Random Acts of Kindness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saying hello and something nice, really makes some people light up. Be prepared to get your ear talked off, it comes with the territory. Around here, people are pretty friendly.

Being far out from town and no cell service on the road, it would be rude not to stop and ask if helps needed if someone is pulled over. Some caution is needed though, as they are likely just making a pit stop.
In those special cases, honk and wave as you drive by. That's what I do 😂

Do it anyways. You don't do it to get approval, you do it to set a different standard and maybe just once, you might brighten someone's day. Try paying a compliment while you are at it. First there is confusion and than a sheepish grin. Keep going. No response required good, bad or otherwise.

Wow, nice boots!..... move on.

why bother? most people are stupid, recent events prove that.
I prefer to ignore people, they ignore anything I say anyway and cant get them to engage in conversation, such is the modern attitude.

I helped a young lady out recently and she was very grateful. She has seizures so she can't drive. She doesn't get much disability so she struggles to work 15 to 20 hours a week. She made a a comment to me that she didn't have much food and payday was 6 days away. I offered to give her $20 and take her to the grocery store. She sincerely thanked me so I handed her $40. She was so happy and thankful. It made me feel good that she thanked me so many times. It was well spent money.

I enjoy saying hello to folks I meet on the street
Me too! My step daughter, her kids and family don't speak to anyone except each other, even when out in the community. They identify themselves as Christians, but how does one share Christ if they don't even speak to people? I drove them crazy just being myself the last time I visited. LOL

why bother? most people are stupid, recent events prove that.
I prefer to ignore people, they ignore anything I say anyway and cant get them to engage in conversation, such is the modern attitude.
Even stupid people deserve love. I fail so see why someone would withhold kindness to people whom you deem to be stupid. Thankfully Jesus didn't feel that way. I've done a lot of stupid things in my lifetime and he loves me anyways.

"The modern attitude?" If that's what you're seeing around you, I'm glad I don't live where you do.

"Why bother?" Because change starts with you. A lot of times you get what you give, especially if it's negative. A smile or a small gesture of kindness can go a long way. You just never know what some small gesture can mean to someone else and many times costs us very little, if anything.

Me too! My step daughter, her kids and family don't speak to anyone except each other, even when out in the community. They identify themselves as Christians, but how does one share Christ if they don't even speak to people? I drove them crazy just being myself the last time I visited. LOL
Christianity preached LOVE THY NEIGHBOR.

There was 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground last winter and I saw a guy in an electric wheelchair just sitting in the middle of the street. Another man and I stopped to help him. His battery went dead. We pushed him to a place of business and they allowed him to recharge his battery. No one else stopped but I'm sure something like that happened to them, they'd expect everyone to stop and help them.

Even stupid people deserve love. I fail so see why someone would withhold kindness to people whom you deem to be stupid. Thankfully Jesus didn't feel that way. I've done a lot of stupid things in my lifetime and he loves me anyways.

"The modern attitude?" If that's what you're seeing around you, I'm glad I don't live where you do.

"Why bother?" Because change starts with you. A lot of times you get what you give, especially if it's negative. A smile or a small gesture of kindness can go a long way. You just never know what some small gesture can mean to someone else and many times costs us very little, if anything.
the locals are okay, its when I go further afield I come across the stupid people, urban seems to equate with stupid, or maybe its just modern reality.

the locals are okay, its when I go further afield I come across the stupid people, urban seems to equate with stupid, or maybe its just modern reality.
Many times, my Random Acts of Kindness are often done to people I don't even know. They could be rich, poor, stupid, intelligent, mean, A-holes, lazy, etc. It's irrelevant. They are people going thru life.....and I have no idea what that looks like to them.

I'm glad I saw this post before walking out the door today. It just gave me some inspiration to do something nice for someone today. Someone that I don't even know and haven't seen yet. Hmmmm.......what am I gonna do?;)

if you dont even know them they are probably taking you for a ride and laughing behind your back.

There was 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground last winter and I saw a guy in an electric wheelchair just sitting in the middle of the street. Another man and I stopped to help him. His battery went dead. We pushed him to a place of business and they allowed him to recharge his battery. No one else stopped but I'm sure something like that happened to them, they'd expect everyone to stop and help them.
I did that some years ago, pushed this guy (Goth) in his wheelchair with a dead battery all the way to his home, next time we saw him in town he totally ignored us, so never again.

