Random Acts of Kindness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully he made some contributions to home life after he got home. The adjustment from the stay at home wife, to the working full time wife has been a heavy responsibility put on many women.
I never had the opportunity to be a stay at home mom/wife. There was a short time (3ish months) when I didn't work when my son was 1 and daughter was 3 and we moved. I was made to feel quite worthless for not working. Now ex-husband came home from work and played video games, was not a kind person, and rather abusive. Children would certainly be better for having a caring parent at home rather than going to a daycare - even good daycares. Home/family has fallen down the priority list which is shameful. Sorry - off topic.
The happy part is there are still some good folks out there doing good things :)

I never had the opportunity to be a stay at home mom/wife. There was a short time (3ish months) when I didn't work when my son was 1 and daughter was 3 and we moved. I was made to feel quite worthless for not working. Now ex-husband came home from work and played video games, was not a kind person, and rather abusive. Children would certainly be better for having a caring parent at home rather than going to a daycare - even good daycares. Home/family has fallen down the priority list which is shameful. Sorry - off topic.
The happy part is there are still some good folks out there doing good things :)
I have heard too many stories like this. Mother works a full time job, comes home, cooks dinner, does laundry, cleans the house, takes care of children, does the grocery shopping and the husband does whatever he feels like doing. I have a friend whose husband had similar attitudes. He loved the money and benefits when she worked, but not the lack of attention when she had so much else to do when she came home from work. It went back and forth for them for years. Then when she wasn't working, but staying home, keeping house, he was resentful that she didn't contribute financially.

In a few of my relatives homes, dinner and dishes are shared jobs with husband and wife. They are both on their feet working on it until it is all done. For one cousin, they made dinner for their elderly parents when they were alive, he delivered to both homes while she worked on other aspects of home life. He would come home; they would have dinner with the family. She was a teacher. He and the children cleaned up dinner and he helped with baths and getting them to bed, while she checked papers until 10 at night, when she would quit, finished or not.

Okay, we have to keep this thread going. I was driving through big city today thinking about @havasu 's post over on rant for the day, and thought what is it? Anyhow, I answered myself "It's common curtesy." It is so nice when someone smiles and says good morning or holds a door open. I thought- I like to let cars go that I can see have been waiting for a break in traffic. None of those things cost us a dime and just make life better. It was shortly after thinking all of this that I needed to switch lanes. Mind you I was in a one ton with a 12' flatbed pulling a 20' trailer full of metal. I put my blinker on and checked my mirror to look for the next break in traffic. A little black sports car noticeably backed off so I could get over. Thank you little black sports car. I waved out the window once I was fully in the lane. That was cool!

You're right LadyLocust, common courtesy goes a long way. Today I walked out of the post office with a long and bulky box and a lady went out of her way to open the door for me. I thought that was nice.....and most definitely said "Thank You very much". I would've (and often have) done the same thing for others. It's just not something I think about......it's nice to know I'm not alone.

When I checked out at the grocery store today I spent enough to get a 10 cent discount on gas next door. I don't buy gas there so I always ask either the cashier or bag boy if they would like my discount ticket. The bag boy was the lucky one today. I've never had anyone that works there say they didn't want the discount ticket. It's a small gesture but it almost always gets a smile.:D

@angie_nrs That reminds me. We don't have discount gas, but there are two different sticker deals. One is the monopoly which I think is nation wide. I give my game pieces to the person in front of or behind me. (If there's nobody behind me I ask the person in front of me. They will usually gladly stick around for 2 min. to get them. The other is a little town we visit. They have "saver shields". I think that's what they are called. Once you fill a little sheet, you get 59 c or a dollar or something. Folks are always glad to get those. It's fun to see people smile.

When a kid has a stand set up and is selling something I try to stop and buy whatever they have. Usually cost me a quarter but the kids are happy.
I have a table sitting by my mail box and I put all the extra veggies from my garden on it with a free sign.
Usually doesn't take long before someone stops.
I guess what some people call an act of kindness most of us just call being neighborly.

I take my excess to work, or wife takes it to a co worker. Took a lot of stuff in last year and had discussions with several folks about the produce. This year 2 of them have started their own gardens. One of the guys has a huge garden and comes by all the time to share pics with me. He asked all kinds of questions in late winter, where to get seed, what kinds grow good here, Etc. Makes me happy to see 30 somethings grow a lot of their families food.

I am hoping one of the neighbors will come over and pick a bunch of tomatoes. We have thousands of cherry tomatoes and I'm tired of picking them.
They are super sweet but a guy can only pick and eat so many.

