Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last 4 evenings I have been cleaning and organizing. How can cleaning and organizing make such a mess? Everyplace that I wasn't cleaning is now all messed up....
I go through this too. I like to put things all in the same place by category and if I get too much and have to move things, then I sometimes don't remember what the heck I did with it. 🤪 Now I just try to keep everything in the same room or general vacinity even if I have to move it. I swear I could spend the rest of my days organizing stuff. Shelving units that you can see thru and transparent totes help a lot, as far as long term storage goes. However, just cleaning out a closet could take days to complete....and yes, the rest of the house always gets to be the holding area while you figure out if the stuff stays, goes, or is going to be relocated. Dang, now I feel like I need to go and clean out my closet. Although, I really don't want to.....I know there's clothes in there that need to just go buh-bye!

Just when I thought I was pretty much done for a while......
I ordered some more books (mostly plant/herbal)
Placed order for canned meat (and probably paid too much)
Topped off all but a couple of the fuel cans that were just emptied
Received all orders on electrolytes and put them away along with all the other stuff I got last week.
Got all bills and taxes paid and filled up the wallet with cash and maybe hit a garage sale or two tomorrow.
Bought 4 rolls of forever stamps before they go up at the end of the month.

I got my order of dried fruit from Country Life yesterday and it only took 6 days so I'm impressed with that. I actually wasn't expecting it for another week so it caught me by surprise. I need to clear off a shelf and get my jars ready to fill up. I haven't opened any of it to start sampling yet but it looks good.
For anybody wondering about where this stuff comes from they put the country of origin on the label.

Banana chips - Philippines
Diced apples - Argentina
Chopped dates - Pakistan
Apricots - Turkey
Cranberries - US
Steel cut oats - US and Canada

The banana chips are packaged in 2 lb. bags and I got two of those.

Attachments

• IMG_20210806_080455[1].jpg
    IMG_20210806_080455[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210806_080342[1].jpg
    IMG_20210806_080342[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Might sound petty, but I picked up one of those little camp stoves about the size of a tall coffee can. Figured it would be handy if we just want to light a quick little fire for heating water or cooking, etc. For a whoping $7, I thought it was worth it.

LL, are you talking about these little folding stoves with the fuel tablets? I've wondered just how good those are because sometimes that's all you need is a way to heat some water fast. Thanks for the idea. Think I'll get some of these for Xmas presents for the grandsons.

Coghlan'S Emergency Stove - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

LL, are you talking about these little folding stoves with the fuel tablets? I've wondered just how good those are because sometimes that's all you need is a way to heat some water fast. Thanks for the idea. Think I'll get some of these for Xmas presents for the grandsons.

Those stoves will work with sticks of wood too. Likely not real durable if used daily but for occasional use they are great.

Those little stoves are a lot like the little ones we used to heat C-Rations way back when, they can be great for a small meal or two. If I remember right the fuel pellets lasted just long enough to heat something up.... That might be great to have in a BOB, the stove and enough pellets to last about 9 meals....

I like the foldable variety, but the one I got is pretty much like a coffee can with holes and a little "platform" partway up to hold the fire. There are no pellets. It's sorta like this one~
1628277794457.png

My molasses order came in yesterday so I'm feeling pretty pleased. I now have what I need to make some mighty good fruit cakes to give out during the holidays ... and pumpkin bread ... and baked beans ... and molasses cookies! :dancing:
What is your source for molasses? Is it as good as blackstrap from the stores?

It's been years since I've used it but out of the jug this tastes like what I remember. Someone who uses it all the time might be able to tell a difference between the brands. I found this at Walmart and I like that it comes in 1 qt. size jugs.
Slow As Blackstrap Molasses, 32 oz (Pack of 6) - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

ETA; I read some of the reviews and one person said she tried to sweeten her tea with it and threw it out because it was so nasty that she wouldn't even give it to animals. I guess she thought it was a sweet syrup.

Thanks. Maybe i’ll Pick one up at the local store and try it before I order a quantity.
Funny, the other person’s comment about not giving it to the animals. I’d bet they’d love it. Our cows and ponies loved extra molasses on their food, and it’s good for them. I take it for the health benefits.

Yes. I can always tell when I don’t take it. Besides the iron, the potassium makes a difference, too. The bottle I have now is from Aldi’s. Good quality. A tablespoon a day works for me.
Having some energy and being able to function better may not seem like much of a prep thing to some, but the quality, not necessarily the quantity, of what we have to take care of ourselves can make a difference. I hope people consider the bigger picture with health and put away a range of nutritious food. I’ve heard of some stocking up on white rice and pasta. Yes, it’s food, but we need a lot more than that.

Last edited:
Yes. I can always tell when I don’t take it. Besides the iron, the potassium makes a difference, too. The bottle I have now is from Aldi’s. Good quality. A tablespoon a day works for me.
Having some energy and being able to function better may not seem like much of a prep thing to some, but the quality, not necessarily the quantity, of what we have to take care of ourselves can make a difference. I hope people consider the bigger picture with health and put away a range of nutritious food. I’ve heard of some stocking up on white rice and pasta. Yes, it’s food, but we need a lot more than that.
Well yes!

How about a 50 lbs bag of chocolate chips?

The challenge would be the brown sugar...

I wonder if sugar can be combined with molasses...

Ben

Of course it can. White sugar and molasses makes brown sugar. I have a little bit of brown sugar on hand, but alot of molasses to make some.
Don't make fun of 50 lbs of chocolate chips. I like my baking shelves storage, and granddaughters do, too. Not just plain ol choc chips, but there's choices: milk choc, dark choc, choc chunks, mint choc, butterscotch, multicolor unicorn, and also hershey kisses for that big chunk of chocolate.

