Seering meat - how can I tell that the pot/pan is the right temperature to seer my meat?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeEconHelp

Friend
Neighbor
Hi there,

I know that I need to get the surface of my meat to 154 degrees celcius in order to initiate the maillard reaction. However, I have no way of figuring out if the frying pan is hot enough before adding the meat. I tried doing this yesterday and the temperature was not high enough - the meat started cooking and was not browning.

I do not have access to a thermometer (not that I would know how to use it for this purpose) and want to avoid buying one as money is short.

Second question, I cook my food on three different ovens. There are two at my flat but one is usually in use by a flatmate. I also cook when visiting family. The problem is, all the stoves seem to have different temperatures at different settings. Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to predict what a setting will do to my food? For example, one of the stoves seems to heat water to boiling point even when it is on "low". That makes me wonder whether I should use "medium" where a recipe tells me to cook on high heat.

Are you sure you're in the right forum? I'm all about a good recipe but this is pretty much a prepper board.

Try this, I do it a lot.
Slow simmer your meat in broth+ herbs and spices for 15 minutes, take it out and sear it on high for 1 minute each side.

Are you sure you're in the right forum? I'm all about a good recipe but this is pretty much a prepper board.

The forum said it was about homesteading? I am neither a homesteader or prepper, but when I looked up the definition of home steading it said that it is about living self-sufficiently. That is what I am trying to do so (as best as I can) so I thought this might be the best forum to ask my questions.

I am certainly not self sufficient but I am still learning. My thinking was being able to cook excellent food is good for wellbeing and makes it easier (for me) to enjoy my own cooking rather than buying from a restaurant (and so not being self sufficient).

Apologies if I have come to the wrong place.

I did see a forum topic somewhere that talked about important skills for preppers - skills that might be tradable between others if civilisation was to collapse. While I am not a prepper (apologies for any ignorance I show), I did wonder, wouldn't being skilled in cooking be potentially desirable to others? I imagine if you are living in a world that has lost a lot of the comforts of civilisation, a really good meal might actually become a commodity.

After the pan heats up for a bit, try flicking a few drops of water onto it. How quickly it "dances" and evaporates off will give you an idea how hot it is.

Stop over in the introductions thread and tell a little about yourself and your aspirations.

The forum said it was about homesteading? I am neither a homesteader or prepper, but when I looked up the definition of home steading it said that it is about living self-sufficiently. That is what I am trying to do so (as best as I can) so I thought this might be the best forum to ask my questions.

I am certainly not self sufficient but I am still learning. My thinking was being able to cook excellent food is good for wellbeing and makes it easier (for me) to enjoy my own cooking rather than buying from a restaurant (and so not being self sufficient).

I did see a forum topic somewhere that talked about important skills for preppers - skills that might be tradable between others if civilisation was to collapse. While I am not a prepper (apologies for any ignorance I show), I did wonder, wouldn't being skilled in cooking be potentially desirable to others? I imagine if you are living in a world that has lost a lot of the comforts of civilisation, a really good meal might actually become a commodity.
You are in the right forum, we have threads for just about everything!! Cooking is important, and I really like your question!! Thanks for posting!! Jump in anywhere!! This is a "homestead and country living" forum, prepping is part of it, I feel we cover all aspects of life!!

You are in the right place, welcome to our forum!!

Howdy Econ and welcome to the Forum!

Been a long time since I pan fried a piece of straight eating meat. I sear a lot of stew/soup meat.

I like my eating steaks rare. Charred on the outside, warm, bloody red the rest of the way through. For a ¾” – 1” piece of meat: Grease the pan; bacon grease, oil, lard… When it starts to heat up, flick a drop of water off your finger into the pan. When it dances, it is ready. Drop the meat in. When it starts smoking heavy, flip it. Check to see if it has that desired look. You can usually tell by the first side how long the second side is going to take. Let it get to ALMOST the desired doneness. Flip it. Finish off the first side if necessary, might have to do the second side again for a minute also. That is all a by eye kind of thing.

