Random Acts of Kindness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many people are so busy. I always wonder about people who are driving way past the time in their life when they should be driving, because they are a danger to themselves and others. For many people, there is no one else who is paying attention to give them the assistance they need such as taking them to appointments and shopping. Sometimes, there is no one left that can help.

Paying it forward is something I like to do. I've been helped a few times in my life, and paying it forward is one of the better things we can do. It also feels good! Sooner or later, everyone needs help and sometimes we come upon these situations where someone needs help and we can step up if we choose to.
I'm pretty sure Par couldn't accept that arrangement; he would swap places with the person behind him in line. Hah; that reminds me of Mar telling about how our family ended up getting "commodities" from the state back in the late 40s, during a "rough patch". Whoever had charge of them in the town offices had to "run in to" Par several times over several months before persuading him that he might as well take some of it home, else it would go to waste (Par wasn't the only Proud person in town).

Today when I filled my car it only cost $43 instead of $60. I let the attendant keep the change from the $50 and told him Merry Christmas. It wasn't a lot but he seemed pleasantly surprised.

When I help someone and the offer money I politely decline and tell them I need all the deposits in my karma bank I can get.

Last edited:
Today when I filled my car it only cost $43 instead of $60. I let the attendant keep the change from the $50 and told him Merry Christmas. It wasn't a lot but he seemed pleasantly surprised.

When I help someone and the offer money I politely decline and tell them I need all the deposits in my carma bank I can get.
Good deads only seen by God and oneself are the best. Nobody else need know.

Ben

On another forum I used to post in, there was a thread like this and it was always a lot of fun to read. It was inspiring to see what other people do to spread a little happiness and cheer for absolutely no reason at all. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread up like this here so that we can keep the "pay it forward" attitude alive and well. So, if you have experienced someone who threw kindness your way OR you decided today to do something kind towards someone else, please post it here. It doesn't have to be anything big. Perhaps it will inspire someone here to do the same or perhaps get some ideas rolling that we decide to act on too. Maybe we can make this world a little better place to be in today.:D Let's create some Awwwwwwww moments.

I'll start us off.....

Today I had a McDonalds fry craving that I just couldn't resist. So, off to McD's I went. I don't do this often but I was talking to my sister last week and she said someone bought her order in line at the drive thru and it just made her day. So, today I bought the order of the car behind me. It was only a few bucks and the lady behind me waved her hands out the window in Thanks. I think the cashier was smiling about it too. It made me so happy just to spread a little act of kindness today.:)
I love this. Great post. Today I was able to help two people stock their freezers with veggies. Plus give eggs to one of them from my hens. Great start to the day. Been working on getting everything ready with my greenhouse. Planting more this year. Hoping to have a lot more than I need to share.

Sometimes an act of kindness is telling someone that they are doing something that is not good in a private and kind way. This often does not go over well and not always taken as a "thank you for telling me so that I can grow and learn from this" attitude. I informed a local pastor that his continual mocking of political figures with insulting and derogatory words was not the way to instruct a congregation to act and that it just increased bitterness and hatred of the people he spoke of instead of encouraging people to pray for our leaders and our country to turn back to what is good and right. His reply "hope you find a new church". My only thought .. maybe my note will sink in someday before that church dies (and it ain't far from it).

Sometimes an act of kindness is telling someone that they are doing something that is not good in a private and kind way. This often does not go over well and not always taken as a "thank you for telling me so that I can grow and learn from this" attitude. I informed a local pastor that his continual mocking of political figures with insulting and derogatory words was not the way to instruct a congregation to act and that it just increased bitterness and hatred of the people he spoke of instead of encouraging people to pray for our leaders and our country to turn back to what is good and right. His reply "hope you find a new church". My only thought .. maybe my note will sink in someday before that church dies (and it ain't far from it).
Wise words!
I once had a friend who made some decisions I didn't think were right for her. I was very kind but pointed out the high potential outcome. Several months later (after she did not take my advise), she did thank me saying I was the only one who did not give her ear candy and tell her what she wanted to hear. As you said - not mean, accusingly, or condemningly but kindly.

