Pumpkin Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've been wanting to make some pumpkin bread and do not have a recipe that I have tried before. Had a great conversation about people loving all things pumpkin this morning, and several people said they were going to get pumpkin lattes. It occurred to me that some of you might have a favorite pumpkin bread recipe. I searched the forum and found this comment:

I have a pumpkin bread recipe- kinda like banana nut bread but with pumpkin- pretty good sliced and toasted and buttered. Let me know 🍂

Any other great pumpkin recipes out there? I did see @Amish Heart makes a pumpkin roll.

Anyone else have great pumpkin recipes?

I like to cut it in slices and fry it in bacon grease, then depending on my mood, salt, pepper and butter OR brown sugar and cinnamon.

My aunt makes a kind of potato patty with it with onion. just use it like you would in any tater cake recipe.

Mix it equally with boiled sweet potatoes, mix in some small marshmallows, cinnamon and brown sugar and a bit of molasses and put it in a cobbler style pie, then hit it with a scoop of ice cream.

Cut it into chunks, boil it in 2 quarts of chicken broth with 4 chicken breasts, carrots, onions, potatoes, cabbage and celery. you can do the same thing with pork, just pour 1/4 cup of bacon grease into boiling water instead of chicken broth.

take the seeds and wash and clean them, shake them in a plastic bag full of olive oil, place them in a flat baking pan, dust them lightly in salt and chili powder and a light drizzle of lime juice at around 200 degrees until toasted evenly.eat them like sunflower seeds.

Using a small, just turned pumpkin, gut it out, mix 3 bananas, an apple, raisins, and a cup of pineapple in your blender until its like relish, add marshmallows and spoon it into your pumpkin, top it in crushed walnuts and slow bake it about as long as a pie at 150 degrees, when you see the pumpkin start to wilt, turn the heat off and let sit in the oven until cool and serve with vanilla ice cream in top, the hull makes for the bowl so less clean up later!

Oil fry thin slices of pumpkin with sweet potatoes and bananas, dust with brown sugar and cinnamon.

No pumpkin bread recipes here yet, but overnight I was thinking that I would do a test. I'll do what @LadyLocust said. I'm going to take my banana bread recipe, a family recipe for many decades, and instead of adding bananas, I'll add a can of pumpkin (15 ounce can).

1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I use butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
6 Tablespoons sour milk (can be made with a little vinegar added to regular milk)
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
3 ripe bananas, mashed
Chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add vanilla, eggs and sour milk. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Mix dry ingredients into moist ingredients. Add the bananas and nuts. Pour batter into bread pans which have been greased and floured. Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the bread.

I have a lot of pumpkins to use up too and started today. Well, yesterday. I baked the halves in the oven for about an hour and scooped out the inside for pumpkin puree which I made in the blender

Made pumpkin pasta for lunch and pumpkin roll for dessert
pasta was really good if anyone wants the recipe I will type it up

pumpkin roll recipe came from Allrecipe but I changed it a little, haven't tried it , sitting in the fridge right now

I sell pumpkin bread at the farmers market , here is my recipe
2 cups of sugar
2/3 cup shortening ( do not use anything else, it won't turn out)
2 cups of pumpkin puree ( or 1 16 oz canned pumpkin)
4 eggs
4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp each ground cinnamon and gloves
2/3 cup of chopped walnuts if you want

makes 2 loaves , bake at 345 for about 50 minutes to an hour

So here's a good one. I just call them Pumpkin Scones. Anyone who likes pumpkin and has tried them seems to like them (or they lie well. ;))
IMG_5024.jpg

PS - Sorry it took me a bit @Weedygarden I've been on the go. It's actually not the one I spoke of above. I will try to dig that one out and get it uploaded soon. (Maybe don't be holding your breath just in case it's a day or two.)