My digital scale was shutting off as I was making soap - figured it was time to replace the battery. When I went to do so, it looks like the battery leaked so I'm cleaning it up and will still get a new battery (out of that little disc size.) But it got me to thinking, in SHTF scenario, if batteries weren't available. I have this scale (pix) that was my grandpa's as a backup, and I know how to use it. Just a thought for those trying to think of things that might be handy in the preps.
scale.jpg

I have one similar to your's and a kitchen scale with a large dial and a spring.

You'll need to clean out the area around the battery. I strongly recommend Corrosion Block. Youn can find it at your auto parts house or Amazon.

I have one similar to your's and a kitchen scale with a large dial and a spring.

You'll need to clean out the area around the battery. I strongly recommend Corrosion Block. You can find it at your auto parts house or Amazon.
I started to carefully clean it & realized it was just coconut oil from the soap making 😂 I was actually relieved by that. I replaced the bat. and it now works fine - and is finely greased to boot - haha.

Today the wife called me aside and asked a few questions:
How much AP flour do we have?
How much Bread flour?
How much sugar....?
How much brown sugar...?
... xxxx sugar...
Wild rice?
cooking chocolate?
cream of soups?
beef, chicken, veggy better than bullion base?
and the list went on and on, with her making a list of things I need to get this weekend....

Then she moved down the list:
When was the last time you started the generator?
How much fresh gas do you have for it...?
When was the last time you started the snow blower?

How much ice melt (salt) do you have, can you get more right now?

Then she switched back:
Do you have all the seeds you need for next year?
Have you ordered the small canning jars for the peppers,
When are you going to start canning your venison lunch meat?
How many buckets of wheat do we have? Can we make room for more? (To be honest I would rather make room for another 100 gallons of water)
Heck, I'm tired and I now have a list a mile long... But I think the wife and I are on a common wavelength.

Today, before our conversation:
I did order a few flats of small canning jars 4 and 8 oz for meat and peppers.
I also ordered a 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller...

This morning I did a online induction to get a fuel card at a contactless fuel wharf at the local marina.
I don't know how long it's going to take for the card get to me because I can't use the pumps without it.
Still the safety induction was a cake walk and this gives me another avenue to get fuel without checking in with a QR code. This makes 3 ways of getting fuel. Redundancy is important.
I need to replace all my seeds. It gets HOT here and it's bad for seed viability.
I've had 3 failed attempts at planting radishes and turnips in one row.
I'm blaming the seed.

Today the wife called me aside and asked a few questions:
How much AP flour do we have?
How much Bread flour?
How much sugar....?
How much brown sugar...?
... xxxx sugar...
Wild rice?
cooking chocolate?
cream of soups?
beef, chicken, veggy better than bullion base?
and the list went on and on, with her making a list of things I need to get this weekend....

Then she moved down the list:
When was the last time you started the generator?
How much fresh gas do you have for it...?
When was the last time you started the snow blower?

How much ice melt (salt) do you have, can you get more right now?

Then she switched back:
Do you have all the seeds you need for next year?
Have you ordered the small canning jars for the peppers,
When are you going to start canning your venison lunch meat?
How many buckets of wheat do we have? Can we make room for more? (To be honest I would rather make room for another 100 gallons of water)
Heck, I'm tired and I now have a list a mile long... But I think the wife and I are on a common wavelength.

Today, before our conversation:
I did order a few flats of small canning jars 4 and 8 oz for meat and peppers.
I also ordered a 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller...
Sounds to me like your conscious was talking to you 😅 (Sounds like you have a good wife!)

I won't be visiting the "How I Saved $ Today" thread :rolleyes:
Ran our numbers for July. Oh boy!
I purchased a meat slicer and a larger dehydrator as well as 2 extra trays for the existing dehydrator since I noticed 2 that are still usable but have cracks. Also spent a little more stocking up on a few food items. I talked to Hubby before the slicer and dehydrator. We are on the same page also which I think is a good thing.
Hubby goes through work jeans so was able to find 2 pair in his size. I would like to find a couple more pairs for each of us.
The other thing we did last month was "health upkeep". Had teeth cleaned etc. I went to chiropractor out of necessity. But wanted clean bill of health while health care is still available. My goal for the next month or two will be to preserve the harvest and to "clean house." By that I mean go through and verify/inventory things, get rid of or repair things that are broken, useless or otherwise not needed.

. . . My goal for the next month or two will be to preserve the harvest and to "clean house." By that I mean go through and verify/inventory things, get rid of or repair things that are broken, useless or otherwise not needed.

Me, too! I'm going through and pulling out things I don't use anymore to donate - like an electric skillet that I haven't used in 10 years. I'm also going through my quilt stash and UFOs. There are a lot of things I know I'm not going to finish so I'm sending them to people who do charity quilting. Every time I clear out a box, it feels like a weight off my shoulders.

Me, too! I'm going through and pulling out things I don't use anymore to donate - like an electric skillet that I haven't used in 10 years. I'm also going through my quilt stash and UFOs. There are a lot of things I know I'm not going to finish so I'm sending them to people who do charity quilting. Every time I clear out a box, it feels like a weight off my shoulders.
My electric skillet is the only way I'll fry chicken :)
Did you know you can bake in the darn things? I never knew that until I found a manual for it at a College Alumni booksale for 25 cents

Look at it this way, for every box you clear out its more room for preps 😄

Well the new shed is up. Just have to insulate the ceiling and then put up some recycled OSB to go behind the pallets of pellets and get the big door on. Its a pretty thing all new and stuff lol

new shed 001.JPG

I hear you about the cleaning out. Looking at several items around the house I thought, is that really worth keeping? or geez, I could really store more important things there. I took a big step and signed up for an auction in November. Little things may or may not bring much but it’s out of here and I can use the space much better.

Latest posts

Back