Shoes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Somewhere in our archives we have discussed shoes as part of our preps. Do you have enough on hand? Can you get more? Can you make new ones? Can you repair what you have? We were all in agreement that in a real TEOTWAWKI situation finding anything new would be virtually impossible. We will have to fix what we have, or make our own. I found this link that was interesting, and looks pretty easy. JMHO I thought repairing what you have would be the best option rather than starting from scratch. You can go out to about the 4:00 minute mark to get into the actual "How to" part. Seems like the materials are all readily available, and not expensive. Might be a good idea to get some and put it aside. Hope this helps.

I'm pretty sure I have more shoes than miles left on me. 2 pair of Vasque hiking boots, one with many hundreds of miles, one I am still breaking in after 20 years. Lots of other shoes, pretty sure enough to see me through to the end, I can't walk like I used too, lots of mileage.

Somewhere in our archives we have discussed shoes as part of our preps. Do you have enough on hand? Can you get more? Can you make new ones? Can you repair what you have? We were all in agreement that in a real TEOTWAWKI situation finding anything new would be virtually impossible. We will have to fix what we have, or make our own. I found this link that was interesting, and looks pretty easy. JMHO I thought repairing what you have would be the best option rather than starting from scratch. You can go out to about the 4:00 minute mark to get into the actual "How to" part. Seems like the materials are all readily available, and not expensive. Might be a good idea to get some and put it aside. Hope this helps.

Great post idea, Morgan!
What I have thought about is what kinds of shoes do we need? Women might have different types than men.

1. Tennis, sneakers or sports type shoes, for everyday
2. Sandals for summer
3. Dress shoes
4. Water proof boots (rubber boots)
5. hiking type boots
6. Snow boots for those in northern climates

How many spares should we have? I know that I wear my sneakers more than any of my other shoes, and wear them out more quickly than others. I have a pair of dress shoes, slip ons that are many years old. They are like new.

I always thought buying cheap flip-flops for a dollar would be a good prep item. They would be excellent inside easily made moccasins. Also would work as insoles for mostly wore out shoes. Or put them in over-size shoes so they fit you better. They would make good insulation in the winter if you have to stand still outside in the cold much.

I am a bit of a shoe freak. My feet are shaped a bit odd, narrow across the ball of the foot and tall from the arch to the top of the foot, with long toes. I have trouble finding shoes that fit well. So, I'm not afraid of spending some money for good fitting, high quality shoes, and I have a lot of them.

Good work boots would be at the top of the list for me. In a SHTF situation, having durable waterproof boots like my work boots is a no brainer. Mine all have steel toes as well, which could come in handy.

Old school western boots could be useful, as they are usually re-soleable. Plus if you need to ride a horse, any boot or shoe with a thick tread isn't going to cut it.

I'm also a sucker for good hiking shoes. Presently I wear North Face GTX 110. Best light hiker on earth IMO.

I am not a fan of sandals, especially the cheapo Dollar Store kind. They are terribly uncomfortable to me. I do have some leather ones for lazy summer days but I'd rather have the protection of a full shoe.

Don't forget socks. They're almost as important as the shoe. I won't go into the different types of socks, but having the right socks for the situation can be a lifesaver.

So for me, my list is these, all with waterproof construction:

1) work boots
2) Hikers
3) western/cowboy boots
4) athletic shoes

Everything else is unnecessary if the S hits the F...

I tend to go with boots and athletic shoes. I prefer a zip-up combat boot (I just don't bend well to lace them up). I also wear the tennis/cross trainer type shoes, I will wear them till they are almost gone, then cut out the tongue and use them like house slippers, I have a pair for indoors and one for quick excursions into the yard.

My hunting boots are a story all to themselves, different weights, some insulated, all waterproof.

I'm in the same category as Dademoss. I have more boots, and shoes than I have years left. That said I still love good hiking boots and shoes. A new 511 store opened up near me, and after one brief visit I can see this is going to cost me a lot of money. They have a really nice selection of boots.

Hiwall, your idea of buying chap flip flops is sound. You have a premade sole that can be used with an upper to recondition a shoe .

Weedygarden, you are right. There will probably be a demand for all kinds of shoes if the situation is bad enough. Truthfully, I don't think we ever throw shoes out. Maybe old tennis shoes that are really worn out. If you save them IMHO they will also be a good barter item.

What is that? What does it look like?
It was my birthday present (April). Posted it in the What's everybody doing? thread but makes more sense here.
1906 Singer I like the old machines because there are illustrations of every part and every part is make-able or repairable. (No plastic)
I did add a motor so he is electric &/or hand crank.
1624623858425.png

It was my birthday present (April). Posted it in the What's everybody doing? thread but makes more sense here.
1906 Singer I like the old machines because there are illustrations of every part and every part is make-able or repairable. (No plastic)
I did add a motor so he is electric &/or hand crank.
View attachment 68564
Thank you! What a nice machine to have. There is much that can be done with a machine like this.

Put me in the more boots than miles left catagory.

I do have a few shoe anvils... just in case.

Ben
I just found one with a smaller and larger “foot” for $7 at a yard sale last weekend. I was thrilled 😁. Perhaps someday I will have a space designated to and set up for shoes and leather.

This is a great topic. I hadn't thought about it. I'll have to think twice when getting shoes. I'm the type that wears shoes until the bottom is ruined, so there aren't that many pairs around.

I really like hiwall's idea of stocking up on cheap flip flops.

