Seasonal Bargains and Deals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I thought this would be a neat thread to get started. Anytime someone sees some excellent clearance or seasonal deals, please post them here, especially if the deals are online or at national bricks and mortar stores. I'll get it started....

I went looking for deals this week since this is typically the time of year most stores put things on big clearance to get ready for their spring merchandise. I had to go to town for a bunch of errands anyways, so I stopped at WM. I found a few small clearanced valentines candies but I didn't get a whole bunch of it b/c we don't need it! However, the small 5 piece candy chocolate boxes were .33 each which was hard to pass up. There were also some clothes and underwear on clearance, but not at rock bottom prices yet. Although I did get a sweater for $9. Most notably, there was a lot of ice fishing merchandise on clearance. Most of it was at least half off or more. I bought a bunch of it for Christmas gifts and donation gifts. I'm sure hubby will snag some of it before I put it in my gift bins for Christmas.

I found very little at the local farm stores. They were busy moving in new merchandise, so I may have missed the clearance deals there. I also went into a sports store and the sales prices on clothes were decent, but I noticed that some of their regular prices were better than what WM had. They had some thicker non-brand jeans for $10 which was their regular price. The next time I'm in town with hubby, I'll have him try them on to make sure they fit properly and buy him a few pair so when he's working on repairs he can wear them and trash them out if need be.

Last edited:
It's a regional thing (PA, OH and SC) but I've been getting stuff from a place called mac.bid
They collect the returns, overruns... from major stores (Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes...) It is an auction site so you bid on the items.
You do have to understand that items that have been returned may have a defect or something so bid/price accordingly.
I'm in my shop right now working on things that didn't come to us working properly.
A Cuisinart coffee maker for $1. Someone dumped grounds where you put the water. I took it apart, cleaned the lines and all good now.
A Zoeller sump/septic pump, normally around $400. The impeller was loose. Got it for around $50.

Other items were straight up returns and are perfect. You can get them for at least 90% off.

It was President's Day last weekend. The sales that weekend are the best for winter clearance clothing. I didn't go out and do any shopping this year, but I have in the past. I remember about 20 years ago when daughter and I were looking for leather boots. We went to a mall and saw that so many things were half price. She had been looking for a particular boot and hadn't been able to find them in her size. We found them at that mall, half price. I found some leather boots myself. I found a few other things that weekend.

President's Day weekend is over, but there are still some things on the clearance racks for half price.

Labor Day weekend is the time to shop for summer clothing clearance sales.

Last edited:
It's a regional thing (PA, OH and SC) but I've been getting stuff from a place called mac.bid
They collect the returns, overruns... from major stores (Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes...) It is an auction site so you bid on the items.
You do have to understand that items that have been returned may have a defect or something so bid/price accordingly.
I'm in my shop right now working on things that didn't come to us working properly.
A Cuisinart coffee maker for $1. Someone dumped grounds where you put the water. I took it apart, cleaned the lines and all good now.
A Zoeller sump/septic pump, normally around $400. The impeller was loose. Got it for around $50.

Other items were straight up returns and are perfect. You can get them for at least 90% off.
I see ads for Dealdash.com nonstop on TV.
They need to have a big "Buyer Beware" message on them because almost all are returns.
Nobody thinks about where all those returns go. :(
A majority of their stuff has 'problems' that are never mentioned. (Like your coffee maker)
They also never mention that each bid you make (that can only raise the bid by 1¢), costs you money to make, whether you win the auction or not:mad:.

Edit: This is what the idiots fall for :(...
Don't be an idiot.
If it sounds too good to be true, you are being fleeced :mad:.

Last edited:
I find deals at the two bin stores in the bigger town. They are amazon returns or overstock strange stuff, but you can check it out and see it before buying. By Thursdays, anything left in the bin tables is 99 cents. Right now is the time to by stuff for next Christmas, I suppose, if you needed any Christmas stuff. Ornaments, Tree stands, lights....

For Amazon deals I watch Deal Busters on FB. She compares Amazon deals with prices at Walmart or other big stores. Every day she posts a list of deals in lots of categories. So all of the work is done for you. Last month I got a large bag of dog food for $0. Yesterday I ordered 2 cat fountain waterers for $0. Mostly I watch for food and pet supplies.

She earns a commission when someone shops through her links. I actually met her online through a homesteading forum. Deal Busters

Harbor Freight has sale in Spring & Fall, but not sure if you get much more than 25%. I sometimes pick up fire starters, pocket flashlights.
I got a stirring wheel remover for less than half the cost of other stores.
The DYI of repairing saved me over six hundred dollar, I have the tool for life & got to spend quality time with my son. From my view, it is a win win & he will have the tool & now how, long after I am dust.

Walking around Walmart, while DW shopped & found DC tee shirts on clearance for $5.00/$6.00, regular $15.00 to $20.00.

Harbor Freight has sale in Spring & Fall, but not sure if you get much more than 25%. I sometimes pick up fire starters, pocket flashlights.
I don't go to HF often b/c there isn't one in my area. However, when I travel to a town that has one, I will print off their coupons if there's something there that I want. Sometimes there's things on the coupon page that are really good deals.
harborfreight.com/coupons

I don't go to HF often b/c there isn't one in my area. However, when I travel to a town that has one, I will print off their coupons if there's something there that I want. Sometimes there's things on the coupon page that are really good deals.
harborfreight.com/coupons
I have three HF with n 30-45 minutes of my house. Lugoff, Dentsiville &
Columbia, S.C.

