Privacy

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
58AB7E45-6B62-45C5-9588-280EFC0F0C47.jpeg
We live back in the woods far enough back that the mailman won't deliver to our home. We have mailbox out on the county road. I came home today and the idiot that lives up the road had built this monstrosity with a camera on top filming the road. I don't have anything to hide but I really don't care to be filmed at the bus stop or anyone knowing my comings or goings. Is this ok or am I just being paranoid.

Playing devil advocate. The neighbor may have been having some mail problem (mail theft) and so the camera. Now with that being said, I am sorry bout the neighbor being a nut case. I was going to suggest a talk with the neighbor but the episode of pulling a gun on kids is a no-go. I would check into the local laws and see what can be done. I would not like my coming and going recorded. I am not sure but I do think there is a law about taking picture of an individual and posting them on public forums without permission from the individual. You know the neighbors name, check FaceBook and see if he is posting your pictures. Just a suggestion.

Do Not confront this person. If anything happen to his camera rig, you would get blamed. IF it is a postal theft thing, he may be doing you a favor in trying to stop the thieves before they start on your mail box. JM2C

Whose land is that? Is it public property? I wonder if some government agency would come and make him take it down?

I value my privacy. I wouldn't want a camera pointing at any of my business. I also wonder if you could use that camera for target practice?

I have a nosy neighbor who would go stand out in her yard to watch what was going on at my house. I always point to my nose, to indicate she is being nosy. When I was getting a new furnace about 7 years ago, I told my furnace guy that she would come over and ask what he was doing and what it would cost. He looked at me like I was crazy. After he was done, he told me she had done that. He told me he thought I was crazy when I told him that.

Playing devil advocate. The neighbor may have been having some mail problem (mail theft) and so the camera. Now with that being said, I am sorry bout the neighbor being a nut case. I was going to suggest a talk with the neighbor but the episode of pulling a gun on kids is a no-go. I would check into the local laws and see what can be done. I would not like my coming and going recorded. I am not sure but I do think there is a law about taking picture of an individual and posting them on public forums without permission from the individual. You know the neighbors name, check FaceBook and see if he is posting your pictures. Just a suggestion.

Do Not confront this person. If anything happen to his camera rig, you would get blamed. IF it is a postal theft thing, he may be doing you a favor in trying to stop the thieves before they start on your mail box. JM2C

He's already pissed off at me, we have fought about his proposed Tree house resort. He started trying to build it without zoning and the county shut it down. I have been a developer my entire life and have to follow the rules he should as well. He won't put in a sewer system and doesn't have a forty foot easement required for a commercial development and expected the other neighbor and I just to give it to him.

Whose land is that? Is it public property? I wonder if some government agency would come and make him take it down?

I value my privacy. I wouldn't want a camera pointing at any of my business. I also wonder if you could use that camera for target practice?

I have a nosy neighbor who would go stand out in her yard to watch what was going on at my house. I always point to my nose, to indicate she is being nosy. When I was getting a new furnace about 7 years ago, I told my furnace guy that she would come over and ask what he was doing and what it would cost. He looked at me like I was crazy. After he was done, he told me she had done that. He told me he thought I was crazy when I told him that.

Its on the county road right-away.

I know it is legal to take pictures of anyone on public property. I don't know about video but I expect it too is legal.
What powers the camera? Batteries? Is it wifi? Many things could happen to that fragile tech stuff.
I'm not sure of the legality of building something on public property.

I'll play devil's advocate. Do you have a reasonable expectation of privacy when you're on a public road? I argue you do not. (That said, I do object to government using tax dollars to spy on people with countless highway and city cameras, but that's a topic for a different thread.)

If the person has had his mail messed with, then putting up a camera is pretty reasonable. Maybe he/she just wants to know when the mail has been delivered by keeping an eye on the mail truck? Personally, I'd have probably opted for less obvious trail cams rather than that mess.

Why does he want a camera in a public place? Is this legal for a private citizen to monitor the roads?

Perhaps so he can see if the mailman has delivered his mail?

Perhaps to rile up the neighborhood?

Perhaps he craves attention?

How is the camera powered?
Hard wired or wireless to the neighbors house (within range)?
Is the camera actually turned on?

Perhaps so he can see if the mailman has delivered his mail?

Perhaps to rile up the neighborhood?

Perhaps he craves attention?

How is the camera powered?
Hard wired or wireless to the neighbors house (within range)?
Is the camera actually turned on?

There are wires run to it.
Capture+_2018-03-13-10-38-36-1.png

Latest posts

Back