Random Acts of Kindness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its got nothing to do with being a Scrooge.
I have been volunteering in my local area for over 10 years, wanting to give something to my small rural location.
but people in the larger towns and cities are a different thing, you may want to give something to a homeless person, over here we have professional beggars who make a living at it, not everyone is as genuine as they look, I just dont intend to be used for some ones gain.

This is true. And it is wonderful to see. :)
I do believe this is where the term "pay it forward" comes from.
I mentioned about paying for the groceries for the girl in front of me at the checkout line in a previous post.
I have seen this propagate 5 or 6 times before when the people behind you are so moved by your kindness that they continue to repeat the process.
Not everybody is a Scrooge.
And I'll add that I drove 200 to 400+ miles a day before I retired (field service engineer). I'd see nice people in front of me during heavy traffic who would wave people in and then they would do the same for someone else. The negative side happened when someone was in front of me being a jerk and that would rub off on the next driver. The domino effect.

If other people see the act or hear about it, they are encouraged to do acts of kindness too.
That is the point exactly.

I think everyone probably does kind things that we don't go and tell everyone about. But the whole point of the thread was to encourage others to pay it forward. Sometimes a little reminder is all it takes. I often times get caught up in my day to day activities and become self absorbed. Having a bit of a reminder to be positive and kind to others is appreciated.

I was out near town yesterday and was parked on the side of the road with my hazzards on, pulling a shovel out of my truck. A guy stops and asks if I need help.

I said no thanks, it's only one body. He laughed and carried on. The cops didn't show up either.

I was there to dig a mess of day lily's out of the ditch. People here have the luxury not worry too much about being nice to kooky strangers.

That is the point exactly.

I think everyone probably does kind things that we don't go and tell everyone about. But the whole point of the thread was to encourage others to pay it forward. Sometimes a little reminder is all it takes. I often times get caught up in my day to day activities and become self absorbed. Having a bit of a reminder to be positive and kind to others is appreciated.
RIGHT!
ND Well worded!

I found this, so it's not me, but thought that was so sweet of someone.

1698292884956.png

You guys in here helping me out after my disaster in January was awesome, truly a high point in my life and I mean that sincerely!

About this time of year I order mylar emergency blankets and give them out to people in wheelchairs, on walkers, etc. They are about the size of billfolds, so they are easily put in coat pockets. They are appreciated.

Last year I also gave one to each of the 20 or so police officers and 30 or so firefighters. The police chief told me a couple of weeks ago that one probably saved a guys life last year and that was awesome to hear.

I searched on line and found 100 for about $70.00 and that includes shipping. Well worth the time and effort!

do that in London and they'll either totally ignore you or think something is wrong with you. their all a bit odd in the City.
I was in the city once and a woman, dressed quite 'cool' detoured towards me with a huge smile and said, "I love your shoes! where can I get them?" then went on her merry way. And when I lived in NY I met some lovely random folks who went out of their way to be nice. I think as a pack society is rotten, but individually they are ok. Yesterday took my son for a job interview and some randomguy come up the street and stood watching us on the opposite side of the road for a while, then shouted over and wobbled across the road. I knew straight way he was drunk, readjusted to stoned within a few minutes! He was American - I would say West Coast, about 70, and a bit of a hippy. He chatted a while, gave us a peace sign and went off happy. My son turned to me and said, I didn't know whether to be ready to rescue him (he kept stepping onto the road) or fight him! He made my day though. He was so happy.

About this time of year I order mylar emergency blankets and give them out to people in wheelchairs, on walkers, etc. They are about the size of billfolds, so they are easily put in coat pockets. They are appreciated.

Last year I also gave one to each of the 20 or so police officers and 30 or so firefighters. The police chief told me a couple of weeks ago that one probably saved a guys life last year and that was awesome to hear.

I searched on line and found 100 for about $70.00 and that includes shipping. Well worth the time and effort!
Do you have a link?

Yep! Immensely! I could buy two cases for what a dozen costs over the counter!

On a side note, Look what I found! very interesting fellow preppers!
https://www.mdpi.com/2079-6412/10/4/375
I read some of it and it is interesting. It's always good to know all the angles. It's definitely not something to replace a sleeping bag or any other long-term use.

I read some of it and it is interesting. It's always good to know all the angles. It's definitely not something to replace a sleeping bag or any other long-term use.
It would definitely augment a sleeping bag.

I used a space bag and a space blanket when my car was stuck in a snowbank on a windy night. I was cold but way warmer than I would have been without it.

It would definitely augment a sleeping bag.

I used a space bag and a space blanket when my car was stuck in a snowbank on a windy night. I was cold but way warmer than I would have been without it.
I have a regular sleeping bag in my trunk during winters, along with the mylar blankets. The mylar blankets are also good if you need to get out of your car during cold rain and sleet. What prompted me to buy the blankets and give them out, as well as keep some for myself, is my adopted niece's car broke down a few years ago. She walked into town in cold rain and sleet. Well, they had to take her by ambulance to an emergency room. I gave here a couple of them afterwards and told her she needs to keep them with her because if she freezes to death and doesn't have them with her, I'm gonna whoop her ass! LOL

I have a regular sleeping bag in my trunk during winters, along with the mylar blankets. The mylar blankets are also good if you need to get out of your car during cold rain and sleet. What prompted me to buy the blankets and give them out, as well as keep some for myself, is my adopted niece's car broke down a few years ago. She walked into town in cold rain and sleet. Well, they had to take her by ambulance to an emergency room. I gave here a couple of them afterwards and told her she needs to keep them with her because if she freezes to death and doesn't have them with her, I'm gonna whoop her ass! LOL
By the way, I got my sleeping bag at a military surplus store for $20 or $25 about 15 years ago. It's rated as "Extreme Cold" and that is minus 25 degrees.

I used a space blanket during survival school in the Navy.
I froze every night.
We were told we would be moved into a building if the temperature dropped below 19°.
Every morning we asked the instructors how cold it was last night. The answer was always 19°, never below.
January in Warner Springs CA. was cold.

My random act.
Last week my wife found a necklace on a picnic table at the beach.
It was obviously made for a little girl.
There was a family down the beach so I gave it to the little girl.
Her dad thought I was trying to sell it but I told him it was free.

A guy from the cable company came by to install modem. Had a weird accent, asked where he was from. He said Ukraine. Him and his family just moved here. A church helped to get him here. Said he was a CEO in Ukraine, he was so humble and glad to be here. He has 3 children and wife. Gave him 40 bucks, had to force him to take it. Told him to carry his family out to get hamburgers. Now that I think about 40 wasn't enough to take family out.

They were the only option for us.
Those and a piece of parachute to make a shelter.
No tent or sleeping bag
That sucks. A lot of times there were people in the Navy (and other branches of the Military) who abused their power and then wondered why they didn't reenlist. That caused long term effect on some Veterans too.

Over a couple years, I bought 12 M1-carbines and gave them to relatives and friends:rolleyes:.
I just thought that everybody that wanted one, should have one:D.
View attachment 22758
(Don't worry, none were G.I. or collectable, they were all 'shooters')
Windsor and Chevy are mine.
Welcome back @Speedmaster!:huggs:
I can't thank you enough for liking that post!
I thought I had lost that picture of the "Carbine Family" for good and could not find it to save my soul!gaah

Latest posts

Back