Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While on vacation, my front door Ring doorbell went offline. Ironically, this same night, a couple of gang bangers went from house to house, looking for unlocked cars to steal contents from. The idiot new neighbor down the street left her purse in her unlocked car and yep, it's gone. So while I was in North Carolina, I called Ring, but they said I would have to be home before they would try to fix the dumb doorbell.

So when I returned home, I have a very colorful conversation with Ring, and then said that Ring doorbells only have a 3 year warranty. The tech I spoke to was very apologetic, and sent me a 45% discount for a new Ring doorbell, so I got their new doorbell at almost half off. The tech also refreshed the old, tired doorbell and reminded me that the camera will still work great, and recommended I mount it in another location for safety purposes.

I crawled up into my attic and ran a new wire from my doorbell transformer and mounted it in the backyard, and surprisingly, it hooked up quickly and flawlessly.

I now have my front yard and back yard protected.View attachment 108386
Sooo....if I sneak into your pool I will be sure to wear a swimsuit!!

Havasu, glad you were able to get a new ring camera. I don't have a purse but I have a fanny pack and I would never leave it in an unlocked vehicle. The only time I ever leave it in the vehicle is when I have to go into the courthouse & they don't let people bring in phones. I hide it under the seat, lock the doors, & take my wallet with me. Less hassle so the security don't have to open it up and wonder why I have a magnet stick, a back scratcher, measuring tape, tire pressure gauge, & random stuff. LOL.

Sonya, that sucks!

When my mother went to meet up with my sister in Florida to visit Disney World & Universal Studios someone stole her wallet out of her purse. She didn't know if it was TSA or someone on the plane or after she disembarked. But when she got there, her wallet was gone.

Peanut, I feel you on this one. I am forever forgetting where I put things. Trying to find all of the stuff I thought I had in order for doing mortar. Can't find the stirring attachment. Also couldn't find the shower arm and escutcheon I was sure I had in there.

I'm on live chat with Home Depot CS right now. They are talking to UPS about my package that seems to be missing. Said if it is lost that I will get a refund and be able to order again at the same price. They actually have the saw in stock. They are now checking on the status of the Fedex fiasco. I'm hoping they can light a fire under their behinds to get them to retrieve the package and deliver it to me.

I am so envious of Havasu's pool. LOL. That slide would be my favorite thing ever.

Sooo....if I sneak into your pool I will be sure to wear a swimsuit!!
You know, I really thought about that issue while I was installing the camera. My only interest with mounting the camera at that location was because it provided the best coverage and get the most alerts in case some idiot burglar wanted to go into my back yard and break thru my french doors. Another reason was when we are on vacation, I want to be able to keep an eye on the water level in the pool, and I can see the water line on the skimmer perfectly, and add water as needed using my phone app.

Then again, us two old farts swimming naked would probably burn the eyes from anyone watching, as well as killing off all the bees and other insects in direct view of these old, wrinkled, ugly bodies.

Not to mention that that water seems to always be really cold!

I went to Capital Electric supply with my son to get electric stuff for a side job he is doing.
The total was $3400.00 & his debit card would not work, so he went to the bank.
The bank said his card has a limit for thirty days & that was over the limit.
So he got a cashiers check for the supplies & we moved the parts to the building.
Never heard of a limit, to stop a theft from taking all your money.

joel, that sucks that they wouldn't let him charge that much. I hope the stuff he got was worth it. Banks love to take $ and hold onto it. They find all sorts of excuses to not pay it out.

I suck at mudding. First the mix was too dry (even though I mixed the right amount). Then I am a total awkward uncoordinated monkey so I kept dropping the mortar while trying to get it on the walls. I tried to do it like in the videos but the texture wasn't right and it wasn't going well. The tip of the thumb on my glove came off somehow (left hand) so I ended up with stuff all over that thumb. Then I apparently mixed too much at once because the mix dried when I wasn't even halfway done. Ruined the bucket. I liked that bucket. I'll use a cheaper one next time. And maybe a plastic bag inside. Might use a smaller bucket. I'll have to experiment. I do know that it seems to need more water than the mfr says to use. It could have been worse but it could have been better. It's a hot mess to look at. LOL.

