Pumpkin Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Weedygarden Here is the one I was talking about initially - enjoy 😋
View attachment 97368
I typed up this recipe and will share it so anyone can copy and paste it if they so desire. It will be easier for me to read it and print it out this way. I also saved it as a PDF.

Lady Locust's Pumpkin Nut Bread Recipe

1 ¾ cups sugar

¾ cups butter

4 eggs

1 can (15 ounces) unseasoned pumpkin puree

¾ cup milk

3 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ cups chopped pecans

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1 tablespoon baking powder

Makes 2 large or 6 small loaves
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 4 1/4 by 8 ¾ inch loaf pans or six 5 ¼ by 3 ½ inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
  • Cream sugar and butter until smooth. Add eggs; beat until light and fluffy. Add pumpkin puree and milk.
  • Combine flour, pecans, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add flour mixture. Stir just until flour mixture is moistened.
  • Divide batter between prepared pans, smoothing tops. Bake large loaves for 55 to 60 minutes, or smaller loaves for 45 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pans. Turn onto wire rack; cool completely.

Attachments

• Pumpkin Nut Bread.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 117479

(I’m crossposting this from my Tumblr sideblog, since I literally just posted it today and then discovered this thread afterwards.)

Now is a great time of year to stock up on pumpkins and winter squash. They’re everywhere, they’re inexpensive, and did I mention that they’re absolutely beautiful? Who could ask for more?

There’s more!

Winter squash — Cinderella and pie pumpkins, kuri, delicata, butternut, buttercup, acorn, kabocha, turban — are all edible, and excellent keepers. You can store them at room temperature, and use them for pretty decorations all through the fall and winter season, choosing one or two to eat as the mood strikes.

This bounty of squash should carry myself and my husband through most of fall and winter, even eating it weekly.

Be absolutely thorough about checking your squash before you buy it for any bumps, bruises, scratches, nicks, or dings. Dirt is fine, it washes off, and sealed scratches are okay. Fresh scratches may or may not heal up and your squash may rot. If you're planning to cook it within a week, a scratch or two is probably okay, but not if you're planning to use them over the course of several months.

The easiest way to prep most winter squash (excepting the gigantic pumpkins) is to cut off the stem and the base if necessary so that the squash will sit flat, then split it in half from top to bottom. Scrape out the seeds with a large metal spoon or ice-cream scoop, and scrape out as much of the stringy goop as you can manage. Typically, at this point, I will oil the squash’s interior with olive oil (use whatever oil you like, roasted walnut or pecan oil is terrific) and sprinkle with seasonings (pie spices are great, but chipotle can be fun, as can sage or poultry seasonings), and roast at 350°F / 175°C until a paring knife will penetrate the skin and flesh easily. That’ll take about 45 minutes for most squashes.

You can roast the seeds of any winter squash as an additional snack, once you clean them up. More about that in another post.

Some notes:
Delicata: Capsule-shaped, yellow striped with green, sometimes blushed orange. It has a unique and delightful squash-sweet corn flavor. The skin is thin and can be left on. In my experience, delicata is the shortest-lasting of the bunch. Eat them first.

Kuri: Top-shaped and a gorgeous burnt-orange color. Kuri squash has a sweet, rich flavor. Again, one of the squashes that has good skin for eating.

Butternut: Columnar neck, with a bulb on the bottom, tan skin with orange flesh. One of the most accessible squashes — widely available and inexpensive, as well as delicious. Many of the so-called “pumpkin pie” canned fillings are actually made of butternut squash. It keeps very well and for a long time — four to five months — as long as you’re meticulous about choosing squash with undamaged skin. It’s also one of the easiest to peel. For dishes where you want peeled squash, choose butternut and use only the neck, and cook the bulb another time. Butternut skin tends to be tough, so you'll probably want to avoid eating it.

Buttercup: Deep green with a small, light green "cup" on the bottom. Delicious. Doesn't seem to hold as well as some of the others -- use it sooner rather than later. The skin on these is soft and fine for eating.

Acorn: Acorn-shaped, heavily ridged. Colors can range from green to orange. They do come in white, but white squash are usually pretty bland. Thin-skinned, so you can eat the whole thing comfortably. Great for soups and stews -- just clean it out and chop it into bits to throw into your soup. More of a savory squash than a sweet one. Conventional wisdom is that they're shorter keepers, but I've found that they keep very well for me, and have held them successfully for up to four months.

