Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...lol I don't know what a Oreo cow is either....I do know what a Holstein looks like ( my aunt had a few when I was growing up)
Just like an oreo cookie. Black in the front a solid white band all the way around the middle between the front and back legs, and black in the back. They can also have red instead of black occasionally. Basically, three stripes going around the cow.

Holstein colors fit together like puzzle pieces.

Can openers. My favorite (back up) that will open the hard to do cans. Just a couple of bucks in the camping section of many stores. With a string through the end, you could secure it anywhere and have it. IMO, should be one in every vehicle and place where food is stored. For doing many cans or if I couldn’t use my hands I would definitely prefer a Swing Away, but you can’t beat these military style openers.
image.jpg

Can openers. My favorite (back up) that will open the hard to do cans. Just a couple of bucks in the camping section of many stores. With a string through the end, you could secure it anywhere and have it. IMO, should be one in every vehicle and place where food is stored. For doing many cans or if I couldn’t use my hands I would definitely prefer a Swing Away, but you can’t beat these military style openers.View attachment 109726
I think it is a P-38.
I got mine in 1980 at Fort Jackson Firing range for M16.
After being one of the first to Qualify, I was sent to fill/load magazines for other trainees. Then we open C-rations for lunch, from large cases. They had P-38's in the bottom of the case, we gave them to the Sargent, one fell in to my pocket some how!????!
Most useful thing I got from Ft. Jackson.

This is my go-to buddy.
I love it because you can open a big can of beans, snap the top back on and stick it in the fridge :thumbs:.
https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-76606ZA-Automatic-Standard-Size/dp/B00T4RH8E6?th=1
81XnuXLdAHL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Opening cans for 15 years, still works flawlessly, and only $32 today :thumbs:.
(And for my prepper friends, yes I still have a hand-crank one.... in mint-condition :rolleyes:).
We have one just like that. It stopped opening cans. Took the cutter off and removed the small flat washer behind it and it works like new.

Last edited:
This is my go-to buddy.
I love it because you can open a big can of beans, snap the top back on and stick it in the fridge :thumbs:.
https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-76606ZA-Automatic-Standard-Size/dp/B00T4RH8E6?th=1
81XnuXLdAHL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Opening cans for 15 years, still works flawlessly, and only $32 today :thumbs:.
(And for my prepper friends, yes I still have a hand-crank one.... in mint-condition :rolleyes:).
That is EXACTLY the one I had that broke (cats kept knocking it down) but we just got a new one of the same kind. I loved it so much I wanted the same one. If not for the cats it probably would have lasted a long time. I do have a hand crank one as well.
I would end up cutting myself with it because I'm such an uncoordinated monkey.
I've been thinking of getting that style for when the power is out.
Wish I could find wall mount can openers that are not too expensive. Or even one that could be bolted to a shelf on the wall... LOL.

Been busy today. Body hates me. I had a hard time moving around this morning. Mom panicked because I was outside cleaning some trash out of the truck and turning it around to make it easier for her to get in. Apparently she was paging me on the phone's intercom and I wasn't responding. She yelled at me when I came in. She thought her appointment was earlier than it was.

I wasted some trim by cutting it and deciding it wouldn't fit. Also tried cutting some trim and it came out crooked so it had to be scrapped.

That is EXACTLY the one I had that broke (cats kept knocking it down) but we just got a new one of the same kind. I loved it so much I wanted the same one. If not for the cats it probably would have lasted a long time. I do have a hand crank one as well.

I would end up cutting myself with it because I'm such an uncoordinated monkey.

I've been thinking of getting that style for when the power is out.
Wish I could find wall mount can openers that are not too expensive. Or even one that could be bolted to a shelf on the wall... LOL.

Been busy today. Body hates me. I had a hard time moving around this morning. Mom panicked because I was outside cleaning some trash out of the truck and turning it around to make it easier for her to get in. Apparently she was paging me on the phone's intercom and I wasn't responding. She yelled at me when I came in. She thought her appointment was earlier than it was.

