Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I stick with Bic lighters in all of my BOB's, and have many stashed in the deep larder. I did try Scripto, but they are a bad choice for the long term. They dry up. I had to replace several. If you have them just check them regularly to make sure they still work.

I carry a ZIPPO lighter for EDC, and have a few more stashed in long term preps. I also have several butane lighters and fuel for both the Zippo's and the butane. You can get small cans of lighter fluid at Wally World cheap. I usually find it in the camping section. I have a favorite cigar store where I can get butane, but I would admit, I was not ready for the containers he sells. I didn't even know butane came in that large a can. I think it is 13 or 15 oz. It is made in England. I don't think fire starting will be an issue.
I think it would be a fun game to send children on a treasure hunt in your basement 😂 Give them cards with clues. First one to retrieve all the items wins. Like an amazing race or something 🤔

I think it would be a fun game to send children on a treasure hunt in your basement 😂 Give them cards with clues. First one to retrieve all the items wins. Like an amazing race or something 🤔

They would have a blast in my basement, LadyL. We would just have to tie a string to them to make sure they could find their way out. They could find Jimmy Hoffa or the Ark of the Covenant. Lord knows what's down there.

They would have a blast in my basement, LadyL. We would just have to tie a string to them to make sure they could find their way out. They could find Jimmy Hoffa or the Ark of the Covenant. Lord knows what's down there.
Probably the bones of the last kids that tried it.

Last edited:
This could be rolled into a number of sub forums here so I'll put it here as all of my roads lead to being prepared.
Today I went shopping and yeah inflation was noticeable.
I brought 4 baby Isa Brown pullets.
Game bird starter crumbles.
Grain free dog food for the land shark because she has a wheat allergy that gives her a huge inflamed rash, itchy paws and ear infections.
Medicated ear drops for the land shark.
I finally brought a MAP sensor online for the buzz box. Engine braile to get this fitted is going to do my head in.
Went to Bunnings and brought poly pipe and fittings for the new tomato garden.
I also had to replace the seedlings the chickens ate. I really need to learn how to shut a darn gate correctly.

I had to sign into one place manually and I didn't even bother to buy groceries.
Next pension I'll do a huge online shop and get it delivered.
There's no way in hell I'm down loading a app.

How big is land shark now, Tank?
Approx 20 kgs and she was born 22nd of Nov last year.
100% war dog and a man stopper.
It's been a freaking challenge getting a handle on her after she went through her first heat cycle.
We were doing really well and I would have classed her as a 5 out of 10 in the problem scale.
Then she went into heat and ALL of her instincts got dialed up to an 11.
Back to square one.
There was no playin with her.
It took a prong collar and a shock collar to bring her back to sane and safe.
I'm planning on getting her desexed because I just can't trust that I'm going to be able to
Place pups with this sort of high needs, high drive temperment in the right homes.
I thought I had the experience and attitude to deal with a old family red nose.
NOPE.
Not even close.
The only reason why land shark isn't in the ground right now is because I reached out to an American trainer who knows how to get through to these hyper dominant, pig headed dogs.

So far I've frozen 7 pints of blueberries I bought at the farm market
I have 2 pints of raspberries to freeze yet. I want to get more to freeze some time soon. their season doesn't last as long as other berries ( and boy do I love them)
And I bought 3 more quarts of sweet cherries to dehyydrate. That will be the end of the sweet cherries. I don't know if I'll bother with the yellow ones. they're so much more expensive

Waiting on the free stone peaches to come in. Only clings are in season now and I like nectarines too

I like shopping local and keeping the money in the area

Added more canned meats dated out to 2024
Also added 2 Dak hams dated out to 2025
54oz jar of coconut oil
More pastas and egg noodles
Canned vegetables
Disinfecting wipes ( 3 tub pack)
2 cans Lysol spray
10lbs of assorted dried beans

Bought 2 more pints of blueberries to freeze
And I'm picking blackberries every other day and freezeing them after we eat what we want. My finger nails are stained purple lol

Stopped in at the thrift store today to get a couple things for new kitten (found a carrier for her). There are tables out front with "free" items and the little grocery store donates food items that have met their sell by date but are "nonperishables". I saw there was a big box of foods. The parking lot was packed so I didn't take anything as I went in. There are two sides, one for home goods, bedding, clothes etc. the other side has furniture, pots & pans, planter things, lighting/building etc. I went in both sides to look. When I was leaving, I noticed the food items had hardly been touched so I went ahead and took a bag of dehydrated potatoes, powdered milk, dehydrated refried beans, a bag of split green peas, a bag of split yellow peas and a small bag of black beans. There was so much and nobody was taking any of it! It floors me. There were also lots of pastas, and sorghum flour and other things we don't usually eat (I didn't take any of these things).

