Reinforcing cabinets and making a work bench.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been working on extending the workbench on the side wall of the garage. I used unfinished kitchen cabinets for the base and 3/4" ply for the workbench. The original portion was made with the cheap Birch wood unfinished cabinets from Home Depot, but they were so poorly made I had to place corner blocks top and bottom and a 1x4 board inside the back wall to securely secure it to the wall. The Home Depot cabinets are 3/4" shorter than the new unfinished Oak cabinets I bought at Lowes so although I doubled the 3/4" ply for the original countertop the new portion will be a single layer of 3/4" ply with extra reinforcements where needed.
I took some photos of the last cabinet I reinforced and installed to give a good example I what I believe is needed for the lame pre-made big box store versions of so called affordable cabinets. Not all of what I have done is needed for all applications but the corner blocks and 1x4 I believe is a must if you want them to last.
I forgot to take a before picture but here is what I am working with....... it has already been reinforced, painted, and installed but I will cover those steps as I go.
1684717984345.png

I used 2x4's to reinforce and support the bottom of the cabinet. Since these cabinets have a fake wood grain plastic veneer I used 80 grit sandpaper to scuff it good and wood glue and 1 1/2" brad nails in a nail gun to hold things together.
1684718134176.png

A 1x4 was cut to length and glued and nailed inside the top of the back panel, I also glued and nailed the ends to reduce the chance of the entire back panel pulling loose. Lowes used those cheap plastic corner pieces on the top to provide lame anchor points for the countertop. I will mention more on those later.
1684718231535.png

Because this is the last cabinet and I will have a 10" overhang at the end I cut a 2x12 and glued and nailed it flush with the top of the cabinet to give me more places to glue and screw the counter top down at the end. I also glued and screwed a 2x4 on the outside top edge for the same reason.
1684718457269.png

1684718487102.png

1684718513554.png

This is the previous cabinet already installed with the end of the first 8' section of 3'4 ply installed. Washers were used when gluing and screwing on that 2x4 to reduce the chance of the screw pulling through the cheap particle board.
1684718607287.png

1684718652101.png

The last cabinet is placed and screwed to the wall using 3" construction screws. I spaced it far enough to store some water jugs under the counter and allow for the overhang of the 8' length of plywood at the far end. a 2x4 was screwed to the wall to further support the plywood and give me something to screw into. Everything on top was given a good amount of construction adhesive to glue down the plywood.
1684718847063.png

I learned why these screws were on clearance at Home Depot, they are a Phillips head and I had to keep swapping the bit in my drill driver because all the other construction screws I use have a torx bit head. Torx bits wont slip or spin in the head of a screw like Phillips heads do. I regret "saving" the money on these screws, they are not worth the hassle.
1684719143762.png

More to come in the next post.

he last section of plywood glued and screwed in place. I will add a 2x3 to the face to give it a finished edge and probably glue and screw another board under the front edge of the plywood for added strength and to make it easier for clamping something down to the workbench for various projects. The last part of the bench will also be doubled and have the same 2x3 edge for the same reason. I actually have a spare stair tread left over from building my stairway in the house. It is 1" by 12" of good quality OSB and when glued and screwed into place should make the workbench plenty strong but I am also considering an angle bracket off the back wall to further support the overhang. I am thinking of placing a wood working vice on the end so I want it to be plenty solid. Overkill will not be overkill in my opinion, if needed another angle bracket will be mounted off the side of the cabinet.
1684719658261.png

I used 2 part epoxy with some sawdust mixed in to fill any knot holes and cover the screw heads on the counter top. It will be sanded smooth and painted with oil based Rustoleum to protect the surface, make it easy to clean, and protect it from any chemicals, mainly oil and car chemicals like carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner.

I forgot to add, I glued shims under each cabinet where necessary to level and properly support each cabinet. I have walked on the original section with no problems, although I think I will avoid walking on the new section just to be safe. I think it will hold my weight but the first section has a rack higher up on the wall and I do not plan to have storage above this last section, aside from a sheet of finish sanded 1/2" plywood to hang tools on the back wall behind the bench. I also have an old wood book shelf I was considering cutting up for scrap, it is about 3' tall, originally used on top of a matching desk or cabinet, but I will paint it to match the cabinets and mount it to the top of the countertop for and use it automotive shop manuals, how-to books, and similar items so them kind of things can be readily found when needed.
I will update this thread as I make progress, but it has been a slow project as most of the work can't be done at 4 in the morning while the others are sleeping.

