score

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scored on hay today 17 bales of hay for free. the lady's husband said they had to go so his worker would quit knocking down posts on another shed when he parked the truck. this shed is much larger. the truck needs to stay under the shed because one of the windows want let up.

I got excited cause I can finally add to your 'score board'! ;) 37lbs of cornbeef for $10.06. . . yes that is a 3 & 7 with no decimal!! I gave 9 lbs to a family on my home, cubed up another 9 lbs to use as seasonings and in salads, then vaccumed sealed for the freezer. Think another 9 lbs will be used in hash to can up and I'm still deciding on the rest.

i will miss my customers a whole lot when i leave in may. one brought me a santa claus ferris wheel music box today. she was cleaning out her grandmother's shed and found it in the bottom of a tote. she said it had been packed up since 1994 and could think of no one she would rather have than me. makes me feel good; and guilty for leaving. she and i will keep in touch. i have to bake her a pecan pie this weekend as that is her favorite. she doesn't bake.

a friend of ours passed away 2 years ago. he loved to can and freeze stuff out of his garden. he could walk outside at any time of the year and have food growing. his wife didn't like to do any of that. she called yesterday and asked if i would help her pack up all of his things as she is gonna sell the farm, and that i could have all his cannig supplies. she loved the man very much but it just isn't her cup of tea. anyway i said yes,so we are gonna start this weekend. my friend had lots of mason jars ,knives, waterbath canners, pea shellers and more. it's gonna take a trailer to haul all of that stuff. she said that we were the only ones that he would want to have it. i will gladly take it, but i would much rather have my friend back. he taught me a lot.

yeah. he was old school. he called me one night at midnight and said his jars was popping the lids. i asked what he had canned in them,he said soup mix. i told him the corn was fermenting. it has to be canned in a pressure canner but he was very afraid of them. very good memories. RIP WAYNE

a friend of ours passed away 2 years ago. he loved to can and freeze stuff out of his garden. he could walk outside at any time of the year and have food growing. his wife didn't like to do any of that. she called yesterday and asked if i would help her pack up all of his things as she is gonna sell the farm, and that i could have all his cannig supplies. she loved the man very much but it just isn't her cup of tea. anyway i said yes,so we are gonna start this weekend. my friend had lots of mason jars ,knives, waterbath canners, pea shellers and more. it's gonna take a trailer to haul all of that stuff. she said that we were the only ones that he would want to have it. i will gladly take it, but i would much rather have my friend back. he taught me a lot.

:heart: sorry about your friend, good friends are hard to come by.

I have a strange way of looking the loss of friends and family. I don't believe they are truly lost or gone, as long as we hold them in our memories. They live through us and we can rejoice in their memories.

local grocery has dutch farms cheese on sale for 99 cents [8 oz. block or shredded]. i have already bought a lot of it. that's the cheapest i've ever seen it. my question is should i go back and wipe them out? what would you do?

@timmie it depends on a few things is do you use it a lot ? and do you have the space to store it ?. If so then wipe them out if it is something you use all the time and it will save you a lot of money on a staple.
yea i have quite a bit of storage space.. we are going to can some of it .and yes we use it all the time. there is a bunch of big rats around here.:D

@timmie I never feel guilty about wiping out supermarket shelves in a store on anything we use regularly. Although I do have to say that we get a few stares from some shoppers when we pull off whole cartons and put them in the trolley though :) .

If there is a pensioner or pensioner looking aged person watching us in awe I am polite and say did you need or come in for some of this ?, and if so will share and give them what they need too (usually they only want 1 or 2 anyway) other than that it is fair game here. The reason I share with pensioners is that their income like ours is low and it helps them out as well and because of our stockpile we can do that as we are on a far higher pension than most here as DH is on a military pension.

Just got my sale ads in and here's my buys ; 18oz blueberries $1.98, cantaloupes 88 cents, whole chickens 77 cents a lb, Gallon milk $1,77, red grapes $1.27 lb,, 2lbs strawberries $1.77, canned corn and green beans 44 cents each and I have a 50 cents off coupon, Dreyers ice cream $2.49 and I have a 75 cents off coupon, 2 loaves good sandwich bread $1.88 and I have a coupon for 40 cents off each, 6 pkgs frozen veg at $1 ea and I have 25 cents off each bag coupons, Jumbo pack of Bounty paper towels at $4.99, and I have a $1.25 coupon, 1 pound pkg lunchmeat $3.49 and I have a $1 off coupon., and crayons, glue are 50 cents each.

Went unintentionally bulk clothing shopping as I was looking for a few long sleeved t-shirts and found one of our local clothing store had all of their winter clothing on super sales of 73.31% or $267 off usual retail prices. As DH has lost weight and I have gained it we both needed new clothing and decided to take advantage of the sale and stock up both for this season and a few more to come.

Here is what I purchased 2 sets of knitted gloves, 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of jeggings, 8 long sleeved t-shirts, a rain jacket, 1 3/4 sleeve t-shirt, 2 pairs of shaping leggings, 3 x 5 pk of cushioned work socks, 3 puffer vests and 3 puffer jackets. DH purchased 4 x l/s t-shirts, 1 polar fleece zip jacket, 4 quilted track tops, 4 tracksuit pants, and 6 track suit tops. Most of these were already reduced and then they had 40% off those prices again :) .

:woo hoo: clothing that fits me and is not stretched or has holes in it from wear and DH has lots of warm clothing after wearing his until they are almost threadbare.

Latest posts

Back