I wasted some trim by cutting it and deciding it wouldn't fit. Also tried cutting some trim and it came out crooked so it had to be scrapped.
DW has one she loves, I use the old style that Grandmother had.
You turn the "T" handle on the side to cut the lid, she likes the new style better.

Just one of those annoying things: we have a metal fabrication shop. In 5 years, we've had one female inquire about it as a career and quickly decided it wasn't for her. (She came in full hair, nails, make-up, skinny jeans etc.) It's all men. I am the only female (I'm not a welder) here. Anything that arrives in the way of supplies has a picture on it has a gal. Today's episode features a blond gal with her hair down wearing the kind of earplugs I ordered :rolleyes:
*On a funny note, I was harassing the guys that they might need to change their pronouns to use the earplugs 😂 They responded I should have ordered men's earplugs. (We all harass each other regularly - makes for a fun crew.)

Just one of those annoying things: we have a metal fabrication shop. In 5 years, we've had one female inquire about it as a career and quickly decided it wasn't for her. (She came in full hair, nails, make-up, skinny jeans etc.) It's all men. I am the only female (I'm not a welder) here. Anything that arrives in the way of supplies has a picture on it has a gal. Today's episode features a blond gal with her hair down wearing the kind of earplugs I ordered :rolleyes:
*On a funny note, I was harassing the guys that they might need to change their pronouns to use the earplugs 😂 They responded I should have ordered men's earplugs. (We all harass each other regularly - makes for a fun crew.)
Those gals are jealous of your beach pic!!

I got up on top of the tub to line up some of the side trim I've been messing with. Discovered this:
1686271806019.png

My friend was feeling sick when he put it up so he didn't get it aligned properly. I couldn't see the gap from standing on the floor or inside the tub. If I had only looked sooner, I could have moved it down before the adhesive cured. Now I have to tear it off, hope it doesn't ruin the wall behind it, and put it back on. Don't think I'll mess with the adhesive but will use brad nails.

I'm kicking myself but I thought my friend got it on straight. I should have realized he was feeling too sick and not had him put up that piece.

@zannej that reminds me of screwing up the floor on my stock trailer. I was in too much of a hurry to cut straight and square and ended up with ugly 3/4 inch gaps! Sometimes I'm irritated by myself?

But my latest rant is my broken harbor freight splitting maul. Sucker broke after ten years and about thirty cords of wood. When I bought a replacement, the gal told me that it comes with a "lifetime" warranty. I said "well my last one failed and that's why I'm buying this one". She said " you should have brought it with you and we'd exchange it ". " Well, I will bring it in with my next trip to town ". Most city folks don't understand the distances of folks living on the fringe?

And why can it be that you can't buy a handle for the relative price? The whole thing is only $25. But to buy a handle only is $35? What a wasteful society we've become? It seems impossible economically...

FarmOR I am sad by the thing breaking and I agree about how wasteful society is now. Refills & replacement parts cost almost as much as the actual items. So many things are built to fall apart.

I decided to just fill in the gap because I'm pretty sure I will ruin the wall trying to take the trim off. It will be easier to fill in the gap. I'm too short to see it when I'm in the shower.

I was also annoyed that they put the protective wrap for my surround on the wrong side-- back instead of front and they put a big sticker on the front that left some paper & residue. I had misplaced my mineral spirits but the good news is it worked great to get adhesive off.

I went to samsclub and got 2 more cases of water & my back hates me for it.