Kabocha: A deep-green flattened sphere. Sometimes they've got a smattering of orange. It's fine to leave the skin on these, and you've probably seen it left on in your tempura. Kabocha is more floury, less squishy when cooked, and reminds me a bit of sweet potato. Also one of the shorter keepers; try to get to it within a couple months of purchase.

Turban: Festively multi-colored in splattered white, orange, yellow, and green. Turban squash has a large "cap" on a smaller, three- or four-lobed base. It has notes of chestnut; it's not as sweet as some of the others but it's definitely distinctive. I'm also of the opinion that turban squash makes the best roasted squash seeds, even better than pumpkin. They are large and wonderfully crunchy when roasted. Turban skin tends to be tougher.

Cinderella pumpkin: Yes, those huge and heavy ribbed pumpkins are edible and quite tasty. They come in all kinds of colors. I find that the traditional peach-to-orange ones usually taste the best. Because they are so large and dense, you may want to roast them whole, then cut them open and scrape out the seeds and strings afterwards. They will take a while. They can also be quite watery, so after you roast them, you may want to drain the liquid out of them, if you're doing pies or custards or other things that want a drier texture. You can use the liquid in soups or in your oatmeal. Pumpkin skin is generally too tough to be pleasant to eat.

Pie pumpkin: Typically a lighter orange than your traditional jack o' lantern pumpkin. A pie pumpkin should be fairly small but not tiny, and heavy for its size. Any pumpkin that is light for its size is mostly cavity and not meat. Pie pumpkins are sweet for pumpkins, but I find they're generally not quite as sweet as butternut squash or kuri.

Speaking of sweet:
Not pictured here, because they are gigantic and typically sold in pieces, if you can find them at all these days, are banana squash. If you have the opportunity to purchase a piece of banana squash, treat it just like any other squash -- season it up and roast it. Banana squash is delicious.
I really like this, the evaluation of different pumpkins and squashes. Thank you for sharing!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article...news,fall,pumpkins,seasons,dishes & beverages
Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Pancakes

Ingredients​

Pancake batter:
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown or coconut sugar
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon swirl:
  • 4 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon of pancake batter
Maple glaze:
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions​

Step 1: Mix dry ingredients​

First, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl.

Step 2: Mix wet ingredients​

Next, whisk together pumpkin puree, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl.

Step 3: Combine wet and dry ingredients​

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon. Make sure the ingredients are fully mixed.

Step 4: Prep the cinnamon swirls​

Mix softened butter, sugar, cinnamon and a tablespoon of the pancake batter in a small bowl. Move this mixture to a small plastic baggie and cut a tiny corner of the bag off. This bag will be used to create the cinnamon roll swirls in the pancakes.

Step 5: Pour batter onto a hot skillet​

Set a large skillet or griddle over medium heat; drop in a pat of butter. From there, pour pancake batter to create each pancake and then maneuver the small bag to create cinnamon swirls. It should lightly push into the batter, not just rest on the surface.

Step 6: Flip!​

When bubbles appear, it’s time to flip that pancake. Cook for around a minute or until golden.

Just add maple syrup and you’ve got an unforgettable fall breakfast!

Pumpkin seeds! I've made them several times, but have never hung onto a particular recipe.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13768/roasted-pumpkin-seeds/

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds​

Here is a super easy recipe for roasting fresh pumpkin seeds that come out perfectly every time.
Recipe by Rosemary

Updated on September 29, 2023
Tested by Allrecipes Test Kitchen
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
Servings: 6
Yield: 1 1/2 cups roasted pumpkin seeds

Pumpkin Seeds
The most laborious part of roasting pumpkin seeds is prepping them. You first have to separate the seeds from the gooey mess inside of the pumpkin. Fortunately, we've got a few tricks up our sleeves for making this process as painless as possible:

1. Scoop the seeds. First, use a strong metal spoon to scoop as many of the seeds out of the pumpkin as you can. Be sure not to let the pulp dry before cleaning the seeds.
  2. Soak the seeds. Place the mass of seeds and pulp in a large bowl. Run water over them and use your hands to swish the seeds around, removing any noticeable bits of pumpkin. The flesh will separately more easily from the seeds this way. Drain off excess water.
  3. Rinse the seeds. Place the clean seeds in a colander and rinse until any remaining flesh is gone.
  4. Optional: Boil the seeds. Simmer the clean seeds in salty water for 10 minutes. (See below for why you should do this).
  5. Dry the seeds. Drain the boiled/cleaned seeds in a colander and use a towel to dry the seeds as thoroughly as possible to ensure they get nice and crispy when baked.

