Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled a large tarp from my cache a few days ago. The four replacement tarps arrived today. They will replace the one I used. If I use something from my stash I try to replace it with more.

Ben
That is a good practice/habit to be in. It’s easy to remember that you have something but if you use it and don’t replace it then you no longer have it. Sounds so simple but how often does it happen?

Signed up for Defensive Pistol Level 2 class. Also started a subscription with Thrivelife freeze dried foods. We've used their products extensively and now we can push our preps to the next level. We've already doubled our water storage capability which is always the key prep.
So with Thrive Life freeze dried you get better prices and shipping if you sign up? Depends on your level and rate of prepping, for the price of four cases of beef chunks (also mixed with veggies) you could buy a freeze dryer.
I certainly agree with firearms classes, did a carbine class last year and it's finally warming up so I can do a pistol class this month. No amount of range time duplicates having someone observing and correcting and presenting proper methods.

This might sound like an odd one: I typically make my own soaps but when I need to do laundry and haven't made soap, well. . . I know many folks just buy laundry detergent. Hubby is allergic to it. I have recently been using soap nuts and magnesium pellets. A half pound of soap nuts (which is a lot!) does about 100 loads (ish) and 2 Mg packs does about 300 load before needing to be revitalized. These are easily stored and I've noticed that the clothes smell fresher. I will still make my own - have plenty of supplies but am appreciating the easy option also - and the fact that it can store long term.

This might sound like an odd one: I typically make my own soaps but when I need to do laundry and haven't made soap, well. . . I know many folks just buy laundry detergent. Hubby is allergic to it. I have recently been using soap nuts and magnesium pellets. A half pound of soap nuts (which is a lot!) does about 100 loads (ish) and 2 Mg packs does about 300 load before needing to be revitalized. These are easily stored and I've noticed that the clothes smell fresher. I will still make my own - have plenty of supplies but am appreciating the easy option also - and the fact that it can store long term.
I remember that you posted about ths before but could you share the recipe on how to do this and where you get your supplies? It's probably a whole lot easier on your septic system too. Not to mention that it's probably a lot healthier for you. I've been reading things lately that have pointed to detergents and clothing being another vector for cancer. I don't know if that's real or not, but why take the chance if you don't have to, right? Plus, it's just another step toward being self sufficient, which is always a good thing.

I remember that you posted about ths before but could you share the recipe on how to do this and where you get your supplies? It's probably a whole lot easier on your septic system too. Not to mention that it's probably a lot healthier for you. I've been reading things lately that have pointed to detergents and clothing being another vector for cancer. I don't know if that's real or not, but why take the chance if you don't have to, right? Plus, it's just another step toward being self sufficient, which is always a good thing.
So I put 6-8 soap nuts in one of those "lingerie bags" and two Mg pouches in on the clothes as I start the washer. I use white vinegar in the fabric softener receptacle on the washer. The soap nuts get "washed away" over time. I just add a couple more as they wear down so it's about the equivalent of 6-8 nuts. This method does not suds like detergent. I really like the fact that the laundry doesn't stink like chemical perfumes. Most people are nose blind. Once you get away from it, you notice how strong it really is. Also, with the vinegar rinse, your clothes will not smell like vinegar - it helps create a clean rinse. As I pull the laundry out of the wash, I pull the bag of soap nuts and Mg pouches and set them aside for the next load. I also really like that these items are "reusable" and that I don't have to fuss about it very often.
The soap nuts are available various places but here's my link:
https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/...ap-nuts/soap-nuts-organic/14334?package=NF711The Mg pellets, I got the two pouches as well as a package of bulk for future use. I really just wanted the pouches. Also, the Mg pellets can be revitalized with citric acid. Easy peasy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094QBB4ZH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detailsand
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KP3WG76?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
If any of this doesn't make sense, just holler.

@LadyLocust what is the mg for? And do you really get a rinse if the soap nuts stay in the rinse also? Or doesn’t that matter?
I don’t know the science behind it. Seems to be just fine and they look and feel cleaner using this method than with laundry soap.

I just looked at my Walmart site to get an order ready and looked at the eggs. Then I picked myself up and looked again. The case of 5 dozen eggs is marked at $8.24. I kid you not. I don't know if it's because my store had an excess built up since people weren't buying them last month or if it's all stores. Just thought I'd pass it along.

I quickly put together a small order and placed it to be delivered in the morning. I'm afraid they'll send me a message that they're already out of stock. I might just pickle a couple of dozen of them for my grandsons.

I did some homework on soap nuts. They leave NO residue so they can stay in the washer. They work great with vinegar, but don't do well in cold water!! Since they leave no residue, your clothes last longer! That's it, it's all I know!!😉
Bummer! I only use cold water to launder clothes:(
Thanks for the heads up on that Pearl.

CalicoKatie....chickens lay alot this time of year, so they really should be cheap right now. Plus I think when "they" are announcing food inflation numbers, certain products are followed on pricing. To get one of those prices down changes their overall number and makes food inflation look "better". So right now, eggs it is. I remember not long ago, a dz cheap eggs was 89 cents at Aldi, regular price. The highest I saw it was this winter, same eggs, same store, at
$5 a dz. But, that's how it goes with all of it. Eggs were $2.19 a dz at Aldi last week. So....inflate the price sky high, then come down half. Butter. My pet peeve. Was $1.89 a lb at Aldi not long ago. Now it's three something and everyone thinks it's such a deal. I think stores are hoping that people have a short memory. Grand sale today!!!!

My wife has always been marginally on board with prepping. For many years it was (insert eyeroll) Dad's hobby. Since Covid hit she seems to be much more aware, and almost interested. She asks questions: "Do we have this? Do we have that? Do we have enough of...?" The answer has always been yes to all of the above. Lately her gift giving (to me) has turned more toward prepping.

For my birthday she gave me a really good book NO GRID SURVIVAL PROJECTS HOW TO PRODUCE EVERYTHING YOU NEED ON YOUR PROPERTY. It is very complete, over 300 pages, and covers every topic imagineable. Even includes estimated costs, and degree of difficulty on some projects. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/GRID-Surviva...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413754812030&psc=1
For our anniversary she gave me an 8 in 1 Flashlight for the car and a huge jar of peanut butter powder, that will go into the deep larder. She didn't know that I already have peanut butter powder in our stores, but her thinking is going in the right direction.

Starting a brand new project for me...

IMG_6588 2.jpeg
IMG_6599.jpeg

I just picked up 2 more Coleman camp stoves for $5 each. I hadn't paid much attention to how many I had. I just counted 8 not including mine. I guess I should get them all cleaned up and working. Plus stocking up on more fuel. Something tells me these might make a great barter item.

This is one of those ridiculous things we don’t think about but last year when I needed a new little gasket for in the end of the hose, I got a whole ring of them (maybe a dozen). I used one today so remembered to share with y’all.
I keep several dozen of those on hand. I have to replace several in my drip system most every year.

And I hav trouble finding them when I need them. Are they in the garden shed? The shop? My canvas garden bag that holds my tools?
I have found that a series of nails along the wall or beams is a handy place to hang those useful little things. Little packages get lost in the clutter. Oops. did I say clutter? I meant, preps.

Dollar Store preps:
Mesh bags - the 2 larger sizes we use for gathering mushrooms in particular but tend to use them for other things as well. They are lingerie bags found with the clothes pins and ironing sorta stuff.
The small bags are in the party favors section of the wedding stuff. I use those for tying over seed heads of plants to gather seeds when I'm not home much.
IMG_5917.jpg

Latest posts

Back