Shoes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally!!!! I found a pair of boots that fits and doesn't cripple me - yay! I could put this in prep. thread, but it's here. I spent roughly $250 last year for a pair of Merrils. I can walk in them, but some days my feet tell me they don't like me. These are Columbias and wer $90 - even better! So I got an extra pair for the closet. I like when my feet don't hurt :)
Colombia fits me good in the heel and mid foot but my toes slide around too much. It's a shame because like you said, the price isn't so bad. I still have a pair around that I bought about 10 years ago, in a box somewhere. I should dig them out and see if they still fit...

Colombia fits me good in the heel and mid foot but my toes slide around too much. It's a shame because like you said, the price isn't so bad. I still have a pair around that I bought about 10 years ago, in a box somewhere. I should dig them out and see if they still fit...
Might try them on. Our feet change as we age - uh hem, I don't mean that we are aging though ;)

Footwear is a major prep item for me. It’s also really easy for me, since I’ve been wearing the same footwear for ages. In winter I wear the slip-on storm chasers from L L Bean, so I always keep an eye out for those at the end if the season and snap up an extra pair if they’re on sale and have my size. In the summer it’s Muck Boots, so I have them on my wish list on Amazon and if they go on a deep sale, pick up an extra pair. I do the same with Crocs (which have gotten so expensive!), and also with hikers (Columbia and Merrils).

The hard thing for me is shoe prepping for my husband. He doesn’t feel the same way I do about it, and doesn’t communicate what works for him (because he knows I’ll run with it), so I don’t feel comfortable buying backup footwear for him.

We have an acad emy spts and a tsc here, supposedly good shoes and a couple more national chains. But, I went through a decade of bad luck. Several times I paid $120+ for boots only to have them fall apart in a year here on the farm. Soles separating and stitching unraveling in the uppers, just crappy boots.

I hated to spend the money but I finally bought a pair of Meindl boots. I wore those 4 years doing farm work or to town. They could stand up to the beating and still looked good. I think I paid $275 which is cheaper than $120 a year long term. My current pair is 6yrs old and going strong, don't do as much farm work these days.

I own a total of 7 pairs of shoes, every one has a purpose/meets a need. Nothing more than a tool to me.

I have a pair of Sorels for my winter boots. They must be over 15 years old now. Walking on snow or riding a machine doesn't really wear them out. I have spare liners for them so I could build mukluks if the need arose.

Mostly I wear New Balance or my heel spurs stand up and start cussing me out. I've a few years of those in reserve.

We have an acad emy spts and a tsc here, supposedly good shoes and a couple more national chains. But, I went through a decade of bad luck. Several times I paid $120+ for boots only to have them fall apart in a year here on the farm. Soles separating and stitching unraveling in the uppers, just crappy boots.

I hated to spend the money but I finally bought a pair of Meindl boots. I wore those 4 years doing farm work or to town. They could stand up to the beating and still looked good. I think I paid $275 which is cheaper than $120 a year long term. My current pair is 6yrs old and going strong, don't do as much farm work these days.

I own a total of 7 pairs of shoes, every one has a purpose/meets a need. Nothing more than a tool to me.
Thanks, I need to look into the Meindl boots for my hub, he always out works his work boots!

A 5.1.1 store opened close to me, and the boot department has been calling my name ever since. I don't think I can resist. When I get a new pair of boots I will probably pick up a backpack as well, which I need like a fish needs a bicycle.

Shoe stores are a considerable ways off, as I live in the mountains. I tried buying on line and had to return a number of boots because of sizing issues. I don't get out a lot any more but found that my Merrells that I ordered are true to size. Don't know how long they will last though but seem to be a good boot. Due to my age it's hard for me to find a good boot because most are quite heavy. I did order a pair of Rocky brand snake boots a couple years ago and they to are true to size as well, although I learned that boots with side zippers are not waterproof as advertised but only water resistant.

I recently bought two more pair of boots just like the ones that are now on my feet and put the two new , never worn boots in the stash . They are made of tough leather and each pair should last several years as proven by the pair now on my feet . It takes a tough boot to hang with me and my lifestyle , whimpy just will not do .

I am happy with my shoes, the boots I have are sufficient at this time. I wear tennis shoes around the house, but they don't last long (tread on the soles comes loose). I have some old good lace up tennis shoes that held up well enough, but the tread wore smooth: I removed the tongues and use them as slippers.

