Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you tell me where you ordered your apricots from? I'm looking at getting apricots, chopped dates with rice flour, banana chips and chopped apples. I'm comparing prices at Bulk Foods and Country Life Natural Foods. Prices look similar except the chopped applies are about 50% higher at Bulk Foods and the shipping is higher at Country Life.
I'm not WVD, but have you looked at Azure Standard? I know they aren't everywhere, but I like them.

I've heard good things about Azure Standard. I just took a look at their site and their prices seem a bit higher except for the dates. Comparing Bulk and Country Life, the same order of diced apples, sulphered Turkish apricots, chopped dates with rice flour, banana chips and steel cut oats the food price at Bulk Foods is $103.61 with $5.00 shipping. The food price at Country Life is $72.00 with $23.46 for UPS ground shipping. The only difference in the orders is 5 lbs. of banana chips from Bulk but 4 lbs. from Country Life because of their packaging.

In the winter, I often cook steel cut oats overnight in the crockpot on low. Add some dried fruit, a little sugar and cinnamon, it's a real treat on a cold morning.

Added more canned veggies
canned fruit ( hubby's pineapple lol)
got the last small canned ham and picked up more roast beef and chicken. should've got more canned salmon but it slipped my mind.
bought more block cheese for vacuum sealing and freezing

edit to add I just ordered some more suppliments that we take

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Azure Standard. I just took a look at their site and their prices seem a bit higher except for the dates. Comparing Bulk and Country Life, the same order of diced apples, sulphered Turkish apricots, chopped dates with rice flour, banana chips and steel cut oats the food price at Bulk Foods is $103.61 with $5.00 shipping. The food price at Country Life is $72.00 with $23.46 for UPS ground shipping. The only difference in the orders is 5 lbs. of banana chips from Bulk but 4 lbs. from Country Life because of their packaging.

In the winter, I often cook steel cut oats overnight in the crockpot on low. Add some dried fruit, a little sugar and cinnamon, it's a real treat on a cold morning.
I've never heard of the other 2 sites you mentioned - will have to check them out. AS tries to cater to organic which I like, but yes it certainly does pay to know your prices.

Organized some more stuff in the barn. You can have all the 'stuff' you want, but if you can't find it when you need it, it doesn't do you much good. We certainly have more to do as it's an ongoing process, but we're making some good progress.

I made a trip this week and picked up some more things....
bacon
shrimp
case green beans
case of vienna sausages
4 gallons water for the ice maker
beer
2 - 100% proof vodka for tinctures
2 large cans pulled pork (didn't even know this was available in a can until I saw them)
3 large containers of spices (garlic salt, lawreys, steak seasoning)
large folding tables (for me and for Christmas gifts)
chili seasonings
case of chicken soup
20 containers of liquid soap on clearance for less than $2 for 56 oz.
a few more hand sanitizers on clearance for 25 cents.
tylenol PM's on sale
yeast
regular mouth lids (6)
TP and PT

Got part of the gas cans topped off. Will get the rest tomorrow or this weekend.

I placed my order with Country Life for the dried fruits. Two 2 lb. bags of banana chips and 5 lb. bags each of cranberries, chopped apples, apricots, chopped dates and steel cut oats.
I might place an order with Bulk Foods next month for a few more things. They have powdered molasses and I'm debating whether to get that or regular molasses. Has anybody tried the powder? I'm wondering if baking with it will make things kind of dry.

I have massively stocked up on spices and seasonings this last several months. just by adding several to each order. This week my Walmart has reduced the price of their Great Value 12 oz. cans of evaporated milk to 67 cents a can while it's been about 98 cents a can for the last few years. I'm stocking up on that this week, too.

I think there will always be some food available to replace what we're using but the question is what kind and how much. Like everybody else, I'm listening to the warnings about potential problems with delivery and production. In my mind, I'm working towards a September 1st deadline. My gut is telling me that anything could happen after that.

I've been stocking up on spices and herbs I can't grow also.
I just ordered more dried fruit, nuts and another 1lb of cinnamon. I use all of it a lot through the year.
I'm not only thinking of shipping problems but also the item not even being available or at a price I don't want to pay
I'm stocking the ingredients to make my own spice blends ( like taco seasoning,pumpkin pie spice,apple pie spice,etc)

I hadn't heard about powdered molasses either until I saw it on the Bulk Foods website. Seems like it would be really convenient for storing. I went ahead and ordered the liquid because it will probably be easier to use. I want it for cooking - baked beans, pumpkin bread - but also as a health aid. It's Really, Really good for you. I mostly want it for my arthritis and blood sugar. Supposedly even keeps your hair from turning grey.

I ordered the Slow As Molasses. I really like that it's packaged in individual quart jugs.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slow-As-Blackstrap-Molasses-32-oz-Pack-of-6
Found out that Walmart has the powdered, too.
Molasses Powder - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

These Health Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses May Surprise You - Farmers' Almanac (farmersalmanac.com)

I removed 2 sets of Plastic shelves that were holding my canning supplies and replaced them with metal wire shelves, I am short a set of casters that will allow me to roll 1 set of shelves with light stuff (pressure cooker, steamer, water bath, and canning tools, maybe some empty flats of jars on the bottom, it will let me put things into small corner pocket that was wasted space. I set up a new set of shelves at the entrance to my Store Area to make unloading and sorting groceries easier. I have 1 more set of shelves to set up but they will be used for paper goods, I'm about out of space for shelves. I have now created a shelf just for distilled water and have a place that holds 8 flats of bottled water that can be used in addition to the bulk storage.... Lots of moving and reorganizing....