Turn off the heat and put the pan to the side, meat still in it. IT will cool down and finish off the sear while ‘heating’ the inside of the meat. Flip it after a minute or so, to warm through from the other side. How long the ‘cool down’ in the pan takes depends on how long it took to sear the outside. Again, mostly a by feel kind of thing. IF it took a long time (relative, I know 😊), the meat might be ready right after the sear. If the pan was real hot and it seared quickly, it might take a few minutes of setting to warm the center. Poke the meat with a finger, or spoon if your fingers are real heat sensitive. You can tell by the ‘bounce’ to the meat how rare/well done it is.

I know this didn’t answer your original questions of ‘how high of a heat’ to sear. I use high and go with however that does it. It isn’t like baking bread or cookies ( I like cookies!) where temperature and time matters. Meat just needs a sear and to be warm inside – For me anyway.

After decades of not knowing how I found that I needed to learn to cook just a few years ago. Of the many things I didn’t know… how to tell how hot a skillet is, or fry oil or water in a pot, were major impediments to my learning to cook. I had no experience and no one to tell me.

I guess I went at this backwards. I bought an automotive infrared thermometer for $20. It’s made to measure from -58f to +1022f (or celcius -50c to 550c). It does not come into contact with the object being measured. It works fantastic. I can accurately measure anything on or in the stove or the freezer.

I said all that to say this… After using this thermometer for a few years I find I rarely use it now. Just from experience I now know if my skillet is hot enough to sear meat. I can tell if its at 450 degree or 550 or 600 degrees… and a number of other items.

This is what you are asking? I’m sorry, I can’t tell you how I know if my skillet is at 450 or 550. My knowledge is from experience, how hot the heat waves feel when I hold my hand over the skillet. I don't have the words. But after measuring it enough times with the infrared thermometer… I rarely use it now.

If you are learning I highly recommend this Etekcity Infrared Thermometer model 1080. It measures fahrenheit or celcius. There are several manufacturers, several models, check the amerzit or any of the big internet retailers. Or your local automotive parts store (where I got mine).

Temp (1).JPG

Last edited:

Actually, I thought you were a BOT. No intent to offend. you got questions, we got answers.

They said it all & I agree.
I only sear meat for stew beef, like Woody said.
But know that there are many ways to use that tech in the kitchen.

Thanks for all your helpful responses. Ultimately this has answered my question. I am going to buy one of those infra red thermometers.

I think I will be using the water trick as well from now on.

@Woody that is still good information. I will try it next time I cook a steak. I have never thought to flip the steak when it starts smoking as for me I always thought to myself that the cooking had just started when the smoke appears - I always ended up with overcooked steak.

Stop over in the introductions thread and tell a little about yourself and your aspirations.

Thank you, will do.

154 C is a tough one. Too hot for water (I think). Try taking your best guess and dropping a bit of butter in the pan. Butter smokes at:

FAT / OILSMOKE POINTAPPLICATION
Butter300-350°F (149-175°C)Saute, quick pan-fry, baking, roasting

More information on smoke points can be found here: Smoke Points of Cooking Oils

and of many other places on the web.

Every time I see Maillard reaction, I want toast :)
Hi there,

I know that I need to get the surface of my meat to 154 degrees celcius in order to initiate the maillard reaction. However, I have no way of figuring out if the frying pan is hot enough before adding the meat. I tried doing this yesterday and the temperature was not high enough - the meat started cooking and was not browning.

I do not have access to a thermometer (not that I would know how to use it for this purpose) and want to avoid buying one as money is short.

Second question, I cook my food on three different ovens. There are two at my flat but one is usually in use by a flatmate. I also cook when visiting family. The problem is, all the stoves seem to have different temperatures at different settings. Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to predict what a setting will do to my food? For example, one of the stoves seems to heat water to boiling point even when it is on "low". That makes me wonder whether I should use "medium" where a recipe tells me to cook on high heat.

