Rice: Whats the best bang for my buck?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any American sourced rice worth having?
Kroger has many sourced rice, some from China.
The top 5 rice exporting countries (India, Thailand, Pakistan, Vietnam and the United States of America) generated almost three-quarters (74.2%) of the global value for rice exports during 2021.

Please, I need that pension check to keep coming!
Some people might not get this so I'll help out...
Urban Dictionary... Krogering:
a forced labor camp in which poor people are forced to complete useless tasks at the beckoning of five bazillion bosses each having they're own stupid idosynchrocies......Commonly mistakened for the concentration camps where Hitler would persecuit jews. Instead of killing people at kroger though, they force them to do mind numbing work, such as pushing large metal objects, many at a time. This is forced upon the victim until death ensues or genocide of the supervisors.
Sorry :confused:, now back to rice! :D

Last edited:
I'm not a rice person, would eat it if I had to but would eat a whole lot of other things before I'd resort to rice.

Something I might be thinking about would be cans of fish, tuna, salmon, anchovies, whatever you might like, if you like fish, that is.

Canned chicken might also be of interest. Some can that on their own rather than buying it already canned. Either way, it's storage of protein without refrigeration.

Have heard of home canned ground beef as well but have never tasted that nor seen it for sale in any store.

Just a couple o' thoughts.

Some people might not get this so I'll help out...
Urban Dictionary... Krogering:

Sorry :confused:, now back to rice! :D
We bag rice for sale from super sacks, some of the employee would agree with your Urban Dictionary!
I can buy for my family at a reduced price, but am not sure the % of saving.

A one horse wagon(1883) to every state in USA, over 28 labels, like Fred Myers, Dillons.
Does Kroger exist outside the US?

Kroger boasts over 2,900 locations in the United States but has yet to expand overseas. Despite this, Kroger is the second-largest hypermarket chain worldwide.Jan 24, 2022
https://www.statista.com/topics/4404/kroger-company/

I'm going metal on my buckets, they're raccoon proof.
Had a little setback. my car crapped on me again and when I looked at the DGS, they had 2 bags of rice left. I think I goofed around too long.

Something I might be thinking about would be cans of fish, tuna, salmon, anchovies, whatever you might like, if you like fish, that is.

Canned chicken might also be of interest. Some can that on their own rather than buying it already canned. Either way, it's storage of protein without refrigeration.

Just a couple o' thoughts.
One thing I like to do is add the water from a can of tuna or chicken to the uncooked rice.
Then, after cooking put the meat on top.
I love to open a can of black eye peas and when the rice is done, dump it in the pot on top of the rice and put the lid back on so the peas will heat up a bit.

We go thru a lot of rice at our house, and I buy soy sauce two bottles at a time, because there's nothing worse than having a nice bowl of warm rice and NO soy sauce.
I used to buy Kikkoman sauce by the half gallon or one gallon bulk can at the Vietnamese grocery when I worked in the big city, but since retirement that's a 45 minute drive there, and 45 minutes back. In a truck that gets 14.5 MPG. So, I but it by the biggest bottle they have at the local grocery.

I have a few boxes of flakes and a couple hundred pounds of the rice.
Be aware, boxes of potato flakes can get bugs! Been there. I quit buying the flakes in a box because I didn't know if the bugs were already there when I bought them. I've bought them in cans from LDS and in plastic from the store.

FYI: My LDS preparedness friend tells me that rice from the Bishops Storehouse is not good rice. I have some, never tried it. I don't have a lot of it because I have some in 5 gallon buckets and some in half gallon jars. It is an essential for us because of my daughter's celiac/gluten allergy. The only way she can eat wheat is sprouted, and then that is questionable.

I try to buy a 25 pound bag of rice periodically. I love basmati rice, but I also really like jasmine rice. I try to store food by meal ideas, such as Indian food: dal, rice, and some time of Indian flat bread. Indian food uses basmati rice. There are a variety of lentils that are used to make dal. I have tried to store some of each for variety sake.

The one time I went to costco, I walked by 25 & 50 pond bags of all kinds of rice, but I do not know price per pound.

IMPORTANT - to ensure that rice you don't plan to eat right away is weevil free, put the bag/bags in the freezer for a few days when you get them home from the store.

IMPORTANT - to ensure that rice you don't plan to eat right away is weevil free, put the bag/bags in the freezer for a few days when you get them home from the store.
seven days?

Reactions: Neb
seen premium jasmine rice today. the only jasmine at store..25# was $45...50# white rice was $30

good tip! might save me buying dry ice at the party store! could I just keep it in the freezer? I used to put macaroni in there all the time to keep out the bugs.

Latest posts

Back