I guess that you could say that I save money by doing a lot of research. Lot's of video's on U tube comparing items. Our Dyson hand held died a while back (2 years old & $400) & I was rather unhappy. It was a good machine but I hated the filters clogging, short running time & not knowing why the darned thing would stop. Saw a couple of video's on Black & Decker hand held & found one on sale for $87 (Kohls). Overall I'd rate it higher than the Dyson because of price, battery life, it stands up & it does a pretty good job on pet hair. Dyson was better on pet hair but I can go over the carpet twice & come very close & I have the battery power to do that. I also got $60 off on a Shark Pet Liftaway & really love it. I think that it does just as good as the Dyson on pet hair (it's a plug in) but for half of the price. Mostly though I used the B&D because it's so easy & quick.

I also like to shop at Dollar Tree for cheaper items. For example I buy large bags of pet food to save money. DT had large containers with screw on lids for $1.25 & I just move the food from the bag to the big containers. A long time ago I bought 2 long shoe horns for $1 each. Love them because I don't have to bend over to put my shoes on & I use them every day. I even picked up some decorative pillow covers for $1.25. They lasted about a year & might have gone longer (looking good) if we hadn't gotten a puppy that loves to chew on them. I've also bought lots of plastic boxes there for my wife's jewelry making stuff & just to store stuff in. And honestly I think the quality is just about the same as you would get somewhere else for 5 to 10 dollars.

Last edited:
When I need an expensive item, I look for a sale even if I have to wait. Top 3 BUYS:

Living room furniture: We looked at every place in town. I want leather or leather & wood. Needless to say it was expensive. The set that we liked the most was at Sam's but it was $1,700. We weren't in a hurry so we kept casually looking. Six months later we were in Sam's &I checked the set & it was marked down to $800 for 2 chairs, big foot stool & couch. Bought it on the spot.

Washer & Dryer: I got into a cutting back on expenses kick. Water here can be expensive so I wanted to upgrade our W&D. Waited (3 or 4 months) for Black Friday adds. Home Depo had a sale on W&D for $300 off each. They were one step below the best they had in that brand (LG). Got them both for $780 plus $75 install & stacking. Two months later the price went up to $750 for each of them (added up to $1,500). Oh & the new W&D were both energy & water saving.

Toilets: Yes, sounds stupid but: Again water can be expensive here. Again I was at Sam's & saw "Toilet in a Box". Saves water on every flush. They were $100 each & I bought 2 of them. I had them more or less installed (pretty easy) & found one of my shut off valves needed replaced. I had plumbers come out & replace the shut off valve & "fine tune" my install. That was another $150. So $350 total. But I fixed a problem that I didn't know I had plus saved between 20 to 25 dollars a month on water. They paid for themselves pretty darned quick.

Duh, I just thought of something else. My Step Father has problems walking distances plus he has health problems in general. So that means a lot of doctor visits coming up. Sometimes to get to those appointments you have to walk a long way. (both in the parking lots & hospitals). So I thought that we would rent a wheel chair & checked on prices. Around here to rent one for 1 month was $150. My wife suggested that I price buying one. I picked Walmart & ordered it. What a nightmare! Two weeks later & NOTHING. Finally found out that it had 2 labels on it so they shipped it back where it was shipped from. Canciled the order &. ordered one from Amazon & it arrived in 4 or 5 days. Total cost was $107 & it does everything we wanted.

Around here, you can find many "like new" wheelchairs on craigslist for $60 or less.
And your probably right, I could have looked around. But I'm old & tired & if I can save some aggravation by only spend 100 dollars it's well worth it to me. We have been taking care of my SF for over 5 years now & we are both worn out. He's 92 & in very poor health, had 2 strokes, blind in one eye & poor vision in the other and barely walks. It's starting to get rough lately.

Lowe's has mulch on sale for $2 per 2 cu/ft bag. That's half price.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Premium-2-cu-ft-Dark-Brown-Hardwood-Mulch/5002118533

I got a truckload yesterday, going back for another truckload today. About $100 for 2 truckloads is a pretty decent deal.
Can't help myself. I keep on buying it. For $2/bag I can fill my truck for $60. My little flower gardens look great. Pretty sure my weed-eating time will now be cut in half. I went out and bought another 30 bags today. Not sure where the bags are going yet but the weeds are screwed. I'm going to bury those SOB's so they never see sunlight again.

Can't help myself. I keep on buying it. For $2/bag I can fill my truck for $60. My little flower gardens look great. Pretty sure my weed-eating time will now be cut in half. I went out and bought another 30 bags today. Not sure where the bags are going yet but the weeds are screwed. I'm going to bury those SOB's so they never see sunlight again.
That a good price, I use pine bark fines to mulch my Blueberries, it is what I have, so I could use it to mulch everything else.
But only because I have 17 cubit yards of it as a potting mix.

Got 16" X 12" crates for half price at $4.99, so I bought 17. some gray, red & green, I wanted all gray, but they had only 8 that was gray.
Still got eight free!
1712892304985.png

First I'll say that I LOVE this topic. I'm surprised that more people don't post & follow posts like this to save money. Now I'll go a "little" off topic because we are talking deals. Some of the best "deals" (& the most money saved) have been from garage sales, estate sales, auctions & online auctions. You can literally turn your knowledge into cash or in our case, a much larger collection of crystal. It just takes some knowledge in an area & the time to look. I'll give a few examples of our savings: A fairly rare vase at a garage sale, cost $2.50 & sold on Ebay for $800 (in 30 minutes). A crystal Xmas ornament, paid 50 cents, worth about $200. Ten Swarovski birds auction, paid $565 now selling for between $115 to $150 each. And our biggest, a giant Swarovski chaton on auction. It kind of had a minor error in the listing (size was reversed) & we paid $360 while there was one on Ebay listed at $14,999 (really worth 3 to 5 thousand but they are hard to find).

Latest posts

Back