So here's a good one. I just call them Pumpkin Scones. Anyone who likes pumpkin and has tried them seems to like them (or they lie well. ;))
View attachment 96659
PS - Sorry it took me a bit @Weedygarden I've been on the go. It's actually not the one I spoke of above. I will try to dig that one out and get it uploaded soon. (Maybe don't be holding your breath just in case it's a day or two.)
Thank you!

Shiitake, Brussel Sprout and Wild Rice Stuffed
Sugar Pumpkin
Halloween is the perfect time to bake a stuffed pumpkin. Empty nesters such as ourselves have traded carving faces on pumpkins for stuffing them with mushrooms, nuts, wild rice and cranberries instead. And it feels good to pack the pantry with these local foods. Wild Rice is 30% lower in calories and 40% higher in protein than brown rice, and is grown in the state of Wisconsin, as are cranberries and shiitake mushrooms, not to mention the cache of brussel sprouts and pie pumpkins available at our local farmers market. Does this healthy super food combo justify the raiding of our adult childrens’ trick or treat supplies for afters? Wooooooo,YES!

This delicious filling can be made ahead and even frozen for fillings or gratins, and the pumpkins can be prebaked several days ahead. In fact, you will probably have some filling left over and it keeps well. Use the smallest pie (sugar) pumpkins you can find, or stuff one average small pie pumpkin and increase the baking time to make sure the stuffing is well heated through and melt the cheese. Eliminate the cheese to make a fine vegan dish.

We used Shiitake mushrooms for this dish but any mushroom will do nicely. We recommend a stronger flavored mushroom because the wild rice flavor is actually quite assertive and it is nice to give the mushrooms center stage.

The inspiration for this recipe came from halfbakedharvest.com. Thank you!

Ingredients:
4 small sugar (pie) pumpkins or 1 medium (or 6-8 mini pumpkins)
1 ¼ c wild rice
2 ½ c water (yields 3-4 cups of cooked rice)
¾ tsp coarse salt
Salt, pepper and oil for seasoning the pumpkin and filling
¾ lb. brussel sprouts, shredded
2 -4 c sliced Shiitake mushrooms (the larger amount of mushrooms only increases the delectability of the dish for mushroom lovers)
1 large onion, chopped
4 T oil for roasting
1 c raw pecans
¼ c cider
2 T each fresh thyme
1 c dried cranberries
Optional: 6 oz of a melting cheese such as fontina, monterey jack, manchego or asiago fresco, chopped into tiny cubes or shredded

Preparation:
Prep the pumpkins by scooping out the filling and seeds. Pat dry and rub oil, salt and pepper over and inside the pumpkins. Bake until tender at 400°F 15-20 minutes. Let cool. Tip the pumpkins to drain of any excess water.

Make the rice: In a 2 qt sauce pan, bring the water and salt to a boil, add the rice, bring back to a boil, put on the lid and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 35-45 minutes.

Roast the vegetables: Chop or shred with the brussel sprouts and mushrooms with slicing attachment on a food processor. Tip into a wide bowl and add the onion and chopped thyme. Drizzle with 4 T olive oil or amount to well-coat the vegetables, and season with salt and pepper. Spread onto rimmed baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally at 375°F until vegetables become lightly caramelized (about 10-15 minutes).

Stir in chopped pecans and cider, return to oven for 5 more minutes.

Remove from oven and add 3-4 c cooked wild rice. Add cubed cheese if desired.

Scoop into pumpkin shells, replace pumpkin lids and bake on an oiled roasting pan or wide casserole dish until cheese is melted and filling is hot. Slice into wedges and drizzle with sauce below, if desired.

Maple Cream Vinaigrette Sauce, for drizzling:
Combine:
3 T olive oil
¼ t paprika
1T half and half
1 smashed clove of garlic
1 T maple syrup
1 T orange juice and 1 T apple cider vinegar (or combination)

Whisk or blend to combine all ingredients (we recommend doubling up on the sauce recipe!)

