So I had this idea...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if deep frier grease would work.
Smell them fries!
Any oil or fat will work. I save rancid cooking oil for candles. I haven't seen a Lehman's link in a while so here is one for what they call an olive oil lamp. I bought these when they were much cheaper. You could make your own with baling wire and round or flat wicks.
https://www.lehmans.com/category/olive-oil-lamps
We used one of these for several years. It is currently sitting in the boathouse collecting rust. They work well as far as heating, and even cooking. You take one of the eyes out if you are in a hurry to fry or boil something. Getting that first pot of coffee going is a prime example. There are far more efficient heaters on the market. As long as you like splitting wood this does an okay job. If you have to get up several times in the night to ease your bladder then the fire shouldn't go out, otherwise your mornings will be overly cool.

So it begs the question, has anybody here used propane/natural gas for winter heat in a small cabin or camper? I used a tiny office heater or my oven to heat the place up good, then I'd bundle up for the night.
I have a clay pot set up (for fun). It helps take the chill off in a smaller room with 3-4 tea lights. I also have a kerosene heater. It will keep a regular sized room warm. I have an indoor propane heater that is in the summer kitchen. It’s an awesome source of heat but we don’t like how it makes us feel. We had a wood stove up the mountain and loved it.
All that said, we aren’t in the house all day and we are in and out of the house quite a bit which brings in fresh air.
We have an issue with the furnace in this house and landlords won’t replace it so I also have an electric whole-house heater. If I remember correctly, it was <$200 but yes it’s still electric which is why all the backups.

Latest posts

Back