Thank you both. Ot has been a slow process. The first portion was a couple years ago and is working great. I decided to finally extend a few weeks ago. Still a work in progress and a learning curve but I am happy to share what I learned and know. These store bought cabinets are junk compared to what I used to build in the cabinet shops I worked in 30+ years ago but I think my improvements made the acceptable.

If you think Philpps head screws are bad then you would really hate square drive, like I used on my composite deck, I kept a bench grinder next to me to keep squaring up the drive bits, otherwise I'd probably gone through over a hundred bits. The only screws I'll buy anymore are the Torx screws, the drives never pop out and I've never broken a Torx drive or a screw so far, the screws are expensive but so is the loss of messed up drives and screws. You did good, considering what's available any more.

I have been working on extending the workbench on the side wall of the garage. I used unfinished kitchen cabinets for the base and 3/4" ply for the workbench. The original portion was made with the cheap Birch wood unfinished cabinets from Home Depot, but they were so poorly made I had to place corner blocks top and bottom and a 1x4 board inside the back wall to securely secure it to the wall. The Home Depot cabinets are 3/4" shorter than the new unfinished Oak cabinets I bought at Lowes so although I doubled the 3/4" ply for the original countertop the new portion will be a single layer of 3/4" ply with extra reinforcements where needed.
I took some photos of the last cabinet I reinforced and installed to give a good example I what I believe is needed for the lame pre-made big box store versions of so called affordable cabinets. Not all of what I have done is needed for all applications but the corner blocks and 1x4 I believe is a must if you want them to last.
I forgot to take a before picture but here is what I am working with....... it has already been reinforced, painted, and installed but I will cover those steps as I go.
View attachment 108835
I used 2x4's to reinforce and support the bottom of the cabinet. Since these cabinets have a fake wood grain plastic veneer I used 80 grit sandpaper to scuff it good and wood glue and 1 1/2" brad nails in a nail gun to hold things together.
View attachment 108836
A 1x4 was cut to length and glued and nailed inside the top of the back panel, I also glued and nailed the ends to reduce the chance of the entire back panel pulling loose. Lowes used those cheap plastic corner pieces on the top to provide lame anchor points for the countertop. I will mention more on those later.
View attachment 108837
Because this is the last cabinet and I will have a 10" overhang at the end I cut a 2x12 and glued and nailed it flush with the top of the cabinet to give me more places to glue and screw the counter top down at the end. I also glued and screwed a 2x4 on the outside top edge for the same reason.
View attachment 108838
View attachment 108839
View attachment 108840
This is the previous cabinet already installed with the end of the first 8' section of 3'4 ply installed. Washers were used when gluing and screwing on that 2x4 to reduce the chance of the screw pulling through the cheap particle board.
View attachment 108841
View attachment 108842
The last cabinet is placed and screwed to the wall using 3" construction screws. I spaced it far enough to store some water jugs under the counter and allow for the overhang of the 8' length of plywood at the far end. a 2x4 was screwed to the wall to further support the plywood and give me something to screw into. Everything on top was given a good amount of construction adhesive to glue down the plywood.
View attachment 108843
I learned why these screws were on clearance at Home Depot, they are a Phillips head and I had to keep swapping the bit in my drill driver because all the other construction screws I use have a torx bit head. Torx bits wont slip or spin in the head of a screw like Phillips heads do. I regret "saving" the money on these screws, they are not worth the hassle.
View attachment 108844

More to come in the next post.
That looks similar to the work benches that I made for my fur shed. I bought the cheap hickory cabinets from Home Depot and screwed them to the walls. For the top I bought the butcher block counter tops. They came out pretty nice.