Each small sugar pumpkin serves 2.
Copyright © 2022 Field and Forest Products Inc.,

i will be making pumpkin bars out of these 2 on the porch...already pureed the large white pumpkin...froze that...the bar recipe is online...cream cheese icing...i will copy yours for the bread...oh...i can use the pumpkin just like sweet potato casserole recipe too

i will be making pumpkin bars out of these 2 on the porch...already pureed the large white pumpkin...froze that...the bar recipe is online...cream cheese icing...i will copy yours for the bread...oh...i can use the pumpkin just like sweet potato casserole recipe too
We have made both, but any winter squash/pumpkin can be interchanged for sweet potatoes or potatoes for squash.
Do not tell anyone & see if anyone notice that you changed the recipe.

We have made both, but any winter squash/pumpkin can be interchanged for sweet potatoes or potatoes for squash.
Do not tell anyone & see if anyone notice that you changed the recipe.
since it's just me and paw...nobody notices...it gets shoveled into our mouths so fast..ha!

https://thesoccermomblog.com/pumpkin-oatmeal-cookies/

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with Cinnamon Icing​

• 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 2 1/3 cups flour
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup sweet cream unsalted butter (melted)
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon molasses
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs

Cinnamon Icing Ingredients​

• 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 4 Tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
To Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mats. Set aside.

How to Make Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies​

Stir together oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.

In a separate bowl, add the butter, pumpkin puree, sugar, molasses, and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Add eggs one by one, whisking as you go, until batter is smooth.

Slowly begin to fold the dry ingredients into your bowl of wet ingredients, stirring until well combined. Your batter should be thick and easy to form into balls.

If you have a medium cookie scoop, this makes it easy to portion out the dough. If rolling into balls by hand, you’ll want to use about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of dough per cookie dough ball.

Place the balls of dough onto your prepared cookie sheet. Gently press them down in the middle, just a tad. You don’t need to flatten them.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, rotating cookie sheets at the halfway mark. When the cookies are done they will start to turn golden brown.

Remove from oven and allow too cool on the baking sheet for about five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling while you make the frosting.

Icing Directions​

Whisk the powdered sugar, cinnamon, water and vanilla together in a small mixing bowl until you have a smooth glaze.

Take each pumpkin oatmeal cookie and place face-down in the bowl of glaze, so that the top is coated. Flip right-side-up and place on the cooling rack again so the glaze can set.

Repeat with each cookie. While frosting is still wet, sprinkle all of the cookies with cinnamon.

Prep Tips​

• To make sure your cookies aren’t mushy, I recommend blotting excess moisture from the canned pumpkin with a paper towel. If your pumpkin puree looks thick already, you may not need to do this step.
  • If you like, you can use 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon and nutmeg. Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice, and ground ginger. This will add a little depth of flavor and extra “oomph” to the cookies.
  • Try adding mix-ins! Butterscotch chips or white chocolate chips would be delicious! If you like nuts, you could add chopped pecans or walnuts.

How Do You Store Oatmeal Cookies?​

Your iced pumpkin oatmeal cookies will last up to a week in an airtight container at room temperature. Because they are made with pumpkin, they may be a little more moist than regular oatmeal cookies. You can also keep them in the fridge to prevent molding if you live in a particularly hot or humid climate.

Can You Freeze Oatmeal Cookies?​

Sure! Freeze oatmeal cookies by by individually wrapping each cookie and then placing inside a gallon size freezer bag. They’ll last for up to 2 months in the freezer.

Can I Skip the Glaze?​

Why would you want to do that??

I kid, I kid. But yes, you can omit the glaze for a slightly less sweet cookie.

Why Are My Cookies Too Soft?​

These are thick cakey cookies, so it is normal for them to be soft in texture. However, if they are falling apart, it’s possible that they might have too much liquid in the batter resulting in too much moisture in the finished cookies. This can be caused by the pumpkin puree that you used. If the puree or canned pumpkin looks like it has extra liquid, use paper towels to soak that up before mixing into the batter.

