Question, Nevada - how to make money?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winter time can be wild all along the northern area of Nevada, we drove to Utah in the middle of winter and stopping for fuel at Elko it felt like the skin of my face was being blasted off with the cold wind, if we lived in that area, I'd bury a quonset house under a whole lot of earth and sod. I've met people out on the desert in those areas that make enough out of finding gold to get by, there are many abandoned mining sites that still have a lot of gold, it wasn't enough to keep their operations going, but I've seen some very large nuggets taken from so called run out places, even places walked over thousands of times, simply because most people didn't have the patience do walk slowly and listen to their detectors. I've seen 1 to 26 ounce nuggets, the biggest I found was a 1/4 troy ounce. My wife couldn't take desert living but if I spent enough time out there, I'm sure I'd find enough gold to take care of everything. One guy I met out there found a 10 pound nugget, because he always had nuggets in his pocket is the reason I bought a Fisher Goldbug 2, the two times I was out on the desert using it I found at least 100 small nuggets each time and the longest time we spent on the desert was 6 weeks, that's the time I found the 1/4 ounce nugget. This is just my few pennies worth of info, others may not do so well as it actually took me about a week to tune myself into the detector to get to know little variations of tones that indicate a find and to also slow down my sweeps to overlap each sweep.

I has back out and return land. I only lost 30% of fund on land. The reason I back out. They say I cant build anything until paid off first. I'm not going hold the land while paying. I expect to get building goings. Also They say I cant build outdoor must be spetic.

I has back out and return land. I only lost 30% of fund on land. The reason I back out. They say I cant build anything until paid off first. I'm not going hold the land while paying. I expect to get building goings. Also They say I cant build outdoor must be spetic.

What sort of contract did you have on the land? Contract for deed?

Those types of leasons stick with you and may good in the end. It did for me.

About 15 years ago my son was delivering pizza and learned the owner was interested in selling the place.

Long story made short...

We did not understand the importance of marketing.

After loosing about$100K we gave away the buisness to a freind of my brother.

Ben

Those types of leasons stick with you and may good in the end. It did for me.

About 15 years ago my son was delivering pizza and learned the owner was interested in selling the place.

Long story made short...

We did not understand the importance of marketing.

After loosing about$100K we gave away the buisness to a freind of my brother.

Ben
Just realized I left out the best of the story!

After giving away the pizza shop my son went to work with Pizza Hut met a smart cute waitress that was studying to be a nurse assistant.

I now have two granddaughters as a result which are definitely worth the$100K investment.

:peace:

Ben

After reading all comments from you guys, I felt like Nevada is bad news. I back out. Now I'm searching for another land minimum of 10 acres but would be nice if 40 acres. Also, I'm looking for unrestricted and owner finance Nevada Land, I have some restrict like, I cant build outdoor. It must be septic. I can live in RV or tent on the property limit 28 days after that, go away! It must be a house. I must get a permit to build the house and limit the timeframe to 180 days. I don't want a limited time frame. I was a plan to start out with an old military tent for few months maybe years before start building a house. My friend living in a military tent for 6 years in Azorina. I have been hunting land in Azorina as far as no luck.

Maybe you guys know where to find good land? I tried ranchflip, nann, watchland and few sites

The desert is difficult unless you know what you're getting in to.

I would agree with that! Maybe not impossible, but challenging for sure.

Our son and his wife live in the Phoenix area. Love it in the wintertime, summertime is HOT. And it's expensive, even well out from the city. We bought our few acres with a house, garage, barn and pond for $150k in '18. Couldn't touch anything similar in AZ that's even 1.5 hours drive from son's house for under $350k to $400k, and that's IF you can find it, and IF you can get an offer accepted without an extra $50k to $100k on top of the asking price. It's crazy.

For now, we're stickin' with rural Tennessee.

I would agree with that! Maybe not impossible, but challenging for sure.

Our son and his wife live in the Phoenix area. Love it in the wintertime, summertime is HOT. And it's expensive, even well out from the city. We bought our few acres with a house, garage, barn, and pond for $150k in '18. Couldn't touch anything similar in AZ that's even 1.5 hours drive from son's house for under $350k to $400k, and that's IF you can find it, and IF you can get an offer accepted without an extra $50k to $100k on top of the asking price. It's crazy.

For now, we're stickin' with rural Tennessee.
I just saw land in Cochise County, AZ. 20 acres on Tyler Miles Rd Pearce, AZ. They want 40k for it. They want 20k front up to down then 3 years to pay off debt. They say no HOA (I would never buy anything from POA or HOA) No Restriction Great view. Power next door, Water is not deep (how deep? it didn't say) Just off Hwy 191 & 181. Coordinates: 31.87380491966, -109.688396707 Taxes 2018 $500.

Look a good deal but I can't just do down 10k. Also, they won't provide a picture of the land. draw map nothing more. Something fishy. So I chose to not go forward with this property.