That's nice that they have that available. Our local thrift store has a place to drop off food for the bigger town's food pantry. Cousin just got 3 bull calf Jerseys for free...no cost to him because he has a Jersey mom that they can milk from. No need to buy any to bottle feed. Offered me one, but I don't need one of those.

That's nice that they have that available. Our local thrift store has a place to drop off food for the bigger town's food pantry. Cousin just got 3 bull calf Jerseys for free...no cost to him because he has a Jersey mom that they can milk from. No need to buy any to bottle feed. Offered me one, but I don't need one of those.
Only because they don't have feathers 😂

Ha Ha. Probably.
I love cows. They're great. I love fresh raw milk and meat. But my cousin does the cows and I do the fowl. Easier that way. Besides, it's a bull calf. And I'd have to buy the milk substitute and bottle feed it. Cousin works the cow sale barn on Tuesdays and the new owner didn't want them because he didn't have anything milking at the moment, and didn't want to purchase the milk substitute. He said take them, or they'd be hit on the head. Cousin raises a bunch of calves for resale at a certain weight, and he has milk Jerseys to feed the calves. And raises his own feed on the farm, so he does ok with it. I think the guy said he'd buy them back at $100 a head when they hit 200 lbs. So not too long.
First weekend that we cleared out extra eggs. 6 dz went to the seniors at Mennonite Manor, 4 dz to a neighbor, and another 4 dz to granddaughter's boyfriends family. Did just pickup a free gallon of raw milk tonight.

Ha Ha. Probably.
I love cows. They're great. I love fresh raw milk and meat. But my cousin does the cows and I do the fowl. Easier that way. Besides, it's a bull calf. And I'd have to buy the milk substitute and bottle feed it. Cousin works the cow sale barn on Tuesdays and the new owner didn't want them because he didn't have anything milking at the moment, and didn't want to purchase the milk substitute. He said take them, or they'd be hit on the head. Cousin raises a bunch of calves for resale at a certain weight, and he has milk Jerseys to feed the calves. And raises his own feed on the farm, so he does ok with it. I think the guy said he'd buy them back at $100 a head when they hit 200 lbs. So not too long.
First weekend that we cleared out extra eggs. 6 dz went to the seniors at Mennonite Manor, 4 dz to a neighbor, and another 4 dz to granddaughter's boyfriends family. Did just pickup a free gallon of raw milk tonight.
It is easier when you have one area that you can be set up for and take care of. Each kind of critter has its own needs. Awesome deal that he can sell them back.
Stocking up as budget allows.
Paying off the last of my debt(new to me car).
Finally owe less than $6575 on it.
Every month make regular payment, but make extra payment of the car payment mount on principle every other month.
Good job! It feels so good to have debt gone.

Kawasaki Mule has been in the shop. Had a nice complete tune-up and gone over. Runs like a different UTV lol Put an electronic fuel pump on, air filter was caked with dust ( well yea we live on a dirt lane), hose tube opening in the fuel tank was against the wall and not getting enough fuel so they cut it at 45 degree angle so that won't happen again, new spark plug, new oil, new differential fluid, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and something else but I can't remember.