I have a similar recipie from an older lady I who is gone now. Her cookies have raisins in them. She lost her eyesight so I went to her house and made her cookies that she gave as gifts. It was fun getting in the kitchen with her and I got three great cookie recipes out of it!! Thanks Weedy, that recipie brought back a great memory!!

I tried once with a pumpkin I got for Holloween when in college. It looked like bread, cut like bread, felt like bread and tasted like Playdough. 🤢

The following recipe was included in the Royal Neighbors of America 2001 Recipe Book.​

Pumpkin Pie Cake​

Ingredients:
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 cup brown sugar
1 large can pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. cloves
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ stick margarine
Nuts
Whipped topping
Instructions:
Sprinkle ½ yellow cake mix in 9×13 inch pan. Mix together all other ingredients except the remainder of cake mix, margarine, nuts, and whipped topping. Pour pumpkin mixture gently over the cake. Sprinkle remainder of cake mix over the pumpkin. Melt margarine and drizzle over the top. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at temperature indicated on cake mix (approximately one hour). When cool, serve with whipped topping.

Tiny Shiny made this recipe and posted it for this morning. Sounds like a keeper.

Apple Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake

2 Granny Smith Apples Chopped with lemon juice
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
3/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
1/2 Cup Melted Butter
3 Teaspoons Vanilla
2 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
3 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger

Preheat Oven to 350

Chop apples, add lemon juice and set aside.

In a new bowl, mix sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add eggs and pumpkin, stir In the apple bowl add dry ingredients and stir. Then combine wet and dry ingredients and stir. Pour batter into greased 8” pan. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar. Bake for 45 minutes or until done. Drizzle caramel on top and enjoy!

1696914254036.jpeg

(I’m crossposting this from my Tumblr sideblog, since I literally just posted it today and then discovered this thread afterwards.)

Now is a great time of year to stock up on pumpkins and winter squash. They’re everywhere, they’re inexpensive, and did I mention that they’re absolutely beautiful? Who could ask for more?

There’s more!

Winter squash — Cinderella and pie pumpkins, kuri, delicata, butternut, buttercup, acorn, kabocha, turban — are all edible, and excellent keepers. You can store them at room temperature, and use them for pretty decorations all through the fall and winter season, choosing one or two to eat as the mood strikes.

This bounty of squash should carry myself and my husband through most of fall and winter, even eating it weekly.

Be absolutely thorough about checking your squash before you buy it for any bumps, bruises, scratches, nicks, or dings. Dirt is fine, it washes off, and sealed scratches are okay. Fresh scratches may or may not heal up and your squash may rot. If you're planning to cook it within a week, a scratch or two is probably okay, but not if you're planning to use them over the course of several months.

The easiest way to prep most winter squash (excepting the gigantic pumpkins) is to cut off the stem and the base if necessary so that the squash will sit flat, then split it in half from top to bottom. Scrape out the seeds with a large metal spoon or ice-cream scoop, and scrape out as much of the stringy goop as you can manage. Typically, at this point, I will oil the squash’s interior with olive oil (use whatever oil you like, roasted walnut or pecan oil is terrific) and sprinkle with seasonings (pie spices are great, but chipotle can be fun, as can sage or poultry seasonings), and roast at 350°F / 175°C until a paring knife will penetrate the skin and flesh easily. That’ll take about 45 minutes for most squashes.

You can roast the seeds of any winter squash as an additional snack, once you clean them up. More about that in another post.

Some notes:
Delicata: Capsule-shaped, yellow striped with green, sometimes blushed orange. It has a unique and delightful squash-sweet corn flavor. The skin is thin and can be left on. In my experience, delicata is the shortest-lasting of the bunch. Eat them first.

Kuri: Top-shaped and a gorgeous burnt-orange color. Kuri squash has a sweet, rich flavor. Again, one of the squashes that has good skin for eating.

