that she told me she didn't have boobs. The sweater she was wearing showed her torso off nicely. We still laugh about that moment today. She had been told often and repeatedly that she was flat that she began to believe it. She doesn't believe it anymore. I'm not a guy that likes big breasted women so I thought she looked great - she still does. When I took her to to get some clothes I told the sales lady that she needed to be fit with a bra. She was surprised at the size she was fitted with. She enjoys my dark side and I enjoy her giving me control. We still spend time talking and she has her input and I respect her. We have built a trust that is rare between partners or married couples today. Our relationship was based on trust and communication. If you took everything else away we would still be happy and in love.

My wife and I actually communicate... I know it's hard to believe but we started our lives together by communicating...

We communicate too!

Within a week of being married she asked when I was going to start on "my" to do list? I told her as soon as I get "her" to do list started.

Within a month of being married she told me that she wasn't going to "waste" her money on bills, that's what my money was for.

Within a year of being married we discussed how credit cards could be a financial trap. We agreed we have one for emergencies. I've learned she has three CCs with balances that she's paying the minimal monthly payment.

It was a couple of days ago, but we ordered bees 🐝 for the first time. I have been reading and learning for months and have a class in a couple of weeks, but we are starting down the bee path. Two hives for now. Should be fun, hopefully not a total waste of money.

It was a couple of days ago, but we ordered bees 🐝 for the first time. I have been reading and learning for months and have a class in a couple of weeks, but we are starting down the bee path. Two hives for now. Should be fun, hopefully not a total waste of money.
@ThePrincess plans to keep bees. The investment in the veil alone is worth it particularly when one needs to clear a yellow jackets best.

Rather than spray and run you can just stand there and spray while repeating "die die die" as the critters bounce off the veil.

Ben

Latest posts

Back