Rice Shortages Next?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'll give you that one, but what about my last two?
I had to go back and see what what your last two were. When I quoted you, only one link showed up in the quote.
Yes, that is true and nothing new to me. It caused an uproar when the bill was passed a few administrations ago.
The fact remains, that stupid congresswoman is spreading a bunch of misinformation and has people turning their anger in all the wrong directions.
There is one thing I'm in agreement about with her. All the clothes and diapers and whatever else that taxpayers are paying for.
The thing is, there are hundreds of churches and church groups poised to donate all that stuff, but the feds say they can't take it, because the government can't "accept gifts".
Capitol Hill is populated with idiots.
I wish you were on Facebook so you could join my group where we discuss all this stuff.

I had to go back and see what what your last two were. When I quoted you, only one link showed up in the quote.
Yes, that is true and nothing new to me. It caused an uproar when the bill was passed a few administrations ago.
The fact remains, that stupid congresswoman is spreading a bunch of misinformation and has people turning their anger in all the wrong directions.
There is one thing I'm in agreement about with her. All the clothes and diapers and whatever else that taxpayers are paying for.
The thing is, there are hundreds of churches and church groups poised to donate all that stuff, but the feds say they can't take it, because the government can't "accept gifts".
I wish you were on Facebook so you could join my group where we discuss all this stuff.
Whether a random post here or there is inaccurate is inconsequential. There are shortages of fertiliser and prices are extreme. Multiple countries have quit exporting food. The solar minimum is causing lower than average crop yield. Food factories and warehouses are being destroyed, around the world. When I read the tea leaves, they tell me to buy more tea, and everything else.

Today I don't eat much rice. My annual consumption of rice would probably keep one Asian alive for about a week. While passing on rice today might sound good, with my belly full, I'm buying more rice. Some of my preps are set aside for charity, here not half way around the world.

Fried rice is one of my favorites, red beans and rice is good eats too, and we have yellow or Mexican rice as a side at least a couple times a week. We keep at least a 3 year supply of rice on hand because it stores so well.

I’m not far from LA and it’s grown here in Texas as well but producers are going to sell to whoever is willing to pay the most. Looks like there will be greater competition for the rice than before.

rice is a great food extender and filler
if all you got is a can o f chunky chicken veg soup you cvan feed 2 people. add rice, you can feed 4 people.
ive done this oten over the years to get thru slim times

with all we are hearing avbout global food production problems and more damage, the culling of poultry, hogs, beef, it seems pretty obvious a food crisis is in the works. as more nations report they are not exporting their X-0Y-Z products, it seems like a good idea to get whatever we can.
many things are changing

Some of my preps are set aside for charity, here not half way around the world.
Such an excellent point. I get so focused on those I know I’ll need to feed, that this stays out in my peripheral vision. I need to bring charity more to the forefront and include it in my plans. Thank you for the reminder.

if all you got is a can o f chunky chicken veg soup you cvan feed 2 people. add rice, you can feed 4 people.
And it’s tasty and hits the spot! 😃

But regardless rice can be fixed various ways and is a good filler.

Yes. I can take it or leave it really, but in a desperate situation something made up with rice will look darn good, lol.

Rice and potatoes are the 2 staples that strike me as a bare minimum if nothing else is available. I have been growing spuds but not rice. There is a spot on the stream that crosses The Ridge that may be a food place for a rice patty. Wild rice grows in Minnesota so I figure it is worth trying here.

There was a time when I was single when I had rice multiple times a week. Left over rice with some milk sugar and cinnamon....

Ben

rice is a great food extender and filler
ive done this often over the years to get thru slim times.
Yes, and one of the reasons I hardly eat any of it anymore.
Growing up, it became obvious that it was 'po-folks' food. :confused:
DW makes a small 1-qt pot of it and it lasts the 3 of us a whole week.
Don't get me wrong, people around us have rice with every supper...
Speaking of Cajuns, you heard we eat a lot of crawfish too, right?
Guess where they grow those? In the flooded rice fields after the rice crop is harvested.
Some of the rice falls under the water and the crawfish take care of that:thumbs:...then we eat'em!:D
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/us/in-louisiana-farmers-use-rice-fields-as-crayfish-ponds.html
CRAYFISH-1-jumbo.jpg

Baked chicken & rice is the first 'comfort food' I can recall from my youth... as a large family, we ate it at least once per week. I love that stuff, I make it to this day, since it's economical and nutritious. And I like rice in Asian dishes, I'm making some stir-fry chicken this evening, using tangy Beijing sauce with chicken and veggies and eventually dumping it on a bed of rice, the last of the Thai Jasmine rice in my cupboard. :)

I'm not sure about long-term rice storage: didn't prisoners of war in Asia get Beriberi from eating old rice all the time? Maybe there were other factors involved. :oops:

I am on face book, I never use it much unless I have something to say that will cause maximum damage to certain thought paradigms.