Sometimes you make the best effort, but things don't turn out as well as you hoped? My friend called me, who was helping friends of his that took two weeks vacation during their lambing time!?

I showed up to help at his request, but I found it necessary to state that obvious, "I ain't going nowhere, not even to town when my ewes are lambing. Let alone miles away on vacation?"

"I know me too. I'm the same way."

Anyway, tried to help that poor first time ewe. Lamb too big and pelvis too small. Tried twisting. Back and forth. Pushing back in to rearrange. The lamb must have been dead for over a day at that point.

"We're gonna have to take her to a vet."

"I can't get a hold of them to get their permission."

"Well, let me know if you hear from them and I will help you load her."

That was yesterday. Haven't heard back. Afraid to ask.

Wise words!
I once had a friend who made some decisions I didn't think were right for her. I was very kind but pointed out the high potential outcome. Several months later (after she did not take my advise), she did thank me saying I was the only one who did not give her ear candy and tell her what she wanted to hear. As you said - not mean, accusingly, or condemningly but kindly.
All that we can do is our best, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't at least we can say we did all we could to help.

Sometimes you make the best effort, but things don't turn out as well as you hoped? My friend called me, who was helping friends of his that took two weeks vacation during their lambing time!?

I showed up to help at his request, but I found it necessary to state that obvious, "I ain't going nowhere, not even to town when my ewes are lambing. Let alone miles away on vacation?"

"I know me too. I'm the same way."

Anyway, tried to help that poor first time ewe. Lamb too big and pelvis too small. Tried twisting. Back and forth. Pushing back in to rearrange. The lamb must have been dead for over a day at that point.

"We're gonna have to take her to a vet."

"I can't get a hold of them to get their permission."

"Well, let me know if you hear from them and I will help you load her."

That was yesterday. Haven't heard back. Afraid to ask.
That 'vacation' is better labeled Dereliction Of Duty (accompanied by strong adjectives). I didn't need to be reminded that there are arseholes out there.

Sometimes you wonder why you do things. There was a young couple living across the street from us taking care of her elderly parents. They had no car. I had a Chevy minivan that had a very small antifreeze leak. It took several weeks to leak a gallon. The leak was in a place that was almost inaccessible. Car ran great and was really clean. I gave them the car for Christmas. Told him to keep antifreeze in it and it would be good, local transportation. When it got low on antifreeze, he put water in it instead. It froze up and cracked the block. You just can't help some people.

Hi rusty, seems to have been awhile since I've seen your posts, good to see that you're still around. Yeah, I've seen people that couldn't take care of their vehicles, had a friend that said his car was making a clattering noise, I had him open the hood and I pulled the dip stick, there was one small drop of oil at the end of it, told him to add oil when he did he said the engine was running quiet. Sometimes you wonder how these people survive each day, if they had a horse, the poor thing would die from neglect.

Last edited:
I know it really goes against the nature of this post. But for my own sanity sake I've had to grow more prejudice in my selection of who, what, and where to help others.

I'm reminded of the adage of "don't give a drunk a drink". And I am also mindful of attempts by others that make attempts to improve my circumstances. Sometimes it's really small and inconspicuous, but I have gotten better at recognizing their intent and especially expressing gratitude?

Because I'd like to be responsible for creating a world where there is more givers than takers. And the evidence is overwhelmingly contrary to that utopian society?

About 40 years ago I was out for a walk. Ran into this mentally challenged guy who had to show what he bought, he was so proud. He had bought a handgun. I bought it from him, because I did not think he should have it. It was an old "Saturday night special". It is still in my gun cabinet. I gave him $30 for it, about what it is still worth.

Good deeds (and just doing the right thing) can come with multiple bonuses...

