Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I'm mad at the world for how its changed me. It's made me mildly suspicious, (there's folks worse), overly worried, frustrated and sucks me into buying things I don't want, because of the words 'If something happened'. :confused2: Theres more, I'm sure, but I'm going to attack the compost heap and work it off.

Last edited:
Bought two heat guns from Harbor Freight & both burned up from a piece of plastic locking up the fan/blower, which burned up the heat gun. So both guns are bad.

The air vent lots worked as they should, but one of the bars had broken before purchase.
We did not notice the problem, until the guns (bought two guns)started over heating & stopped working, because the bar/clip locked up the gun fan.
I told the boss I could return them for a refund, he said throw them in the trash & go to Home Depot & buy one.
This is the first time a tool from HF has let me down, all other tools are preforming as advertised
Yes I will still buy from HF, I have tools that are close to twenty year old from HF, like a 20 ton hydronic jack & combo vise.

My damn neighbor's coyote/dog can weasel under the door and get in my hooch! the ONLY reason it's still alive is it's leaving my cats alone. That and I'd break expensive stuff shooting it with the judge.

How to Get Rid of Black Widows Naturally​

• Essential Oils – Black widows are sensitive to some strong odors so using certain essential oils can help deter black widow activity. Lemon, tea tree, and peppermint are all said to deter black widows.
  • Vinegar – Vinegar is too acidic for black widows and any contact with the substance can be deadly. Mixing vinegar with water and spraying down areas where black widow webs and egg sacs are found will help keep populations low.
  • Vacuum – Cleaning out webs using a vacuum is a good way to remove black widows’ homes and source of food.
  • Cleaning – Black widows are attracted to places where food and shelter are available. By removing places for black widows to hide and keeping areas free of other pests by cleaning up, black widows won’t find a suitable place to build a home.
https://www.ecoguardpestmanagement....nd peppermint,will help keep populations low.New one for me,, never heard of the vinegar.

How to Get Rid of Black Widows Naturally​

• Essential Oils – Black widows are sensitive to some strong odors so using certain essential oils can help deter black widow activity. Lemon, tea tree, and peppermint are all said to deter black widows.
  • Vinegar – Vinegar is too acidic for black widows and any contact with the substance can be deadly. Mixing vinegar with water and spraying down areas where black widow webs and egg sacs are found will help keep populations low.
  • Vacuum – Cleaning out webs using a vacuum is a good way to remove black widows’ homes and source of food.
  • Cleaning – Black widows are attracted to places where food and shelter are available. By removing places for black widows to hide and keeping areas free of other pests by cleaning up, black widows won’t find a suitable place to build a home.
https://www.ecoguardpestmanagement....nd peppermint,will help keep populations low.New one for me,, never heard of the vinegar.
 Most of mine are outside so it's wasp spray for them!! I got bit back in 2008 in the house!☹️ I feel like there are enough scorpions in the house🙄to keep the spiders out, but I guess some manage to live!! Thanks for the article Joel!

My garden is coming along, BUT the darn chipmunks are raiding my tomato plants. :mad:

Any good ideas on how to keep chipmunks out of a raised bed? Shooting them is not a very good option b/c I don't have enough time to sit outdoors like Elmer Fudd just waiting for them to come out. They also don't raid it every day......just enough to pizz me off.

I don't know about chipmunks, but I am putting a dent in the mice eating my garden. I put out a variety of traps. Tin cats, rat traps and a few bucket traps. Peanut butter is working for bait.
I figure if I can't keep them out of the garden, there will at least be a few less trying to move into the house this fall.

Five mice yesterday and no plant casualties. I haven't checked yet today.

My garden is coming along, BUT the darn chipmunks are raiding my tomato plants. :mad:

Any good ideas on how to keep chipmunks out of a raised bed? Shooting them is not a very good option b/c I don't have enough time to sit outdoors like Elmer Fudd just waiting for them to come out. They also don't raid it every day......just enough to pizz me off.
Mole beans.AKA the castor plant. make sure it's legal in your area! nothing that burrows will go near it, even some bugs!

Today I'm mad at the world for how its changed me. It's made me mildly suspicious, (there's folks worse), overly worried, frustrated and sucks me into buying things I don't want, because of the words 'If something happened'. :confused2: Theres more, I'm sure, but I'm going to attack the compost heap and work it off.
I figure if their sales tactic uses fear as the motivation to buy I don’t need it.

My rant is the inefficient US Postal Service.
I bought an item from a company in CT. As most of you know I live in Washington State.
Here is the tracking information.
I think I'll mail myself to CT so I can vacation in San Juan PR like my package did.