I wish we were neighbors. I didn't get my tomato plants in this year.:( Nothing beats fresh ripe tomatoes! Now I want a BLT!

Community garage sales. We stop at the kids lemonade stands to buy drinks and cookies.

I do the same. As do my uniformed officers. Even if they never actually drink the lemonade or eat the cookies.

My favorite buddy is retiring.
He is very big into investing, buying stocks, etc.
So I got him these for a retirement gift:):
IMG_3153.JPG

Went camping for a few days at an event. We had a fish fry one night and, of coarse, always make way too much food. I made up a plate and took it over to the guy who was manning an entrance to the event. He was so happy and insisted on a huge hug. Awwwwwwwwww.

Later we were sitting around the campfire having a few totties and a friend of hubs wandered over to join us. He brought along his 2 boys (maybe 5 and 7?). Anyways, they looked bored as all heck listening to the adults just talk and talk. I keep little glow in the dark toys in the camper just for situations like this. I got them out and asked dad if I could borrow his boys. He seemed happy to let loose of his figity boys. We were by a wide open field and played with the air toys. They boys were thrilled! I sent them home with the toys and already have replacements to keep in the camper for the next time. Hubs said he saw his friend the next day and said the boys kept him up half the night playing with their new toys.:D

We just gave away 14 Walmart bags of the best bears I've ever had, to neighbor and church folks.

Everybody loved them.

Does that count ?

Jim
It depends on if they were nice bears or mean bears ~ sorry couldn't resist. That usually happens to me. But yes it counts - Generosity is a dying trait as more and more folks shout me, me, me. Have a beautiful day:)

It depends on if they were nice bears or mean bears ~ sorry couldn't resist. That usually happens to me. But yes it counts - Generosity is a dying trait as more and more folks shout me, me, me. Have a beautiful day:)

Yep I see.
This auto correct has become my worst enema...

Repaired

Jim:)

Spent some sweat equity this weekend processing dead wood (firewood) off our property and delivered it to some friends of ours who physically can't do it anymore. It was a win-win-win. We got a good workout, put some useless (to us) dead wood to use and tidied up the property, and also helped out some friends.:D We also got to enjoy some wonderful fall weather. I just love this time of year!

Driving home from work when I see 3 young ladies standing around a car parked on the street with it's hood up. They are all staring at the engine like it was the first time they had see one. As I was driving by I heard it trying to start, the familiar click click click of a dead battery. I decided to pull over and use the jump pack the state was so kind to provide me. There ended up being 4 young ladies. I did have to ask the young ladies to stop taking pictures of the event for their social media accounts. Turns out they are part of one of the many sorority houses in town and I was invited to their "big event" Friday night. I am sure my wife would be thrilled to have me attend but I declined just the same.

Would you have stopped if it had been four males?
sorry I had to ask...

Would you have stopped if it had been four males?
sorry I had to ask...

Heck no. Okay, maybe. While I raise my girls to be capable and self-reliant, I have found in my career that many parents do not. More so when it comes to daughters than sons. I would be far more surprised to see 4 males standing around a car looking perplexed than I would 4 females. Unless they were soy-boys, she-males, or ANTIFA members, in which case we are right back to heck no. Not off duty anyways. I would however have called in a municipal traffic unit to assist them.

And for the record, I am not one to be drawn in by bouncy body parts and fluttering eyelashes. I am more drawn in by damsels in distress.

I have a distinct mistrust for pretty girls who act like they can get whatever they want just by being pretty.
I understand the "damsel in distress" but I would call them help rather than possibly put my reputation at risk.

I have a distinct mistrust for pretty girls who act like they can get whatever they want just by being pretty.
I understand the "damsel in distress" but I would call them help rather than possibly put my reputation at risk.

Body cam, dash cam, and radio call out. I covered my bases. I live in a college town with 2 different schools. We have co-eds everywhere. False claims of sexual harassment or contact are common place.

Sad isn't it...

Made up a food box for a fellow veteran whose having a hard time right now.
No fancy foods, beans, cornmeal,5 pounds of potatoes, sack of onions, dozen eggs, dry milk.
Toilet paper, trash bags, roll of paper towels.
Also in the box was a gift card for $15 for meat at the local grocery store.
He can't buy any thing but meat with the gift card.
Took the items out of my stores, well everything but the gift card.
Bingo paid for that.
Delivered it to his house today, while he was away.

Latest posts

Back