Next up is my Toyota FJ Cruiser. It needs going over too and a tune-up

Frame for the steel building came and we have it up. Took us 2 - 8 hour days.
This friday we go to Pa to get the metal for the skin
Still have about 3 weeks yet on the concrete curing before we can add the tons of pellets. Can't run the bobcat on it yet.
I'll be glad when they're all in. That will give us some lee-way on our winter fuel for the next couple of years

We're scratching our heads tying to get ready to live on a very reduced income. Wondering what sort of budget we'll have to come up with and how to save and for what

Hubby went down and applied for our taxes to be discounted for seniors last year. They took $200 off the price. I go down next year to get my name added as I'll hit the age to do it.
I know in my hometown in Md my mom didn't have to pay any taxes when she got to age 70. That was nice. Wish it was the same here in WV lol

Prepping for the days I have to cut and run and hide from my own government and military until China decides to kick our door down. Good. Australia's dubious leadership needs a lead pink slip. Better to have a clear and obvious enemy than a sickly, twisted bureaucracy that divides, traps, paralyzes and stalls any and all descent and rational debate.
I have found I have a very limited tolerance for cold. Not good.
Our cold season is getting worse even if it is short.
None of my outdoor sleep systems take this into consideration.
Looks like I have to fill another dry sack with the right sleep systems and clothing. The Landshark is very cold sensitive so it looks like I'll have to buy a decent dog coat with enough coverage so she's warm.
already having to up her calories because she's lost weight keeping herself warm.
Hot water bottles ate a low tech way of keeping warm. One shoved down at the feet and two or three up near the torso. Don't get me started on sitting in a kayak in winter trying to fish.

Layers, Tank-Girl. Dress in layers, and include layers in your sleep system. A few good wool blankets will go a long way. Wear a wool hat or balaclava to keep your head and neck warm. I am a huge proponent of hats and scarves. They make an enormous difference.

I don't envy your task of fishing in a kayak in winter. Long underwear and good wool socks. I am told pantyhose are a good insulator, although I have never tried it. IMHO layers is still the key.

Layers, Tank-Girl. Dress in layers, and include layers in your sleep system. A few good wool blankets will go a long way. Wear a wool hat or balaclava to keep your head and neck warm. I am a huge proponent of hats and scarves. They make an enormous difference.

I don't envy your task of fishing in a kayak in winter. Long underwear and good wool socks. I am told pantyhose are a good insulator, although I have never tried it. IMHO layers is still the key.
I'm looking at thick neoprene dive pants and booties for my bottom half, neoprene gloves, and layers and a Slimline safety vest for the top half. And pray like heck I don't fall in.

Prepping for the days I have to cut and run and hide from my own government and military until China decides to kick our door down. Good. Australia's dubious leadership needs a lead pink slip. Better to have a clear and obvious enemy than a sickly, twisted bureaucracy that divides, traps, paralyzes and stalls any and all descent and rational debate.
I have found I have a very limited tolerance for cold. Not good.
Our cold season is getting worse even if it is short.
None of my outdoor sleep systems take this into consideration.
Looks like I have to fill another dry sack with the right sleep systems and clothing. The Landshark is very cold sensitive so it looks like I'll have to buy a decent dog coat with enough coverage so she's warm.
already having to up her calories because she's lost weight keeping herself warm.
Hot water bottles ate a low tech way of keeping warm. One shoved down at the feet and two or three up near the torso. Don't get me started on sitting in a kayak in winter trying to fish.
Can I ask what dry sacks you use? Ours bit the dust & I've been looking for new ones. Currently have the sleeping bags all washed and rolled sitting in the house because I don't want them to get gross in the garage.
Also, heated bricks wrapped in a towel in the foot of the bed (& maybe one or two for LS) are good warmers. I agree w/ Morgan re. layers. It might sound odd, but a cloak seems warmer to me than many coats, but they are a bit more cumbersome to get around in.

Recently got a smaller generator to go in the trailer. We have a couple larger ones, but they aren't easily moved. This one is big enough to run the coffee pot and the fridge so should be just right for our little trailer.
Also, got a Big Bite, Lem meat slicer. I think we are for the most part pretty well set up for meat processing.

First 2 trays of sweet peppers I'm freezing for the winter. Have lots more growing and more buds on the plants. If I get too many I'll start dehydrating them
garden2021 003.JPG

garden2021 005.JPG

I did a store run bright and early this morning b/c I really dislike shopping this time of year with all the vacationers around. Traffic can be a PIA, but at 6am.....not so much. The constant chatter of the 'varient' has me concerned that they will lock everything down again and I wanted to get a haul in before that happens. I'm not masking up! I haven't had a hair cut since last year before this whole mess started, so it was time. Got that done. Although, I think hubs could have done a better job than the girl that cut mine. Grrrrr!!!