Processing at Destination
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
SPOKANE WA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 10, 2023, 12:27 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SPOKANE WA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 9, 2023, 10:46 am

In Transit to Next Facility
June 9, 2023, 7:17 am
June 9, 2023, 4:01 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
BOISE ID DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 9, 2023, 2:45 am
BOISE ID DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 9, 2023, 2:03 am
June 8, 2023, 10:31 pm
Departed USPS Facility
WEST VALLEY CITY, UT 84119
June 8, 2023, 7:52 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
WEST VALLEY CITY, UT 84119
June 8, 2023, 9:08 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
CAROLINA, PR 00984
June 7, 2023, 7:28 pm
SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 7, 2023, 7:23 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
CAROLINA, PR 00984
June 7, 2023, 5:42 am
Departed USPS Facility
CHICOPEE, MA 01022
June 6, 2023, 11:54 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
CHICOPEE, MA 01022
June 6, 2023, 6:18 am
SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
June 6, 2023, 5:43 am
June 6, 2023, 5:37 am
June 6, 2023, 5:18 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
June 6, 2023, 12:23 am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
NEW MILFORD, CT 06776
June 5, 2023, 11:08 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
NEW MILFORD, CT 06776
June 5, 2023, 3:46 pm
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item
June 5, 2023
My husband ordered 2 sets of these at the same time, in the same order number. One arrived this morning, the other hasn’t gotten here yet. 😏
IMG_8550.png

ABR, that dude sounded creepy. I've heard a lot of women have had random men come up and tell them they should smile, but it never happened to me. I would have told them they need to mind their own business. At least he went away. Some guys get aggressive.

I almost moved to Puerto Rico once but we didn't get that transfer. Ended up in Singapore instead. I don't regret that. Hope you get your stuff soon.

I've heard black widows are losing their spots because the ones that are easily identified are being killed off.

Speaking of wasp spray-- I have mud wasps and other wasps building on my porch. I sprayed one of the nests in the day but they came back. I also have one down at the workshop right above where I walk. Best time to get them is at night when they are sleeping, but its dark & hard to see and I've been sleeping when it was time to do it. Might do it tonight.

Friend didn't read messages or reply at all yesterday and when he replied to me today he said he couldn't come out bc his gf is depressed. Found out one of her dogs that her ex kept died. Jerk didn't even have the decency to tell her. He told my male friend's ex and told her not to tell them, but the ex felt they should know. Claimed the dog was fine when he left for work but was dead when he got home. No other details than that other than that. She really loved that dog and it was the last one related to her other dog that was poisoned by a neighbor in the trailer park. (That creep not only poisoned her dogs-- but he would put out food with rat poison in it and lure animals over; when that wasn't enough for him, he trespassed in another person's yard to put poisoned food in their puppy kennel to kill all of their puppies. I have never in my life seriously contemplated murder of a stranger so much.) I completely understand why he needed to be with her. I'm going to see if I can get my tablesaw set up by myself-- but I need to find an 8mm box wrench, 13mm box wrench, 8mm socket wrench, and 13mm socket wrench. I got it unboxed and used a magnifying glass to read the instructions, but will need to find the tools before I proceed.

Meanwhile, a few weeks back I got my finger pinched in something. It didn't really bother me at first but it started bugging me after I sprayed primer on stuff. It's still bugging me. If I press down with it, I get this unpleasant sensation in my fingertip. It doesn't hurt, but it feels super annoying. Sort of tingling like its going to stay numb.

MFR of my air fryer said it might take 3 weeks to get a new air fryer sent. I've also been getting text messages from the local hospital telling me its not too late to pay my bill. I don't owe them anything. I have no bill with them. I haven't been a patient there since 2009. It might be a scam, but it annoyed me. I sent back a message telling them I don't owe and to stop. Then just followed up with Stop to tell them to discontinue messages. Deleted them after that.

ABR, that dude sounded creepy. I've heard a lot of women have had random men come up and tell them they should smile, but it never happened to me. I would have told them they need to mind their own business. At least he went away. Some guys get aggressive.
Unfortunately I'm used to dealing with old creeps. I apparently scowl a lot and my eyes freak some people out when I deadpan and just stare them in the eye silently. Obviously he must have some success with his tactics though, otherwise he wouldn't keep using them. I just don't understand people thinking that they have a right to comment on random strangers facial expressions. My biggest pet peeve though is when people touch me without permission. He tapped my arm to get my attention when I was ignoring him waving his hand at me before he said anything to me.