Butternut: Columnar neck, with a bulb on the bottom, tan skin with orange flesh. One of the most accessible squashes — widely available and inexpensive, as well as delicious. Many of the so-called “pumpkin pie” canned fillings are actually made of butternut squash. It keeps very well and for a long time — four to five months — as long as you’re meticulous about choosing squash with undamaged skin. It’s also one of the easiest to peel. For dishes where you want peeled squash, choose butternut and use only the neck, and cook the bulb another time. Butternut skin tends to be tough, so you'll probably want to avoid eating it.

Buttercup: Deep green with a small, light green "cup" on the bottom. Delicious. Doesn't seem to hold as well as some of the others -- use it sooner rather than later. The skin on these is soft and fine for eating.

Acorn: Acorn-shaped, heavily ridged. Colors can range from green to orange. They do come in white, but white squash are usually pretty bland. Thin-skinned, so you can eat the whole thing comfortably. Great for soups and stews -- just clean it out and chop it into bits to throw into your soup. More of a savory squash than a sweet one. Conventional wisdom is that they're shorter keepers, but I've found that they keep very well for me, and have held them successfully for up to four months.

Kabocha: A deep-green flattened sphere. Sometimes they've got a smattering of orange. It's fine to leave the skin on these, and you've probably seen it left on in your tempura. Kabocha is more floury, less squishy when cooked, and reminds me a bit of sweet potato. Also one of the shorter keepers; try to get to it within a couple months of purchase.

Turban: Festively multi-colored in splattered white, orange, yellow, and green. Turban squash has a large "cap" on a smaller, three- or four-lobed base. It has notes of chestnut; it's not as sweet as some of the others but it's definitely distinctive. I'm also of the opinion that turban squash makes the best roasted squash seeds, even better than pumpkin. They are large and wonderfully crunchy when roasted. Turban skin tends to be tougher.

Cinderella pumpkin: Yes, those huge and heavy ribbed pumpkins are edible and quite tasty. They come in all kinds of colors. I find that the traditional peach-to-orange ones usually taste the best. Because they are so large and dense, you may want to roast them whole, then cut them open and scrape out the seeds and strings afterwards. They will take a while. They can also be quite watery, so after you roast them, you may want to drain the liquid out of them, if you're doing pies or custards or other things that want a drier texture. You can use the liquid in soups or in your oatmeal. Pumpkin skin is generally too tough to be pleasant to eat.

Pie pumpkin: Typically a lighter orange than your traditional jack o' lantern pumpkin. A pie pumpkin should be fairly small but not tiny, and heavy for its size. Any pumpkin that is light for its size is mostly cavity and not meat. Pie pumpkins are sweet for pumpkins, but I find they're generally not quite as sweet as butternut squash or kuri.

Speaking of sweet:
Not pictured here, because they are gigantic and typically sold in pieces, if you can find them at all these days, are banana squash. If you have the opportunity to purchase a piece of banana squash, treat it just like any other squash -- season it up and roast it. Banana squash is delicious.

No bake pumpkin pie.
1 large can of pumpkin
1 package of Graham crackers, finely crushed.
1/4 cup of brown sugar.
2 cups of the small marshmallows.
Mix well and microwave until the marshmallows melt.
top with maple syrup and chill overnight.
Top with Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream when serving.

I love, love baked winter type squash.. Turban and butter nut seem the most common..
Unfortunately, to me many pumpkin products are spoiled by being way too sweet, and or over powered with clove, nut meg, cinnamon.. All good flavors in moderation..
My favorite being the cheap lost leader grocery store bakery pumpkin pies.. Minimal cost, minimal spices and the best flavor to me.. Enjoy..

