Privacy

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 5249 We live back in the woods far enough back that the mailman won't deliver to our home. We have mailbox out on the county road. I came home today and the idiot that lives up the road had built this monstrosity with a camera on top filming the road. I don't have anything to hide but I really don't care to be filmed at the bus stop or anyone knowing my comings or goings. Is this ok or am I just being paranoid.

I don't know what the laws are where you live in regards to surveillance, consent, etc. and those laws vary from state to state. But I doubt there is an expectation of privacy on a public roadway. At the same time just because it is legal, does not make it right. I have surveillance cameras on my home, some hidden and some visible. I am sure to point them so they only cover my property and not my neighbors homes.

This is where I mention, for novelty purposes and scientific research, that a very bright high intensity laser can be used to "burn out" the camera without capturing your image or leaving any physical evidence. It also just so happens that some people attach such lasers to magnified optics so one can disable cameras from a distance.

With all the drones and other spy ware soon you will not have any privacy at all.
And yes it is legal. 30 years ago I took a private investigator course and this was discussed in detail. In that class in Atlanta there were also several Delta, Seals and a Ranger in my class. I still have my certificate in a frame beside Power Squadron certificate . These special forces guys 'mostly VNam vets' really had some stories to tell.Like throwing people out of heli's after they talked,etc.

You can only have an expectation of privacy when you are out of the view of the public. Inside your home, in a restroom, in a motel room or any enclosed space. The expectation of privacy is presumed but not assured.

Latest posts

Back