Should You Boil Pumpkin Seeds Before Roasting?​

Although you don't have to boil the pumpkin seeds before roasting, we recommend it. Boiling pumpkin seeds in salted water helps the salt to permeate the seeds inside the shells and helps them to cook more evenly.

How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds​

Once your seeds are prepped and ready to go, it's time to roast! You'll find ingredient measurements below, but here are the basic steps:
  1. Toss the clean, dry seeds in butter (or oil) and seasonings.
  2. Arrange the sheets on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake until golden brown.
Tips:
  • For less mess, line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • You can roast the seeds of any winter squash, not just pumpkin.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/gluten-free-pumpkin-bars/print/

Gluten Free Pumpkin Bars​

Ingredients​

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • FROSTING:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions​

• 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin, maple syrup and vanilla. Combine flours, pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
  • 2. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
  • 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt; beat until smooth. Spread over top. Refrigerate leftovers.

Pumpkin soup: AKA harvest stew.
2 cups of cubed pumpkin.
2 cups of cubed squash.
2 carrots cubed.
1 yam, cubed.
1 potato cubed.
1 cup of celery, finely diced.
1/4 cup of onion.
2 small chili peppers diced.
Combine in a 2-gallon stew pot with one chicken cut into chunks with the fat and skin left on. add water up to 1" above the chicken. simmer until done, stir often.

Seasonings:
Poultry seasoning.
black pepper.
Salt.
A bit of brown sugar (optional. It gives the meat a sweet BBQ taste.) Try a small batch to see if you like it.
1/4 cup of real cream.

I need to try this with corn, it needs corn in it!

I made this pumpkin soup.
https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/pumpkin-soup/
The ingredients are listed toward the bottom but here they are:
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion
1 tsp sage (I used sage powder, so I reduced the amount of what is called for fresh)
1 tsp pumpkin spice (I used all spice)
4 cups chicken broth
30 oz pumpkin (I used canned)
.5 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
I also sprinkled some nutmeg and pepper on top for flavor.

Hubby and I and the kid tried it. We all liked it OK, but it was a bit bland. The next time I will add in some garlic (probably a half tablespoon of the stuff in the frig), add more salt, and bacon. Bacon sprinkled on top makes everything better! Hubby commented that it looked a bit like what would go in a gerber jar. LOL!

This recipe is very similar to the one Weedy posted from the war time thread. I didn't have any fresh pumpkin to bake for the soup but I had some cans I wanted to use up, so I gave this one a try. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. But with the tweeks I'd do the next time, hopefully it would bump up to a 5.

ETA: I might have to try this pudding recipe next. I don't have ginger snaps, so I'll probably use graham crackers instead, but I'll bet it would be delish! I love pudding.
https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/pumpkin-pudding/

Last edited:
My family didn't eat a lot of pumpkins... i usually pass on the pie. Love fried squash in summer though. These pics are from a couple years ago at a produce stand I still shop at. I like to see their pumpkin selection each fall, make a point to stop by, get my pumpkin fix for the year. 😁

a Gourds sep20 a  (4).JPG
a Gourds sep20 a  (6).JPG
a Gourds sep20 a  (8).jpg
a Gourds sep20 a  (9) sm.JPG

Last edited:
This recipe is very similar to the one Weedy posted from the war time thread. I didn't have any fresh pumpkin to bake for the soup but I had some cans I wanted to use up, so I gave this one a try. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. But with the tweeks I'd do the next time, hopefully it would bump up to a 5.
I had already forgotten about that recipe!

I was at Costco twice last week and saw their pumpkin pies. They are large pies. You can cut them into 8 pieces and still get large pieces. I didn't buy one, but I wanted to!

Two kinds of fried Pumpkin:
Logwoodsman style:
Cut the pumpkin into strips about 1/8" thick.
Fry in fresh bacon grease with a thin slice of onion.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Snacker style:
Caramelize two tablespoons of brown sugar, a large pinch of salt and a large sprinkle Of Nutmeg in butter and slow-fry strips of pumpkin until done, serve in stacks with vanilla ice cream.