OK, I've been set off, triggered and enabled here.
If you're nonreligious, nonwhite and ultra-right conservative, I'm not talking to you, stop reading and find another thread, Asians and Hispanics can go too, I'm going to yell at some I call my own, mighty whitey, god-fearing, gun-owning, Trump-voting, land-owning generally decent, good people! people that raise strong families and build communities.
WE have let this crap happen to us!
We have turned a blind eye, got along to get along, and let it go far too long.
Back in the 50's, we should have listened to Hoover, THERE REALLY WERE COMMIES UNDER EVERY BED!
Back in the 60's, we should have become MORE moral, not less.
Back in the 70's, we should have cared more about Our rights as humans and NOT ethnic groups individually.
Back in the 80's, we should NEVER have the war on drugs, it was a war on us. Let Darwin play dammit!
Back in the 90's We should have never burned albums or books, it makes people curious as to what they said!
THIS and so much more we should have nipped in the bud, deported it, burned it with fire, or whatever. Now I love Christians, I used to be one before I actually read my bible, YOU GUYS are the de-facto moral compass, Now I know you're thinking, "Now Magus, you hypocrite! you're a Pagan!" Damn straight, but we have morals, many in common in fact. We don't normally marry unless it's outside our path, but to have a child and not partake in his upkeep and life is a disgrace, but really, a kid shouldn't interact much with its father until he's ten years old, but he should ALWAYS be there, especially for a daughter! All you women, you might not believe it, but you're all aspects of the mother goddess, we would live and die by your command! But yeah. We pagans take care of our own you see, if it's a problem, it is made to go away and nobody ever speaks of it again. But back to the kids. A child has THREE mothers really, the one who birthed it, the one who birthed her, and the one who birthed the father, they have the function of teaching life skills, spirituality, and morality, your elders were your fortune! NOW we warehouse them and wait on them to die so we can collect the insurance and whatever the state left us in the will. STOP IT! Our culture, heritage, and children are being destroyed over this! The only reason they should be put away is because they have major health issues or dementia, and even then you need to make it a point to visit or at least call! if nothing else, they're a lifetime ahead of you, go learn stuff! Now where am I going with this? RIGHT TO HELL WITH THE REST OF Y'ALL if you even believe such a thing exists. we have let the few override the will of the many for FAR too long in the name of "RIGHTS" and "equality" NATURE/God/ gods made some of us naturally better than others, it's life, get over it. those of like mind should gather together and shun ANYTHING they don't agree with! Morality and spirituality begin at home, but we no longer have homes, do we? we rent from the state in the form of taxes, we have to kiss the homeowner's commission's butt to put up a damn mailbox, gods help you for growing a garden or miss a weekend mowing the yard! you own NOTHING but what you can pick up and walk away with! and NOW they've taken your kids! Michelle is learning to be a clam diver and little Billy spells his name with an "i" now and has a rainbow dye job. Where do we finally say "NO!" When we no longer can? it's almost there! You don't make peace with a bear trying to eat you, you stick a knife in it until it stops moving!
Make the problem go away and never speak of it again! You'll sleep much better and your kids will grow up free!

OK, flame on.

Just one? They are so inexpensive. I see them at Army-Navy surplus stores and have several.
With a string through the end, you could secure it anywhere and have it. IMO, should be one in every vehicle and place where food is stored. For doing many cans or if I couldn’t use my hands I would definitely prefer a Swing Away, but you can’t beat these military style openers.
Tootsie, I would want to use something more secure than string. A sturdy ring for keys would be my preference.

I agree, one in every vehicle, but one in every backpack, go bag, suitcase, overnight bag, purse, etc. I should get some for Christmas stockings this year. I often have lighters, toothbrushes, lip protection, mints, gum... but one of these would be great to give all of our Christmas guests.

Or how much caulk to fill the gap? Just kidding, that would not be the right way to do it, but you know someone would do it that way.
My friend suggested just filling it in with caulk but that is way too big of a gap for caulk. I've decided not to tear it down because I'm certain it will delaminate the wall above. That stuff peels off fairly easily and I'd rather not have to paint that area. My mother was looking at it and envies how pretty the blue stripes are. Her bathroom has green instead.
Anyway, I've found that if I use some of the scrap cut-offs from the pvc boards I've been able to cram them in to some of the gaps to lessen the amount of caulk. I've also found that I can use the tear-away strips from the L-bead trim to cover gaps. That one gap is a bit wide, so I'll have to see what I can figure out for covering it. I can always cut off more chunks of pvc board as filler. And I have some straight flat trim that can go over as well.