You say you stick with Tennesse. I still think about getting Tenn or Kentucky. It's a balance between Freeze State as Michigan or Hot as Flordia. Just my issue is the price.

I just saw land in Cochise County, AZ. 20 acres on Tyler Miles Rd Pearce, AZ. They want 40k for it. They want 20k front up to down then 3 years to pay off debt. They say no HOA (I would never buy anything from POA or HOA) No Restriction Great view. Power next door, Water is not deep (how deep? it didn't say) Just off Hwy 191 & 181. Coordinates: 31.87380491966, -109.688396707 Taxes 2018 $500.

Look a good deal but I can't just do down 10k. Also, they won't provide a picture of the land. draw map nothing more. Something fishy. So I chose to not go forward with this property.

You say you stick with Tennesse. I still think about getting Tenn or Kentucky. It's a balance between Freeze State as Michigan or Hot as Flordia. Just my issue is the price.
So, what's wrong with Mississippi?
Not too hot, not too cold, everything grows there, and clean water under every foot of it.
Plenty of good hunting and pine trees to sell. You don't have to live in a desert.
And how much do you hear about them on the news?
Not a single word.
Plenty of people live good happy lives there.
Restrictions?

Well you can only have one moonshine-still on your land ;).
So, build a big one:thumbs:.

I don't wanna rain on your parade, but I did see something not to far away that may at least be a concern. There seems to be some agriculture going on, and that means they have water. But there seems to be some question about just how deep one has to go for water. I'll let you decide if it's anything to worry about...

https://www.azcentral.com/in-depth/...t-change-groundwater-rules-failed/2357906001/

So, what's wrong with Mississippi?

My wife and I did that for a while. We had a little place outside of Philadelphia, Mississippi. Gardens can be challenging if you plan on doing them directly in the ground (clay) but hey, raised beds seem to work really well there. Yup, the climate is warmer, depending on how close to the Gulf you wanna be. And out there where we were, they didn't much care what we did with limited exceptions. We parked an RV on our land and lived in that for a couple of years. Nobody bothered us. We did put in a septic system, and that did require a state inspection. It was really no big deal.

In our case, we moved because of racial tensions that were perhaps peculiar to that particular place on the map. There were numerous other places in Mississippi where the land was cheap and nobody was gonna mess with ya much. We looked at a few places around Poplarville, and even Picayune before Hurricane Katrina. (We lived just south of Picayune, MS in Louisiana at the time.) After Katrina, it seemed like "Metro New Orleans" kinda moved north and Picayune seemed like it wasn't the sleepy little town like it had been anymore. Still, a person could do worse, but I'd have wanted a bit farther out if we'd stayed in the area.

Parts of FL, AL, GA, MS, LA, and TX may be worth checkin' out if you like it a bit warmer. There is some decent land to be had where you wouldn't have a lot of concern over water, a long growing season, good hunting and fishing, stuff like that. There may even be a job to be had depending on where you're looking. Lots of areas with not much, but companies scattered here and there that actually offer decent money, some bigger than you might think. Had a sister-in-law that worked at Lockheed Martin, kinda out in the middle of nowhere, lower Alabama. I think there's a Hyundai plant not that far away from there, too. There is stuff around.

Just a thought and a kind warning, try to get land that has high ground, in case of flooding and often hilly areas often may have springs. We live on a shelf, probably around 30' above our lower field, I built a gravity spring fed system, the spring is roughly 460' from the northwest corner of our property, I buried 1" schedule 40 pvc from the spring to the cistern at the top of our property, all with about an 1/8" fall per foot so that there would be no pooling in the pipe that would cause it to freeze, we have had temps down to -5 degrees over the years we've lived here and if it ever got that cold again, it's possible that the depth of freeze could reach down to that pipe line as it is not all that deep in some areas. Always, always ask about water availability, I've come to realize that having water is probably the most important thing you can have on property.

I don't wanna rain on your parade, but I did see something not to far away that may at least be a concern. There seems to be some agriculture going on, and that means they have water. But there seems to be some question about just how deep one has to go for water. I'll let you decide if it's anything to worry about...

https://www.azcentral.com/in-depth/...t-change-groundwater-rules-failed/2357906001/
Yep. No water = no fun.
12" of rainwater in a year? :oops: We have had 12" of rain in 3 days before!
@viking said it best:
... Always, always ask about water availability, I've come to realize that having water is probably the most important thing you can have on property.

I back out from buying Nevada after reading your post. I already lost some money. They refund 70% of what I paid for. Since Nov 2020 I start paying. Better than 3 or 4 years. Right now I'm still hunting for good land. I might post from time to time show what they offer and hope to get good suggestion from you guys

I would think that owning a vehicle such as an RV or van that you could live out of would be one way to survive.