When we had a sizeable number of small livestock, we would gather left over Halloween pumpkins.. Slice thin slices and dry for rabbits.. In the far north porch Jack-O-Lanterns had always been frozen at least once.. The frozen ones got fed to the chickens.. Some non frozen ones got cubed and canned in chicken feed.. Even our donkey liked some..

Not my recipe, but sounds interesting.

https://theharrissisters.blogspot.com/2012/11/pasta-with-creamy-pumpkin-sauce.html

Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce​

So this is one of the FIRST pumpkin dishes that I make every fall season (and it doesn't have a hint of pumpkin spice to it). It's a savory pumpkin pasta dish with a creamy pasta sauce that's just delicious.

Now, I love all things pumpkin spice as much as the next girl, but the special thing about this particular comfort food is that the kids love it because you are serving them a creamy, cheesy pasta dish. Moms love it because you have successfully incorporated a really healthy vegetable into that dish (and if you didn't want to tell them that you did it, well, you really wouldn't have to).

The pumpkin in this dish is not an overwhelming pumpkin flavor at all. It just adds fiber, vitamins A and E, and some antioxidants - which since the beginning of fall is also the beginning of cold and flu season, makes this recipe a go-to mom favorite!
The cheeses and the pumpkin blend together well with the nutmeg, and you can add as much heat as you want with the red pepper! And as an added bonus, you can make the whole dish in about 30 minutes or less. What's not to love about that?

Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce​

16 oz. rigatoni or penne pasta
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 stick butter
1 cup milk
1 cup pumpkin puree*
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
ground nutmeg to taste
  1. Cook pasta to package directions.
  2. While pasta is cooking, place cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, butter, and milk in a large saucepan. Cook on low heat until cream cheese is melted, stirring frequently. Add pumpkin* and spices. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add sauce to pasta and toss lightly. Serve topped with additional nutmeg or Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Note: if you DID take it upon yourself to make your own pumpkin puree, of course this will be frozen and you will need to thaw it before making the recipe.

https://www.southernliving.com/pumpkin-banana-bread-7973864?print

Pumpkin Banana Bread​

A quick bread that is the best of both worlds.
By Amber Love Bond

Published on October 21, 2023
Active Time:

10 mins
Total Time:

1 hr 5 mins

Ingredients​

• Cooking spray
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, from about 3 medium
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (4 oz.) butter, softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Directions​

1. Prepare oven and loaf pan:​

Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9- × 5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.

2. Combine wet ingredients:​

In large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
    Once creamy, add in eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin; beat until smooth.

3. Combine dry ingredients:​

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

4. Combine wet and dry ingredients:​

Once mixed, add flour mixture to sugar mixture slowly until fully combined.

5. Add bananas:​

Next, fold in bananas (and nuts or chocolate chips, if using) carefully, without overmixing.

6. Add batter to pan:​

Pour batter into prepared pan.

7. Bake bread:​

Bake in preheated oven 65 to 75 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. If needed, you can cover with tented foil to prevent over browning. Cool in pan 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling rack to cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container.

https://www.thecookierookie.com/wprm_print/37196I'd leave out the biscoff cookies

PUMPKIN ICE CREAM RECIPE​

This homemade pumpkin ice cream recipe is the best of the best. What could be better than combining the best summer dessert with the best fall flavor?

EQUIPMENT​

INGREDIENTS​

• 2 cups heavy cream 454 grams
  • 1 cup whole milk 227 grams
  • 14 ounces nonfat sweetened condensed milk 396 grams (1 can)
  • 8 ounces pumpkin puree 227 grams (about ½ can)
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice 9 grams
  • 4-6 Biscoff cookies 50-75 grams, crumbled

INSTRUCTIONS​

• In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients except the cookie crumbles. Stir until well combined.
    2 cups heavy cream,1 cup whole milk,14 ounces nonfat sweetened condensed milk,8 ounces pumpkin puree,1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
  • Pour into your frozen ice cream maker bowl and turn on. Add the cookie crumbles and allow the machine to stir in the crumbles.
    4-6 Biscoff cookies
  • Allow to freeze within the machine for 30-45 minutes, or until the ice cream is a soft-serve consistency.
  • Pour into a freezer-safe container and cover. Chill for at least 2-4 hours (or preferably overnight) for a firmer texture. Keep frozen until ready to eat.