I'm in the same category as Dademoss. I have more boots, and shoes than I have years left.
Add me to the list. I have enough shoes to make it all the way to the casket.:thumbs:
The size and shape I wear are rare enough that I can't pass up good ones if they are on sale. (They almost never are)
I do still have my pair of bulletproof steel-toe work boots...
I see them every now and then when I go in the storage trailer.:rolleyes:
...And I celebrate every day that I don't have to put them on anymore.:D

Last edited:
I have a few pair of boots, mostly hikers, but a few pair of work boots as well. I just got a new pair at work, Keens, steel shank, composite toe cup. Nice boots. But I wear tennis shoes most of the time. New Balance makes the best ones for me. I wear a 14 D, not real easy to find, and I like certain models. So when I find them I'll but 3-4 pair. Keep my old ones for working in the yard and garden till they are shot. Got one pair of sandels. Tevas IIRC, they aren't bad for just messin around wear in the boat kinda thing. I love my moccisains for around the house, or even driving. So comfortable.

Foot wear is a challenge for me, i can wear out a pair of work boots in a few months, regardless of price.

I have been researching DIY foot wear. One good source is a book and dvd by Mark Baker called Pilgrims Journey. He talks about shoe pacs and moccasins. There is also a book by michael ager called clothing made in the wilderness. These books are available from Dixie Gun Works. Also these books are of primitive methods so to speak.

Foot wear is a challenge for me, i can wear out a pair of work boots in a few months, regardless of price.

I have been researching DIY foot wear. One good source is a book and dvd by Mark Baker called Pilgrims Journey. He talks about shoe pacs and moccasins. There is also a book by michael ager called clothing made in the wilderness. These books are available from Dixie Gun Works. Also these books are of primitive methods so to speak.
There was a post sorta recently on Woodrunner’s Diary blog about making moccasins. I have the book he mentions but am drawing my own both for me and for Hubby.
Also, you fellas have no idea. Hubby can find a pair of boots that he wears and likes and 2 years later can order the same boots. Women’s shoes are a different story. Finding a pair without stupid pink shiny things is a challenge all its own but assuming I find a pair, can’t even find the same pair by the end of the season. Y’all are lucky.

There was a post sorta recently on Woodrunner’s Diary blog about making moccasins. I have the book he mentions but am drawing my own both for me and for Hubby.
Also, you fellas have no idea. Hubby can find a pair of boots that he wears and likes and 2 years later can order the same boots. Women’s shoes are a different story. Finding a pair without stupid pink shiny things is a challenge all its own but assuming I find a pair, can’t even find the same pair by the end of the season. Y’all are lucky.
Even if a woman wanted to order the same pair in 2 years, they are not likely to even be available.
I wear a 9 or 9.5 AA. Finding shoes in narrow is not easy. This is why I buy multiples, in different colors, when I find shoes that fit. Narrow shoe widths are usually found at specialty shoe stores and are not cheap. I have always watched for sales when I shoe shop.

7. Slippers, also known as house shoes. I like good leather ones with a fur lining. I have a couple pair.

Wouldn't it be great to have a shoe making class? There are several videos on YouTube about making shoes, boots, etc. Getting forms that fit our feet would be something.
https://icanmakeshoes.com/supply-shop/ (U.K.)
https://theoldtimey.com/seven-essential-shoe-making-supplies-every-modern-cobbler-needs-know/

Last edited:
I have plenty of cowboy boots. Although not great for running, they will last forever...and can be super comfortable, assuming you buy good quality ones.
Secondarily, I have hiking style boots, a few pairs...these I would use for activities requiring lots of movement. I buy very good quality in all cases so longevity could be expected to be years in all cases.

Work boots usually last me about 10 months. I used to always wear Red Wing loggers and I could have them resoled and get a couple years out of those. I wear an Irish Setter now and less than a year they are toast. I never throw boots away so I probably have 20 pair of wore out boots that could last me as long as I need. I got a new pair Friday they don’t last me long, but I could still get a lot of use out of the old ones if I had to.
3B082509-59DA-42EE-8A94-980DEFA00FEF.jpeg
F035EBE7-6505-4693-929E-EF9067D39CD1.jpeg

Work boots usually last me about 10 months. I used to always wear Red Wing loggers and I could have them resoled and get a couple years out of those. I wear an Irish Setter now and less than a year they are toast. I never throw boots away so I probably have 20 pair of wore out boots that could last me as long as I need. I got a new pair Friday they don’t last me long, but I could still get a lot of use out of the old ones if I had to.View attachment 68683View attachment 68684
I know they're more expensive but I stick with the Red Wing boots. I get two years out of mine, and they're still useable but the tread is worn down enough that they don't meet regulation at work.

I know they're more expensive but I stick with the Red Wing boots. I get two years out of mine, and they're still useable but the tread is worn down enough that they don't meet regulation at work.

Redwing doesn't make a boot that I like anymore, I still like the logger but they're just to heavy for me these days. Irish Setter is the closest thing to it for me.

Redwing doesn't make a boot that I like anymore, I still like the logger but they're just to heavy for me these days. Irish Setter is the closest thing to it for me.
I have gone away from boots with a raised heel. It bothers my plantar fasciitis. I use the Red Wing #4402, best all around boot I've ever found. 6" tall, Steel toe, waterproof, very stable on uneven surfaces and you could even hike in them in a pinch. Little pricey at $235 but 100% worth it...

Finally!!!! I found a pair of boots that fits and doesn't cripple me - yay! I could put this in prep. thread, but it's here. I spent roughly $250 last year for a pair of Merrils. I can walk in them, but some days my feet tell me they don't like me. These are Columbias and wer $90 - even better! So I got an extra pair for the closet. I like when my feet don't hurt :)

Latest posts

Back