I'm trying to understand why this area appeals to you. Is it the prices? Is there something about the location? Is it the sparse population? Arizona and Nevada both seem to be places where eeking out a living would be almost impossible.

Last edited:
I would think that owning a vehicle such as an RV or van that you could live out of would be one way to survive.

I'm trying to understand why this area appeals to you. Is it the prices? Is there something about the location? Is the sparse population? Arizona and Nevada both seem to be places where eeking out a living would be almost impossible.
I'm looking for a place to live. I could not afford an apartment or house to rent with my budget. They are insane price. But I notice buy land is cheaper than paying the rent of a house and/or apartment in long term. In my area, the cheapest apartment costs 2,800 a month. I only make 1,400 a month. If I even find a roommate. Still badly enough for internet, electricity, water, food, gas, and stuff I need... I lost job thank to COVID. I used to own a house. I lost everything. I'm not looking forward to paying too much to get all them back again. After I read and watch many youtube about living off the grid. start from nothing with a seriously limited budget could have a happy life. That something I want to do. A week ago I lost my favorite sports equipment Paramotor. To pay off debt. At this moment I'm debt-free but the only car I have 2 more years to pay off. At this moment I'm living with an aunt who willing to let me stay for free. in return, I help her around whatever she needs. My cousin's laziness won't do anything for her mother. But she already in her 70's That means... anytime I could become homeless overnight. So I was hoping I could get start pay on land while she's still alive. I just need to find a good and right one.

I have seen many properties that says "Recreational Property," I asked the dealer what do it mean. They didn't respond back. But I notice "Recreational Property" is cheaper than land for sale. I have those guts feels says don't buy it. They will never let you build a house there.

Nothing, I just never thought of. I'll look up that one too
There are many people in Mississippi that are very good at living off of 'nothing'.
If you have no job, they can show you how easily you can get free food (EBT card), and free spending money (welfare). Any money you make off of the land is in cash and never appears as "income".
Cheap electric power is abundant there. As is plenty of good water.
They do quite well.
Somebody selling catfish for cash? They can't prove if they were caught out of a river or raised in a pond.
Any produce sold at a farmer's market is always in cash.
Almost every crop will grow there, and wood/lumber is abundant.
The sky is the limit.
(well, there is that one pesky law about selling any moonshine you made):(

I'm looking for a place to live. I could not afford an apartment or house to rent with my budget. They are insane price. But I notice buy land is cheaper than paying the rent of a house and/or apartment in long term. In my area, the cheapest apartment costs 2,800 a month. I only make 1,400 a month. If I even find a roommate. Still badly enough for internet, electricity, water, food, gas, and stuff I need... I lost job thank to COVID. I used to own a house. I lost everything. I'm not looking forward to paying too much to get all them back again. After I read and watch many youtube about living off the grid. start from nothing with a seriously limited budget could have a happy life. That something I want to do. A week ago I lost my favorite sports equipment Paramotor. To pay off debt. At this moment I'm debt-free but the only car I have 2 more years to pay off. At this moment I'm living with an aunt who willing to let me stay for free. in return, I help her around whatever she needs. My cousin's laziness won't do anything for her mother. But she already in her 70's That means... anytime I could become homeless overnight. So I was hoping I could get start pay on land while she's still alive. I just need to find a good and right one.

I have seen many properties that says "Recreational Property," I asked the dealer what do it mean. They didn't respond back. But I notice "Recreational Property" is cheaper than land for sale. I have those guts feels says don't buy it. They will never let you build a house there.
Mist of the time recreational property means you are not getting in or out in the winter.

There are many people in Mississippi that are very good at living off of 'nothing'.
If you have no job, they can show you how easily you can get free food (EBT card), and free spending money (welfare). Any money you make off of the land is in cash and never appears as "income".
Cheap electric power is abundant there. As is plenty of good water.
They do quite well.
Somebody selling catfish for cash? They can't prove if they were caught out of a river or raised in a pond.
Any produce sold at a farmer's market is always in cash.
Almost every crop will grow there, and wood/lumber is abundant.
The sky is the limit.
(well, there is that one pesky law about selling any moonshine you made):(
I know nothing about moonshine and not plan to drink one anyway. But you make a good point about stuff in Mississippi. I'll lookup for missississississississississississippi

Am I allowed to post the link here? umm, Hope so. Just found this. What do you guys think of it? There's not much info about it. The Property

I know nothing about moonshine and not plan to drink one anyway. But you make a good point about stuff in Mississippi.
Well, if I made Bio-Diesel, I wouldn't drink any of it either.:rolleyes:
But you can bet that I would sell every gallon I made as fast as I could make it...for cash.:thumbs:
Everything you need to make Bio-Diesel is in Mississippi.

Am I allowed to post the link here? umm, Hope so. Just found this. What do you guys think of it? There's not much info about it. The Property
They are calling it 'recreational' because it is mostly bayou. (water)
But you are on the right track.

Latest posts

Back