Just finished an 8665 mile, 4 canadian territories 15 state, 7 week epic rv trip down to the states. A year in the planning, we had 2 funerals, 1 wedding, and a family reunion. My wife inherited a working treadle sewing machine, I picked up 2 old tube radios (just need to find someone in Ak that can work on them). Purchased a lot of ammo since the shelves are bare here in Ak. Ammo all over the place in the states. Made sure the grandkids went to Gettysburg again as well as a living history village and museum in upstate NY, Yellowstone and Devils Tower Wyoming. I told the kids they were going to learn stuff before we took them to Hershey Park:p. Amazing trip with machinery and people holding together well. Can't say once in a lifetime because we do so much with the grandkids you never know, but it will be awhile before we attempt something like this again and the kids may say no thanks.o_O

To continue on, we're heading to bol this weekend and a couple of the grandkids will be staying there for a week with me. A massive resupply trip this time and next. We do our best to maintain it as another home. It's pretty overgrown since I've been gone so long. I have my work cut out for me. Hopefully get some fishing in.

I dated and shelved things until 01:30 (got about half done), I had been picking up stuff at the grocery store each time I made a run and just put all the (Food storage) bags in a spare bedroom.... As I would grab a bag, date all the prepps, and then put them in their proper shelf; I began to realize that I was a victim of Normal Bias, as I was shopping I would see something and say we "Normally" need that, I'll get two.... If you repeat that every week for a couple of months you can end up with a little "extra"....... Heck, the canned meat that we don't normally use takes up 3 feet of new shelf space..... Thanks @Sourdough ;)

Other than eggs, milk, and fresh meat; I don't think I will need to go shopping again.... ever. Just joking, but it feels that way....

I put up 20kgs of white rice in a food grade garbage bin. I brought food grade drum liners and used one of those inside the bin so the rice isn't actually touching the inside. I mixed a liberal amount of diatomaceous earth through the rice to keep the bugs out. Tied the overhang of the bin liner in a loose knot, put the lid on and it now lived under one of my kitchen benches.
I would feel extremely comfortable even stacking these in my living room or bed room because in my world food storage comes before aesthetics.
As a matter of fact in my living room I currently have 6 100ltr garbage bins filled with corn, premium wheat and hulled oats and a stack of at least 12 boxes of mason jars filled with a range of meats and tomato products.
Just as well the 100ltr garbage bins have wheels because those suckers are heavy when they're full.

I put up 20kgs of white rice in a food grade garbage bin. I brought food grade drum liners and used one of those inside the bin so the rice isn't actually touching the inside. I mixed a liberal amount of diatomaceous earth through the rice to keep the bugs out. Tied the overhang of the bin liner in a loose knot, put the lid on and it now lived under one of my kitchen benches.
I would feel extremely comfortable even stacking these in my living room or bed room because in my world food storage comes before aesthetics.
As a matter of fact in my living room I currently have 6 100ltr garbage bins filled with corn, premium wheat and hulled oats and a stack of at least 12 boxes of mason jars filled with a range of meats and tomato products.
Just as well the 100ltr garbage bins have wheels because those suckers are heavy when they're full.
Nice. I’d say you do things right. And I’ve thought more than once, if I had to have neighbors, I’d like one just like you living behind me. I’d watch your back, and hopefully get similar respect.

I would, too, but you'd have to walk her dog, Tootsie. I'll throw him chew toys.
Landshark is female and she would love a chew toy for the few moments it would last.
Landshark can't be walked without a prong collar an a e-collar. She likes the idea of supplementing her diet with anything with a pulse.

Had to change plans for the week. River dropped below my comfort level having all the grandkids and a new 4 month old granddaughter, couldn't risk it. I have the boat to make that kind of run but having multiple boats trying to hit available channels was too dicey for me. Weather is supposed to be hot with no rain all week. Grandkids all went to my daughters house so all the cousins can still play for the week. All our purchases for the trip were solid, so into the pantry they go. Looks like wood splitting time. It's weird, but at the bol it's fun, here it's just work.:rolleyes:

Had to change plans for the week. River dropped below my comfort level having all the grandkids and a new 4 month old granddaughter, couldn't risk it. I have the boat to make that kind of run but having multiple boats trying to hit available channels was too dicey for me. Weather is supposed to be hot with no rain all week. Grandkids all went to my daughters house so all the cousins can still play for the week. All our purchases for the trip were solid, so into the pantry they go. Looks like wood splitting time. It's weird, but at the bol it's fun, here it's just work.:rolleyes:

It‘s amazing how much work our lifestyles require! Good thing we have 18 plus hours of daylight to help get stuff accomplished. But it beats the alternative lifestyles of today.

With all of the back to school sales, this is a good time to stock up on all those supplies that you also use at home like pens, paper, glue, rulers and so on. I always keep a supply of spiral notebooks, folders and map colors/crayolas handy. I have a couple of pairs of the little kids scissors near my sewing for snipping threads. This stuff is cheap, cheap, cheap this month.

In Texas, starting tomorrow is the Tax Free Weekend, Aug. 6-8. I don't know if other states do this or not but it's a good time for stocking up on prep items.

Latest posts

Back