We live in the world we create?

I once had a work "friend" (loosely speaking), whom told me "business is business and friendship is completely separate." Unapologetically. And he demonstrated that belief by acting like a jerk to anyone and everyone he worked with. He thought his "kindness" was a rare commodity? Not to be wasted in his work life because he needed every bit at home?

Being kind is not a zero sum game. And it's really phony to pretend to be two different people. He didn't only have relationship problems at work, but his attitude bled over to his "personal life" problems too.

There's a surplus of nasty people in the world? Be kind. It's free and contrarian!

maybe its the American Christian thing, I am neither American nor a Christian, I can take or leave people and I prefer to leave them .
modern life does not endear me to other people, especially the Snowflake, Woke, BLM, Trans, Sheeple masses.

Last edited:
At big box store I prefer to park out always, keep the truck from getting bump is my thought. Cold drizzly day as I walk to the entrance. Young lady unloaded her cart and was looking for a cart bin. Though the open rear hatch I could see an infant seat. She looked shocked and relived when I offered to take the cart for her. My mother would come back from the grave and haunt me if I wasn’t a gentleman. Pushed the cart inside and parked it with the rest of the carts.

I did that some years ago, pushed this guy (Goth) in his wheelchair with a dead battery all the way to his home, next time we saw him in town he totally ignored us, so never again.
The guy I'm talking about was very grateful, but it didn't matter. As cold as it was, he could have frozen to death or got run over by a car.

I dont mind being a gentleman, I am always polite, I often am asked by little old ladies to get them a can off the top shelf in the store which I am happy to do.
on the other hand in a long life I have been let down by many people and I dont intend to let that happen again, the two things are not exclusive.

if you dont even know them they are probably taking you for a ride and laughing behind your back.
I don't care. It's not really about them. I also usually get a smile out of the gesture, if nothing else. Either way, it's fine by me.
modern life does not endear me to other people, especially the Snowflake, Woke, BLM, Trans, Sheeple masses.
Is it possible that you're just lumping everyone into a category that you don't like? Do none of these people have ANY redeeming qualities? What if a 'sheeple' rescued your sibling from a burning car? Would they still deserve your disdain?
I wonder why you feel the need to throw a wet towel on a thread that's supposed to be upbeat and cheerful. :dunno:

I'm sad for you that your heart seems hard. It's very difficult to find joy in life that way.:(

I picked up lunch for hubby and his helpers and left a generous tip to the folks who made the lunch. They typically don't get tips b/c it's a carry out place. I got a hearty Thank You and a smile out of the deal. I don't need positive reinforcement like that, but it's nice to see none the less.

I don't care. It's not really about them. I also usually get a smile out of the gesture, if nothing else. Either way, it's fine by me.

Is it possible that you're just lumping everyone into a category that you don't like? Do none of these people have ANY redeeming qualities? What if a 'sheeple' rescued your sibling from a burning car? Would they still deserve your disdain?
I wonder why you feel the need to throw a wet towel on a thread that's supposed to be upbeat and cheerful. :dunno:

I'm sad for you that your heart seems hard. It's very difficult to find joy in life that way.:(

I picked up lunch for hubby and his helpers and left a generous tip to the folks who made the lunch. They typically don't get tips b/c it's a carry out place. I got a hearty Thank You and a smile out of the deal. I don't need positive reinforcement like that, but it's nice to see none the less.
It could be, like me, you live in a smaller community. 11,000 people here in Spencer Iowa. It's pretty friendly here.

By the way, it was nice of you to do those good deeds.

If other people see the act or hear about it, they are encouraged to do acts of kindness too.
This is true. And it is wonderful to see. :)
I do believe this is where the term "pay it forward" comes from.
I mentioned about paying for the groceries for the girl in front of me at the checkout line in a previous post.
I have seen this propagate 5 or 6 times before when the people behind you are so moved by your kindness that they continue to repeat the process.
Not everybody is a Scrooge.

Latest posts

Back