Pumpkin Pancakes

From the Pioneer Woman
https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a40900656/pumpkin-pancakes-recipe/
YIELDS :4 - 6 serving(s)
PREP TIME: 10 mins
TOTAL TIME: 25 mins

Ingredients​

• 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 1/2 c. buttermilk
  • 1/4 c. whole milk
  • 3/4 c. pumpkin puree
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 c. butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus more for the griddle and serving
  • Maple syrup, for serving

Directions​

1. Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl.
    2. In another medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, milk, pumpkin puree, eggs, and vanilla. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, along with 1/4 cup of the melted butter. Stir the batter until just combined with some small lumps remaining.
    3. Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add a pat of butter to grease the surface. Using a 1/3 cup measure, pour the batter onto the pan, spacing the pancakes about 2 inches apart. Let cook, undisturbed, until bubbles appear on the surface and the edges are dry, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the pancakes; let cook about 2 minutes more, until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
    4. Repeat with the remaining batter, preparing the cooking surface with butter in between batches, and adjusting the heat as needed. Top a stack of pancakes with pats of butter and drizzle with maple syrup just before serving.

Pumpkin Bars
From Pioneer Woman
https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a44156838/pumpkin-bars-recipe/
YIELDS:12 - 16 serving(s)
PREP TIME: 10 mins
TOTAL TIME :2 hrs

Ingredients​

FOR THE BARS:​

• 1 1/2 c. unsweetened pumpkin puree
  • 3/4 c. vegetable oil
  • 2/3 c. packed light brown sugar
  • 2/3 c. granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • Baking spray with flour

FOR THE SPICED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:​

• 1 (8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 5 c. powdered sugar

Directions​

1. For the bars: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, oil, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well combined. Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring until just combined.
  3. Spray a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with baking spray with flour. Pour the batter into the pan; smooth with a spatula.
  4. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan.
  5. For the spiced cream cheese frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese over medium speed until smooth. Add the butter, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice and beat until well combined and creamy. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
  6. To assemble: Spread the spiced cream cheese frosting on top of the cake. Cut into squares and serve. Keep leftovers in the fridge, as the frosting will get soft.

Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients​

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup oil
1 cup pumpkin
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Instructions​

Mix the sugar, eggs, oil and pumpkin in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients and water in the order given. Mix well. Stir in nuts and raisins if desired.
Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350° for 1 hour or longer if needed. To test doneness put a knife in the center of the bread. If it comes out clean it is finished. Serve with Honey Butter. Makes 1 loaf.

Last edited:
From the link Tim Horton posted, here is a pumpkin soup recipe. It could be a meal in a SHTF situation with a loaf of bread.
https://the1940sexperiment.com/2009/10/12/wartime-pumpkin-soup/

OCTOBER 12, 2009 BY CAROLYN

Wartime Pumpkin Soup​

ALWAYS make pumpkin soup with the smaller, non carving variety! I had stocked up on some honey crisp apples (for pies) and some sugar pie pumpkins and butternut squash for soups from www.indiangardenfarms.net
The pumpkin soup I made today nearly stopped me following through with our thanksgiving meal it was so delicious..
PS: Pumpkin soup WW2 Canada and USA.
Wartime Pumpkin Soup
  • 2lbs pumpkin
  • 1 onion
  • 1 oz margarine
  • salt and pepper
  • milk
  • 1 litre of vegetable stock
Method
Cut open pumpkin and scoop out seeds and stringy insides
Slice and chop into medium/large chunks
Place on baking tray and dot butter or margerine over the top (if you had garlic in your cupboard you can add 1 or 2 whole cloves to roast on tray too)
Roast for 45 minutes or so, turning over once or twice (oven moderate/hot about 22o c )
Meanwhile chop onion, place 1 oz margarine into large saucepan and cook onions gently until soft
When pumpkin has roasted remove skin and place pumpkin pieces into saucepan (and cloves of garlic if available)
Add vegetable stock
Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally
Place all the contents of saucepan into a liquidizer (or rub through a sieve like they did in the old days!) and pulse until a thick puree is achieved
Put puree back into saucepan, add lots of salt and pepper to taste and reheat adding milk to achieve desired consistancy
(if you are wanting to store soup then put it into containers straight from the liquidizer. Just add seasoning and milk when you come to use it)
Makes about 8 bowls.

Latest posts

Back