Right before Christmas, my wife and I went to Aldi's to get some things. A lady hands us a cart and we give her a quarter. We shop. When we are loading up our car, I notice that the blue child seat in the cart is lifted. I look under and see a lady's wallet. While my wife drives to pick up the kids, I look through it for identification. I find everything (a lot of cash) but not a phone number. She was from a couple of towns away (about 60 miles), so I call the town's police department to see if they can reach her. After we get our kids from school, I call our police department who tell me to bring it to the station. I trust most cops, but I was filming what was in the wallet as I walk into the station (if someone took anything out of it, I didn't want to be blamed). Turns out, that lady had got there right before me. I was able to hand it to her. She was grateful and seeing the relief on her face made me happy (had some rough extended family time right before that).

Bonus: my son (10 and can't wait to become a firefighter and a cop) gets to meet two of our finest.
Double Bonus: she was with her nephew (looked like 4 years old, wants to be a cop) and met two of our finest.
Triple Bonus: The police officers gave the kids some cool stuffed police teddy bears (my son displays this proudly in his room).

Immeasurable bonuses: when I didn't take any money she offered me, I said, "it's Christmas and so,,,Merry Christmas." She told me it had been a rough time and she was glad to see some good people out there. I'm not sure, but the whole thing made me feel good as well.

Good deeds (and just doing the right thing) can come with multiple bonuses...

Right before Christmas, my wife and I went to Aldi's to get some things. A lady hands us a cart and we give her a quarter. We shop. When we are loading up our car, I notice that the blue child seat in the cart is lifted. I look under and see a lady's wallet. While my wife drives to pick up the kids, I look through it for identification. I find everything (a lot of cash) but not a phone number. She was from a couple of towns away (about 60 miles), so I call the town's police department to see if they can reach her. After we get our kids from school, I call our police department who tell me to bring it to the station. I trust most cops, but I was filming what was in the wallet as I walk into the station (if someone took anything out of it, I didn't want to be blamed). Turns out, that lady had got there right before me. I was able to hand it to her. She was grateful and seeing the relief on her face made me happy (had some rough extended family time right before that).

Bonus: my son (10 and can't wait to become a firefighter and a cop) gets to meet two of our finest.
Double Bonus: she was with her nephew (looked like 4 years old, wants to be a cop) and met two of our finest.
Triple Bonus: The police officers gave the kids some cool stuffed police teddy bears (my son displays this proudly in his room).

Immeasurable bonuses: when I didn't take any money she offered me, I said, "it's Christmas and so,,,Merry Christmas." She told me it had been a rough time and she was glad to see some good people out there. I'm not sure, but the whole thing made me feel good as well.
Fantastic story Ozark

A supermarket near me does very good, and local beef. I nipped over yesterday to get some at half price. Took the €30 I had saved and did a shop for a sort of homeless man that lives between me and that town in a house with no windows. Its not a case of having to- the local council have offered him a home and help, it's wanting to. He walks everywhere and has become slower lately. He also has acquired dog, but wouldn't be fit to carry the food required for a dog that size, so a delivery is being made today :) and he has no idea who- it's brilliant. It was difficult to shop for him, as I don't know what facilities he has. He seems to just buy bread and cheese, so I got them, tea and coffee, bottles of water, tinned beans, tuna, cereal and cup of soups. And some biscuits :)

A supermarket near me does very good, and local beef. I nipped over yesterday to get some at half price. Took the €30 I had saved and did a shop for a sort of homeless man that lives between me and that town in a house with no windows. Its not a case of having to- the local council have offered him a home and help, it's wanting to. He walks everywhere and has become slower lately. He also has acquired dog, but wouldn't be fit to carry the food required for a dog that size, so a delivery is being made today :) and he has no idea who- it's brilliant. It was difficult to shop for him, as I don't know what facilities he has. He seems to just buy bread and cheese, so I got them, tea and coffee, bottles of water, tinned beans, tuna, cereal and cup of soups. And some biscuits :)
That was a brilliant idea!! ♥️

That’s awesome! Isn’t it fun to do things like that? Especially when the recipient hasn’t asked and isn’t expecting it 😁

Saying hello and something nice, really makes some people light up. Be prepared to get your ear talked off, it comes with the territory. Around here, people are pretty friendly.

Being far out from town and no cell service on the road, it would be rude not to stop and ask if help is needed if someone is pulled over. Some caution is needed though, as they are likely just making a pit stop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back