Rant about very common survival advice

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Innkeeper, that story tells a lot about over-civilized folk and their understanding of the 'outback'. It was hopeless anyway, but there's woods, and then there's woods.
Good to see you, VT. I hadn't noticed you posting for a bit.

"There's woods, and then there's woods..." Truer words were never spoken. I could get by for a little while in the woods. An entire Alaskan winter? No way. That's just crazy...

Good to see you, VT. I hadn't noticed you posting for a bit.

"There's woods, and then there's woods..." Truer words were never spoken. I could get by for a little while in the woods. An entire Alaskan winter? No way. That's just crazy...
My acquainted may have been a few oars short of a galley. It was doomed to failure but I do give him points for trying his dream, albeit not prepared

Innkeeper, that story tells a lot about over-civilized folk and their understanding of the 'outback'. It was hopeless anyway, but there's woods, and then there's woods.
Yup. I live backing onto the woods ... which backs onto the woods ... which melds into the words where no person in recorded history has ever trod. Millions of acres, a lot of it almost totally inaccessible. The park next to us has over a million acres but only 70km of road

Nope. Past winter we had less than 2 weeks of temps below 20. Almost no snow at the house. I love winter and just don't get enough here. Summers are typically 90's and 80% humidity. I don't care for that.
Our winters generally have two weeks of -20 temps with a lot of -5 nights and 10° days with strong wind. And snow is a huge pain in the butt. By the end of Feb. I had a 7 foot tall pile, 40 feet long that I hand shoveled out of my driveway. I prefer temps that get down to about 30° and no lower, and I'll deal with the heat. You can always drink more water, but you can't get warm when you're outside and it's 10° and windy...

Well I see it from the other side. I can always put on another layer or two. But in the summer I can only get so nekkid. Neighbors and cops tend to frown! LOL.

BTW drinking water is as important in winter as summer.
Very, very true. I've gotten extremely dehydrated in winter just because I didn't feel like drinking anything. Your body loses water every time you exhale...drink up, all year round. The only problem in drinking lots of water in winter is, peeing is difficult with all those layers on, and then when you're finally ready to go, li'l buddy gets a temperature shock...:rolleyes::D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back