154 C is a tough one. Too hot for water (I think). Try taking your best guess and dropping a bit of butter in the pan. Butter smokes at:

FAT / OILSMOKE POINTAPPLICATION
Butter300-350°F (149-175°C)Saute, quick pan-fry, baking, roasting

More information on smoke points can be found here: Smoke Points of Cooking Oils

and of many other places on the web.

Every time I see Maillard reaction, I want toast :)
I use butter, but have no deal what the heat is.

I use butter, but have no deal what the heat is.
"Butter" is a wide range of compositions, hence a wide range of smoke points. :dunno:

Sometimes, close enough is best, or good enough. If your butter smokes, likely you are hot enough.

Last edited:
The right way to sear meat:
1. Do it in a darkened-to-gloomy light.
2. Heat the pan until it glows, over high heat.
3. Wearing gloves and forearm protection, drop in the meat and stand back.
4. after one minute - or as soon as the flames die down, turn the meat over.
5. After 45 seconds, remove the pan from the heat.
6. About 10 second later, remove the meat from the pan.
7 Examine the meat. Decide whether to try to eat it, or to give it to the dog.

This procedure has been in the family for . . . ever since the evening before my woman left me.

I got one of those heat guns somewhere.
I do the hand test , much like peanut, has not fail me forty years.

Where's Hashbrown I know he can cook a slab of meat!??!

I already apologized. I thought you were another BOT. :p
Anyway, you're not, so if you need help, just ask. :)

Thanks for all your helpful responses. Ultimately this has answered my question. I am going to buy one of those infra red thermometers.

I think I will be using the water trick as well from now on.

Let us know, or me, which thermometer you get. Mine is about 10 years old, gone through several batteries over time. I've been wondering if it's still accurate. If it's off by 10% I need to get another one. So I'd like to know about the one you get if you don't mind.

Let us know, or me, which thermometer you get. Mine is about 10 years old, gone through several batteries over time. I've been wondering if it's still accurate. If it's off by 10% I need to get another one. So I'd like to know about the one you get if you don't mind.
Mine was over ten years old, when the boss said throw it in the trash, I have never tested it for accraties.

My only advice about searing meat is that if you drop a drop of water on the surface, it should spit it back at you (sizzle/pop).
For ovens: there is this old way~
Paper Test: Although this test is not as accurate as either the oven control or thermometer, it will prove helpful when other means of testing the oven are not available. Place a piece of white unglazed paper in center of oven after it has been lighted for ten minutes. The heat is correct when the paper browns in the time specified below.
  • Quick Loaf Breads – at 375 degrees F. [moderate oven] – 1 1/2 minutes
  • Biscuits – at 475 degrees F. [hot oven] – 1/2 minute
  • Cookies – at 400 degrees F. [moderate hot oven] – 1 minute
  • Pastry Shells – at 475 degrees F. [very hot oven] – 1/2 minute
  • Meringue – at 325 degrees F. [slow oven] – 2 minutes

I can't believe I missed this thread.
I used one like that weekly in my former occupation.
Want to find which cylinder is dead in 4 seconds? It can do that.
Diesel engine not getting enough fuel at max-load? That too.
And I plead guilty for using it when I was grilling meat too. :)
It don't lie.:thumbs:
(Oh, and I am old enough to remember when none of the handheld IR temp gauges sold for less than $350 :eyeballs:)

Last edited:
They are great when learning to cook. I used it everyday. Heard about it on the Good Eats cooking show.

I still use it regularly. Recently I switched to a #8 dutch oven for deep frying (from a little fry daddy). The legs fit perfectly through the grates on my gas stove.

Anyway, I've been using my IR temp gauge. It gives me great control on a gas burner. I can fry wonton at 300 degrees or wings at 375 and know the temp of the oil continually. The cast iron pot holds it's temp well, slow thermal response. Just point and pull the trigger the IR gauge.

I regret wasting money on the "fry daddy" now. It didn't hold the oil temp... Well, it did hold the oil. The temp not so much! 😁

Latest posts

Back