Mom hates her new phone. It drained battery while off and is very slow to charge. She is now claiming she wanted the 23+ and not the base model. She claimed I stopped her from getting the +. That's news to me bc I suggested she get the + if she thought the Ultra was too high. So, tomorrow we are going to try to return it and get the + model. I hope she likes it. She will have to return the case she got to Amazon as well. I hope they don't jerk her around trying to get the exchange done.

Meanwhile, something is up with her monitor. I think its the HDMI cable. It stopped getting signal to her monitor so for now she's hooked to the TV to use her computer and she doesn't like it because of the way she has to turn. She's also in a bad mood because I had low self control and ate the rest of the pudding. We're out of mix and the store doesn't have more so I'll have to find a different kind and/or order some from Amazon.

"joel, that sucks that they wouldn't let him charge that much."

It is dumb of them, but it was a debit card, he could have charged that on a Credit card.
It is to stop theft, but that will not stop theft nine out of ten month, because the limit is about
two thousand dollars to high most months.

Didn’t know if I should put this here or in the jokes. It certainly started to feel like one.

1) Thursday I ordered a window a/c online from lowes. The one I wanted wasn’t in stock locally so I had to order online for delivery to the store. Order process went smoothly. I got a confirmation email.

2) Yesterday I checked for a shipping update, an email from lowes said ‘order canceled’. No reason listed so I called the 800 number to find out details. Of course it took ages in their automated phone system before I got an option for a call back... in 39min. I waited, they called. She said my bank rejected the charge, suspected fraud…

3) So, I called my bank, fought my way through their automated system, 5min for next available. Said ‘it was suspected fraud’. I cleared that up… no fraud, and don’t pull that crap again!!!!! (I learned later she gave me false info)…

4) I called lows again to make sure of how to proceed since the card issue was cleared up. First the wonderful autosys, then 11min wait. Then a lady told me… now you can just place a new order.

Wouldn’t suggestions for problem resolution be great on… I don’t know… the 2nd email!!! Or the 4th? :dunno:

5) So, back to the website and placed the order, went smoothly…

But this one day order delay moved the shipping date from next week to week after next!!

6) couple hrs later I check my email, 2 messages from lows. One-new order being processed, great! Two-new order canceled… again!!!!!! 🤬🤬

7) called my bank, again, this time I had to even wait for them to call me back!!!

8) This lady passed me to a manager, I was (bleeping) angry!!! The manager told me they didn’t reject the charge either time… lows sent the charge, then moments later canceled the charge on each occasion. Said lowes sent them a ‘suspected fraud’ message each time.

9) Called lows,,, autosys… then the message ‘Service center is closed’ ‘Open 8:30 am’… MY backside! @#$%%$#@#$%*** :waiting:

10) So I went to the homer despot website. The same ac unit was $50 cheaper, should’ve checked but the store is a pain to get to, across the big town. I went through the checkout process. Thought I was being smart, used paypal this time. Everything was going smoothly. Got the paypal confirmation page then right back to homer website. I placed the order. At least I pressed the link, got a message…

“No order associated with this user” All my contact and shipping/billing data on the left. The correct item and price on the right. This asssssssss 9 message… ‘no order’! And after I paid for it!!! 🤬🤬

11) Took a long walk…. 😵‍💫

12) I called homer, long autosys...then a 9min wait for the next available… but at least they were open late. Got a nice lady who was excellent, went right to the problem. This girl was very well trained. It still took several minutes, I had to interact from my phone. Finally got to the very end of the process… then the phone center dropped my call!!!
brickwall 25x20.gif

At this point I started laughing…. How *.* hard can it be buy an air conditioner?? 🤣

If I had the parts I could have to build one by now!!! Seriously!

