Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its on the list. We already have a 24x40ft high tunnel, 40x50ft metal building and the materials for a barn, wood shed and fencing for the new 12 1/2 acres on property and waiting for decent weather. I'm out of storage room and don't want to be on the roof putting in new chimney pipe in this weather.
Do you have an empty space where the range will go or is your current stove there. the chimney can wait till later.

Do you have an empty space where the range will go or is your current stove there. the chimney can wait till later.

The kitchen table is where the stove is going. The old woodstove is where the kitchen table is going to go.

Just a heads up that Iceage Farmer has a new video out today. He shows how biden has started to cripple the farmers and how he has plans to lower the food produced. Also how china is eating up the world and other countries are stopping exports so their own people will have food. Eye opening information
Runtime is 27 mins ( one of his longer ones)

Glad to see Ice Age Farmer is back up. I hadn't heard about him until he was taken off. I'll have to check him out this evening.
There's a lot of information floating around on the web that needs to be saved before it gets scrubbed. If I can't download videos, I may try transcribing them.

Trying to simplify things around the house - clutter, projects, everything. Part of that is just for better living, and part of that is preparedness. Taking stock in what do we really need/use/do around our place. Out with the extraneous. Also finishing up projects (things like cataloging my father's blueprints that I'd promised a sibling) - getting all those projects finished and gone, also in the mindset of streamlining.

I just got another radio that has alerts on it and can pick up ham frequencies. I am not a ham, but at least I can hear them if something big happens. My old handheld nascar scanner would work too, but I don't think it has as far a range as the one I just got. It's got good quality sound, so I'm just using it in the house for a regular radio which I tend to listen to more-so than TV when I'm doing household chores. I searched for a while to find anyone of the ham channels, but nobody seems to be chatting right now.

I ordered some doggie suppliements today that should be here next week.

I picked up some sale items last week for my stash. I got 12 containers of liquid handsoap that was on clearance, more TP (that I don't really need), a cart for hauling wood ordered, some shelving units at the thrift store, and some more deordorant and razor blades that were on clearance.

@angie_nrs, that radio sounds like a good idea. Mind telling me the manufacturer and model? I'm a total noob at this, but I'd like to look into something that can pick up ham. I've debated weather radios, and I think a police scanner is a good idea - I just really need to figure out information sources, it's a weak area for me.

@angie_nrs, that radio sounds like a good idea. Mind telling me the manufacturer and model? I'm a total noob at this, but I'd like to look into something that can pick up ham. I've debated weather radios, and I think a police scanner is a good idea - I just really need to figure out information sources, it's a weak area for me.
I don't know much about radios, so I might not have gotten the best one, but I'm happy with it. There might be better and cheaper options out there. Maybe someone with more radio knowledge than I can recommend something?
Here's what I got. I used a coupon code and got 10% off, which basically just paid for the shipping.
https://ccrane.com/products/ccradio..._campaign=What+Happens+if+the+Internet+Stops?

I don't know much about radios, so I might not have gotten the best one, but I'm happy with it.
I understand what you mean.
I just appreciate it because it gives me a starting point to look into more, when before I didn't know where to start. So thank you!

ETA: That looks like a really nice radio!

Last edited:
Ran our bug out plan a couple weeks ago, of course we had problems but we made it through. Entered a 10 week challenge thru our local prepper group each week discussing a different aspect of our preps. Not specific but thorough.
Won $100, all in my never ending quest to win the coveted prepper of the year award. The great prepper watches over all your preps throughout the year and rises out of the pumpkin patch at Christmas to put the golden ticket in some lucky preppers stocking. This ticket gives the coordinates to the winners trophy which magically contains 1000 rds. of whatever ammo you need the most. I've never won but my day will come.:cool:

I just bought an Instapot Max this morning ( is that a prep?)
Never knew it pressure canned pints( 15psi). The darn thing even makes yogurt lol
I never paid much attention to these things really.
I was surprised a woman on one of my MeWe groups was talking about it and showed some of her canned foods.
It does small batch but thats perfect for hubby and I since its just the 2 of us

@WVDragonlady I keep hearing about instapots. Gonna have to check it out. I'm not sure I've ever seen one.
Yea me too. I've never gave them much thought.
But since this one does canning,yogurt, pressure cooking,rice cooker and slow cooking I thought I'd give it a try

Yea me too. I've never gave them much thought.
But since this one does canning,yogurt, pressure cooking,rice cooker and slow cooking I thought I'd give it a try
I know that guys I work with bring them to the hotels and they can make crockpot chicken recipes without making a mess. Also I guess they work well for eggs. Probably going to have to put the instapots on my list...

I have something similar,not exact Instat pot.
Mine is actually Pressure cooker/canner with 7-9 preset buttons.
I use mine pretty often.
Mine's a Faber ware 9 quart Pressure cooker/Canner.
Paid $59 for it.

Have you used it for canning?

I love the local salvage/bulk stores. They don’t advertise the English way, but are wonderful places to frequent. In the cooler months here, the local produce auctions do groceries. One day a week, a large truckload is brought in and bargains can be phenomenal. Auction- can be. Always need to be careful. We’ve had restaurant or commercial boxes of meat by the case, Starbucks ground coffee, holiday items. Different every week. I think I’ve seen about everything at one time or another. Preppers paradise.
One auction place is Mennonite grocery store surplus, and the other two are salvage surplus.

In the Finger Lakes area, upstate NY. About 30 years ago, an exodus from Lancaster PA greatly improved life in NY. So many good people and good businesses. Farming revived, and so many things are greatly improved.
Our loss was your gain!

One of our backup BOL is on the east side of Chautauqua.

Ben

Ben, that’s a beautiful area. Drove through last week and the lake was beautiful. There’s an in ground house not too far away that catches my eye when I drive by. Lots of open places and opportunity.

Ben, that’s a beautiful area. Drove through last week and the lake was beautiful. There’s an in ground house not too far away that catches my eye when I drive by. Lots of open places and opportunity.
The amusement park is a short walk away.

The Priness brings home Amish bread and treats each time she goes.

Ben

Latest posts

Back