If you think Philpps head screws are bad then you would really hate square drive, like I used on my composite deck, I kept a bench grinder next to me to keep squaring up the drive bits, otherwise I'd probably gone through over a hundred bits. The only screws I'll buy anymore are the Torx screws, the drives never pop out and I've never broken a Torx drive or a screw so far, the screws are expensive but so is the loss of messed up drives and screws. You did good, considering what's available any more.
While I also prefer the Torx drive Philips bit do NOT require the drive being coaxial with the screw. I was going through Philips bit regularly until I started using Milwaukee "wear guard tips".

20230523_183439.jpg

Ben

Last edited:
That looks similar to the work benches that I made for my fur shed. I bought the cheap hickory cabinets from Home Depot and screwed them to the walls. For the top I bought the butcher block counter tops. They came out pretty nice.
But, dang those butcher block countertops are way to expensive for a workbench, at least one that will have greasy car parts and other dirty stuff slammed around from time to time.

While I also prefer the Torx drive Philips bit do NOT require the drive being coaxial with the screw. I was going through Philips bit regularly until I started using Milwaukee "wear guard tips".

View attachment 108923

Ben
I agree, but my trouble is I am not always able to get a straight angle on the screw or someone else is helping while I am holding things together and they are not as experienced.
That being said when I first bought my property and was preparing to building my house I was making things in the yard, like a tree house for the kids and screwing rough saw timber I cut with the chainsaw down onto cut tree branches or stumps to make a few work benches and tables around the yard. I used Phillips head screws and sometimes that fresh cut wood was difficult to penetrate. A year later a friend pointed out the Torx bit screws and when using them everything was easier. Except for this one mistake, I never bought Phillips head screws again. The Torx bit grips so much better even if the angle from the bit to the screw is off a bit. I have yet to strip out a Torx bit screw head.

But, dang those butcher block countertops are way to expensive for a workbench, at least one that will have greasy car parts and other dirty stuff slammed around from time to time.
Yes they were. They may not see greasy car parts, but they do see a lot of greasy coons though.
There's 3 other cabinets besides what's in this picture.
20230523_165120.jpg

I added support to the end of the 3/4" ply workbench.
1685532141839.png

I added a 2"x3" face to the front of the workbench, construction adhesive, screws and nails to secure it in place.
1685532183667.png

I had to notch the front face so the drawers would open since the Lowes cabinets are 3/4" taller than the Home Depot cabinets I used on the first section of the bench. All the seems and gaps will get JB Weld clear epoxy to fill the gaps and later sanded smooth before the oil based Rustoleum paint. I plan to reinforce some more to mount this wood vice at the end of the bench.
1685532472132.png

Beyond this end of the bench will be rolling work benches and other storage options, for now. Maybe one day I will extend the bench to the back of the garage but for now I think 40 feet of bench top might be enough. The air line for the air compressor will also be run behind the cabinets and have a couple connections at the back end of the workbench in case I need to use air out the back door of the garage. For what I don't know but it will be there just in case.

The top of the workbench will be the same oil based Rustoleum grey as the front end of the workbench and the front 2x3 edge will be Rustoleum yellow to give it that Michigan Maize and Blue appearance. Wolverines!!!! (You know, both the U of M Wolverines and the movie Red Dawn Wolverines varieties.

I have a book shelf type cabinet top that will be mounted on top of part of this workbench to store mechanics manuals for my trucks. cars, and ATV's and other books so they have a safe home where I can find them when needed. I will post those pictures when it is painted and in place.

I still need a 5’ section of 2x6 back splash to the left of the shelves and a 4’ section of 1/2” sanded ply to the left of the shelves, and one last coat of yellow on the front edge, but here is my 40’ section of cabinets and work bench.
It’s a pano photo so very wide.

Attachments

• 52443599-6AAE-4559-82B9-AA229D33586F.jpeg
    52443599-6AAE-4559-82B9-AA229D33586F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I still need a 5’ section of 2x6 back splash to the left of the shelves and a 4’ section of 1/2” sanded ply to the left of the shelves, and one last coat of yellow on the front edge, but here is my 40’ section of cabinets and work bench.
It’s a pano photo so very wide.
Wow!

Does it really bend or is that an optical thing?

Wither way it is cool.

Ben

Latest posts

Back