My rant is the inefficient US Postal Service.
I bought an item from a company in CT. As most of you know I live in Washington State.
Here is the tracking information.
I think I'll mail myself to CT so I can vacation in San Juan PR like my package did.

Processing at Destination
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
SPOKANE WA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 10, 2023, 12:27 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
June 9, 2023, 10:46 am

In Transit to Next Facility
June 9, 2023, 7:17 am
June 9, 2023, 4:01 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
BOISE ID DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 9, 2023, 2:45 am
June 9, 2023, 2:03 am
June 8, 2023, 10:31 pm
Departed USPS Facility
WEST VALLEY CITY, UT 84119
June 8, 2023, 7:52 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
June 8, 2023, 9:08 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
CAROLINA, PR 00984
June 7, 2023, 7:28 pm
SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 7, 2023, 7:23 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
CAROLINA, PR 00984
June 7, 2023, 5:42 am
Departed USPS Facility
CHICOPEE, MA 01022
June 6, 2023, 11:54 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
CHICOPEE, MA 01022
June 6, 2023, 6:18 am
SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 6, 2023, 5:43 am
June 6, 2023, 5:37 am
June 6, 2023, 5:18 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
June 6, 2023, 12:23 am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
NEW MILFORD, CT 06776
June 5, 2023, 11:08 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
NEW MILFORD, CT 06776
June 5, 2023, 3:46 pm
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item
June 5, 2023

My rant is the inefficient US Postal Service.
I bought an item from a company in CT. As most of you know I live in Washington State.
Here is the tracking information.
I think I'll mail myself to CT so I can vacation in San Juan PR like my package did.

Processing at Destination
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
June 10, 2023, 12:27 am

June 9, 2023, 10:46 am

June 9, 2023, 7:17 am
June 9, 2023, 4:01 am
June 9, 2023, 2:45 am
June 9, 2023, 2:03 am
June 8, 2023, 10:31 pm
Departed USPS Facility
June 8, 2023, 7:52 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
June 8, 2023, 9:08 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
CAROLINA, PR 00984
June 7, 2023, 7:28 pm
SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 7, 2023, 7:23 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
CAROLINA, PR 00984
June 7, 2023, 5:42 am
Departed USPS Facility
CHICOPEE, MA 01022
June 6, 2023, 11:54 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
CHICOPEE, MA 01022
June 6, 2023, 6:18 am
June 6, 2023, 5:43 am
June 6, 2023, 5:37 am
June 6, 2023, 5:18 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
June 6, 2023, 12:23 am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
NEW MILFORD, CT 06776
June 5, 2023, 11:08 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
NEW MILFORD, CT 06776
June 5, 2023, 3:46 pm
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item
June 5, 2023
If this wasn't so sad, I'd have to laugh!

Men feeling that they have a right to dictate whether or not I smile. Was out with a friend last night, hard enough being out having lost SO, but some random old guy came up and asked if I smiled. I told him no and he said that I should. Mind you I had seen this same man hit on multiple young women and but them shots etc. I felt like asking him if those lines really worked on women or if he was just a moron but I held my tongue. He lost interest very quickly when I refused to give more than a yes/no, shrug or flat out ignored his questions.

I've had them send my packages that originated in my state off to another state and back, but never to Puerto Rico. That's insane!
I gotta agree.
"SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 7, 2023, 7:23 pm":oops:
They must have wanted to claim: "overseas-postage" on that one:rolleyes:.

Men feeling that they have a right to dictate whether or not I smile. Was out with a friend last night, hard enough being out having lost SO, but some random old guy came up and asked if I smiled. I told him no and he said that I should. Mind you I had seen this same man hit on multiple young women and but them shots etc. I felt like asking him if those lines really worked on women or if he was just a moron but I held my tongue. He lost interest very quickly when I refused to give more than a yes/no, shrug or flat out ignored his questions.
I hear you. The other day a woman we know said man I had a rough day. All kinds of people calling, texting giving me a hard time. She said does that ever happen to you? I said no my wife is the only one that can give me any ****. Everyone else can **** off!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back