13) I called again, autosys then a 6min wait for next available. Got a different lady but just as good, seriously, very well trained. First thing… gave delivery to my address and 5% off for my difficulty. They are aware of their phone system problems.

Took longer but she stayed on until I got several email confirmations, including from ppl. It’s ordered!! $100 cheaper than the other big box store and delivery to my door next tuesday.

Now I wonder how hard it will be to actually getting my hands on the a/c...:rolleyes:

zz  omer 001.jpg

Last edited:
We came to Oregon to house sit and watch the cats for 3 weeks while my cousin and her husband are on a cross country trip.
One of the cats likes to go outside during the day. They told me he always comes back in around dark.
He didn't come back in until 11:30 PM the first night and 4 AM last night.
I wouldn't worry about him except they have trail cam pictures of coyotes, a bobcat, several bears, and a cougar all on the property, as well as deer and elk but those aren't a problem.
I do not want to have to tell them their cat is missing and may have been eaten.
I think the cat will not be going outside until they return at the end of the month.
To make things even worse the other cat just sits and cries for them.
No good deed goes unpunished. :rolleyes:

We came to Oregon to house sit and watch the cats for 3 weeks while my cousin and her husband are on a cross country trip.
One of the cats likes to go outside during the day. They told me he always comes back in around dark.
He didn't come back in until 11:30 PM the first night and 4 AM last night.
I wouldn't worry about him except they have trail cam pictures of coyotes, a bobcat, several bears, and a cougar all on the property, as well as deer and elk but those aren't a problem.
I do not want to have to tell them their cat is missing and may have been eaten.
I think the cat will not be going outside until they return at the end of the month.
To make things even worse the other cat just sits and cries for them.
No good deed goes unpunished. :rolleyes:
I would leave them inside, better safe than sorry!!

Peanut, that just sounds aggravating!

backlash, I hope the missing cat will turn up but I know how that goes- living in the woods and cats going missing. I can understand why the kitty misses the family it knows.

We once cat-sat for a couple weeks while some friends were traveling. They said we spoiled their cat & he didn't like them anymore afterward.

I'm still waiting for Fedex to either say my packages have been kept by whoever they left them with & can't be retrieved or for them to retrieve them and give them to me. Whoever got them either hasn't seen them or decided to keep them.

UPS still hasn't found my miter saw. I seriously think it was stolen by someone. If I have to order a new one i'll have to deal with telling them not to send the stand again. Seriously thinking of just getting a different saw at this point and asking for a refund of whatever the other one is worth and keep the stand. But I will have to borrow my friend's saw to do the work we needed to do next week as mine won't be here. I wonder if HD would cut me a deal on another saw since I need one & the other one is lost/stolen. Had my eye on a better saw with LED cut line.

I overdid it on lifting today so my back hates me.

Didn’t know if I should put this here or in the jokes. It certainly started to feel like one.

1) Thursday I ordered a window a/c online from lowes. The one I wanted wasn’t in stock locally so I had to order online for delivery to the store. Order process went smoothly. I got a confirmation email.

2) Yesterday I checked for a shipping update, an email from lowes said ‘order canceled’. No reason listed so I called the 800 number to find out details. Of course it took ages in their automated phone system before I got an option for a call back... in 39min. I waited, they called. She said my bank rejected the charge, suspected fraud…

3) So, I called my bank, fought my way through their automated system, 5min for next available. Said ‘it was suspected fraud’. I cleared that up… no fraud, and don’t pull that crap again!!!!! (I learned later she gave me false info)…

4) I called lows again to make sure of how to proceed since the card issue was cleared up. First the wonderful autosys, then 11min wait. Then a lady told me… now you can just place a new order.

