Preps for fire and wind...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
How many folks here have removed trees and bushes that were close to their homes to limit fire exposure and wind damage potential?
I removed a maple that was about 30 feet from the house and a locust tree that was within 12 feet. I also removed the lilacs that were within 12 feet of the house. I now have a clear area, except for the raised beds, of about 100 feet around the house and out buildings. No threat of trees falling in wind storms or adding fuel to a wild fire that gets too close.

We've downed quite a lot of trees around the house.
The ash trees were all killed by the emerald ash borer, so they had to all come down.
There was a sycamore struck by lightning with a fairly impressive crack about 20 feet up - couldn't chance that.
We've had a couple other trees taken down, and we have a few more on the agenda (some are too tricky for us to do ourselves)
I've just become more aware of a need to have clearance around the house. I love the woods, but not around the house. Fortunately, dear hubby and I are on the same page about that.

Hey Sheepdog - I'll take the lillacs!! I can't get them to grow very well around here and I've really really tried!

We had our property select cut not long ago since the trees were dying off anyway. It was better to get paid for the trees and put them to use as opposed to just letting them rot. It will pay our property taxes for quite a few years. Plus we will get some nice shoots and seedlings popping up soon. Some of those old trees were close to the barn and we didn't want to take the chance of them caving in the roof. We do have some trees a bit closer to the house, but they are still healthy. We are reluctant to cut them b/c we need the shade in the summer, even if the trees leave a dirty film on the porches. :(

Hey Sheepdog - I'll take the lillacs!! I can't get them to grow very well around here and I've really really tried!

We had our property select cut not long ago since the trees were dying off anyway. It was better to get paid for the trees and put them to use as opposed to just letting them rot. It will pay our property taxes for quite a few years. Plus we will get some nice shoots and seedlings popping up soon. Some of those old trees were close to the barn and we didn't want to take the chance of them caving in the roof. We do have some trees a bit closer to the house, but they are still healthy. We are reluctant to cut them b/c we need the shade in the summer, even if the trees leave a dirty film on the porches. :(

Angie_nrs: If they are close enough to leave a "Dirty Film" on your porches, they are close enough to leave sparks and fire, once they catch. Shade is nice but your home is more valuable. JM2C

We have over 100 foot break between us and the woods but we do have trees around the house but they are small. We planted them so we can eventually get some shade but there is a break between them and the woods of greater than 100 feet. The trees around the house are pecan, walnut and 3 maples, we also have hazelnuts to close to the house. In front of the house we have hydrangeas across the front porch which is the length of the house. To our west is our orchard (well want to be orchard) I am hoping the trees will do better and start producing well soon, again they are a good ways from our home...beyond 100 feet.

Angie_nrs: If they are close enough to leave a "Dirty Film" on your porches, they are close enough to leave sparks and fire, once they catch. Shade is nice but your home is more valuable. JM2C

Yeah, I know. But we live in the woods, so any gust of wind and we're done for anyways if there was a fire around here. We have cut all the dead stuff out around the house so at least the trees are all green. Plus we do have a nice sized yard with only a few trees. Yeah, there's still the risk.....but that's what you get when you live in the woods.

Our fire department will come around if you invite them and give hints on how to make your property firewise.

We're not in a fire-prone area - people around here don't even think of it. But even if we don't have the big fires like our western brethren, there's always a risk. The other year our next door neighbor put his lawnmower in his barn - it must have had a leaf against the engine, or something, because it caught fire and burned down their barn. The barn was surrounded by woods - had it been an unusually dry autumn, that fire could have easily spread to our property (and others).

There are easy ways to get summer shade that doesn't involve trees or added fire risk. We have seen wind gusts that were above 100 mph and that will topple or break even the greenest of trees. Wild fire is a risk here but we have done a lot to restrict the danger of fire and wind. It's all part of our lifestyle of being prepared. Replacing the cedar shake roof with fiberglass composite was also a part of the preps. When we build our new home the roof will be copper or stainless steel and the sheathing will be two layers of Hardi board cement siding like I have on my garage and shop. That makes for a very fire resistant building.

How many folks here have removed trees and bushes that were close to their homes to limit fire exposure and wind damage potential?
I removed a maple that was about 30 feet from the house and a locust tree that was within 12 feet. I also removed the lilacs that were within 12 feet of the house. I now have a clear area, except for the raised beds, of about 100 feet around the house and out buildings. No threat of trees falling in wind storms or adding fuel to a wild fire that gets too close.
I had a big maple tree that was diseased and hollow. It had to come down. A few years back, a big snow storm would have taken it, into the neighbors roof, had I not had it taken down before then. Many homes were damaged in my area from trees that came down in that storm. I hired it done, and I am grateful that it is gone.

I have had several other trees removed from my property. I have planted trees that I thought would work for me and that I wanted in appropriate locations.

Latest posts

Back