I'm not sure about long-term rice storage: didn't prisoners of war in Asia get Beriberi from eating old rice all the time? Maybe there were other factors involved. :oops:

Hmmm... My understanding of storing rice long-term is that if it is packed in mylar with oxygen absorbers, it's good for a long time (up to 25yrs). But it has to be white rice, as brown rice is too oily and will go rancid.

In any case, I sure hope that works! Because chicken & rice is good comfort food around here.

I love rice..
I love all kinds of it cooked in main dishes , soups or in deserts .
Rice pudding ice cream is heavenly..if you can find it.
Sticky rice is awesome..and there is a purple variety of sticky rice too..
I have a nice supply of regular rice . Building up a supply of jasmine.
Now that I'm thinking about it I'll order some sticky rice next time I'm doing that n a bamboo cooker..I doubt I still have my old one.
Like Viking already mentioned..cali grows alot of our domestic rice but probably not this year due to the drought and fertilizer issues, cost of fuel etc.

I liked the comment about rice being poor folk food... I remember a time when I couldn't afford raman noodles, I didn't know how to cook regular rice and paid the price.

It wasn't until I had been married to my wife for about 5 years that I learned how easy rice was to cook... As cheep as rice was back then I could have been doing much better if I had only known. We keep rice and beans in stock, the wife can no longer handle the starch in rice, but we eat a lot of beans.... If we ever see a real SHTF event, rice will be one of our go to items.....

Everyone should take the time to teach their kids and grandkids how to cook rice (keep it simple) in case things get hard...

I cook it like grits, I put a skim of oil on the water to prevent clumping and bring the water to boil with the rice or grits already in there, but coated in oil.

i like how rice can easily take on the flavor of whatever its cooked in. got a pot of chicken stew? add a handful of rice.
beef? pork?
e3ver have leftover plain cooked rice in some scrambled eggs for breakfast? toss in some bacon or ham scraps and you got a fine meal.
ever got 4 eggs left but got to feed 6 people? works for eggs too.
just sayin.....right now its smart to buy all you can of white rice.
long term storage is a snap

if all you got is plastic juice or soda bottles, clean and sterilized, fill with rice, add an oxygen absorbed and seal. keep it dry, cool and out of the light and its good for longer than most of us.

just seeming more and more its smart to grab what we can before the normies wake up and freak out.

We are putting rice in LTS, as I said, I can take it or leave it. I like rice and don't mind eating it once a week, but it isn't something I crave either. But if it's eat rice or go hungry?

Rice shortage for us Americans? Naw...
If you want to worry about a real shortage that will impact US, worry about popcorn...
https://fortune.com/2022/06/02/popcorn-shortage-2022-summer-movies/
The Wall Street Journal reports that farmers are growing less popcorn these days, focusing instead on soybeans or other types of corn, which they can sell for more money. That’s not an immediate problem, but could become one as we get deeper into summer.
One company is already paying growers more to encourage them to keep the popcorn corn planted.

Popcorn is an enormous profit driver for theaters. It’s a movie-time staple, but the costs are inflated a ridiculous amount, which patrons don’t mind paying. Theaters are less in the movie business than they are in the popcorn business, since the film industry takes such a big percentage of the box office returns.
If you want to buy up and store something that we already know is going to be scarce, skip the rice and sugar. Invest in popcorn :thumbs:.
Most theaters make 30% of their income from it and they are going to be SOL if they don't buy up the market :(.

Last edited:
IMHO, the goal is not to eat just rice. Rice will be a filler, as already mentioned. Rice will fill you up. Cook up rice and then have whatever you can find to add to it. It could be dandelions. It could be onions from the garden. It could a few things. Daughter makes Korean rice bowls that start with a bowl of rice, and then adds an egg, jalapenos and a few other things. It is possible that many will get down to only having rice left in their storage, but this is when learning to forage can make a difference.

Baked chicken & rice is the first 'comfort food' I can recall from my youth... as a large family, we ate it at least once per week. I love that stuff, I make it to this day, since it's economical and nutritious. And I like rice in Asian dishes, I'm making some stir-fry chicken this evening, using tangy Beijing sauce with chicken and veggies and eventually dumping it on a bed of rice, the last of the Thai Jasmine rice in my cupboard. :)

"Beriberi is a disease caused by a vitamin B1 deficiency, also known as thiamine deficiency. It often occurs in developing countries among people with a diet that consists mostly of white rice or highly refined carbohydrates. "

rice is a filler, an add to, its not meant to be Tghe only food. just like you dont want a diet of only apples or only asparagus or onmly bread. got to have a variety and a balance of nutrients.

Latest posts

Back