Ugh. I'm glad that guys don't hit on me anymore. I hated when it happened when I was younger. Always made me feel uncomfortable and some of them would not listen when I said "No". So glad that I've gotten older and fat so I don't have to deal with that anymore. That "technique" may not work but some guys keep trying stuff like that because they have been taught or they somehow believe it is the way to do things. I remember seeing a very creepy article from an incel about how to approach women with headphones in. It was addressed to other incels. It basically said women owe men attention & that men shouldn't accept rejection or being ignored. Said if you see a woman jogging or walking with headphones, try to get her attention. If she doesn't respond you should step in her path and block her. If she tries to walk around, keep stepping in front of her and blocking her path and demand she listen to you. Order her to take her headphones out. Claimed she would be "excited" and "happy" that a guy was paying attention to her. Said don't let her leave until she's heard what you have to say-- she owes you that much. I thought it was satire or making fun of guys, but no, it was a serious article. And the cover photo for the article was of a woman with her back to a fence, leaning as far back as she could without falling over, with her arms up in front of her in a guarded position, and a guy leaning toward her with his hands on the fence on either side of her trapping her there. From her face & body language she was uncomfortable and wanted to get away. Sadly, there are guys who have been taught that women want to be dominated, they play hard to get and really want to be hunted/pursued like prey. The response to that article from women was not very flattering to the writer. I really don't get the people who feel they are entitled to other people's attention or to tell them what to do. It's one thing when its family (but still not cool) but another when its a complete stranger. But they are taught to feel this way.

There are some women who like to play "hard-to-get" because they have been taught to do it. And some like to have guys fighting over them (my friend's psycho ex likes to get people to fight over her-- something she was taught by her adopted mom) but I'd say most women don't. Unfortunately, there are guys who think all or most women are like that.

And we have hit on one of my many pet peeves. LOL.

I've heard there are guys who try a "push-pull" technique and something called "negging". Where the pretty much tear women down and then try to hit on them. For women who are drunk, on drugs, or have super low self esteem/vulnerable it sometimes works.

I think I need stronger allergy meds. Supposed to last 24hrs. I took them less than 12hrs ago and am already sneezing. Still waiting for my friend to say when he's available to come help me. If I could physically do what needs to be done by myself, I'd do it. But I lack the coordination and strength. It's very humbling and frustrating at the same time.

I've heard there are guys who try a "push-pull" technique and something called "negging". Where the pretty much tear women down and then try to hit on them. For women who are drunk, on drugs, or have super low self esteem/vulnerable it sometimes works.
Really, does that work??
The farm girls I grew up with rode horse, carried fire wood into the house.
"Push-pull" would not work on them.

I almost moved to Puerto Rico once but we didn't get that transfer. Ended up in Singapore instead. I don't regret that. Hope you get your stuff soon.

I've heard black widows are losing their spots because the ones that are easily identified are being killed off.

Speaking of wasp spray-- I have mud wasps and other wasps building on my porch. I sprayed one of the nests in the day but they came back. I also have one down at the workshop right above where I walk. Best time to get them is at night when they are sleeping, but its dark & hard to see and I've been sleeping when it was time to do it. Might do it tonight.

Friend didn't read messages or reply at all yesterday and when he replied to me today he said he couldn't come out bc his gf is depressed. Found out one of her dogs that her ex kept died. Jerk didn't even have the decency to tell her. He told my male friend's ex and told her not to tell them, but the ex felt they should know. Claimed the dog was fine when he left for work but was dead when he got home. No other details than that other than that. She really loved that dog and it was the last one related to her other dog that was poisoned by a neighbor in the trailer park. (That creep not only poisoned her dogs-- but he would put out food with rat poison in it and lure animals over; when that wasn't enough for him, he trespassed in another person's yard to put poisoned food in their puppy kennel to kill all of their puppies. I have never in my life seriously contemplated murder of a stranger so much.) I completely understand why he needed to be with her. I'm going to see if I can get my tablesaw set up by myself-- but I need to find an 8mm box wrench, 13mm box wrench, 8mm socket wrench, and 13mm socket wrench. I got it unboxed and used a magnifying glass to read the instructions, but will need to find the tools before I proceed.

Meanwhile, a few weeks back I got my finger pinched in something. It didn't really bother me at first but it started bugging me after I sprayed primer on stuff. It's still bugging me. If I press down with it, I get this unpleasant sensation in my fingertip. It doesn't hurt, but it feels super annoying. Sort of tingling like its going to stay numb.

