So? What did you get for Christmas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
Christmas is not about presents and it really is true that it is better to give than receive. Just the same sometimes we receive a gift that is fun, or practical, or special, or just plain awesome. If that happened to be you this year, tell us what you got for Christmas? And I think it's fair to include anything you gifted yourself, even special time with loved ones.

Christmas was spent at Heavenward Farms, where Lori volunteers. She cleaned some stalls and took a trail ride, I took pictures (https://dademoss.smugmug.com/Heavenward-Farms-Christmas-2019) :) For gifts, this year, Lori and I exchanged a "Red Panda Experience" at the local zoo. http://cincinnatizoo.org/plan-your-visit/behind-the-scenes-experience/#symple-tab-red-panda

Our Christmas gifts were of the "Stocking Stuffer Variety" She got a necklace, some candies and snacks she likes, and I got some candies and snacks I like, and later we will go and visit with Red Pandas at the zoo.

Last edited:
I guess the older I get...the less I care about getting gifts , it's fun to trick the kids and grandkids into telling what they got... And making my a big fuss over ever little thing I got.

My biggest excitement is watching them getting gifts

Sitting around a big dinner table and having fun.

Oh , I got socks, a robe, a nice furry throw, a new watch, some candy..

Wife and I buy each other things year round.

I got the wife to take me for a ride in my Eldorado, first time she ever drove it...she's hooked.

Jim

I am usually surprised when the kids open their gifts, as I rarely know what we bought them. :)

This year I received a new water bottle, a pair of thick fleece pants (aka snow blowing pants), a few wonderful homemade Christmas cards, and a nice day snuggling with kids & watching Christmas movies.

Per our self imposed guidelines, I received a Ralph Lauren Polo button front sweater from DH -bought at St. Andrews thrift- (cream color) to wear to Church as I am always cold.
And a big bag of shelled pecans from Sister-in-law.
DH got an unopened new package of socks from thrift store, a bronze leopard statue from a yard sale and a big box of cookies that he likes.

From my wife I got a warm sweater, jacket, coat and although it hasn't arrived yet a service#1 khukuri from KHHI Nepal.

From my children a few thousand dollars worth of prep items. When the boxes started arriving I just assumed they were things my wife had ordered until she asked why I hadn't opened them. Seems the kids were pestering her to know my reaction.

The most important gift I received was talking to my family everyone from Granny down to the great grandchildren.

We spent Christmas with my wife's family. It was actually fun this year. No drama and the food was good. The no-drama was due to most of them realizing that Trump isn't going to destroy America. Last year they were all rabid anti-Trump. I just smiled at them and said about time.
The best part was getting to see our Grandson. He hasn't been here for 2 years. My son and grandson are coming to our house today and staying for a couple of days. As for gifts, I bought myself a 50" TV for the bedroom. It wasn't expensive only $249 but it serves the purpose. I can watch YouTube videos.
There still isn't anything worth watching but that's not the TV's fault.

Bah Humbug!
Gave nothing and got nothing aince 1984.Thats the way we like it. Thank goodness, not only did the kids get more particular but the number's grey to 26 grands and great grands.
Started off a religious thing [ ceased all pagan holidays ] for first few years but thats no longer the reason. We still like the music and people are nicer.

The best gift was spending Christmas Eve with the local kids and grandkids.
Daughter and her hubby flew up from Tampa to spend Christmas with us- (her parents and grandparents).
Before they left, I told them that was the best gift of all:).

Strawberry got a new bone she can't bury under my pillows.
It's 3 foot long. She can't get it on my bed.
I got a moose blanket with hand prints of oldest son, his lady and all their kids.
The kids hand prints are in their favorite colors.
Including Zeus's paw print in yellow right beside grand daughter's little yellow hand print.
Might have Zeus's nose print too.
Also in yellow.
Youngest son and daughter in law told me a few days before Christmas they are expecting due July.
As long as everybody is healthy, I'm happy.
Next week I get a new right knee.
Life is good.

