Reusable items

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4021

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
As a person who lives on a small income, I look for ways to save money around my house. One of those ways is using reusable items around the house. The only one-use item I buy is toilet paper. I have kitchen towels, washcloths and rags from my old clothes for normal paper towel uses. Cloth napkins to replace paper and I use reusable freezer containers for storing everything. What does everyone else do that is reusable to save money? I have so many more examples, but I have to start work soon. Anyone one else have tips that we can use to save money around our homes and homesteads? I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For leftovers and "freezables", we use Mason jars. Disgusting cat barfs get a paper towel, everything else is a mop or rag/dishcloth. It's not unusual to see a "freezer ziplok" drying in the rack after it's been washed.

Last edited:
For leftovers and "freezables", we use Mason jars. Disgusting cat barfs get a paper towel, everything else is a mop or rag/dishcloth. It's not unusual to see a "freezer ziplok" drying in the rack after it's been washed.
Good morning, I have some Ziploc bags from the past that I reuse. Mostly use canning jars or food containers. They work great. I don't have any cats, but there are plenty cats around here. My aunt has several which is great to keep the mice away from the houses around here.

I greatly dislike the amount of paper and plastic waste in just bringing food products home, we strive to reduce those things because they can end up adding to the cost of your needs because you often end up having to pay for their disposal.

I greatly dislike the amount of paper and plastic waste in just bringing food products home, we strive to reduce those things because they can end up adding to the cost of your needs because you often end up having to pay for their disposal.

It is a never ending debate. Paper is biodegrable. Plastic is not. Which is better for the environment? I'm not taking sides either way. Packaging is a necessary evil. You have to put your goods into something to be able to sell at the retail level.

We do recycle Ziplok bags, but I guess we are selective in the process. If they have had food in them, and are messy they get pitched. If they have had something dry in them they will be reused. Do plastic grocery bags count. We get them by the dozens when we shop. Grocery stores still have paper bags, and we get them when we can. Almost everybody else uses plastic. I found a silly hack video that shows a method of folding them to reduce storage space. I have included them in our preps, and in our BOB's. I share quite a few with a good friend who uses at least two a day walking his dog.

I buy Tattler lids for my canning. At the time that I bought them they we a bit more expensive but I've had them for decades. In effect, I switched from a one time use to a multiple use item. Some of my Tattlers are 40 or 50 years old. A friend taught me to reuse canning lids. He also would reuse jars from store products, like salsa, as long as the the seal looked good.

I recycle Zip-Loc bags if they aren't a mess... and I save handy-sized containers & bottles for field use, especially aboard the thumper. I use one side of my saddlebags as a "cooler" for lunch, and I often take some cold milk with me to go with my sandwich, lol. I often use large sour cream containers (empty & washed) to temporarily store leftovers in my fridge. I have Tupperware containers too, but sometimes I have a lot of leftovers in the fridge, lol. I like leftovers! :)

Repurposing things goes another step past reusing. Mainly because lots of things can be no good anymore for their original purpose yet have lots of other useful purposes. Lots of the things I make out of old junk that was headed for a landfill when I saw another possible use for them.

Like using plastic coffee "cans" to hold odds & ends of hardware, lol... forgot to mention those earlier. :rolleyes:

Funny thing, whenever I move I take those cans with me (three of 'em), as it took decades to accrue all those odds & ends, and some of the hardware comes in handy for minor repair jobs around my home. No hardware store run required... :cool:

I also save many food containers, and prescription medicine bottles for the same purpose. Many loose odds and ends can be easily put into a small container, labeled and stored nicely. Loose hardware is a great example. I have used some unsuspecting medicine bottles to store ammunition. Use an opaque bottle like Tylenol, and you can't tell the difference (other than the weight) what is in it.

I reuse plastic containers from things like cottage cheese for seed starting. I save the plastic containers that I get seedlings in, plant my seeds in following years, and set those containers into the plastic cottage cheese (or yogurt or...) containers. It helps in the watering process.

One time someone set some plastic bins and lids on the curb. The bins and lids did not fit each other. I use those lids to set my seedlings on, again for watering purposes and ability to move them around more easily. The bins also worked for seed starting, soil amendments and used potting soil that I recondition and reuse.

Flannel sheets can be flimsy and not wear long. (I've figured it out and buy more expensive ones now) I tear the sheets that have ripped up, into about 12 by 12 squares and use them for cleaning.

I shred bills and things that have my name, address and information on. I put this shredded paper into waxed or paper cups and pour melted wax over it to make fire starters.