NOTES​

• Use heavy cream (not half-and-half) and whole milk (not 2%, 1%, or skim)!
  • Make sure to use nonfat/fat-free sweetened condensed milk. Adding too much fat to the recipe will make the ice cream oily.

• Chill the ice cream paddle, container (if applicable), and storage container well to help the ice cream firm up more quickly.

• Chill the ice cream for less time for a softer consistency or more time for a more solid consistency.
Storage: Store homemade pumpkin ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.

NUTRITION​

Serving: 1cup | Calories: 773kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 338mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 71g | Vitamin A: 10925IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 543mg | Iron: 1mg

https://www.southernliving.com/pumpkin-bundt-cake-8358157

Pumpkin Bundt Cake​

This recipe from my late grandmother's recipe box is one I make every holiday season.
By Molly Bolton

Published on October 29, 2023
Active Time: 15 mins
Bake Time: 55 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins

Ingredients​

Pumpkin Cake:
  • Baking spray with flour
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp. ground allspice
  • 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
Maple Glaze:
  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Chopped walnuts, for garnish (optional)

Directions​

1. Prepare oven and Bundt pan:​

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 10- to 12-cup Bundt pan with baking spray with flour. Assemble your ingredients.

2. Whisk together dry ingredients:​

Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and baking powder to the bowl and whisk to combine.

3. Mix cake batter:​

In a separate large bowl, beat the vegetable oil and sugar together until fully combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, making sure that each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla.

4. Finish batter:​

Beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, alternate adding the dry ingredients and pumpkin puree to the batter, mixing on low speed after each addition just until the ingredients are incorporated. Be careful not to overmix.

5. Bake the cake:​

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Firmly tap the pan on the countertop a few times to release any air bubbles.
    Bake 55 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester or wooden skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.

6. Prepare Maple Glaze:​

Place the butter, maple syrup, ground cinnamon and kosher salt in a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the butter is melted. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Allow to cool for 2 to 4 minutes, until slightly thickened.
    Spoon the warm glaze over the cooled cake. If the glaze starts to set in the pan before drizzling over the cake, simply place the pan back on the heat for a few seconds and whisk until smooth). Garnish with chopped walnuts, if desired.

I just got a new one from "Granny" down the road.
1 cup of boiled pumpkin
1 cup of boiled yams.
1 snack-sized box of raisins (half a cup?)
1 teaspoon of brown sugar.
1/4 cup of tiny marshmallows.
a small splash of spiced rum.
Mix well and make a fried pie, IT WILL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!

I just got a new one from "Granny" down the road.
1 cup of boiled pumpkin
1 cup of boiled yams.
1 snack-sized box of raisins (half a cup?)
1 teaspoon of brown sugar.
1/4 cup of tiny marshmallows.
a small splash of spiced rum.
Mix well and make a fried pie, IT WILL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!
I know you talk about fried pies once in a while. I don't think I've ever had one. Put the filling in a serving size piece of dough, crimp the edges and then deep fry it?

This is a zucchini bread recipe that I make monthly, substituting pumpkin for the zuke when I want a change:

3 c. flour
1 tsp each - salt, baking soda, baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon (I also add in allspice, nutmeg and sometimes clove)
Mix together all dry ingredients

3 eggs
1 c. oil
2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 tsp vanilla
Mix together all wet ingredients. Combine with dry ingredients. Mix in zucchini or pumpkin, including any water that is with them, and 1 c. nuts or raisins. Bake in bread pans at 325* for 40-60 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack. Makes 2 loaves.

I use pumpkin or zucchini that has been frozen. They break down better in the baking and also provide extra water that this recipe needs, so don't pour it off.

This is a zucchini bread recipe that I make monthly, substituting pumpkin for the zuke when I want a change:

3 c. flour
1 tsp each - salt, baking soda, baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon (I also add in allspice, nutmeg and sometimes clove)
Mix together all dry ingredients

3 eggs
1 c. oil
2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 tsp vanilla
Mix together all wet ingredients. Combine with dry ingredients. Mix in zucchini or pumpkin, including any water that is with them, and 1 c. nuts or raisins. Bake in bread pans at 325* for 40-60 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack. Makes 2 loaves.

I use pumpkin or zucchini that has been frozen. They break down better in the baking and also provide extra water that this recipe needs, so don't pour it off.
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum! Head over to new member introductions and tell us a little about yourself!🙂

Latest posts

Back