Got to spend Christmas eve with mom and dad, sis and BIL, her daughter and her BF. Yesterday at the uncles house with all his family and mine. One cousin came in from New Mexico (her and hubs are stationed at Kirtland AFB) I hadn't saw in 3 years. Good times and way too much food.
Wife and I decided we needed a new mattress so that was our gift to each other. I got her some perfume and some ear rings she wanted. She gave me some cash for the gun show this weekend, well maybe anyway.

But gotta say Christmas just ain't the same without my grand parents around. They passed in 99 and 02. I still haven't gotten past losing them.

Got to spend Christmas eve with mom and dad, sis and BIL, her daughter and her BF. Yesterday at the uncles house with all his family and mine. One cousin came in from New Mexico (her and hubs are stationed at Kirtland AFB) I hadn't saw in 3 years. Good times and way too much food.
Wife and I decided we needed a new mattress so that was our gift to each other. I got her some perfume and some ear rings she wanted. She gave me some cash for the gun show this weekend, well maybe anyway.

But gotta say Christmas just ain't the same without my grand parents around. They passed in 99 and 02. I still haven't gotten past losing them.

Good fro you BacP, we go to Atlanta at least 3times a year to visit ours.They don't come here as often but that is good I don't have to worry about them on the road. Thanksgiving was always here with all the kids and grandkids,but that changed because I didn't want all of them on the road. So now we go there. Kids use to like coming here we had tents all over the yard. Us not liking motels all the granfkids have been on many trips with us in campgrounds or on beach in tents,rain sleet or snow. :)
All chose to come here on xmas break because parents worked so they had to stay home but here we did other things, so they had Christmas 1st week in Jan before they went back to school. Parents couldn't beleive they chose here over xmas. Except for sons in Texas their mon insisted on the 4 being home for Christmas holidays. Till they became oldr teens of course.

Sort of funny, when the black friday sales were going on I bought myself a set of dewalt drillbits and a 48 piece set of milwaukee drivers. Someone got me a 3/8 variable speed drill and believe it or not... another set of dewalt drillbits just like the one I bought. (one will go with the long term storage tools). I really needed a variable speed/reversible drill.

Some one got me a 113 piece set of drivers and 5 more of the phillips #2 drivers made by dewalt. The #2 phillips are the ones that always wear out first.

Looks like I'm set for drill bits and drivers for my life time. :D Someone else got me the general tool drill bit sharpening attachment I posted about here. https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/drill-bit-sharpening.7559/

I'm so happy the drill is corded... I despise cordless drills, saws or cutting tools. It's been my experience the batteries are never charged when you need them or if a battery goes bad 3 or 4 years down the road you can't get a replacement, have to buy a new tool. I've owned 3 cordless drills. All 3 found their way to a dumpster long ago.

I own 3 (now 4) corded drills, two are 40yrsold and the other is 20 years old. My old drills are still in good working order. I have never heard of a cordless drill with longevity any where near those numbers.

drill.JPG

Last edited:
I got another Christmas gift yesterday in the mail. A black Wyze cam. I ordered a few of them to give away as Christmas gifts, and a couple were back ordered, but they arrived last week. Then one more showed up. So I ordered 5 and received 6. I sent a message to Wyze and they essentially said "keep it". So Merry Christmas to me.

wyze.jpg

Per our self imposed guidelines, I received a Ralph Lauren Polo button front sweater from DH -bought at St. Andrews thrift- (cream color) to wear to Church as I am always cold.
And a big bag of shelled pecans from Sister-in-law.
DH got an unopened new package of socks from thrift store, a bronze leopard statue from a yard sale and a big box of cookies that he likes.
Did your self-imposed guidelines have anything to do with not buying new? I must have missed this somewhere, what are your SIGs (self-imposed guidelines)?

Did your self-imposed guidelines have anything to do with not buying new? I must have missed this somewhere, what are your SIGs (self-imposed guidelines)?

We spend next to nothing on gifts. Only can come from a thrift shop or yard sale. It's only the two of us so that takes any pressure off. And gives us a challenge!

Back