I get a pair of new balance walking shoes every year. They last one year for trips to town, doctor, social casual, then get relegated to another year around the farm. So I get 2 years of use but they do fall apart, usually sole problems send them to the trash. I wish I could find a better shoe to fill this need.

Muck boots used to be a problem. I'd buy a new pair at WM for $75 and they rarely lasted a whole year. Now I order from cabela's or other hunting supplier. They cost twice as much but my last pair are almost 3yrs old, still going strong.

I wear New Balance to work everyday. Then like Peanut said they are held back for working around here. Probably have 4 pair in the line now, one of which is just for tilling the garden and weed eating. I get a year or so from a new pair then another 2-3 years in rotation around here.
For boots I had a pair of ROcky boots for 15 years or better, finally wore a hole in the sole. My hiking boots are Vasque and one pair is 20+ yo, the other around 10. Work boots I like Danner and Keen.

Put me in the more boots than miles left catagory.

I do have a few shoe anvils... just in case.

Ben
I have inherited the family farm and my Dad has several shoe anvils. I had never considered them but now they seem more than just some unusual stuff dad had acquired for some unknown reason. I also fall into the more shoes/footwear than time left. Probably have more footwear than Amelda Marcos.

I have inherited the family farm and my Dad has several shoe anvils. I had never considered them but now they seem more than just some unusual stuff dad had acquired for some unknown reason. I also fall into the more shoes/footwear than time left. Probably have more footwear than Amelda Marcos.
You and @ThePrincess .

Ben

Shoes and boots really ought to be at the top of the list, along with socks and underwear. With everything that's getting harder to find in the stores, my guess is that these items will be in short supply in the times ahead.

Shoes and boots really ought to be at the top of the list, along with socks and underwear. With everything that's getting harder to find in the stores, my guess is that these items will be in short supply in the times ahead.

I agree. I have packages of new socks, wash clothes, dish towels, etc. I am as close to ready as one can be although one is never truly as well stocked as they need be.

Would love to see a pix of the she anvils (lasts?)

It was my birthday present (April). Posted it in the What's everybody doing? thread but makes more sense here.
1906 Singer I like the old machines because there are illustrations of every part and every part is make-able or repairable. (No plastic)
I did add a motor so he is electric &/or hand crank.
View attachment 68564
I am soooooooo jealous and proud for you at the same time
I have the Chinese version
impor5ted pictures 5231.jpg

I agree. I have packages of new socks, wash clothes, dish towels, etc. I am as close to ready as one can be although one is never truly as well stocked as they need be.
I hand knit my washcloths, because I like them a little bit thicker than what you could buy.
I sew hand towels,hot pads.
Anything I can't make,sew,knit,crochet or quilt I buy.

Thanks for reminding me, I need more socks, I prefer to have at least 5 pair in reserve and I haven't updated in a couple of years... I had ordered some just before COVID but as they get holes I discard and replace with new stock....

Thanks for reminding me, I need more socks, I prefer to have at least 5 pair in reserve and I haven't updated in a couple of years... I had ordered some just before COVID but as they get holes I discard and replace with new stock....

I went on a sock buying binge about 10 years ago. The heavy marino, ragg and buffalo wool boot socks mostly. The thick buffalo wools socks are my prized possessions, and the company stoped making them that thick years ago. I have so many, I will never use them all. So I have stashed several dozen in caches and other hidden locations. Never know when you will need them.

Boots are another obsession. Mostly Baffin, Sorel, Keen, and Danner as my preps with some Carhartt, LL Bean and others mixed in. My “go to” boots in the summer are the Keen and Danner, and the winter its Baffin and Sorel. Steel toed Carhartt boots for working.

I am soooooooo jealous and proud for you at the same time
I have the Chinese version
View attachment 72853
Don't be too jealous - you do more with yours than I have with mine. I have been looking for a bobbin winder. I can sit and thread the bobbin by hand but haven't taken the time. I have a case cut out for one of Hubby's tools ready to stitch and still haven't. I need to get over it and just stitch something (kinda a fear factor of screwing up on leather). I don't want to make expensive errors. Yours actually looks like a better made one than some I've seen for sale recently. Is it a little older? Probably better metals.

Back