S has HTF big time in BC: too late to prepare.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rural western Canada the other side of the mountai
I don't know if you all follow any canadian news, but a huge rain storm has wiped out all of the transportation routes, including rail in BC between the lower mainland and the rest of us: washouts, flooding and land slides.

Basically, aside from a major agricultural area being wiped out including dairies and poultry, access to and from the port is gone. Hopefully, in a week they can start moving stuff through the US and around the blockages. It will take time as well to resupply from the east.

What this all means, is that our grocery stores which were full two days ago, are now stripped bare from panic buying. People are going to be on a weight loss program and prices are going to go up faster then a supersonic rocket.

Some towns are completely cut off in both directions and are needing food, air dropped. I wasn't planning on eating down my stores yet without replacements but no choice now. I am so happy to have the option.

I am far away from the SHTF zone, but I was just told by a neighbor that I need to get to town right pronto. I thanked them for the heads up and headed in for a truck load of chicken feed to top up my supply. I figure I can donate eggs to the cause since the stores are out.

I looked and could hardly believe the difference from three days ago. I left without buying any groceries.

I've been following it closely. I'm the complete opposite side of the country so not affected at all, but watching what's happening, reaction, response times, and of course the effects on normal people.

Glad to hear your OK!

Supply chain and cleared out shops was one of the first things I expected to happen. It's going to be a difficult time for many many people.

Also all those cars that were trapped between ( and in) the mudslides was a good reinforcing reminder to always make sure the vehicles are properly stocked with supplies too!

This is just another example of what we already know, or at least I hope we do. When disaster strikes your world can be turned upside down in a heartbeat. The speed at which things can go south is staggering. If you aren't prepared you will be in deep you know what. You have to be ahead of the game.

Hope everybody in B.C. and in Washington are safe. Prayers to all.

Noah didn't start building the Ark when it started raining.

On the bright side, they have forgotten about covid.

I went into our little town today to research the grocery situation some more.

There is actually quite a lot of food left, as in the processed ready to microwave crap. What was wiped out were all veggies fresh or frozen except swiss chard, leeks and peppers. Everything else was bare earth.
No milk, eggs or regular type bread. Lots of yogurt, cheese, and juice.

Looks like the rural bush people still cook and keep it simple.

Last edited:
The Lower Mainland deluge is going to throw a huge additional cluster into the already fuster cluck, But the ships not getting unloaded and hauled previously was a desk jockey problem, not a shortage of trucks and drivers, the cheap bast***s just don't want to pay, lots of oil field trucks just sitting, they just don't work for free. Most consumer agriculture in BC happens in the fraser valley, this looks like a long term nightmare for a lot of people, but it has been raining for weeks and very few people got even remotely prepared. Those roads are going to take a very long time to even patch. My compassion goes out to the people stuck in this mess. The stores are going to be pretty much devoid of anything imported. And maybe people might learn that lettuce is not a staple, but I doubt it. this past week end a friend sent me a post from the canadian preppers telegram group, about CN rail loosing a bunch of their work force due to Vaxx mandates, the missing rail bridges might be a bigger problem now.

If anyone wants to see the scope of this deluge, go to drivebc.com the number of roads damaged or destroyed is pretty high

'Once in 500 years' British Columbia flooding leaves behind disaster

That's what they said here when we got flooded in '93; this was a 500 year flood. The we got it again in 2015, and it was worse. Then we got it again in 2016. Bad, but not as bad as 2015. So what was supposed to be a 500 year flood turned about to be a 22 year flood. Mother nature is gonna do whatever she wants, so all of us mere mortals better be prepared, and have Plan A, B ,C, and D at a minimum.

That's what they said here when we got flooded in '93; this was a 500 year flood. The we got it again in 2015, and it was worse. Then we got it again in 2016. Bad, but not as bad as 2015. So what was supposed to be a 500 year flood turned about to be a 22 year flood. Mother nature is gonna do whatever she wants, so all of us mere mortals better be prepared, and have Plan A, B ,C, and D at a minimum.

like my old pappy use to say "son dont live in a river bottom!"

I have enough food in the house my wife and I could get by for a couple of months, if we lost power and lost frozen goods that would be cut in half. I have recently started canning on the weekends though so I expect to be stocking up more.

this has been a year of extremes, and as stated in previous posts, the never happened before is now happening, and it seems to highly populated areas with regularity. A very large portion of BC s milk and egg production happens in the effected area. Egg suppliers are already scrambling to make up shortages, the trucking distances a going to be pretty large, and one of the main intermountain routes is already comprimized due to road construction.