Wouldn’t suggestions for problem resolution be great on… I don’t know… the 2nd email!!! Or the 4th? :dunno:

5) So, back to the website and placed the order, went smoothly…

But this one day order delay moved the shipping date from next week to week after next!!

6) couple hrs later I check my email, 2 messages from lows. One-new order being processed, great! Two-new order canceled… again!!!!!! 🤬🤬

7) called my bank, again, this time I had to even wait for them to call me back!!!

8) This lady passed me to a manager, I was (bleeping) angry!!! The manager told me they didn’t reject the charge either time… lows sent the charge, then moments later canceled the charge on each occasion. Said lowes sent them a ‘suspected fraud’ message each time.

9) Called lows,,, autosys… then the message ‘Service center is closed’ ‘Open 8:30 am’… MY backside! @#$%%$#@#$%*** :waiting:

10) So I went to the homer despot website. The same ac unit was $50 cheaper, should’ve checked but the store is a pain to get to, across the big town. I went through the checkout process. Thought I was being smart, used paypal this time. Everything was going smoothly. Got the paypal confirmation page then right back to homer website. I placed the order. At least I pressed the link, got a message…

“No order associated with this user” All my contact and shipping/billing data on the left. The correct item and price on the right. This asssssssss 9 message… ‘no order’! And after I paid for it!!! 🤬🤬

11) Took a long walk…. 😵‍💫

12) I called homer, long autosys...then a 9min wait for the next available… but at least they were open late. Got a nice lady who was excellent, went right to the problem. This girl was very well trained. It still took several minutes, I had to interact from my phone. Finally got to the very end of the process… then the phone center dropped my call!!! View attachment 108436

At this point I started laughing…. How *.* hard can it be buy an air conditioner?? 🤣

If I had the parts I could have to build one by now!!! Seriously!

13) I called again, autosys then a 6min wait for next available. Got a different lady but just as good, seriously, very well trained. First thing… gave delivery to my address and 5% off for my difficulty. They are aware of their phone system problems.

Took longer but she stayed on until I got several email confirmations, including from ppl. It’s ordered!! $100 cheaper than the other big box store and delivery to my door next tuesday.

Now I wonder how hard it will be to actually getting my hands on the a/c...:rolleyes:

View attachment 108435
Sounds remarkably like my last order from CHEWY, I am no longer a customer. Chewy can (REDACTED)

What's wrong with chewy? My wife loves that site?
WAY overpriced, twice they " lost" my order then tried to say my card was no good!! They fixed things the first time and I got my order THREE WEEKS later! After a hassle the next time I told them where they could stick my order!!

Sounds remarkably like my last order from CHEWY, I am no longer a customer. Chewy can (REDACTED)

The last lady I spoke with... there was a lot of wait time in the process so we chatted about this and that.

She was apologetic at the start thinking I only had issues ordering from homer despot. During the chat I told her about lowes and that ordeal. She couldn't help but laugh when she heard the entire story. She was rolling... I'm sure she shared my saga with co-workers.

I have to admit, this was the most trouble I've had ordering anything in my life.

Big picture, I think this ordeal reflects the entire system breaking down. Hasn't broken yet, frayed badly though. Got a feeling that when it does snap it'll be very quick and catch the average joe unaware and unprepared.

I've spent several grand the last few months getting odds and ends, those things I always think about buying but never do... thinking I'll do it later. Well, later has arrived, imho...

The sad part of that story is that the employees don't care. I look online, if it's in the store, I buy it. Can pay for it online, and go to the curbside and they load it if it's something heavy. Husband shops like that all the time because he's not very mobile, and we just picked up a new hand held shower head that he thought he'd like better, and told me to drive him there. Does the same for random stuff he wants at Walmart, since it's difficult for him to go into a store and shop.

A friend of mine purchased a 3 months supply of dog food from Chewy. The day before the shipment arrived, their dog tragically died. The friend called Chewy to cancel the order, but instead of taking the product back, they credited the full amount of the food back onto her credit card, and told her to just donate the food to a local animal shelter in the name of her lost pet. A week later, she also received a condolences card from the company, signed by their office staff.