I stocked up on some canned soups that were on sale. Bought several bottles of hand sanitizer that were on clearance for .25 each. For that price, I figured I'd re-stock my shelves. I picked up some more supplements on BOGO sale. I stocked up on ranch packets, broth, beer, sugar free candies, baking supplies, mouse traps, snack foods, pork loin, bacon, and even fresh fruits and veges. At Aldi I picked up some TP, PT, paper plates, plastic ware, bottled water, and frozen foods.

I ran into a guy at WM who was complaining that he couldn't find coffee filters. Thankfully I don't need those. He said he's also heard that there is going to be a coffee shortage coming. I'm stocked to the rafters on that too, so I didn't pick up any more. I have no idea where he heard it from, but I always consider coffee to be a hot commodity and make sure I have lots.

I've got a couple of online orders I want to shore up too.....off to take care of everything.

I think the coffee thing is because Brazil has a drought going on but other countries grow coffee too so I don't know whats driving it really.
Probably the same people with the TP shortage rumor lol

Every time I go to the store I add extra of everything we eat on a regular basis.

The only traffic I hit at 6am are the people going to work

I noticed the stores seemed well stocked in pretty much every department. I even found ball lids! I bought 6 boxes (of 12) b/c that was the limit they had on them. They only had regular mouth lids and no large mouth. They also had a pallet of jars sitting there ready to go on the shelf. I bet they won't last long, but I didn't need any. Although, I didn't really need the lids either..... I also saw TP on sale with the TP shelves full. The canned soup section had taken a hit, but it was on sale and I didn't get there until mid-week, so that's not surprising. I really didn't need more soup either, but I bake and cook with soup so I thought I'd just grab another case to add to the pantry.

I ordered my propane conversion kit for the gennie. We always have propane tanks around and I wanted another way to power the generator. I'd use the gasoline first and then use the propane later since the propane won't ever go bad. Unless, it was cold outside, then I'd prefer the gasoline since the regulators can freeze if using propane when it's cold out. We rarely use the genies directly in the cold weather, so I doubt that will be much of an issue, but it's still good to know. I feel better knowing I can use the genie with either fuel source. More options are always better! Just waiting for it to arrive now.

Last edited:
I noticed the stores seemed well stocked in pretty much every department. I even found ball lids! I bought 6 boxes (of 12) b/c that was the limit they had on them. They only had regular mouth lids and no large mouth. They also had a pallet of jars sitting there ready to go on the shelf. I bet they won't last long, but I didn't need any. Although, I didn't really need the lids either..... I also saw TP on sale with the TP shelves full. The canned soup section had taken a hit, but it was on sale and I didn't get there until mid-week, so that's not surprising. I really didn't need more soup either, but I bake and cook with soup so I thought I'd just grab another case to add to the pantry.

I ordered my propane conversion kit for the gennie. We always have propane tanks around and I wanted another way to power the generator. I'd use the gas first and then use the propane later since the propane won't ever go bad. Unless, it was cold outside, then I'd prefer the gas since the regulators can freeze if using propane when it's cold out. We rarely use the genies directly in the cold weather, so I doubt that will be much of an issue, but it's still good to know. I feel better knowing I can use the gene with either fuel source. More options are always better! Just waiting for it to arrive now.
I haven't seen any lids around here in ages! Good find.

Looks like they hysterics are going to lock down my state AGAIN. Just as well I put in a big grocery pick up order.
Wasn't sure I was going to be able to fit all my freezer items in but I have a black belt in freezer tetris.
Prices have jumped a lot in the last two weeks. My favorite British sausage links were $9.50 per pack. Now they're $12.90.
1 kilo pack of kangaroo mince was $11 now it's $12. Plain white bread was $1.25 per loaf and now it's $1.40.
For the first time ever it's too cold for bean seeds to germinate. All they did was rot in the soil.
I've had to plant snow peas down the row because they cope with lower temps better.

Latest posts

Back