When it comes to things that I won't reuse, such as all the plastic bottles, etc., I put the bottle into recycling. The hard plastic lids are saved and contributed to schools that are collecting them for bench projects. We contributed to a school who ended up getting 4 benches made from their project. This was pre-COVID, so I am not sure if this is still going on or not. I just keep saving the hard lids. Recycling centers generally don't recycle the hard lids.

During COVID, we learned that there was a bit of a glass shortage. It affected some food manufacturers. Clausen's Pickles was one of those who was affected. We have a local school that collects glass. I often repurpose glass at home, but not always. There are bottles that beverages come in, etc. that I prefer to donate.

Costco sells peanuts in a tin can with plastic lid. It looks like a short #10 can. I use those in the pantry to keep moisture and mice out of soft packaged items like chocolate chips.

It is a never ending debate. Paper is biodegrable. Plastic is not. Which is better for the environment? I'm not taking sides either way. Packaging is a necessary evil. You have to put your goods into something to be able to sell at the retail level.

We do recycle Ziplok bags, but I guess we are selective in the process. If they have had food in them, and are messy they get pitched. If they have had something dry in them they will be reused. Do plastic grocery bags count. We get them by the dozens when we shop. Grocery stores still have paper bags, and we get them when we can. Almost everybody else uses plastic. I found a silly hack video that shows a method of folding them to reduce storage space. I have included them in our preps, and in our BOB's. I share quite a few with a good friend who uses at least two a day walking his dog.
You posted that plastic bag video a while back, I remember it!! I won't even bring up dish rags!😉

I've got some egg cartons that I will be using to start my seeds in. Potted plant soil goes into the garden, the pots get set aside for future use. Some onions started sprouted so they got put in pots with old soil from potted plants. I'll move them outside when the raised bed gets finished. Mom had some large planters on the deck. They will be repurposed to grow vegetables and edible flowers.

Use an opaque bottle like Tylenol, and you can't tell the difference (other than the weight) what is in it.
It is so nice to be among like minded people.

Attachments

• IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1
I have one of the reusable coffee screens so don't use filters. I do have a package as back up or I use one at times for things like mullein tea when we are sick or something. I will just add, in addition to reusable, I try to get repairable - things that can be repaired instead of tossed.
I use very few plastic items - as mentioned above by others, so many things come packaged in plastic, makes it difficult to nix.

I have one of the reusable coffee screens so don't use filters. I do have a package as back up or I use one at times for things like mullein tea when we are sick or something. I will just add, in addition to reusable, I try to get repairable - things that can be repaired instead of tossed.
I use very few plastic items - as mentioned above by others, so many things come packaged in plastic, makes it difficult to nix.
It seems that so much comes in plastic. It is hard to find some things that come in anything else. Plastic is being found in things that we do not want to find plastic particles in.
I'm going to try to be more mindful, again, about plastic in my purchasing. I am grateful for the reusable shopping bags, but I forget them sometimes.

If I see a hole in a sock when I take it off, I tie a knot in it and let the dog play with it. She has learned not to play with a sock without the knot. I I find a sock with a hole in it after it has been laundered I use it to dust. The dog doesn't appreciate clean socks.

Most reusable shopping bags have plastic in them and are just feel good props. You need to make sure they are 100% fabric if you are concerned.

My school came with a GE electric top stove, and two burners crapped out recently. No parts available. Yesterday while we were at the dump, a local furniture store dropped one off.

The.. we take your old stove when you buy a new one thing.

We stripped all the parts out of it right then and there with sleet coming down. Our old stove is up and running again. I use it as a spare. My daily driver is one of those toxic gas/propane stoves.

my favorite instant coffee comes in a glass jar. ive saved every one and use for the kitchen for herbs and spices. that leaves some canning jars free to use for food.
i also reuse chapstick - lip balm tubes. when one gets too low to use, i scrape out whats left inside and refill another. seems to take 4-5 of the almost empty tubes to re fill one tube. amazing how much lip balm gets thrown away.

im cheap.

Empty chewing tobacco tins are great for storing little washers and nuts on your workbench.

Someone mentioned pill bottles. I use empty pill bottles for water tight storage of fire starting materials. Dryer lint, Vaseline soaked cotton balls, sawdust, and short wooden matches all fit well in various sized bottles. Pro tip: tape a short length of rough sandpaper on the pill bottle to strike the match on...

I get 3 1/2 gallon plastic pails free from the grocery store bakery and use them in the garden, storing food, storing and hauling water, and any other chore that comes to mind.

We re-use resealable bags, plastic and glass containers with lids, boxes and other things routinely. My grandma taught me that stuff back in the early '70's. She grew up with very little and learned to never waste anything, and she tried to teach my brothers and me to be as wise.

Latest posts

Back