MFR of my air fryer said it might take 3 weeks to get a new air fryer sent. I've also been getting text messages from the local hospital telling me its not too late to pay my bill. I don't owe them anything. I have no bill with them. I haven't been a patient there since 2009. It might be a scam, but it annoyed me. I sent back a message telling them I don't owe and to stop. Then just followed up with Stop to tell them to discontinue messages. Deleted them after that.
I had a neighbor poison my cat many years ago. It was awful. The cat basically suffocated. It was thrashing around in its carrier as I raced to the vet. She died just as I got there.

I had a neighbor poison my cat many years ago. It was awful. The cat basically suffocated. It was thrashing around in its carrier as I raced to the vet. She died just as I got there.
I won't say much, but if I knew who, there may a price to be paid.

Winds-of-Change, that is awful! Someone poisoned two of our dogs as well. Pretty sure it was the neighbors but never had proof.

My energy levels are still super low AND I'm still getting bills from the hospital for stuff I don't owe. There's a thing where if you get your blood taken at the doctor's office and pay then, it is paid in full. They have some sort of insurance or something through their office that pays the hospital. Well, hospital is claiming that I owe them $810 for bloodwork. When I checked at the hospital beforehand, they said getting blood tests there would be under $300 but if I went through doctor's office it would be under $100. So, even the hospital's estimate for the $ would be lower. I don't know what kind of BS they are trying to pull, but I flat out told them I didn't do business with them and don't owe anything as my invoice from the doctor's office shows I'm paid in full and doctor's office confirms that. Somehow they got my cellphone number and have been texting me. It's more of an inconvenience at this point, but I don't want them sending this to collections & affecting my credit score and having collections harass me over something I don't owe. Doctor's office staff told me they already talked to the hospital and told them I don't owe anything and to leave me alone.

Winds-of-Change, that is awful! Someone poisoned two of our dogs as well. Pretty sure it was the neighbors but never had proof.

My energy levels are still super low AND I'm still getting bills from the hospital for stuff I don't owe. There's a thing where if you get your blood taken at the doctor's office and pay then, it is paid in full. They have some sort of insurance or something through their office that pays the hospital. Well, hospital is claiming that I owe them $810 for bloodwork. When I checked at the hospital beforehand, they said getting blood tests there would be under $300 but if I went through doctor's office it would be under $100. So, even the hospital's estimate for the $ would be lower. I don't know what kind of BS they are trying to pull, but I flat out told them I didn't do business with them and don't owe anything as my invoice from the doctor's office shows I'm paid in full and doctor's office confirms that. Somehow they got my cellphone number and have been texting me. It's more of an inconvenience at this point, but I don't want them sending this to collections & affecting my credit score and having collections harass me over something I don't owe. Doctor's office staff told me they already talked to the hospital and told them I don't owe anything and to leave me alone.
I know you won't, but don't give in to their scare tactics!!

I had a yard project in 2020 that involved cleaning up a small area to park my small utility trailer. I had been collecting rocks and gravel in 5 gallon buckets to help the parking area. There were so many black spiders around that area that I thought were probably black widows. There were under the buckets, and under a pile of bricks I was using to put between the privacy fence and the raised beds to keep the boards from rotting. I haven't worked around the trailer since, but it just creeped me out, thinking they were probably black widows.

They tried to pull that stuff on me, and ended up sending me a big check:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/good-news-only.16249/post-483634

What about the Brown Widow Spider with yellow spots & a orange hourglass instead of red?
Or the Red Leg Widow spider with orange spots surrounded by white, with reddish legs?

NOTE: from page 40-41 of Peterson Field Guides, Venomous Animals & Poisonous Plants.

Last edited:
If spiders and ants were completely eradicated my world would be a better place!!
And fly's and mosquitos, lol.

And the cover photo for the article was of a woman with her back to a fence, leaning as far back as she could without falling over, with her arms up in front of her in a guarded position, and a guy leaning toward her with his hands on the fence on either side of her trapping her there. From her face & body language she was uncomfortable and wanted to get away. Sadly, there are guys who have been taught that women want to be dominated, they play hard to get and really want to be hunted/pursued like prey. The response to that article from women was not very flattering to the writer. I really don't get the people who feel they are entitled to other people's attention or to tell them what to do. It's one thing when its family (but still not cool) but another when its a complete stranger. But they are taught to feel this way.
And if she ends up getting sexually assaulted, it is her fault, and she lied about it.

Latest posts

Back