This has been a year of extreme reporting. Everything has been raised to supernatural proportions by the media. None of it has been real.

I live in BC. They are under reporting it. There is no way they are going to get just the trans canada or the rail road open in the foreseeable future, let alone any of the other routes.

I know the bridge and 2 miles of road washout repairs on my road that were due for completion in the next year or so, have now been canceled mid project. My hour long detour has just become permanent.

A neighbor lady with three young kids just texted me asking if I need anything. The food I saw in town yesterday is now gone. She is going on a road trip west through the, closed a lot for blasting, mountain pass that Tirediron mentioned.

I put in a call to my sister in Alberta to see if their stores are being cleaned out or under restrictions. I asked her retired dairy farmer hubby to find me an older milk cow on the cheap. I intend to keep the local kids in milk. The neighbors will donate the hay I will do the milking. There are plenty of private flocks so as long as we can feed them, there will be eggs. Problem is that it's a heck of a long supply chain now. Everyone thinks the US will be the new supply chain. From what I have been reading here, good luck with that.

I'm just starting to catch up with this story Clem. Amazing what goes on not that far away and the news don't get out, unless it fits some narrative. Other than hear I hadn't caught wind of it at all.
Much like Sheep Dog has mentioned as to what would happen with a big quake around the Seattle area, this is just huge for the BC area. Lots of changes coming over the next months/years.

I talked to a friend in the egg industry, they are trying to ship a couple of trailers 53 ft in to bc, if they can get there, when we talked, hiway 16 was the only option, now it looks like 93 is open again, but that is a cluster allready due to a closure for bridge construction.

93 is normally closed for the winter due to heavy snow and avalanche risk. They may try to keep it open now, but gosh, it will take cahones to drive it in a loaded semi come January/February, bridge or no bridge. They did in the old days, but it's a heck of a place to have an accident or breakdown. Hubby just went through there 2 weeks ago and it was still OK.

16 will work just fine to get supplies to our side of the disaster. If they have a way to utilize the tracks over to Kamloops and get the trains back from there, it would be the best way.

I bet those ejits in Vancouver will be wishing they hadn't killed the pipeline right about now. I hear they are running out of gas.

They are dang lucky it doesn't get cold there but the rain is going to hold things up.

Last edited:
Some of those roads are the responsibility of The United States, we built them and maintain them for access to/from Alaska. This started in WWII. This could have some minor effect on Alaska but we have a barge system that provides most of our supplies.

the whole centralization of things everywhere is going to cause mayhem, as the climate changes with the sun cycles. I am really not hearing as much as a person should about this particular major wreck, perhaps because the same people who shut down every pipeline project and the super heros that stopped the prince rupert container port are just trying to survive now, Hope you are doing ok ,Clem,

If anyone is wanting to see the scope of this disaster, have a look on Google maps, there will be a southern bc floods link thingy, then the maps zooms out to show the event damage location as well as what I think are private citizen photos,

The roads we are talking about don't have anything to do with Alaska. Access to Alaska is in the northern part of BC.
I looked up floods in BC. I saw a map including the Queen Charlotte Is. and a large area on the mainland centred around Rupert and Terrace indicated as flooded or near flood levels. Later I found flooding near the BC/US border.

like my old pappy use to say "son dont live in a river bottom!"
Wife and I saw the results of that when we lived in Colorado, the 1976 Big Thompson flood, stalled thunderstorm in the Rockies pretty much tore up the whole river bottom and a lot of people died, a lawman lost his life trying to warn the people to get to high ground, people literally had the water licking at their heals climbing to safety. It was said that boulders the size of cabins were rolling down the river canyon. The strange thing is that a few weeks before we had driven up Boulder Canyon above Boulder and all along the creek were signs saying NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING, there had been a rain storm a day or so before and there was a lot of duff, pine needles, cones and dirt on the road. Anyway, that situation stuck with us when we came here to Oregon looking for property, we built our home above flood levels and even then we've rainstorms that have been scary in seeing all the water come down the mountain behind us.

I looked up floods in BC. I saw a map including the Queen Charlotte Is. and a large area on the mainland centred around Rupert and Terrace indicated as flooded or near flood levels. Later I found flooding near the BC/US border.
As far as I know the alaska highway is along the west side of the northern rockies, but the US probably had a lot to do with the stretch of highway 37 north of Terrace too, Most of this event is on the lower mainland, and is exaserbated by bridge construction on highway 1 just west of the alberta border, but that is supposed to be finished Dec 1.

Latest posts

Back