IMHO, I will support Chewy for ever based on their support for my friend and the untimely death of her beloved dog.

A friend of mine purchased a 3 months supply of dog food from Chewy. The day before the shipment arrived, their dog tragically died. The friend called Chewy to cancel the order, but instead of taking the product back, they credited the full amount of the food back onto her credit card, and told her to just donate the food to a local animal shelter in the name of her lost pet. A week later, she also received a condolences card from the company, signed by their office staff.

IMHO, I will support Chewy for ever based on their support for my friend and the untimely death of her beloved dog.
I think people need to separate Chewy from the people that don't want to have to deliver "dog food"...
See how many blue boxes dumped in the woods in this photo say 'Chewy' on them.
Did Chewy do anything wrong?
No:
fedex-litter-comp-2.jpg

Last edited:
Chewy "Identified" a "problem" with my credit card, that my local bank didn't find and I had used for YEARS with Chewy. When I called their number, they claimed to have straightened out the issue. Next order SAME ISSUE. I asked them to CALL ME to fix it, they refused, so I told em to stuff it up their REDACTED. Now I am banned from their site :p.

I had completely forgotten how Chewy did the same thing for me when our dog died. Exact same situation except it was a Rx. They said to give it to an animal rescue or my local vet.
They even sent a card.

I've never ordered from Chewy but it sounds like a mixed bag of experiences.

So, I got a text claiming to be from UPS saying my order couldn't be shipped because the duty wasn't paid. I never gave UPS my number so I'm pretty sure its bogus. On their site they say my package was never checked in to their UPS center. I told the HomeDepot associate that it must have grown legs and walked off. HD employee thinks it will arrive at some point. I think it was stolen. However, they did credit me $70 on the order because I won't have the saw in time for the work tomorrow. I can use that toward getting a different saw that is in stock at HD. Already ordered it and will pick it up in the morning. The bundle I got was for the miter saw (retail value around $150) and the quickstand (retail value around $170) and it came out to just under $130 (before the additional $70 refund). So, I'm essentially getting the stand for $50+ and the new saw was just under $180. More than I wanted to pay but IF the other saw ever shows up I can sell it on marketplace for $100 or $120 or so. Or I can see how much the pawn shop would offer for it. Probably get more from marketplace.

I was only going to get $60 discount but asked if I'd be pushing it to request $70. Also, I am a complete and total monkey with mortar and I made a huge mess doing the 2nd round of mudding with it. It didn't set up as fast because I used icewater instead of room temperature water, but I just suck at spreading it. LOL. My back and arms really hate me. The upside is, if things go well tomorrow, I will have a working shower by Tuesday. But I'm having a hard time finding some of my stuff. I thought i knew where it was and now it disappeared on me.

Like I was telling @snappy1
Adulting is weird now because most of us here are usually older than those we speak to, doing business with, and there are all kinds of communication breakdowns. Can be funny, or frustrating. I usually have to ask them to repeat what they said because they are not American born. Even if they are white bread, I can't always catch what they say, no clear enunciation, sounds like fast mumbling.
Like the other night at a chicken wings place. Finally a woman my age came to the register to take over. They didn't even have my name right. It is not that hard. Once home, my order wasn't right. 🙄 All I ordered were fries, light on the seasoning. Nope, dump as much on as possible, and they were almost cold but I only waited for the order less than 5 minutes...so never again.

Adulting is weird now because most of us here are usually older than those we speak to, doing business with, and there are all kinds of communication breakdowns.

A "communication breakdown" that is really a hot button for me is when I say "Thank You" and the reply I get is "No Problem". Where did that come from? I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. The proper response is "You're Welcome". To me No Problem sounds dismissive and disrespectful. My rant for the day. gaah

Latest posts

Back